HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop signs are for quitters: the Moises Sierra story

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Sid Seixeiro ‏@Sid_Seixeiro
RT @mlbdailydish: RT @JonHeymanCBS: Cliff lee did NOT clear waivers

Discuss.
The Dodgers claimed and traded cash for Blanton today. I do not know if you can put in 2 claims at once. Who below us in the standings has the financial ability to take on the contract?

Old
08-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
The Dodgers claimed and traded cash for Blanton today. I do not know if you can put in 2 claims at once. Who below us in the standings has the financial ability to take on the contract?
The Mets? They're all for spending money they don't always have. Why does it have to be someone below us though, could easily be a playoff team. Maybe the Dodgers.

Curious, how much time does 'said' team have to work out a deal before Philly has to pull him back?

Old
08-03-2012, 05:21 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
The Mets? They're all for spending money they don't always have. Why does it have to be someone below us though, could easily be a playoff team. Maybe the Dodgers.

Curious, how much time does 'said' team have to work out a deal before Philly has to pull him back?
The Dodgers are ahead of us in waiver priority...it goes the entire NL then AL.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
The other day Sierra ran right thru Butterfields stop sign to score easily.
He's only seen 4 ab's I think where hes 1-4 with a RBI.
Offensively hes prolly a poor mans Nelson Cruz but better defensively.
Cruz is one of the better defensive right fielders in all of baseball. Not really sure if Sierra will ever stack up to his defense either. He's pretty much a poor man's Cruz.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:25 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

I believe it's a week.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
All for not. According to the Phillies beat writer...

@howardeskin
Phils P cliff Lee pulled off waivers per CBS sports. What that means a team claimed Lee and phils could not work out deal and pulled him off

Old
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
I'm not sure that's exactly right. Any team can put in a claim on someone exposed to waivers. If two teams put in a claim I believe the team that's lowest in the standings get him and if they are tied it always goes to the team in that league. I believe that's when it matters but I may be mixing it up.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
All for not. According to the Phillies beat writer...

@howardeskin
Phils P cliff Lee pulled off waivers per CBS sports. What that means a team claimed Lee and phils could not work out deal and pulled him off
now if they expose him again and a team grabs him they can just get him for free. The Phillies can no longer pull him off if they elected to expose him again.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Bjindaho

Claiming Lee would have been a smart move. Either they give him away, work out a deal, or pull him back. No matter what, he isn't a Yankee.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

This is going to upset alot of people now knowing this went down even though we do not know who claimed him and what happend. Probably because we are to cheap too

Old
08-03-2012, 05:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Sid Seixeiro ‏@Sid_Seixeiro
RT @mlbdailydish: RT @JonHeymanCBS: Cliff lee did NOT clear waivers

Discuss.
I don't know why we're talking about this. This happens all the time during the post-deadline part of the season and we just don't hear about it. It's not really news unless a Rios situation happens and the team doesn't pull them off waivers (thus letting the other team claim them.

Seriously, this is a complete and utter non-story created by the media because they realize "oh ****, nothing huge happened at the trade deadline, now we need something to talk about until the playoffs start."

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Swervin81
Du-du-du-du-du-duel

Johnny Damon and his ***** arm DFA'd.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:51 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Haha anyone watching the Lawrie/Arencibia table tennis thing on CTV?

Old
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Cruz is one of the better defensive right fielders in all of baseball. Not really sure if Sierra will ever stack up to his defense either. He's pretty much a poor man's Cruz.
Im assuming the advanced stats say this because everytime I watch the Rangers play Cruz looks absolutely clueless out there.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Johnny Damon and his ***** arm DFA'd.
he will join the likes of abreu and matsui, his former teammates. good riddance IMO

Old
08-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Im assuming the advanced stats say this because everytime I watch the Rangers play Cruz looks absolutely clueless out there.
Last year he was brutal, I saw his mistakes too if you were referring to his failures in the WS. This year he's been much better though and he has a strong arm too. Only thing I'd say Sierra has over him is his crazy arm.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Whats the deal with Lincecum?

Was really good last season and fallen off a cliff this season.

He seems to be somewhat turning it around with good starts in 3 of his last 4.

Anyone know what his salary is going forward?
He's got the lowest LOB% in the league so he is struggling to strand runners a lot. He's got the highest swinging strike % of his career so guys are still struggling to make contact with his stuff but when they do, they are falling for hits as his LD% is really high at 24.4%. In 2008, he had 20.8% and that was the worst before this year. HR/FB ratio is by far at his career worst at 12.5%. He's never hit the 10% mark before this season. GB% is down (flyball % remains the same though), walk rate up to a career worst rate.

I dunno, it's a bit weird as some of the stuff seems unsustainable and he seems to be getting unlucky but at the same time, he's been bad too and he's lost some ticks off his fastball so maybe we shouldn't look at his career numbers when his fastball was better because he is getting hit harder. My guess: it's a command issue. He pitched up in the zone too much and he got away with it when his fastball was good but it isn't all that good anymore so he is not getting away with it. He is better than a 5.62 ERA.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:13 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He's got the lowest LOB% in the league so he is struggling to strand runners a lot. He's got the highest swinging strike % of his career so guys are still struggling to make contact with his stuff but when they do, they are falling for hits as his LD% is really high at 24.4%. In 2008, he had 20.8% and that was the worst before this year. HR/FB ratio is by far at his career worst at 12.5%. He's never hit the 10% mark before this season. GB% is down (flyball % remains the same though), walk rate up to a career worst rate.

I dunno, it's a bit weird as some of the stuff seems unsustainable and he seems to be getting unlucky but at the same time, he's been bad too and he's lost some ticks off his fastball so maybe we shouldn't look at his career numbers when his fastball was better because he is getting hit harder. My guess: it's a command issue. He pitched up in the zone too much and he got away with it when his fastball was good but it isn't all that good anymore so he is not getting away with it. He is better than a 5.62 ERA.
If management was commited to upping payroll would he be a good buy low candidate ( obviously not money wise)?

Me thinks this is just a bump in the road and he soon returns to being a pretty dynamite pitcher.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Everlong
-

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Source: #Dodgers awarded the claiming rights on Cliff Lee. It remains unlikely that they ultimately obtain him from #Phillies.

Turns out it was the dodgers as expected. Doubtful anything comes out of it though.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I'm not sure that's exactly right. Any team can put in a claim on someone exposed to waivers. If two teams put in a claim I believe the team that's lowest in the standings get him and if they are tied it always goes to the team in that league. I believe that's when it matters but I may be mixing it up.
Turns out claiming order begins with NL, worst to best, then AL, worst to best. I was confused at first myself.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Turns out claiming order begins with NL, worst to best, then AL, worst to best. I was confused at first myself.
thanks for clarity. I knew there was favouritism given the players current league but had the way it works a little backwards. Thanks for the clarity.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:29 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Source: #Dodgers awarded the claiming rights on Cliff Lee. It remains unlikely that they ultimately obtain him from #Phillies.

Turns out it was the dodgers as expected. Doubtful anything comes out of it though.
The dodgers may have just been blocking other teams from getting him.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
If management was commited to upping payroll would he be a good buy low candidate ( obviously not money wise)?

Me thinks this is just a bump in the road and he soon returns to being a pretty dynamite pitcher.
He is making 22M next season so that's a tough buy low. I wouldn't do it unless they ate a significant amount of salary and even then, I dunno. Yeah he might bounce back but I don't think he will ever be a dominant pitcher again and I think you worry about his arm. I'm not sure if he is still throwing sliders but there were talks earlier on in the season that Lincecum was going to stop throwing sliders to protect his elbow + his velocity is down + his size is a concern too so major red flags here.

If he bounces back next season, he is a FA so he could just leave elsewhere (Jays wouldn't lock him up long-term) so I don't think he can be a long-term piece.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He is making 22M next season so that's a tough buy low. I wouldn't do it unless they ate a significant amount of salary and even then, I dunno. Yeah he might bounce back but I don't think he will ever be a dominant pitcher again and I think you worry about his arm. I'm not sure if he is still throwing sliders but there were talks earlier on in the season that Lincecum was going to stop throwing sliders to protect his elbow + his velocity is down + his size is a concern too so major red flags here.

If he bounces back next season, he is a FA so he could just leave elsewhere (Jays wouldn't lock him up long-term) so I don't think he can be a long-term piece.
Cool im trying to think of semi ace's or legit #2's who could be available in trade.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:54 PM
weems

Deck McGuire with another crappy start tonight.

I know the draft is a crapshoot but its depressing to think Chris Sale was taken 2 spots after and Yasmani Grandal just one spot after.

Closed Thread