HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #11

View Poll Results: Who is our #11 prospect?
RW Shane McColgan 8 10.67%
D Calle Andersson 2 2.67%
C Steven Fogarty 33 44.00%
D Sam Noreau 1 1.33%
C Boo Nieves 24 32.00%
LW Marek Hrivik 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #11

Oscar Lindberg won round 10 and Calle Andersson is added to the poll.

The prospects will be separated into 3 categories: the top-5 are the top prospects, the next 10 are the second-tier and the final-5 are the Projects & Suspects.

Don't forget to write who should be added to the poll.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. LW Carl Hagelin
3. C J.T. Miller
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Christian Thomas

SECOND TIER

6. RW Jesper Fast
7. D Brady Skjei
8. C Michael St. Croix
9. C Andrew Yogan
10. C Oscar Lindberg

Oscar Lindberg
Center
Born Oct 29 1991
Height 6.00 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L

2011-12 Skelleftea HC SEL 46 5 5 10 18

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Went with Boo, hoping he'll be a bigger version of Hagelin.

Add Thomas Spelling, who might be a slipper pick. Looks like he's penciled in to be in the SEL this year at the age of 18, which would be unbelievable, especially for a guy who's not a grinder.

Last edited by Beacon: 08-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
UlfNilsson

Boo. Add Roman Ndur.

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Fogarty. Like I said in the last poll, he's a very intriguing prospect. Made huge improvements in his play away from the puck and turned himself into a 200ft player with Penticon this year, without sacrificing from his offense. If he can put everything together, we're looking at a comparable to David Backes. Perhaps not as adept in every area, but just a notch below with a similar style of play.

I like Nieves' tools, but his hockey IQ is a major concern, IMO.

I hate to give little Bourque the cold shoulder, but add Spelling.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:42 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Went with Fogarty. He's a year older than Boo and after an average BCHL season is going to college. His big frame is intriguing.

Basically, the reason he's higher than Boo is because he has had the extra year of development. They both have size and are more playmakers than scorers. They have the same kind of potential. I think both have a good shot at making the NHL, if not in a scoring role, but as a bottom 6 player using their size and skating to their advantage.

Time to add one of the goalies: I'm big on Stajcer. I think he could become a starter in the NHL, but will at least become Hank's back up in a couple years.

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 08-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.
mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Fogarty. Add Ceresnak.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:56 AM
eco's bones

Sticking with Nieves. Adding Stajcer.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Boo, add Bourque

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:02 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Went with Fogarty. He's a year older than Boo and after an average BCHL season is going to college. His big frame is intriguing.

Basically, the reason he's higher than Boo is because he has had the extra year of development. They both have size and are more playmakers than scorers. They have the same kind of potential. I think both have a good shot at making the NHL, if not in a scoring role, but as a bottom 6 player using their size and skating to their advantage.
Not sure 81 points from the teams third line equates to an average season. Granted that team was as stacked as they come, but even the points leader wasn't very far ahead of Fogarty.

I put him higher than Boo right now due to his size and overall ability. May be a notch below Boo offensively, but that is debatable and remains to be seen, however I think his defensive game has taken great strides and will be playing in a decent (not great) but decent ND program this fall. Then with a year under his belt will play against some very tough competition when ND moves to Hockey East for the 2013-14 season.

I want Boo to do well. Being a fellow NY'er I have high hopes for him and his development. I just think Fogarty is the better prospect today and will be down the line.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Add Ceresnak.

Besides size, I don't see what else Ceresnak has. His skating is bad even compared to Noreau, and same for positioning and hockey sense. He doesn't hit as well as Noreau, nor can he fight. He brings absolutely no offense to the table, again being behind Noreau.

And let's keep in mind that Noreau is a very, very marginal prospect. Though anything can happen, right now nobody projects him as more than a third-pair NHLer and we all recognize that he'll probably be a minor leaguer. And yet, he's a significantly better prospect than Ceresnak.

Short of a massive improvement in the coming season, Ceresnak will not get a contract next year and will go back to Slovakia where he will be only average in that mid-range league.

I think that Ryan Bourque is already better than what Ceresnak will ever be. That said, I like Thomas Spelling who slipped only because he's playing in a weak league.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:09 PM
NYR Viper

I went McColgan, add Ceresnak

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Fogarty, add Spelling.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Fogarty.

Add Bourque.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Edge

Went with Fogarty, who is a bit of a sleeper. But the offensive potential is there.

Boo is flashier, but I don't think he's quite as offensively talented as Fogarty.

Both guys could climbers or afterthoughts this time next year.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Besides size, I don't see what else Ceresnak has. His skating is bad even compared to Noreau, and same for positioning and hockey sense. He doesn't hit as well as Noreau, nor can he fight. He brings absolutely no offense to the table, again being behind Noreau.

And let's keep in mind that Noreau is a very, very marginal prospect. Though anything can happen, right now nobody projects him as more than a third-pair NHLer and we all recognize that he'll probably be a minor leaguer. And yet, he's a significantly better prospect than Ceresnak.

Short of a massive improvement in the coming season, Ceresnak will not get a contract next year and will go back to Slovakia where he will be only average in that mid-range league.

I think that Ryan Bourque is already better than what Ceresnak will ever be. That said, I like Thomas Spelling who slipped only because he's playing in a weak league.
His skating isn't that bad at all. He got quite a bit better over the year in juniors. He's probably up there with Noreau as "most improved" out of the guys from last year to this year.

Noreau is no longer a "very, very marginal prospect" at all. He was when we drafted him, but his improvement makes him look like a much more intriguing prospect who can potentially be a bottom pairing guy.

Borque is older than both, more injury prone than both, and much weaker than both. The only thing he does better is skate. I fail to see how he's a better prospect at all if he can't even handle the rigors of the AHL.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Sticking with Nieves. Adding Stajcer.
Was between Stajcer and Ceresnak for me.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Went with McColgan.. add Kyle Jean..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Joey Bones

Hrivik add Bourque.

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
McColgan. Add Stajcer.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:22 PM
dumpin

Hrivik,,, add Jean

dumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Was between Stajcer and Ceresnak for me.
Not sure if Stajcer is really a better prospect than Talbot to be honest. I went' with him mainly because he's younger. Ceiling for either is a backup NHL goalie--and I'm not sure either will be up to it. I think we've gotten to the point in this where the additions are kind of suspect as far as being very serious prospects.

Not very exciting what's left--Parlett had hopes for but last year's late season demotion to the ECHL makes me wonder seriously about him. Spelling could be a player and he's playing in the SEL next year which is a nice step. Bourque--lack of size, the concussion problem--most of them in the QMJHL--now he's up against bigger, rougher players and he had a crap season last year. Jean--development camp is one thing--AHL is another. Wait and see. Ceresnak--so-so year in Peterborough. This year he earns a contract or doesn't. Wilson--spent all of his first pro season in the ECHL--numbers weren't great. Missiaen--big goalie--so far another ECHL player. Niemi--just doesn't seem to have it. Delisle-ditto.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not sure if Stajcer is really a better prospect than Talbot to be honest. I went' with him mainly because he's younger. Ceiling for either is a backup NHL goalie--and I'm not sure either will be up to it. I think we've gotten to the point in this where the additions are kind of suspect as far as being very serious prospects.

Not very exciting what's left--Parlett had hopes for but last year's late season demotion to the ECHL makes me wonder seriously about him. Spelling could be a player and he's playing in the SEL next year which is a nice step. Bourque--lack of size, the concussion problem--most of them in the QMJHL--now he's up against bigger, rougher players and he had a crap season last year. Jean--development camp is one thing--AHL is another. Wait and see. Ceresnak--so-so year in Peterborough. This year he earns a contract or doesn't. Wilson--spent all of his first pro season in the ECHL--numbers weren't great. Missiaen--big goalie--so far another ECHL player. Niemi--just doesn't seem to have it. Delisle-ditto.
Yep, the rest of the pool is REAL shallow. Not a big fan of anyone not yet on the poll. It's picking the best out of a crap batch.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
His skating isn't that bad at all. He got quite a bit better over the year in juniors. He's probably up there with Noreau as "most improved" out of the guys from last year to this year.

Noreau is no longer a "very, very marginal prospect" at all. He was when we drafted him, but his improvement makes him look like a much more intriguing prospect who can potentially be a bottom pairing guy.

Borque is older than both, more injury prone than both, and much weaker than both. The only thing he does better is skate. I fail to see how he's a better prospect at all if he can't even handle the rigors of the AHL.

I would agree with Noreau being very improved and a solid prospect. It was a poor choice of words on my part to use the words "marginal prospect", he's solid, though the odds are still against him making the NHL at this point. I hope he can keep improving because it would be nice to add a big, tough defenseman to our blue line.

I am not yet very hopeful about Ceresnak. Let's see what he does next year.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:02 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Fogarty. Add Spelling.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I would agree with Noreau being very improved and a solid prospect. It was a poor choice of words on my part to use the words "marginal prospect", he's solid, though the odds are still against him making the NHL at this point. I hope he can keep improving because it would be nice to add a big, tough defenseman to our blue line.

I am not yet very hopeful about Ceresnak. Let's see what he does next year.
I think at this point once the guys currently on the poll go, the prospect pool is barren. I really only consider Ceresnak the best of the "rest", I guess. Really not saying much, hah.

I think we have 12 really solid prospects (with Fogarty and Nieves rounding out that top 12) and then a bunch of question marks.