HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #13

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #13 Prospect?
Ben Hutton 0 0%
Wesley Myron 0 0%
Ludwig Blomstrand 0 0%
Matthew Beattie 0 0%
Steven Anthony 0 0%
Peter Andersson 0 0%
Kellan Tochkin 1 0.88%
Alexandre Mallet 52 45.61%
David Honzik 0 0%
Yann Sauve 29 25.44%
Stefan Schneider 0 0%
Bill Sweatt 5 4.39%
Prab Rai 1 0.88%
Alex Friesen 16 14.04%
Pathrik Westerholm 0 0%
Adam Polasek 5 4.39%
Jeremy Price 1 0.88%
Henrik Tommernes 1 0.88%
Alex Grenier 2 1.75%
Darren Archibald 1 0.88%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I always felt, by the way, that Sobotka might be a good comparable for Friesen if he develops. Both are gritty, undersized centermen whose skating aren't the best but they get around. But he's got to show that he can produce offensively too.
Sobotka just absolutely destroyed the AHL at 20 though (above PPG) — I don't think anyone expected that to happen. Friesen was still in juniors at 20/21. We'll see, I guess.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Sobotka just absolutely destroyed the AHL at 20 though (above PPG) — I don't think anyone expected that to happen. Friesen was still in juniors at 20/21. We'll see, I guess.
Yeah, and Friesen's skating is one of his stronger talents; his top speed is good, but his agility is what makes him a great skater, it's top end.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
This one is very close for me between Mallet and Sauve. I feel that they are very similar draft picks in that, they are probably going to be at least bottom line NHL'ers. However, since his draft, Sauve has reinforced his potential as a 5/6 D-man, while Mallet has not yet shown that he doesn't have top 9 potential at forward. As a result, went with Mallet because of potential.
He hasn't yet shown anything because he was just drafted so, unlike Sauvé, hasn't played pro hockey. Isn't that a bit like saying Eddie Lack hasn't yet shown he couldn't be a 50 goal scorer if played at forward, so he's our top forward prospect?

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
He hasn't yet shown anything because he was just drafted so, unlike Sauvé, hasn't played pro hockey. Isn't that a bit like saying Eddie Lack hasn't yet shown he couldn't be a 50 goal scorer if played at forward, so he's our top forward prospect?
nope!

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:26 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
i'm saying that Mallet has more potential than Sauve, just in a roundabout way. Sauve has shown himself to be a very limited player at the pro-level. When drafted they were probably both say 7C's, but Sauve has already dropped to a 6C while Mallet, due to not playing pro-yet is still considered a 7C.

Make sense? (i'm not actually sure if it does )

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:10 AM
alternate

Went with Mallet. Seems to have the size and skillset to be a safe bet to at least see a cup of coffee in the bottom 6. Also has enough offensive potential to have a top 6 ceiling.

I think I'll be going defense the next four picks. Sauve, Polasek, Tommernes, Price, not sure which order yet. Don't know much about Tommernes, someone bring me up to speed?

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:36 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Went with Mallet. Seems to have the size and skillset to be a safe bet to at least see a cup of coffee in the bottom 6. Also has enough offensive potential to have a top 6 ceiling.

I think I'll be going defense the next four picks. Sauve, Polasek, Tommernes, Price, not sure which order yet. Don't know much about Tommernes, someone bring me up to speed?
He got hurt early on in the year but finished off with a solid year. He's spending next year in the SEL and hopefully continue to improve/don't get hurt again. For the most part, he's developing pretty well.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:07 AM
Derp Kassian

I like Mallett, I pray to god that he pans out because MG's 2nd round picks have been pretty horrible/show no hope.

I think Tommernes will shoot up the rankings once he comes to NA, get that hidden gem vibe from him. Then again he could wind up like Sebastien Erixon.. Don't think some of the guys get good development with the Wolves as they're healthy scratches at times. Would be nice if we could get the Heat.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Tommernes, from what can be gleaned from articles, had a good season. Statistically, the biggest improvement is similar to that of Corrado. His plus minus increased by 28 all the while being 2nd in defensemen TOI on his team, and 10th in the league for dmen TOI. That's fairly impressive since his defensive game is said to be his weaker point and shows he can handle top pairing minutes. He wouldn't be getting that on the Wolves so him staying in the SEL for one more year is good.

I'll try to post some articles when I get home. Don't have a translator on my phone.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
PRNuck

Unfortunately I've got about 4 guys ahead of Mallett at this point, just because he's too much of an unknown, and I don't have enough faith in our scouting staff.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
pdefenestrator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Unfortunately I've got about 4 guys ahead of Mallett at this point, just because he's too much of an unknown, and I don't have enough faith in our scouting staff.
The scouting staff who, just coincidentally, acquired the 16 players above Mallett?

pdefenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
vanwest

At this point, it's getting more and more likely that a lot of these guys never see the NHL. I went with Sauve only because he has actually played in the NHL and looks like he could slot in at some point as a 6th or 7th defenceman. If he improves he could even move higher but he seems right now to be the safest pick.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Agent007

I think we're done here. Time to close up shop and move on to #14.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote