HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop signs are for quitters: the Moises Sierra story

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
shully
Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Ya Id never heard that either.

Best I'd heard was a #3. And he doesn't have the secondary pitches for that yet.

But like Everlong, I think if the slider's there, he coudl top out at a low end 2.
There is TONS of value in a controllable #3 starter. They can command upwards of $13M/year on the open market and if Albarez turns into one we got one for under a million dollars and there is huge value in that

Old
08-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Auzzie19

Anyone heard the article in the Star about AA saying he believe's that the Jays lineup when healthy is a championship cotending lineup (not inluding rotation). He basically admitted he made a mistake by not getting starting pitching last offseason and said that is his priority this offseason.

Honestly, I see Morrow as our #1 and Romero as a #2/3. That means we need atleast 2 good starters to be competitive next season. I'm gonna guess Marcum comes back as a #4. Garza could be a #2/#3, but I would be hesitant because of the lack of success others like Grienke, Dempster, Happ etc have had who came from the NL. That gives us a rotation of:

I'll estimate the wins each should have for us to compete.

1. Morrow (17-7)
2. Romero/[trade] (15-10)
3. [trade]/Romero (14-12)
4. Marcum (13-11)
5. Alvarez (12-12)

Bullpen: (24-15)

Record: 95-67

Old
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Anyone heard the article in the Star about AA saying he believe's that the Jays lineup when healthy is a championship cotending lineup (not inluding rotation). He basically admitted he made a mistake by not getting starting pitching last offseason and said that is his priority this offseason.

Honestly, I see Morrow as our #1 and Romero as a #2/3. That means we need atleast 2 good starters to be competitive next season. I'm gonna guess Marcum comes back as a #4. Garza could be a #2/#3, but I would be hesitant because of the lack of success others like Grienke, Dempster, Happ etc have had who came from the NL. That gives us a rotation of:

1. Morrow (17-7)
4. Marcum (13-11)
5. Alvarez (12-12)

I think we get a top of the rotation arm no one expects and a innings eater with 2-3 years of control. That would force Alvarez out to Buffalo (AAA) to start the year unless hes lights out in spring training.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I don't know who our starting pitching will be, but if you are estimating the Jays record it's hard to go wrong with 81-81

Old
08-14-2012, 08:24 AM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I don't know who our starting pitching will be, but if you are estimating the Jays record it's hard to go wrong with 81-81
Ha ha ha. We get it, you don't think the Jays wil ever compete. Now stop spewing your cynicism and actually contribute to discussion please

Old
08-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post

1. Morrow (17-7)
4. Marcum (13-11)
5. Alvarez (12-12)

Garza has had success in the AL East before. The real hesitation with him should come from the recent injury he has sustained. Marcum as a #4 would be a good idea, however, how often does a player re-sign with a team after being traded away?

Old
08-14-2012, 08:47 AM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I think we get a top of the rotation arm no one expects and a innings eater with 2-3 years of control. That would force Alvarez out to Buffalo (AAA) to start the year unless hes lights out in spring training.
There are rumblings here that the AAA team could be moved here to Ottawa or the AA team here and NH gets the AAA.

Your right somewhere East the team has to move. All the AAA teams in their division are in the International League and would be nice to see them play those guys so some guys may have some familiarity when coming to the bigs.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Garza has had success in the AL East before. The real hesitation with him should come from the recent injury he has sustained. Marcum as a #4 would be a good idea, however, how often does a player re-sign with a team after being traded away?
Quite often. But very rarely to receive a reduced role, as they say. Though as a starter the difference between being the #1 and #4 is 1 start per season. Personally, I think if Marcum wants to come back, wants being the operative word, he'd be welcome back as the #2/3 depending on if Ricky gets his head straight. That's not to say I like him as the #2 pitcher, but if AA can't get a guy in trade, Marcum would be a decent pick-up for $10-13M and 3-4 years MAX.

Personally, I think a guy like McCarthy or Colby Lewis would bring similar results for less cost and would go after them to be mid-rotation guys, but if AA's looking for top rotation guys in FA, it's really down to Marcum and maybe Peavy who I think will sign with NY if he doesn't stay in Chicago...

On a side note, would we set the record for most Colby's on a team with 2 if we got Lewis? lol

Old
08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Quite often. But very rarely to receive a reduced role, as they say. Though as a starter the difference between being the #1 and #4 is 1 start per season. Personally, I think if Marcum wants to come back, wants being the operative word, he'd be welcome back as the #2/3 depending on if Ricky gets his head straight. That's not to say I like him as the #2 pitcher, but if AA can't get a guy in trade, Marcum would be a decent pick-up for $10-13M and 3-4 years MAX.

Personally, I think a guy like McCarthy or Colby Lewis would bring similar results for less cost and would go after them to be mid-rotation guys, but if AA's looking for top rotation guys in FA, it's really down to Marcum and maybe Peavy who I think will sign with NY if he doesn't stay in Chicago...

On a side note, would we set the record for most Colby's on a team with 2 if we got Lewis? lol
McCarthy I like, Lewis not so much. The top of the rotation guys, IMO, are Grienke, Shields and Haren. Haren could come at a discount because he has not had the greatest year. If he's healthy, he'd be a good pick up. He had a WAR of 6.4 in 2011.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
There are rumblings here that the AAA team could be moved here to Ottawa or the AA team here and NH gets the AAA.

