HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who do you think is the most improved team as of Aug 2, 2012

Old
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Carolina, easily. Minnesota added some key pieces but their success will be contingent on how said pieces mesh with the core and the developing prospects moving forward.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:10 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

1. Minnesota Wild
2. Carolina Hurricanes
3. New York Rangers

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:15 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Explain how Dallas has improved? They lost Ott and Riberio who are two pretty big loses and replaced them with two 40 year olds and a struggling centerman. I don't think they have improved at all.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:23 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Explain how Dallas has improved? They lost Ott and Riberio who are two pretty big loses and replaced them with two 40 year olds and a struggling centerman. I don't think they have improved at all.
Skill-wise, I don't think there's any question Dallas improved.

Loui Eriksson|Jamie Benn|Jaromir Jagr
Ray Whitney|Derek Roy|Michael Ryder/Brenden Morrow

is a much stronger offensive Top 6 than

Loui Eriksson|Jamie Benn|Brenden Morrow
Steve Ott|Mike Ribeiro|Michael Ryder

but I also don't think there's a team in the NHL that got softer than Dallas either. Jaromir Jagr stays away from the physical play at his age, as does Ray Whitney. Derek Roy is about as equally soft as the outgoing Mike Ribeiro. But subtracting Sheldon Souray, Steve Ott, Adam Pardy from their lineup is a whole lot of grit going out the door, with only Aaron Rome coming in with any grit to his game.

Also, is the plan right now for one of Mark Fistric, Philip Larsen or Aaron Rome to play Top 4 minutes? Because that could be a nightmare.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
While I agree it make take time for them to figure out lines, it really is not much turn-over. Basically it's a change of 2 players. Jordan Staal for Brandon Sutter and the addition of Alex Semin. Granted, they are key pieces, but pretty much the other 18 guys are the same as last year. (ok, Corvo isn't but he's not new to Carolina). With the addition of Nash and the loss of Dubinsky and Anisimov and Prust, the Rangers actually have more turn-over than Carolina does.
I agree with BBA. Minny takes the cake here. This isn't even poll worthy.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Habsrback

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well they won't have a Weber or a Kovalchuk beside them. I'm worried about Parise and his lackluster playoff performance as a captain and Suter as being propped up by Weber. Not sure how it's a "stupid argument" just because you're offended by it.
I remember the Komisarek signing by the Leafs touted as being a path-changing deal for the Leafs. They have not made the playoffs since. People today now understand that Markov, who was yet uninjured in his career and playing at his peak, was making Komisarek look much better.

I don't think that this will repeat itself in Suter's case but I agree that the comment is not stupid and is a realistic concern. Parise will be back home, with all the distractions that come with this...and yes, he will now have to be THE man. Again here, I think he will do fine, but there still is a reasonable concern.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Habsrback

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Skill-wise, I don't think there's any question Dallas improved.

Loui Eriksson|Jamie Benn|Jaromir Jagr
Ray Whitney|Derek Roy|Michael Ryder/Brenden Morrow

is a much stronger offensive Top 6 than

Loui Eriksson|Jamie Benn|Brenden Morrow
Steve Ott|Mike Ribeiro|Michael Ryder

but I also don't think there's a team in the NHL that got softer than Dallas either. Jaromir Jagr stays away from the physical play at his age, as does Ray Whitney. Derek Roy is about as equally soft as the outgoing Mike Ribeiro. But subtracting Sheldon Souray, Steve Ott, Adam Pardy from their lineup is a whole lot of grit going out the door, with only Aaron Rome coming in with any grit to his game.

Also, is the plan right now for one of Mark Fistric, Philip Larsen or Aaron Rome to play Top 4 minutes? Because that could be a nightmare.

Agreed with your analysis. I might add that the summer moves will look good if Benn pursues his developement and becomes an NHL top 5 forward. Anything less and the Stars will regress as they will
be a very easy team to play against (physically). Being a Habs fan, I can see the Gainey signature on these moves...hope it will work out for you guys.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:05 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Being a Habs fan, I can see the Gainey signature on these moves.
Gainey isn't our GM, and the only people who ever bring up his involvement with our club are Habs fans who speculate he has more pull than he has ever been reported. Outside of him getting hired as an Advisor to the GM, there hasn't been a single piece of journalism to suggest that Gainey is involved in the decision making process of our team. If he was as big of a player in our team decisions as you guys like to believe he is, it would have been mentioned by now. So please stop.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:12 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
40 year olds that scored 77 points and 54 point last year, compared to 39 from Ott and 26 from Morrow. I'd say that's a pretty big improvement.

For all intents and purposes Riberio = Roy on our team when considering defensive play and zone time starts that Riberio's points had to sacrifice. So call that a wash for now.

Quote:
We'll definitely be softer in the top 6, but I'd take more skilled and better scoring over physicality without it any day. While Jagr/Erikson/Ryder won't hit guys like Morrow or Ott will do, they all possess extremely high levels of puck possession skills to overcome that. And Whitney and Jagr add playmaking and vision elements that we severely lacked in our top 6 last year.

Quote:
Larsen will likely play the #4 and there's nothing wrong with that, he was one of our best D-man last year as a rookie and needs the playing time to develop his game. The #5 will be filled by Dillion, and Rome and Fistric will battle for the #6/7.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Minnesota
Carolina
Dallas

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:35 AM
WarriorofTime

Minnesota. Not only the big two parise and suter but they should have some prospects ready to step in lead by Granlund. Wouldn't be shocked if they gave Van fits for the NW division.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:36 AM
chasespace

Minnesota improved the most, Carolina did the next best job. Tampa is a distant 3rd.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Hurricanes
Wild
Stars
Lightning
Sharks

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:32 AM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Minnesota.

08-03-2012, 07:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Rangers had one major hole to fill and filled it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Minnesota and/or Carolina.

Of course I'm going to favor Minn tho. Before we signed the big two, we still addressed one of our needs in gaining toughness with Torrey Mitchell and Zenon Konopka. If we stood pat with that I would've been relatively happy. Everything after that was just $200M worth of gravy.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:16 AM
jw2

While Carolina and Minn made the biggest moves, they are still competing for a playoff spot. The Rangers seem to make the most important move, after winnng the East and losing in the Conference finals, they added a top-notch goal scorer and a future star in the making in Kreider. They essentially replaced Anisimov and Dubinsky with Nash and Kreider. Then, added Pyatt, a former 40-pt guy to replace Prust. Then, Pittsburgh, Philly, NJ have failed to improve their teams. Same can be said with other teams in the East not name Carolina.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

The wild, canes and stars are not as improved as the leafs... will be in 15 years

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:28 AM
dj33habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
I am not saying that Dubnyk is a terrible goalie. But you need to find a reliable number one goalie that can steal games for you. On most teams Dubnyk would be a backup goalie rather than a number one goalie. You have Khabibulian(sp?) but he is injury prone so buy him out and invest in getting a top goalie. If you stay with Dubnyk then you have to pray that your team can score 3 or more goals a game as that what it would take to win games as Dubnyk will not steal you a lot of games like Lungo, Kipper, and Johnathon Quick can
Im a Habs fan and I have to say u know nothing about Dubnyk or hockey buddy?

dj33habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:32 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Carolina, Dallas, Minnesota, and NYR.

08-03-2012, 08:36 AM
M Ace

Västra Frölunda

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
pspot

I'm excited to see what Carolina can do they have really improved their top 6 and with Ward could do a lot of damage

I think Buffalo and Wsh had amazing drafts and maybe not most improved for next year but Buffalo now has Grigs, Hodgson, Girg down the middle for the future.

For next year Nash to the Rangers will be a huge piece for them.
Obviously Minny and if they can get some of their young pieces taking that next step Grandlund and Coyle that could be an exciting team

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:47 AM
poetryinmotion

1. Minnesota

2. Carolina
3. New York (R)

4. Dallas

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
yeah I don't see adding two 40+ year old players as a improvement.
Especially one who had 24 goals and 77 points last year.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Carolina
Minny
Dallas

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote