HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Could the players get rid of Goodenow if they wanted to?

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Could the players get rid of Goodenow if they wanted to?

If the players felt like negotiations are going nowhere and Goodenow was harming their cause by doing more bad than good, could the players actually force Goodenow out of the NHLPA and replace him with someone else? If so, how would that work, a vote between every member of the NHLPA?

Old
01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Go Flames Go*

Yes a majority vote will get him fired. I anticapte if they know what is good for them, Goodenow will be mowing my lawn soon to feed his children.

Old
01-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

A little too late to be worrying about that dont you think

Old
01-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
Yes a majority vote will get him fired. I anticapte if they know what is good for them, Goodenow will be mowing my lawn soon to feed his children.
Goodenow has already made more money than you will likely ever make in your life.

Old
01-16-2005, 02:32 AM
struckmatch

I believe that they can do that. A majority vote would definetely have him relieved of his duties. I don't think thats a path the PA would take though, because IMHO, I think the players are almost ready to give in.

Right now, its about two things for the union:

1. Testing, for the last time, the owners resolve - by posturing through the media, stating you are willing to throw the season, sending out instructions to your union members to go play in Europe. Those are all ways of testing the owners resolve, and seeing if they are serious about cancelling this season, and possibly next.

2. If the owners are in fact serious, which I think we can all agree that they are, then it becomes about saving face for Goodenow and the PA, because union leadership has them backed into a tight corner, and they are being appeased at the moment. Goodenow has left himself no viable exit strategy, which leads me to believe that if there are, or will be negotiations, that they will take place secretly, behind closed doors, to avoid the media frenzy around one side capitulating.

Goodenow's job description entails acquiring the best deal possible for his party, a deal without cost certainty isn't a possible one.

Old
01-16-2005, 03:38 AM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
That's the point - the don't know what is good for them...when you hear PA reps like Linden, Marchant, Pronger etc etc you know that Goodenow has surrounded himself with loyal followers at the executive level of the PA who have obiediendently drank his kool-aid. As long as players like this are at the head of the PA, there's little hope.

Old
01-16-2005, 03:51 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch
I believe that they can do that. A majority vote would definetely have him relieved of his duties. I don't think thats a path the PA would take though, because IMHO, I think the players are almost ready to give in.

Right now, its about two things for the union:

1. Testing, for the last time, the owners resolve - by posturing through the media, stating you are willing to throw the season, sending out instructions to your union members to go play in Europe. Those are all ways of testing the owners resolve, and seeing if they are serious about cancelling this season, and possibly next.

2. If the owners are in fact serious, which I think we can all agree that they are, then it becomes about saving face for Goodenow and the PA, because union leadership has them backed into a tight corner, and they are being appeased at the moment. Goodenow has left himself no viable exit strategy, which leads me to believe that if there are, or will be negotiations, that they will take place secretly, behind closed doors, to avoid the media frenzy around one side capitulating.

Goodenow's job description entails acquiring the best deal possible for his party, a deal without cost certainty isn't a possible one.
Agreed. It's all brinkmanship -- actions that progressively move the season to the point of cancellation -- on both sides. The League cancels the BOG meeting, the PA tells players to sign contracts in Europe, etc. It's similar in concept to the Cold War and the Arms Race, with the significant difference in that one (or even both) side(s) is possibly prepared to go through armaggedon if it means winning the battle.

The danger in reaching that point, of course, is that nobody wins. Both sides end up with less than they had and the innocents are hurt along the way -- staff, fans, European players pushed out of a job, etc.

All we're missing is Bob Goodenow or Gary Bettman standing up and banging his shoe on a podium.

IMO the players will be the side to blink first. When that happens is another question entirely.

Old
01-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Well said, Goodenow isn't considering the "possible" part.

Old
01-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
If the players felt like negotiations are going nowhere and Goodenow was harming their cause by doing more bad than good, could the players actually force Goodenow out of the NHLPA and replace him with someone else? If so, how would that work, a vote between every member of the NHLPA?
A simple majority could do it but then they would have to buy out his contract which has another 5 years to run I believe. Since he is following the instructions of the members, it would be pretty hard to argue you had fired him for cause.

It is not going to happen. The players owe him big time for helping to bring Alan Eagleson down and thus far he has won every tussle with the NHL. He has grown the NHLPA revenues and managed to get the players significant pay hikes over the years. He has turned the NHLPA into modern efficient operation and turned it from a house union into a formidable force. He has put in controls on agents to protect the players.

Pretty stupid to get rid of a winner - sounds like a Mike Millbury trade.

Old
01-20-2005, 06:52 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Yes a majority would have to agree to run Gooedenow out of town but you must remember that the majority has already decided this is the path they choose to walk.He's simply following the mandate provided him by the players and until they tell him that they want otherwise he will continue.Do the players have their own drop dead date for refusing a hard cap? Thats the more hopeful scenario for a sudden change of policy if there is one.When all is said and done Goodenow will still be the top dog of the NHLPA.He'll be there to absorb the onslaught of negativity surely coming the way of the NHLPA,damage control if you will.

It appears already set up with the absence of both Goodenow and Bettman from the last ditch talks to save the season.Should the groundwork for a settlement come to be then its the good old owners and those hockey loving players that saved the day for us fans.All frustration and anger from the pro-owner fans can be directed at Goodenow and the pro-player group can turn their attention onto Bettman.
Of course these two are only absent in body and their influence and respective agendas are present in the form of those they represent who are in attendance.
But this is definately it,last chance-fourth and goal-suddendeath overtime-bottom of the ninth bases loaded and two out-do or die.Pick a cliche,they all fit.

Old
01-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Could they? Sure, all it would take is a vote. But that would ONLY happen if the players like a deal and Goodenow refused to sign off on it or even present it to the union. Even if Goodenow hated the deal he'd more than likely sign off on it knowing he would be out of a job if he didn't go alone with them. The fact remains Goodenow works for the union, not the other way around.

Old
01-20-2005, 07:07 AM
no13matssundin

As I posted in another thread, the info from Garrioch's latest article states the following:

"Goodenow won't be on hand for today's session, but Bettman could be there. "

While I recognize the source is not the greatest, this could be a case of going from "not invited" to being moved out of the loop. I think the players have 'FINALLY' realized that they themselves can get more done than Goodenow. My bet is that he is gone sooner rather than later.

Old
01-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Maybe then we can get on the right track to getting rid of David Frost from the league and take away his agent certification?

Closed Thread