Your right somewhere East the team has to move. All the AAA teams in their division are in the International League and would be nice to see them play those guys so some guys may have some familiarity when coming to the bigs.
It's more likely they get Ottawa for AAA or Buffalo. NH isn't moving up, Boston's got some kind of territorial rights (I forget the particulars) that prevent that. Either way they definitely need to get to the IL, if not just for the park factor, for the reason you said it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some familiarity with prospects in the division.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Ottawa or Buffalo would be ideal, logistically though is it not impossible for Ottawa since its already to late and they don't have the expansion rights yet? Buffalo is closer to Toronto and has an expiring contract with the Mets and I think is to perfect of a fit for us.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
McCarthy I like, Lewis not so much. The top of the rotation guys, IMO, are Grienke, Shields and Haren. Haren could come at a discount because he has not had the greatest year. If he's healthy, he'd be a good pick up. He had a WAR of 6.4 in 2011.
I think Greinke's looking for a Sabathia type deal, 7-8 years and 160M+, which is out of our comfort zone. As for Haren and Shields, both their options will be picked up since they're essentially $12M and $7.5M after you factor the buyout, respectively. I would definitely be up for buying low on Haren, especially if Greinke stays in LA they might be willing to trade him.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
There is TONS of value in a controllable #3 starter. They can command upwards of $13M/year on the open market and if Albarez turns into one we got one for under a million dollars and there is huge value in that
Where did I say that theres no value there?

I said he's a high end 3, low end 2, if/when he gets his secondary stuff straightened out.

Im a big Alvarez supporter, but he's not there yet guys

Old
08-14-2012, 09:50 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

Ottawa has pretty much been ruled out last time I checked. Not to mention it was never in the discussion for AAA, only AA I believe.

And NH can't have a AAA team, too close to the Paw Sox

Old
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
I think Greinke's looking for a Sabathia type deal, 7-8 years and 160M+, which is out of our comfort zone. As for Haren and Shields, both their options will be picked up since they're essentially $12M and $7.5M after you factor the buyout, respectively. I would definitely be up for buying low on Haren, especially if Greinke stays in LA they might be willing to trade him.
No way Grienke gets that much. I think he will get somewhere around what Cain got. But then again. Dodgers are buying and we've already seen them go dumb with the money.

I think Angels keep Haren but decline option on Santana. Thats a good buy low option. I'm not sure its just a bad year for Haren either, his velocity has declined.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
No way Grienke gets that much. I think he will get somewhere around what Cain got. But then again. Dodgers are buying and we've already seen them go dumb with the money.

I think Angels keep Haren but decline option on Santana. Thats a good buy low option. I'm not sure its just a bad year for Haren either, his velocity has declined.
I would take the risk on Sanata, velocity is still fine and he really has struggled this year. He usually dominates us so perhaps getting him in Rogers center for 15 games might help him out. He is also a Dominican where it seems most Dominicans who play here end up excelling.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM
ryno23

Quote:
Ottawa has pretty much been ruled out last time I checked. Not to mention it was never in the discussion for AAA, only AA I believe.

And NH can't have a AAA team, too close to the Paw Sox
I have a friend who works at City Hall(in the Mayor's office) and there has been some work being done about bringing the team here to start the next season. What they are working on is the cost to update the stadium and get it back to AAA standards.

Lots of the work is hush hush but they say its a huge possibility that they could be here next season.

I am only going on what he has said.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I have a friend who works at City Hall(in the Mayor's office) and there has been some work being done about bringing the team here to start the next season. What they are working on is the cost to update the stadium and get it back to AAA standards.

Lots of the work is hush hush but they say its a huge possibility that they could be here next season.

Very intriguing.

Would the Jays not essentially have to buy a team to move them to Ottawa? Or hope that another owner would be willing to move them there

Old
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
ryno23

Quote:
Very intriguing.

Would the Jays not essentially have to buy a team to move them to Ottawa? Or hope that another owner would be willing to move them there
From what I heard there are a couple of people interested in owning the team here in Ottawa but there is still work to be done.

Like I said no concrete evidence other than my source(friend) in the Mayor's office.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:

What have the Jays minor leaguers done to deserve playing in Ottawa?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
TootooTrain
-

@drewdavison: Source: Former #Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba "looks like he's going to Toronto [Blue Jays]."

Okie....

Edit; More info:

Quote:
Former Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba is "close" to signing with the Toronto Blue Jays, according to a source.

Torrealba was designated for assignment after the Rangers acquired Geovany Soto from the Cubs on July 31. He was batting .236 with three home runs and 12 RBIs in 49 games with the Rangers.

Torrealba signed a two-year, $6.25 million contract with the Rangers before the 2011 season. Texas wasn't able to find a trade partner for Torrealba, and it will be responsible for the remaining salary.
Wouldn't look too much into this. Jays probably don't feel comfortable with Gomes as the #2 for the rest of the year.

Last edited by TootooTrain: 08-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old
08-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Good signing. We need depth at catcher and Gomes shouldn't be catching much.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

So who goes down to make room for him?

Old
08-14-2012, 02:36 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote: