HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Stats say Sabres are a playoff team today

Old
08-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Stats say Sabres are a playoff team today

Quote:
While it's possible there could be a move in the works, it appears the current Buffalo Sabres roster is likely the one we'll see on opening night of the regular season. Most expected more from this off-season than Derek Roy for Steve Ott. But with Zach Parise and Ryan Suter both in Minnesota, Rick Nash in New York, Bobby Ryan headed nowhere and Shane Doan – well, Doan won't even visit Buffalo, much less sign – it looks like this is it. That may be a concern to some, if not all, fans. Yet, a statistical examination of the Sabres' roster suggests the as-is roster is good enough to be a playoff club – maybe even a Stanley Cup contender.

Here's why
Quote:
Balance
Quote:
Defensive depth/health
Quote:
Luck
Quote:
Goaltending
Quote:
Trade deadline
Quote:
Bottom line

The Sabres missed the playoffs by three points last season. If in 2012-13 they are a more balanced team, have scorers return to their career shooting percentages, are more healthy and deep on defense, get the same or better goaltending and make a move at the trade deadline, there's no reason they can't make up those three points and much more and be a playoff team.

That being said. Darcy Regier should put down the phone. Shane Doan could help the Sabres in 2012-13, but his leadership qualities are not worth a $7.5 million cap hit that has been Doan's reported price. If Regier is patient, the Sabres can find a better deal for a younger difference maker....if they even need one.
http://wgr550.com/No-Doan--No-Proble...layof/13876364

Lots of "ifs" to be so bold as to say Regier doesn't need to make any more changes....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:26 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Lots of "ifs" to be so bold as to say Regier doesn't need to make any more changes....
agreed, doan at 5 mill or less, otherwise lets roll into this season. We can sign an Arnott or Moore, no complaints from me but otherwise this is our team and we know it....lets go buffalo!

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:29 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

I'm shocked too...but then again, flashback to last year. If the sabres don't blow 3 or 4 games that they ended up losing in OT, they're in the playoffs. That both makes me feel ok about their chances this year, and frustrates the heck out of me.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:48 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I'm shocked too...but then again, flashback to last year. If the sabres don't blow 3 or 4 games that they ended up losing in OT, they're in the playoffs. That both makes me feel ok about their chances this year, and frustrates the heck out of me.
On the bright side those few lost points landed us Grigorenko. We should be in without having to play meaniful games at game 80 this year

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Most of our players underachieved for most of the year except Pominville. As long as they play a little better, and don't suck it up for the the first half of the year, I think we can make it as at least the 8th seed. I'm a little concerned about our centers but it's a work in progress.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:51 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I'm not satisfied with being "just good enough" to make the playoffs. I want to be damned sure we get in and have a good shot at the Cup. Playoffs are just a minor goal on the way to THE goal.

/blah blah cant win a Cup without playoffs...

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Girgenburger

We're gonna go deep into the playoffs this year.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:03 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I'm not satisfied with being "just good enough" to make the playoffs. I want to be damned sure we get in and have a good shot at the Cup. Playoffs are just a minor goal on the way to THE goal.

/blah blah cant win a Cup without playoffs...
That's not really a thing that can happen because even well-built teams hit injuries, or a bunch guys have career worst or best years and the team surprises one way or the other, etc.

In any case, I think we'll be a playoff team this year.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Better Call Saul

The Sabres aren't a good team, IMO. They lack scoring, proven centers and, with a few exceptions, capable defensive forwards. That doesn't even take into account my negative feelings regarding Ruff.

Better Call Saul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:14 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
We're gonna go deep into the playoffs this year.
I agree, we need a move, maybe at the deadline. But I do agree

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:02 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
The Sabres aren't a good team, IMO. They lack scoring, proven centers and, with a few exceptions, capable defensive forwards. That doesn't even take into account my negative feelings regarding Ruff.
Honestly, while I agree that the sabres are a playoff team this year, that article was terrible. I thought it came off of bleacher report until I saw the URL.....

Last edited by Chainshot: 08-02-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Cut it out
HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I could see them finishing anywhere between 6th and 12th. In the end, I think we'll once again be scratching and clawing for an 8-seed down the stretch.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I expect them to finish 10-11th in the Conference.

However, it won't be a disappointment at all, as long as the development of Armia, Grigs and Girgs is done properly, and together with Myers, McNabb, Ennis, Sekera, etc. they're here to make this team a proper contender in 2 or 3 years.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
"Healthy changes everything" is probably more than just the Sabres main advertisers slogan, it's a chant around the hockey department offices.

Somewhere in the 5-11 range, depending on injury (both theirs and if another team or teams in the East hits the skids).

08-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Dr. Zoidberg

I am excited about this upcoming season, but not because I think we have a playoff bound team. I think the team will scratch and claw to get into 7th or 8th. They are not a lock by any means.

I do believe, however, that the team will be more entertaining and likable that the past couple years. There is quite a bit of promise in the youth, and I love watching kids develop their games. We might get lucky and see success (assuming Miller is healthy, Myers, Ennis, Hodgson, McNabb et al all continue developing). I do hope for a second round appearance, which would lead to:

A perfect storm next year - lots of players on expiring contracts, a more mature team being bolstered by the cheap contracts of Grigorenko, Girgensons, Pysyk, Armia.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

If the Sabres can stay healthy on defense. Bring in a guy like Arnott. I can see 6th through 8th seed. Most likely I see us battling it out with Washington again for the 8th. Also Carolina will be up there. Ottawa most likely will be in the race also. Anyone know why they are not trying for Arnott? Or is that still a possible approach to center so the young guys can develop and don't need to be rushed?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:25 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
I'm sorry. How exactly does YOUR personal opinions about the coach translate to actual wins and losses?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

maybe this franchise will be a contender when everyone around it stops making excuses

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:39 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
There is virtually no difference between the top teams and the middle teams. The very bad teams are very bad, but there are only a few of them. This team will be in the mix just as everyone else is. I could easily see us winning our division, especially with Thomas being out.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
littletonhockeycoach

[B]/Bobby Ryan headed nowhere[B]? I guess I missed that scoop somewhere along the line..?

I gave up on Doan a while ago. Buffalo's obviously not on his radar.

But the lack of experience at C is a concern. We have some talent there and I really like what's waiting in the wings. But we aren't anywhere near to matching up with a Crosby/Malkin, Sedin/Kesler, Brown/Kopitar 1 -2 punch

We will be a different team this year...... more physical, irritating and tougher to play against. That will translate into a few more wins and get us into the playoffs.

But true success is either a Ryan or Girgs/Grigs/Armia/Psysk combo away.

I will be patient.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
There is virtually no difference between the top teams and the middle teams. The very bad teams are very bad, but there are only a few of them. This team will be in the mix just as everyone else is. I could easily see us winning our division, especially with Thomas being out.

So when the Sabres won the presidents trophy in 07, there was virtually no difference between them, and the 8th seeded Islanders?

Was there any difference between the Red Wings and the Wild that year?

Old
08-02-2012, 09:04 AM
DixonWard15

"That's why they play the game."

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

So when the Sabres won the presidents trophy in 07, there was virtually no difference between them, and the 8th seeded Islanders?

Was there any difference between the Red Wings and the Wild that year?

5 years ago. What were the seeds of the finalists this year? What was our record with our top 2 defensemen in the line-up? Out of the line-up? Half of the main forum thought the Rangers were going to miss the playoffs going into the season, how'd that work out? This sport has become impossie to predict. Depth and health seem to be the two most important factors to having a good team in today's NHL.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
5 years ago. What were the seeds of the finalists this year?
What was LAs record after the coaching change, and then adding more talent?

Are you saying that this past season (the first time a seed lower then 4 has won a cup) is now the standard?

Quote:
What was our record with our top 2 defensemen in the line-up? Out of the line-up? Half of the main forum thought the Rangers were going to miss the playoffs going into the season, how'd that work out? This sport has become impossie to predict. Depth and health seem to be the two most important factors to having a good team in today's NHL.
Yea, talent and coaching are totally secondary

St Louis had more man games lost to injury then Buffalo
So did Florida, Philly, Pittsburgh... and they made the playoffs... why? because they are more talented at the top and have better coaching

Injuries is only an excuse for not making the playoffs if you are a bad team

Old
08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Der Jaeger

I agree that the Sabres could stand pat and be fine, but I don't agree with the argument that they could be Cup contenders.

If the plan is to stand pat, let the youth develop, and work towards 2013, good. If they try to get into the playoffs in an effort to get more experience for said youth, fine. I'm all aboard that plan as well.

But to think that this team is a Cup contender? Virtually all of the youth would need to develop into the best versions of themselves, now. Ennis would need to be Briere, Hodgson would need to be Drury, Foligno would need to be Neal, Myers would need to be Pronger, etc. Then, I buy that.

But all of that's not happening in 2012-2013. I think 6th place is the absolute high end of expectations, and 11th is the low end (I think Buffalo will be better than Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay, and the Islanders). I don't see Buffalo outplacing Boston, the Rangers, Philadelphia, or the Devils... and some team is going to win the Southeast.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote