Equestrian0101
Gymnastics - Artistic0123
Judo0112
Rowing4239
Sailing1102
Shooting1001
Swimming0123
Tennis1102

Surprised there isn't one for the host nation.

After a poor start we've started to move forward in the medal rankings. Today has been a fantastic day for us. 2 Golds, 2 Bronze and a Silver.

Gold in the Women's Rowing and Men's Cycling Time Trial
Silver in the 200m Breaststroke
Bronze in the Men's Eight in the Rowing and Men's Cycling Time Trial.

Track Cycling starts tomorrow and normally we do well in that.

Last edited by Shrimper: 08-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
on a related note....

I was actually going to ask someone this when I was over in London a month ago, but I never got around to it. But I'm sure it's been asked before...

Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales, correct? Why do you compete as Great Britain and not under those 3 seperate countries?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
on a related note....

I was actually going to ask someone this when I was over in London a month ago, but I never got around to it. But I'm sure it's been asked before...

Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales, correct? Why do you compete as Great Britain and not under those 3 seperate countries?
For some reason it's always team GB in Athletic etc but when in other sports they have there own associations so they compete as separate nations. Always been done that way.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Surprised there isn't one for the host nation.

After a poor start we've started to move forward in the medal rankings. Today has been a fantastic day for us. 2 Golds, 2 Bronze and a Silver.

Gold in the Women's Rowing and Men's Cycling Time Trial
Silver in the 200m Breaststroke
Bronze in the Men's Eight in the Rowing and Men's Cycling Time Trial.

Track Cycling starts tomorrow and normally we do well in that.
Good day, pity that Jamieson couldn't manage the gold. Also liked how we got the bronze in the men's eights this morning. They might have managed a silver if they had paced themselves better, but I liked the fact they really went after Germany just after halfway to try and get the win.

Track cycling has been tweaked to basically stop our dominance. We should still get at least 4 golds (Hoy, Trott & both team pursuits) whether we get more is if we can cause upsets in the team sprints and Pendleton can somehow get the better of Meares.

Will be interesting to see if Andy Murray and Laura Robson can put together a decent run in the mixed doubles as well. There are only 16 teams in it, so a win tonight and beating Hewitt/Stosur makes certain of at least getting a chance at a bronze.

Despite only having 2 golds at this point, I still like our chances of getting to 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
on a related note....

Great Britain is considered 1 country on the international arena. When it comes to sports where we compete as individual nations then that is largely down to the fact that the early history of that sport had early internationals between the home nations. So in football and rugby, for example, the early contests were between Scotland and England so it wasn't really going to merge after that.

What I have always found strange is the fact we compete as Great Britain (& Northern Ireland, which is never said!) and not as the United Kingdom. Even when the team was lead out at the opening ceremony, the banner only said Great Britain yet they managed one saying "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".

We're just odd

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I thought the only change in the cycling was to remove a few events and introduce the Omnium?

With Hoy, Pendleton, Trott and the Team Pursuits we should at least get 4 medals of some colour.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Alklha

The points race was replaced by the Omnium. We only got a bronze in the mens event last time around, so that isn't a big deal. They have removed the individual pursuit, which seen up pick up 2 golds, a silver and a bronze in Beijing. Also, the mens Madison is gone (where we didn't medal).

To make up for losing the 2 individual pursuits and the Madison, they have added the women's Keirin, team sprint and team pursuit.

As for Pendleton, hopefully she can manage gold but I think Meares will likely get the better of her.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
What I have always found strange is the fact we compete as Great Britain (& Northern Ireland, which is never said!) and not as the United Kingdom. Even when the team was lead out at the opening ceremony, the banner only said Great Britain yet they managed one saying "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".

We're just odd
It's because the Northern Irish athletes can choose whether to compete for Ireland or Great Britain, for obvious political reasons, some athletes would be very unhappy if they had to compete for Great Britain. Northern Ireland's population is purely made up of people like Tim Thomas.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

What even's are we in the finals off tomorrow then?

I believe there's a good chance of a medal in the Men's Lightweight Four. What else?

Also I looked and we're currently on course for 3 or so medals in the Sailing with one or two people just outside the medals.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Alklha

There are only really 3 realistic medal hopes tomorrow; double skulls (11:50), lightweight 4's (12:10) and the double trap shooting (3:00).

New Zealand will win the gold in the double skulls, battle for the next 2 spots is fairly open though, and Townsend and Lucas qualified from the heats well. Lightweight 4's looks promising. Peter Wilson is one of 3 or 4 that has a good chance for gold in the double trap, I think he is still the world record holder at the event.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Isn't there a canoe event as well but I don't think we're expected to do anything in that.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
It's because the Northern Irish athletes can choose whether to compete for Ireland or Great Britain, for obvious political reasons, some athletes would be very unhappy if they had to compete for Great Britain. Northern Ireland's population is purely made up of people like Tim Thomas.

If any Northern Ireland citizen ever got that reference, I feel certain you'd be beaten to death rather quickly.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post

If any Northern Ireland citizen ever got that reference, I feel certain you'd be beaten to death rather quickly.
It's true though maybe I should not generalise all of them but still.

I remember during the last general election asking my dad what the Sinn Feinn and Ulster Unionist parties were, and his answer was "basically, they are all nutters"

Anyway, less politics, more Olympics

Old
08-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Amazing day today. Medal rush!

Two golds, three silvers and another Silver or Gold to come in the Cycling with a final in swimming later.

1st and 2nd in the Equestrian too.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Amazing day today. Medal rush!

Two golds, three silvers and another Silver or Gold to come in the Cycling with a final in swimming later.

1st and 2nd in the Equestrian too.
A shame Pendleton and her partner got disqualified

Old
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Huge shame. Reckon they would've won. However, Gold in the men's!

Old
08-02-2012, 03:33 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Sounds like a great place....

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:12 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

how tall is David Cameron? I just ask b/c I saw a clip of him in the news standing next to Putin and there was quite the size difference...i was wondering whether Cameron was really tall or Putin was really short.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:49 AM
AlanHUK

Are you going to start a medal table for GB in the first post?

And what medals do we have a chance of going for today?

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
how tall is David Cameron? I just ask b/c I saw a clip of him in the news standing next to Putin and there was quite the size difference...i was wondering whether Cameron was really tall or Putin was really short.
Cameron is 6'1"

Putin is very short, he's only 5'7"

Old
08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
Are you going to start a medal table for GB in the first post?

And what medals do we have a chance of going for today?

If Shrimper wants to just put those image links in his first post, I'll update the images regularly.

As for medal chances today, already picked up a gold and 2 bronze medals in the rowing. Larry Godfrey was a medal hope in the Archery but has went out really early unfortunately. Coming up...

Track Cycling - Women's Keirin - Should come down to Pendleton against Meares for the gold here. The Australian is the favourite though (final at 6:38 in the UK).
Track Cycling - Men's Team Pursuit - We are big favourites for gold (5:59 start for the final)

Women's Football - Won't medal today, but if we beat Canada (and we should) then we are into the semi-finals, which means they'll be involved in a medal match. (7:30)

Judo - Women's +78kg - Surprisingly Karina Bryant has made it through to the semi-finals here, so will be in a fight for a medal. Her semi-final is at 2:21 and if she wins the final is at 4:00 (or bronze match at 3:00).

Swimming - Women's 800m Freestyle - Rebecca Adlington has a good chance to repeat her gold from Beijing here. (7:45)

Tennis - Andy Murray can make certain of a gold or silver if he can beat Djokovic today. In the mixed doubles, if he and Robson can beat Hewitt/Stosur then they will be in the semi-finals and certain of playing a medal match.

I think that is everything we have a chance in today, but difficult to be sure.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:47 AM

England isn't really an independent country, it's no more an individual state in the United Kingdom really than Ontario is in Canada.

We're the size of a small state in the USA though, and we're third in the overall medals table, only one gold away from being third in that too! So proud of every one of them, rule Britannia!

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
For some reason it's always team GB in Athletic etc but when in other sports they have there own associations so they compete as separate nations. Always been done that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Great Britain is considered 1 country on the international arena. When it comes to sports where we compete as individual nations then that is largely down to the fact that the early history of that sport had early internationals between the home nations. So in football and rugby, for example, the early contests were between Scotland and England so it wasn't really going to merge after that.

We're just odd
thanks for the reply. interesting to say the least

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Alklha

Karina Bryant lost in the semi-finals, but managed to win a bronze medal in the judo. Fourth medal of the day, and up to 19 total now.

Looking a bit doubtful that Murray will get to play both his matches in the tennis today, although they might move his doubles match to centre court and play it late tonight.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:38 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
England isn't really an independent country, it's no more an individual state in the United Kingdom really than Ontario is in Canada.

We're the size of a small state in the USA though, and we're third in the overall medals table, only one gold away from being third in that too! So proud of every one of them, rule Britannia!
Yes, but population-wise, you'd be the largest state by over 15,000,000

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post

We have 60 million people as a population pool and can be considered a wealthy country with good sporting infrastructure. Plus we are the host nation ; meaning much emphasis on success in Olympic disciplines for the last 8 years.

We're doing very well, but realistically, this is what we should be doing given population size/resources. Outside of China/USA and probably Russia, we should be regularly competing to top the remaining nations.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote