HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Why isn't Clutterbuck on the PK?

Old
11-05-2013, 08:58 PM
RMimagery

vCash: 500
Why isn't Clutterbuck on the PK?

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet today but after tonight's pathetic PK yielding 4 PP goals, this now has more urgency.

Informative article on PointBlank:

http://islanderspointblank.com/islan...ing-penalties/

After you view the evidence, the article finishes with this:

"So, the Islanders traded Nino Niederreiter for a guy who is a Grabner-level penalty killer. That makes the deal look a lot better! Except you know, for one thing: Clutterbuck isn’t being used on the penalty kill.
This makes absolutely no sense at this point. It’d be understandable if they didn’t use Cal on 4 on 5 for a few games as he got back from his injury. But we’ve gone way past that. And still, Clutterbuck remains off the PK in favor of forwards — particularly Matt Martin — who have a history of far worse results.

This is basically the same thing as using Reasoner-Pandolfo over Michael Grabner on the penalty kill (this actually happened for a time in 11-12), and it makes absolutely no sense. To win, the Isles are going to need to use their players correctly in roles that make sense and for Cal Clutterbuck, one of those roles is as an elite penalty killer.

It’s too bad Capuano hasn’t noticed.
"

I've seen Clutter on the PP but get this man and his stache on the PK asap mmmkay.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:00 PM
InformTheMasses

I've mentioned it so many times my head is going to explode. I like Matt Martin and all but penalty killer he is not. Clutterbuck needs to be on the kill with Cizikas (Nielsen and Grabs need to get their mojo back)

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:06 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

He is off the pk but on the pp.

Classic clueless coach in action.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
iLandHer

I also wonder what PMB was doing on the 1st PP unit. Mind blowingly stupid.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
BigWorm

vCash: 50
Cappy

BigWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:44 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I've mentioned it so many times my head is going to explode. I like Matt Martin and all but penalty killer he is not. Clutterbuck needs to be on the kill with Cizikas (Nielsen and Grabs need to get their mojo back)
I like Martin on the PK. I didn't at first, but he's been better (not tonight).

Clutterbuck is used on the PP and not the PK - well, that's confusing to say the least.

And Grabner plays NINE minutes.

Dear God.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:48 PM
crashthenet

Regin, Clutterbuck and Bailey on the 2nd unit with PMB at the point. 30 goal scorer on the bench. Wow.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:58 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
Regin, Clutterbuck and Bailey on the 2nd unit with PMB at the point. 30 goal scorer on the bench. Wow.
I SORT OF understand Grabner not being on the Power Play. Here is where it's acceptable to leave Grabner off a PP2 unit. Grabner is playing on the second line (with nielsen and Bailey and logging tons of ES minutes AND loging heavy PK minutes) If both of those things are happening, I'm okay with him resting during the Powerplay. Right now, he is not getting enough Even Strength to justify benching him on the Powerplay.

I'm not a huge fan of using forwards for both PK AND PP (Frans Nielsen is THE exception).

Brock Nelson is a very good scorer on the powerplay and has a very good release. You want to give the kid confidence? Give him time with the extra man. Nelson should be on the second unit with Bailey and probably Matt Martin (net front presence, and I would have Clutterbuck on the PK instead of Martin.

Peter Regin should never be on a PP or PK unit
AMAC Should never be on ANY PP unit, never mind the first PP unit.
Obviously Donovan should be PP1
Thomas Hickey should be used with Hamonic on PP2 (I know he has NO Shot to speak of, but his vision skating and passing are all valuable assets, he would be off a PP unit as soon as Viz returned anyway)
Clutterbuck is not a PP player

It's actually really hard to misuse this many assets when it comes to special teams... REALLY hard

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote