HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter Ashton Projection?

View Poll Results: Carter Ashton Projection?
1st liner 6 4.72%
2nd liner 27 21.26%
3rd liner 78 61.42%
4th liner 4 3.15%
Depth forward 4 3.15%
Career minor leaguer 8 6.30%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

vCash: 500
Carter Ashton Projection?

I see some people saying Ashton will end up being a 3rd liner, but I still think he can be a top 6 forward, possibly a top line player if he develops his offensive game, and he obviously still has time to do so as he is only 21. Obviously there is a chance he ends up being a 3rd liner with an offensive touch but I see him being a top 6 forward.

What do you guys think he will end up being?

1st liner
2nd liner
3rd liner
4th liner
Depth forward
Career minor leaguer

I added the 4th liner, depth forward, and career minor leaguer options because there is a chance he ends up being one of those, just very unlikely.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
I see some people saying Ashton will end up being a 3rd liner, but I still think he can be a top 6 forward, possibly a top line player if he develops his offensive game, and he obviously still has time to do so as he is only 21. Obviously there is a chance he ends up being a 3rd liner with an offensive touch but I see him being a top 6 forward.

What do you guys think he will end up being?

1st liner
2nd liner
3rd liner
4th liner
Depth forward
Career minor leaguer

I added the 4th liner, depth forward, and career minor leaguer options because there is a chance he ends up being one of those, just very unlikely.

So I see that you turned this into an opinion poll. Scouts project him as a 3'rd line winger. nuff said. He does not have enough skill to be a viable 2'nd liner.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
So I see that you turned this into an opinion poll. Scouts project him as a 3'rd line winger. nuff said. He does not have enough skill to be a viable 2'nd liner.
What scouts?

Old
08-02-2012, 07:14 PM
HeroNtF

He's supposed to be a "power forward" prototype I believe. I think he will spend a year or two more in the "A" before making the step up to the NHL, as power forwards take longer to develop into their style of play. He will either be a 2/3 line winger, and will be battling Biggs/Frattin for those spots.

Any way you cut it, if our prospects make the NHL, we will have a powerful right wing, and hopefully Ross can make it on the left... I look forward to the transition of some of these young player. If the trust Burke has put into these kids via trades/drafting, we could have a great team in a few years... if not... we will still have the best bottom 6 in the league

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:17 PM
mooseOAK*

I loved his VO2 max rating.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
darrylsittler27

Don't get your hopes up yet.

He is behind Frattin and Biggs even.If he does become 3rd line,he will have to develop a lot from now.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:23 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

I see Colborne, Kadri and Frattin as top six potentials. When I look at guys like Ross, Ashton and Biggs I see power forwards whom may not have the greatest offensive upside but will most certainly do all the ugly work (block shots, hit, fight, pester)

To conclude: Ashton suits a 3rd line role.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 08-02-2012 at 11:01 PM.
RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:27 PM
416Leafer

Hopefully he shows a lot more offence this year. He wasnt even producing a ton at the AHL level, was barely above 0.5 PPG.

At this point projected 3rd liner until he starts proving otherwise.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:43 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
I see Colborne, Kadri and Frattin as top six potentials. When I look at guys like Ross, Ashton and Biggs I see power forwards whom may not have the greatest offensive upside but will most certainly do all the ugly work (block shots, hit, fight, pester)
Hard to Ross about Tyler Biggs and Ross so far.

I can see Kadri be a top liner. Colborne a second line centre in the future. Frattin is a top six player that may get jumped around with the third line for defensive play. Ashton is most definitely a third liner. This is what I see with their projection so far but it may change.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:47 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

3rd line scoring option. I'd expect him to be a 15-20 goal and 35 point guy. Not exactly impressive but you need those kinds of guys.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Something tells me this thread will be a candidate for an epic bump come 2013. I'll keep it in mind.

Diamond Joe Quimby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Something tells me this thread will be a candidate for an epic bump come 2013. I'll keep it in mind.
That is still too early to tell.

