HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this Carter Ashton's "shape up or ship out" year?

View Poll Results: Shape up or ship out?
No way. He'll shape up and then BB won't ship him out. 16 72.73%
Yes. He has the potential to be on a AHL player. Bye bye. 2 9.09%
No, but only because he's with Gary Roberts training like Naz/training like mad. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 08:15 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Is this Carter Ashton's "shape up or ship out" year?

I'm really unsure about this guy. I think a lot of us are.

All I know is that Aulie was a good prospect. Yeah I know he started well, but he can return to that form.

As for Ashton? I didn't see him as an AHL standout. Did you?

Will he be something some day? I can't see what you see.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Joey Hoser

How do you know what I see?

Old
08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Power forwards take longer to develop, and if anyone can get the most out of him, I think it's Dallas Eakins.

He looks a little small, and not filled out, so I think he needs to work hard in that area (helps to train with Gary Roberts), and just get bigger and stronger.

I expect to have to wait a few years with this guy. I'm thinking he breaks into the NHL around age 23-24 and sticks by 25.

I see Dustin Penner potential in this kid. It just takes time to develop these guys.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Sypher04

Hang on, is the poll option suggesting he is currently training with Robert as well? I never heard that.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:05 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

All the options are bad, he's a good player, another year in the AHL and he should be able to make the jump to 2nd/3rd line tweener in the NHL.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Seriously?

This idea that there is an invisible expiry date with developing players needs to stop. Players develop differently and don't follow a linear path. Some take longer, some don't. Power forwards generally take longer.

He just finished his first pro season, a season where he switched teams and had injury issues. Give him time.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:20 AM
ALine

No it would be too premature to put that kind of pressure on him at this point in time. Dude is only, what, like 21? He definately needs more time to fill out, mature both physically and his hockey sense. Ashton has the potential to be a real force, but still can top out as a great depth player, with his size. As much as a liked Aulie, ashton has good potential and promise as well.

OP, let's wait until he has played more than the handful of NHL game he has or a full season with a single team in the AHL, before we jump to any early conclusions. At this point, its too early to tell what he will be.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
No it would be too premature to put that kind of pressure on him at this point in time. Dude is only, what, like 21? He definately needs more time to fill out, mature both physically and his hockey sense. Ashton has the potential to be a real force, but still can top out as a great depth player, with his size. As much as a liked Aulie, ashton has good potential and promise as well.

OP, let's wait until he has played more than the handful of NHL game he has or a full season with a single team in the AHL, before we jump to any early conclusions. At this point, its too early to tell what he will be.
and Kadri is 22 in October, yet its okay to put the weight of the world on his shoulders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so your response right there proves that every dummy who calls Kadri a bust are clueless. Both are young. Don't give up on either

Old
08-17-2012, 09:30 AM
smitty10

Isn't he only 21? Why would we give up on him after a successful start to his professional career with Norfolk? The kid needs at least another year before we can even consider this. 21 goals in 63 games in the AHL as a 20 year old isn't bad at all, especially for a developing powerforward.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

It's off-season and I tend to stay away from these threads because, well, nothing useful really ever comes in off-season threads, and I usually just shake my head and move along. This is probably a useless post, but I just felt like passing along that it seems to me that a lot of these threads have the same OP this year. Maybe it's just me, or does anyone else notice this too?

Old
08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Paris in Flames

If there's a lockout, I pray a meteor hits earth soon cause I can't put up with questioning 21-23 year old guys much longer.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

No, he has more time because I don't think he's going to be relied upon for offense. He'll be a decent 3rd/4th line guy imo

Old
08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Whydidijoin*

Another completely bias poll that does not give equal options, and this entire thread shows that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Ashton.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:06 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Seriously?

This idea that there is an invisible expiry date with developing players needs to stop. Players develop differently and don't follow a linear path. Some take longer, some don't. Power forwards generally take longer.

He just finished his first pro season, a season where he switched teams and had injury issues. Give him time.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
If there's a lockout, I pray a meteor hits earth soon cause I can't put up with questioning 21-23 year old guys much longer.
Well isn't the World ending in December according to the Mayans and Nostradamus?

Ashton is just a pup at this stage, and big power forwards do take longer to fill out into larger frames and are known to develop at a slower rate as a result.

There really isn't any real pressing time frame on his development as he is not being counted on for Leafs success at this time.

08-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Well isn't the World ending in December according to the Mayans and Nostradamus?
Wouldn't be soon enough in a hockey free world.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Wouldn't be soon enough in a hockey free world.
Current time line .. Summer (Aug) ---> Lockout (Sept) ---> End of World (Dec).

So I suppose in that context there is a pressure point on Ashton.

Otherwise with no NHL happening anyways due to pending lockout, while the AHL is continuing buys more development time for all Leafs prospects, as there will be no "shipping out" happening during a NHL work stoppage.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Rinzler

The answer is no. Ashton is waiver eligible and probably isn't expected to crack the NHL this season anyway. If he does, that's great. If not, that's probably the plan anyway.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:51 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

No, this is Carter Ashton's "First" year.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Federko

OP you're hilarious. You should read up on Bertuzzi and see how long it took him to develop. I hope we don't do what the Islanders did and trade away a "potential" power forward for "veteran leadership"... When are some Leaf fans going to stop overrating older players, and stop giving up on teen aged/early 20s prospects?

Mark my words Ashton will flourish in Carlyle's system. Make no mistake about that.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Frankie

simply giving time is not the answer for all young hockey players. we have to realize that they are not all going to make it. there wouldn't be enough room on the team.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:10 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
simply giving time is not the answer for all young hockey players. we have to realize that they are not all going to make it. there wouldn't be enough room on the team.
The vast majority of prospects never make it and this holds true for every teams prospects . This is why i get a good laugh at our board .

Power forwards take longer to develop

D's take longer to develop

Big guys take longer to develop

He's only x years old .

There is some truth to all these statements i read about our prospects but the greater truth is the majority of all prospects never make it and this fact tends to be forgotten by some .

Old
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
paulster2626

Carter Ashton definitely needs to shape up!

Old
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
The vast majority of prospects never make it and this holds true for every teams prospects . This is why i get a good laugh at our board .

Power forwards take longer to develop

D's take longer to develop

Big guys take longer to develop

He's only x years old .

There is some truth to all these statements i read about our prospects but the greater truth is the majority of all prospects never make it and this fact tends to be forgotten by some .
Yeah being a fan is weird huh? We actually like our team and prospects. So naive eh?

Old
08-17-2012, 11:19 AM
FifthLine

you're poll is terrible... it doesn't even make sense

Closed Thread