HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So still no new CBA?

Old
08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Count Von Grabo*

vCash: 500
So still no new CBA?

How worried are you guys?

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
dubey
~manlets~

oh no

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
BlueBaron

Not at all.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Count Von Grabo*

If Bettman wasn't the commish I'd feel okay.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

All out panic!!!!!!11!!!!

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
How worried are you guys?
Having yet to submit a counteroffer and with less than six weeks before the NHL's collective bargaining agreement expires, NHL Players' Association executive director Don Fehr says that's still sufficient time to get a deal done. For that to happen, both parties need to stay committed to negotiations and should not resort to "short-circuiting the process," Fehr said, when asked about the potential of a lockout. Full Story.

08-06-2012, 05:43 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
If Bettman wasn't the commish I'd feel okay.
Why, Bettman's has done a great job?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
They would both be idiots if they let it come to a work stoppage, but I thought that last time too.
To me the biggest hurdle last time was actually bringing in a cap system where none existed before. At least there is a foundation to work from now. Fehr will probably want to show some muscle, this being his first negotiation in the NHL, but he won't make rookie mistakes as he has been through this in other sports. Saying the players will play without a contract won't fly with the owners as it could leave them vulnerable at playoff time for a walkout.

I think Fehr will take it to the full term deadline to squeeze as much as he can out of the owners. Maybe miss some training camp and some preseason games but will start the season on time.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Why, Bettman's has done a great job?
Yea, would be great job if there will be 2 lockouts in under 10 years under his watch.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:05 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Every media personality i hear seems to think a work stoppage is going to happen. Im pretty pissed

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:29 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yea, would be great job if there will be 2 lockouts in under 10 years under his watch.
If it were not for the last CBA at least 10 NHL teams would have eventually folded, including Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa. The LA Kings even said they would have packed it in unless they got cost certaintity. It was not a pleasant time for anyone but it was a positive step for a better and stronger NHL.
It had to be done.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
neoen

As someone who is in tune with negotiating, people should be more upset with the NHLPA right now. The NHL has presented their initial offer (and yes they lowballed for a reason), yet we havent heard a sniff from the NHLPA about anything they don't like. (or a better yet a counter offer!)

The NHL needs to lowball the initial offer, or they would be completely screwed for the new CBA, and we would see a guaranteed lockout. GUARANTEED.

neoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoen View Post
As someone who is in tune with negotiating, people should be more upset with the NHLPA right now. The NHL has presented their initial offer (and yes they lowballed for a reason), yet we havent heard a sniff from the NHLPA about anything they don't like. (or a better yet a counter offer!)

The NHL needs to lowball the initial offer, or they would be completely screwed for the new CBA, and we would see a guaranteed lockout. GUARANTEED.
Why should we have had a sniff of anything out of the PA? As far as I'm concerned, this is a process that should be handled behind closed doors, and stay there. Leaking anything to the public doesn't accomplish anything so long as the players and owners know what's going on.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:08 AM
htpwn

I'm not worried yet. As with most negotiations, expect it to come down right to the deadline. Players can legally go on strike starting on September 15th.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:14 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Which actually already happened.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Rinzler

The stalling by the NHLPA can backfire big time and I believe it to be a terrible strategy.

Forcing the owners to lockout never works in favour of the players in terms of outside perception.

The NHLPA should be as proactive as possible and show everyone their willingness to get a deal done quickly. If and when a lockout happens all everyone will remember is that the PA refused to begin negotiations early in the year and sat on the initial proposal for over a month without any counter going the other way.

If there is a lockout the NHLPA loses, in my honest opinion. Stalling is not how you endear your fans.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

You'd think jobs would be on the line over this. Winter would be awfully boring without hockey.

08-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Leafs12232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
The stalling by the NHLPA can backfire big time and I believe it to be a terrible strategy.

If there is a lockout the NHLPA loses, in my honest opinion. Stalling is not how you endear your fans.

It doesn't matter, how many fans are educated on the process? The ones you see here, which represent less than 0.05% of "hockey fans".

Last time, most people referred to it as a "strike" and thought the players were greedy and "striking".

this will happen again, and it's why players can't win any non-playing situation with the general pop. fans will never be endeared with either side during a stoppage, with most of the hate being heaped on the players for "striking"

Leafs12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs12232 View Post
It doesn't matter, how many fans are educated on the process? The ones you see here, which represent less than 0.05% of "hockey fans".

Last time, most people referred to it as a "strike" and thought the players were greedy and "striking".

this will happen again, and it's why players can't win any non-playing situation with the general pop. fans will never be endeared with either side during a stoppage, with most of the hate being heaped on the players for "striking"
I'm really speaking about relative perception. People perceived it as a strike because that's basically what it was from a laymen's perspective. The owners wanted to introduce a cap and cost certainty and the players refused.

If you didn't know squat about business, it looks very much like a strike.

The point is, if you want to alter the general perception of an organization, you have to demonstrate your intentions through action, not inaction. The NHLPA can say all that they want about the owners but at the end of the day, their lack of urgency will be their undoing.

I do situation management for my job, believe me, perception is everything.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Leafs12232

It would definitely be better if they appeared to be more proactive - but perhaps they are being so.

Last time, all the negotiations and responses seemed to be done publicly.. I don't think that's the right way, and obviously Fehr has put the kabosh on that for now.

They could be "being the good guy" right now, and we don't know it.

Either way, even if they appeared to be the active party, the minute the puck doesn't drop, it will be all the players fault for striking.

Leafs12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Rinzler

Just want to add that if the NHLPA entered negotiations right away and participated in direct negotiations in good faith and spent as much effort as possible showing a high degree of urgency in getting a deal done well in advance of the end of the season, the Fans would perceive them very differently.

Fans do not want to hear that there's plenty of time to get a deal done and that the counter proposal will happen when they are ready..

Right now it just looks like only the NHL is coming to the table and that is not a good sign for the players. Fans will be very upset and they won't be upset at the owners.

The details of the deal are largely irrelevant to the general public. They just want to know that the fans are the primary concern, not the $$$.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs12232 View Post
It would definitely be better if they appeared to be more proactive - but perhaps they are being so.

Last time, all the negotiations and responses seemed to be done publicly.. I don't think that's the right way, and obviously Fehr has put the kabosh on that for now.

They could be "being the good guy" right now, and we don't know it.

Either way, even if they appeared to be the active party, the minute the puck doesn't drop, it will be all the players fault for striking.
You don't necessarily have to have a public forum to demonstrate a willingness to get the job done. The media will fill in the blanks.

You are right, they might be the good guys, but until they come to the table with their demands and show a willingness to work with the owners in good faith, they will not be viewed that way.

If they come back with a 53% share, I will be confident we're moving in the right direction.