Frattin is 24 now, and it took him until this past season to finally make the big club, and he still has some upside and projects as a top 6 forward.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:01 PM
ALine

Agree on the 3rd liner. He has never really been a scoring threat at any level he's played at, but has been able to produce at a moderate pace. In the NHL, a guy with his height and weight and skating ability will atleast be a 4th liner for sure. I think from what i've seen from him he will most likely be a 3rd liner, with the ability to play up in the top six in certain situations and not look to out of place. Like a fully healthy C. Armstrong.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Frelimo

Quote:

Frattin is 24 now, and it took him until this past season to finally make the big club, and he still has some upside and projects as a top 6 forward.
This was Frattin's first year pro though.

I have nothing against Ashton, and think he can be a quality 3rd liner in a few years, but I think Leaf fan's will wish they kept Aulie.

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:13 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Frattin projects as a top 6 forward?

Old
08-02-2012, 08:33 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
The way i see it is that i dont think any of Ross, Ashton, or Biggs individually are projected/expected to be a top 6 forward... But given that we have three of them, wingers with a good mix of physicality and skill, I think there's a good chance that one of them becomes a top 6er just going by the odds, I just dont know which one.

Similarly while I agree that Kadri, Colborne, and Frattin all have top 6 potential, going by the odds, one (or maybe two) of them wont become a top 6 forward.

Some prospects exceed expectations, some fall below them.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Frattin projects as a top 6 forward?
My mistake. He has the "potential" to be a top 6 forward in this league.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:40 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
definitely has 2nd line potential. The thing with him this year, it was his first year pro and for his first 30 games or so, Almost EVERY game he'd get into the offensive zone but was snake bitten and couldnt burry it. Literally couldn't get a point for around 20-30 games, didn't get his first goal til january/february I believe?

Had Frattin stayed all 82 games it's fair to say he would've had around 120-130 shots putting him 5th-6th on the team.
However he could very well end up being a really solid 3rd line guy with 2nd line filler potential, I expect around 30-40 points from him next year.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
I'll agree with you there. Semantics and all

Old
08-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Dwight King.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
My Sweet Shadow

I envision him being a solid two-way forward, but I don't think he's got the offensive skill to become a 2nd liner in the NHL. He never dominated offensively in the WHL; 71 points in 62 games in his final season was his best output by far. His rookie season in the AHL was pretty good, but 38 points in 63 games isn't all that spectacular.

Realistically, he should make a solid 3rd liner.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Ricky Bobby

At best he develops into a number 4 winger but realistically develops into an ideal number 5 or 6 winger like Armstrong was.

I like Frattin a lot but I also don`t see him being an ideal top 4 winger. More of a 5 or 6.

If Ashton and Frattin develop into players that can chips in 25-35 points a year (with little to no powerplay time) but be very tough to play against that is still very valuable players.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:05 PM
glasses91

jvr kadri kessel
damigo colborne frattin
ross mckegg ashton
devane crescenzi biggs

gardiner phaneuf
rielly percy
finn blacker

I think I might take a couple years off...

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:27 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
jvr kadri kessel
damigo colborne frattin
ross mckegg ashton
devane crescenzi biggs

gardiner phaneuf
rielly percy
finn blacker

I think I might take a couple years off...
That's a terrible lineup.

In 2-3 years I see it like this:

????-????-Kessel
JVR-grabo-kulemin/Biggs
Ross-????-Kulemin/Biggs
Brown-????-Devane

Phaneuf-Rielly
Gardiner-Gunnarson
????-????

teams change alot every few years, I see lupul getting a 2-3 year contract and then us letting him leave/trading him as he'll be hitting mid-30's. JVR will stick around due to skill/size, Grabo will still be on his contract, Kulemin/Biggs huge guys who can split 3rd and 2nd line duties with their 2-way ability. New 3rd line C as we'll probably get one through free agency, same with 4th line C(we got steckel for a 3rd rounder i believe)

Can't see guys like D'amigo making the team, too much to prove to get on there. Kadri I can see sticking for the next one or two years, but going in a trade for a #1 C.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

If he puts it all together? Top line. No joke, he has the raw potential of offense to do it. If not, second line Powerforward that would thrive along with a playmaking center. I was ecstatic when we got him and I am so excited to see what he can do with the marlies in the upcoming season. He was really starting to mesh well with our team there and especially with Colborne. He needs to learn how to utilize his teammates, it's crucial, he can finish but he has got to realize there is more to the offensive game.

Physically and Offensively, he's a real beast, and he's still growing technically. He has more than enough time to put it all together and along with Colborne I hope he pans out to their best potential.