HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Eberle for Seguin

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
BamBamCam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think Edmonton's future centre depth is pretty much set as RNH-Hall-Gagner-Scrub.

Seguin may eventually take iver Krejci as centre, but I'm sure he'd be fine on the wing to.
Am I missing something here hasn't Hall been a LW all his career?

Old
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Why do I keep seeing Oilers fans listing Hall as a center? Am I missing something?
There's a great deal of discussion around it by the media, to the point where Hall and Kruger have been asked about it. Kruger was non-committal, and around a month ago, during an interview, Hall said that he would be OK with it, provided he's given time to adjust.

He's relatively big and strong, but in the short term, faceoffs would be a concern. Given his skating ability and vision, I wouldn't be concerned with the zone coverage. I could see them playing him with Gagner and Hemsky, and him taking the offensive zone faceoffs and Gagner the defensive, for a period of time.

I would say that there is a better than 50% chance they move him to centre.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
Yes that's what he was saying .. your makes me laugh though . So Eberle not making a brutal Oilers team 3 years ago means nothing ? I see that different .. maybe NOT a HUGE thing but there is a difference
So now teams aren't allowed to develope players? Okay, but you should let the 30 GMs know 1st.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Seguin is better AINEC. The reputation between Edmonton and Boston's GMs would go from neutral to poor if the Oilers offered this.
This is just an ignorant post. Eberle is currently, clearly the better player. Seguin certainly has the higher ceiling and I expect him to end up the better player. In terms of value it's close to, if not even. Neither team accepts though.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Let's see...

The year after being drafted:
Seguin: 22 pts
Eberle: Wasn't in the NHL

Two years after being drafted:
Seguin: 67 pts in 81 games
Eberle: Wasn't in the NHL

Three years after being drafted:
Seguin: ???
Eberle: 43 pts in 67 games

People need to stop ignoring the fact that Eberle is TWO years older. You want to compare Eberle's 4 season after being drafted to Seguin's second? Doesn't seem very fair. When you compare their second seasons, Seguin comes out on top by far, when you compare Seguins 2nd season to Eberle's 3rd season after being drafted (his rookie season), Seguin still looks better.

Yea, Eberle had 76 points this year. What do you think Seguin is going to have in two years? Because that's when he's going to be the age that Eberle was this season. Plus Seguin is a centre and Eberle is a winger, and centres are more important than wingers.
Very good points. But Seguin is a physical specimen and was more NHL ready at a younger age. You see how development varies. You have players like the sedins who take a long time to develope into superstars then you have players like Ovechkin who come in and instantly become the best player in the league at 20-21, now he's barely if at all considered a top 10 player. Don't get me wrong, Seguin could end up being the far and away better player but the breakdowns you presented really don't mean much.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan12 View Post
Boston says no. Jesus, Eberle is overrated.. The guy is good but damn....
34 goals and 70+ points on the worst team in the league is over rated? If anything the guy is under-rated by showing how much he can do on his own.

I like Seguin, but Eberle>Seguin as of right now by a fair margin. I think Eberle will be a consistent 35-40 goal and 80-85 point guy.

However lets be clear, its not as if Seguin doesn't have the potential to meet/exceed those numbers.

08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
34 goals and 70+ points on the worst team in the league is over rated? If anything the guy is under-rated by showing how much he can do on his own.

I like Seguin, but Eberle>Seguin as of right now by a fair margin. I think Eberle will be a consistent 35-40 goal and 80-85 point guy.

However lets be clear, its not as if Seguin doesn't have the potential to meet/exceed those numbers.
If "fair margin" is 9 less points and two years younger, then I guess you're right.

Didn't Eberle also play with two of the kids? Meaning consistent 1st unit PP time? Seguin wasnt so lucky.

Like I said above, anything with AINEC or "fair margin" is ridiculous, theyre way too close.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Seguin pretty clearly has better physical tools and probably has a higher ceiling but there is something magical about Eberle, he just has the "it" factor that i personally don't see in Seguin so it would be a no from an Oiler POV and i'm pretty sure that it would be a no from the Bruins as well. Somebody mentioned it earlier in this thread that these teams don't make good trade partners and i agree wholeheartedly.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeLemay View Post
Am I missing something here hasn't Hall been a LW all his career?
Nope, played C in junior until the Spits got loaded with centers. He was moved to the wing as he was the best fit for it. He's played ~10 games as C for the Oilers over his first 2 years, and iirc was PPG this past year at the position.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:10 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post

While I think Eberle is a great player, this actually means nothing. Being a bad team and offensive production aren't directly linked, in fact many players benefit from having playing on poor teams where they get the best linemates, PP time, zone starts, etc. You certainly can't say Eberle played with scrubs this year (except when RNH and Hall were injured) and I'm sure many nights was counted on to be their go-to guy (and to his credit, he produced). Seguin on the other hand wasn't the go-to guy, didn't get all the PP time he could handle, and honestly doesn't play with guys of the offensive caliber of RNH and Hall. The fact that he led a veteran, upper-tier team in scoring as a 19 y/o is actually more impressive than Eberle leading a young, bottom-tier team in scoring as a 22 y/o.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
While I think Eberle is a great player, this actually means nothing. Being a bad team and offensive production aren't directly linked, in fact many players benefit from having playing on poor teams where they get the best linemates, PP time, zone starts, etc. You certainly can't say Eberle played with scrubs this year (except when RNH and Hall were injured) and I'm sure many nights was counted on to be their go-to guy (and to his credit, he produced). Seguin on the other hand wasn't the go-to guy, didn't get all the PP time he could handle, and honestly doesn't play with guys of the offensive caliber of RNH and Hall. The fact that he led a veteran, upper-tier team in scoring as a 19 y/o is actually more impressive than Eberle leading a young, bottom-tier team in scoring as a 22 y/o.
This has been debunked many times. They played pretty close to identical minutes

Old
08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This has been debunked many times. They played pretty close to identical minutes

Close to identical isn't identical. Actually a pretty in-depth break down of each player here http://goo.gl/iXmQz shows that favorable factors like TOI, PP minutes, zone starts, and line-mates all benefited Eberle over Seguin last season. Not the be-all, end-all but it is probably enough to get Eberle the extra 9 points that he scored over Seguin. At the very least is indicates that the Oilers simply being a "bad team" and Bruins being a "good team" isn't a legitimate reason to inflate the value of Eberle and deflate the value of Seguin, as suggested by the poster I was responding to.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRash61 View Post
Is the value not there though? I understand the hesitation due to potential in each of these players, but I feel its a good fit for each team.

I feel its a trade which improves both teams
It's a lateral trade at best.

Neither team does it. Both teams have invested in developing their player and neither team is going trade for the sake of trading.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
It's a lateral trade at best.

Neither team does it. Both teams have invested in developing their player and neither team is going trade for the sake of trading.
Well.. For EDM it would not be a lateral move. RNH\Seguin down the middle will set us up for quite some time. We just drafted Yakupov who would fill the void left by Ebs on RW.
EDM also has a lot more wingers coming up the system (Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Pitlick, Reider, Hamilton etc).
Our best C coming down the pipe is Lander and I dont expect him to be a top 6 player in NHL.

I am sure EDM would prefer to part with Hemsky and Yakupov well before Eberle but then they would not be getting someone like Seguin in return.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
OneSharpMarble

Eberle has the more valuable skillset. I said I wouldn't trade Eberle for Seguin 1 for 1 when Seguin was drafted and I still say that.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Eberle has the more valuable skillset. I said I wouldn't trade Eberle for Seguin 1 for 1 when Seguin was drafted and I still say that.
More valuable skillset? What does Eberle have that Seguin doesn't?

Old
08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
McTank

Interesting. Value is extremely similar. To close to call

Old
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Pucklington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Link?

Pretty sure the rumor was Edmonton trying to get the #2 overall where they offered Hemsky and Eberle for #2 (Seguin) and Boston declined.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1617976/
From what I remember, Boston asked them to include Eberle and that killed any potential trade.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
PAZ

I'd take Seguin 10/10 times. Eberle is better by the slightest margin right now, but as said he's 2 years old.

Seguin is going to be something special.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Pucklington

Fair deal when both side says no without it resorting to petty bickering.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
Fair deal when both side says no without it resorting to petty bickering.
Also, hasnt Seguin been playin RW this whole time in the NHL? That kind of makes this even sillier trading equal potential players that both play the same position. Like Seguin, Eberle played centre before making the jump to the NHL, but i am pretty sure both play RW right now.

Old
08-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I don't care if 1/3 of the tards from TSN would say that this is a good hockey trade. This is horrible for Edmonton.

This is like taking Captain America or the Hulk way from the Avengers.
And replacing either with Superman. I love Jordan Eberle but I don't think he alone could fetch Tyler Seguin.

Old
08-02-2012, 04:56 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
More valuable skillset? What does Eberle have that Seguin doesn't?
Hands and agility... Eberle is easily top 5 in the league as far as puck handling(and I don't mean like Schremp's useless highlight reels). Eberle and Seguin bring very different skillsets. Put them in close and I'll take Eberle every time. It's something him and Nuge excel at

Old
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
canucksPK

Trade makes sense for both teams imo. Teams don't usually trade their young stars though so its unlikely.

Old
08-02-2012, 05:05 PM
dan1el

Eberle is much better then Seguin IMO.

Closed Thread