HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Question

Old
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Dineen Youngblood

vCash: 500
Stick Question

Besides length, what is the difference between the senior and intermediate sticks? I know the int's have more flex and what not. I was at a buddy of mines house and grabbed one of his sticks. It felt like the shaft might have been smaller than the stick I use. Couldn't really tell with the blade. But I felt like I had so much grip around it. More control than what I get with my stick. He said it was an intermediate. I cut my sticks down anyways, and I'm thinking of buying an int stick to see how I like it. But are the int's just smaller all around?

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
An intermediate stick will often (but not always) have a smaller shaft in width/depth/whatever you want to call it in addition to length, is the main difference. Some might have slightly smaller blades, but not many.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Thanks! I think I'm gonna pick one up. Give it a shot.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood View Post
Thanks! I think I'm gonna pick one up. Give it a shot.
If you a re a smaller guy they are great. I am 5' 8'' 145ish and I use them. I don't really have to cut them down and I can really use the flex. If I cut down a senior 75 flex they jump to 80ish which is just too much (I like a whippy stick). 65 flex cut to 70 is just perfect.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes they typically have smaller shaft dimensions and are easier to flex. If you are under 5'10 you should give one a shot at some point.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Yea I'm exactly 5'10. I dunno how much the weight plays into it but Im around 175. I grew up playing with wood sticks and have only been using composites for the last couple of years. When I do get composites of course I get seniors, and while I'm not weak by any means, I think the 85 flex is a little much. I even cut a few inches off so I'm guessing that makes it stiffer as well. I think It'll be fun playing with a whippier stick.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Sticks are a whole lot of personal preference. The general rule for a starting point is half your weight but if you're shorter/taller that value can be skewed. Your weight says you should try a 85 flex but you might not have the leverage or strength get the most out of it.

Intermediates, as everyone has said, will be a thinner shaft and lower flex. I'd suggest getting a cheapo intermediate in a 65 or 70 flex just to see if you like the whip. You might also look at a 75 flex senior stick. I use Reebok 8K sticks in a 75 flex cut down to about 80 flex and love it. I'm 5'10" and 155lbs and I can get some strong flex out of it.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You could be fine with a 75 flex, but you might prefer a 70-ish flex. Depends on how long you cut them down. I would go to a store and look at the intermediates and see how they feel. There shouldn't be a quality difference, just a flex difference.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Dineen Youngblood

I usually cut 'em down to about 58".....If the int's are coming in 57" I think I can manage...might even like it better. But there's no difference in the blades right?

Old
08-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Blades should be the same. Shafts are a little slimmer and whippier, which MIGHT make them a little more blade heavy, but the shorter length tends to even that out.

You just have to watch out for notoriously whippy sticks like the newer Bauer Nexus.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Dineen Youngblood

I think I'm gonna go with a Warrior. It's what I've been using. It's also what kind of stick my buddy has....I dunno what line but I don't really think that matters. But if I'm not down with the int maybe I'll try the Nexus next in a senior if they're whippier. And thanks, btw.

Old
08-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good call. A lot of Warriors are on clearance now. Check out the Dynasty, Diablos, and Widow lines. You might be able to find one for close to $200.