HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Carter Ashton Projection?

View Poll Results: Carter Ashton Projection?
1st liner 6 4.72%
2nd liner 27 21.26%
3rd liner 78 61.42%
4th liner 4 3.15%
Depth forward 4 3.15%
Career minor leaguer 8 6.30%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
That is still too early to tell.

Frattin is 24 now, and it took him until this past season to finally make the big club, and he still has some upside and projects as a top 6 forward.
I thought it was because he was in college?

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
jvr kadri kessel
damigo colborne frattin
ross mckegg ashton
devane crescenzi biggs

gardiner phaneuf
rielly percy
finn blacker

I think I might take a couple years off...
I dfind it hard to see Colborne making it to the next level as anything other then a 3rd line center. He's not shown enough consistency in the AHL to sway my opinion. maybe he was hurting for a while?? I would still give him another season in the AHL to fine tune his skills and hopefully put things together. maybe he can turn things around for himself.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:56 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Maximum 3rd line

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:48 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
jvr kadri kessel
damigo colborne frattin
ross mckegg ashton
devane crescenzi biggs

gardiner phaneuf
rielly percy
finn blacker

I think I might take a couple years off...
Classic HF

In "a couple years" (take it to mean ~3 or so), our average age of our team will be 24.2 with 8 guys 23 or younger. That'd definitely turn out well.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:53 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
just trying to show myself were not that bad jeez. I will keep my future prospect lines to myself next time.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:57 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
just trying to show myself were not that bad jeez. I will keep my future prospect lines to myself next time.
Nothing against you personally...it's just a good example of how highly we think of our prospects. Likely you'll see Frattin and maybe Kadri make the jump this year and then within a few years you'll see Rielly, one of Blacker/Percy/Finn, and one or two of Colborne/Biggs/Ashton/McKegg/Ross/Devane. It'd be pretty impressive if every one of our prospects turns out to be an impact NHLer (and especially with such a short development period).

Old
08-03-2012, 12:03 AM
glasses91

well kadri and ashton WILL be linemates..

Old
08-03-2012, 12:26 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
well kadri and ashton WILL be linemates..
Ok...

Old
08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
mcleex

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Ok...
His name is glasses. He can see into the future

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:20 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I liked your line-up, and I think you are on track with where Burke is heading. However, I think you may see an extra vet or two in there.

Lupul-_____-Kessel
JVR-Colborne-Frattin
Ross-Kadri-Biggs

D'amigo, Devane, Ashton, Deschamps, McKegg etc etc I have no idea who will become 4th liners.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
JackJ

Even value for Aulie. Future third line talent.

Ashton and Colborne will tear it up in 12/13.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:24 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I do feel Ashton gets a really bad rap for his 15 game stint this past year as a 20 year old. It's unbelievable how many people feel they have him pegged based on those games.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
That is still too early to tell.

Frattin is 24 now, and it took him until this past season to finally make the big club, and he still has some upside and projects as a top 6 forward.
Well to be fair, Frattin spent 4 years in college and had some run-ins with the law. His career projection hasn't exactly been standard. Who knows where he would be if he had gone the CHL/AHL route.

08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelimo View Post
This was Frattin's first year pro though.

I have nothing against Ashton, and think he can be a quality 3rd liner in a few years, but I think Leaf fan's will wish they kept Aulie.
Agree.....Aulie has more value than Ashton now and in the future.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Well to be fair, Frattin spent 4 years in college and had some run-ins with the law. His career projection hasn't exactly been standard. Who knows where he would be if he had gone the CHL/AHL route.
It's frustrating to see. People here are really selling Ashton short and have no idea on what he is capable of. People compare a guy like Frattin to Kadri and Ashton not realizing one has finished his college years and is about 25. While the other two fairly young and still developing and honing their skills.

Aulie is a going to be a very good defensemen for whatever club he plays for but ashton will bring in a tangent that this club lacks, a combo of skill, grit, physicality and defense in a forward that can play in the top six. He will also drop the gloves if necessary. He is without a doubt our true powerforward for the top six.

If there is anyone in our system that can be a powerforward top line player, it's Ashton.

08-03-2012, 10:34 PM
IBeL13f

I wouldn't discount Biggs either, LR. I think he's going to become a hell of a player.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Agree.....Aulie has more value than Ashton now and in the future.
I'd say its a wash as it stands now. Neither has accomplish anything at the nhl level.
Don't forget, Aulie was terrible in his short stint this year. He has a long way to go yet in his development.
I do agree though, in the future, this has the potential to be quite lopsided. Aulie has the potential to be a stud.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I'd say its a wash as it stands now. Neither has accomplish anything at the nhl level.
Don't forget, Aulie was terrible in his short stint this year. He has a long way to go yet in his development.
I do agree though, in the future, this has the potential to be quite lopsided. Aulie has the potential to be a stud.
I also want to remind you all that he is 2 years younger than Aulie. 2 years is ample time for a prospect to turn things around.

I really like Aulie I do but people really have to realize there is more to this trade.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I also want to remind you all that he is 2 years younger than Aulie. 2 years is ample time for a prospect to turn things around.

I really like Aulie I do but people really have to realize there is more to this trade.
I don't understand. What is there more to? We took an area of depth on defense to add to an area of weakness, size in the prospect pool.

As it stands now, neither are anything, one has the potential to be a 2nd liner, but in all likely hood will max out as a third 3rd liner. The other has tip pairing potential, but could still end up as a servicable nhl defensemen with great size and grit and pretty good wheels, too.

In the future, I think we lose this trade.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I don't understand. What is there more to? We took an area of depth on defense to add to an area of weakness, size in the prospect pool.

As it stands now, neither are anything, one has the potential to be a 2nd liner, but in all likely hood will max out as a third 3rd liner. The other has tip pairing potential, but could still end up as a servicable nhl defensemen with great size and grit and pretty good wheels, too.

In the future, I think we lose this trade.
You are underestimating one and being optimistic another, which seems to the case for the majority.

Here Ashton is regarded as a third liner to a second liner baring a miracle, while the other is regarded as surefire top 4 with top pairing potential to some extent. This is the same comparison Kadri gets with Frattin. Frattin being 25 while Kadri is about to turn 22, 3 year difference, = 3 years of experience behind. Yet Kadri is behind Frattin. Ashton put up 19 goals in the start of the season after turning Pro, that's not something you take lightly for a guy who just came out of the WHL while his biggest problem is his offensive talent hasn't been brought. Aulie has had a year and a half in the AHL before turning it up with the big club, however he still hasn't solidified it with the Bolts organization where defense is a dire need. Ashton joined this club due to our need for size in the forward department as well that gritty feature, he wasn't able to stick with our club either but it was mostly due to the depth.

ATM this trade is deadlock even, neither of the club has gained anything from it so far as it was a trade clearly to fill the organization's need, however people consider Aulie to be the winner. When one has more experience in the Pros, more accumulated with the big leagues and physically as well ready for the bigs. While the other is still growing to his game, and frame and is still developing and has only tasted 10-13 games in the NHL?

From all the points it seems more and more that if Ashton does project what he was drafted for and what he was showing in the AHL at the start, we would win trade without a second thought, but people really don't take this consider at all. That is my point and that's what pretty sad.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
glasses91

takes a mans man to save their fathers life!

Old
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
takes a mans man to save their fathers life!
Man that I won't deny was awesome when we got him here. Still love aulie for that.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:40 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
You are underestimating one and being optimistic another, which seems to the case for the majority.

Here Ashton is regarded as a third liner to a second liner baring a miracle, while the other is regarded as surefire top 4 with top pairing potential to some extent. This is the same comparison Kadri gets with Frattin. Frattin being 25 while Kadri is about to turn 22, 3 year difference, = 3 years of experience behind. Yet Kadri is behind Frattin. Ashton put up 19 goals in the start of the season after turning Pro, that's not something you take lightly for a guy who just came out of the WHL while his biggest problem is his offensive talent hasn't been brought. Aulie has had a year and a half in the AHL before turning it up with the big club, however he still hasn't solidified it with the Bolts organization where defense is a dire need. Ashton joined this club due to our need for size in the forward department as well that gritty feature, he wasn't able to stick with our club either but it was mostly due to the depth.

ATM this trade is deadlock even, neither of the club has gained anything from it so far as it was a trade clearly to fill the organization's need, however people consider Aulie to be the winner. When one has more experience in the Pros, more accumulated with the big leagues and physically as well ready for the bigs. While the other is still growing to his game, and frame and is still developing and has only tasted 10-13 games in the NHL?

From all the points it seems more and more that if Ashton does project what he was drafted for and what he was showing in the AHL at the start, we would win trade without a second thought, but people really don't take this consider at all. That is my point and that's what pretty sad.
I think you are doing the same thing. Over rating one and under rating the other. Ashton has never been a real offensive threat at any level he has played at. It is highly doubtful that he develops that at the NHL level. You are projecting him as a top liner, something he has never been at any level!

Throughout Aulies junior career he was a heavily relied on guy to shut down the other teams offense. Recall the 'Twin Towers' and the WJC. Its widely known and accepted that big defensemen take a longer time to develop their game at the NHL level.

And who is talking about Kadri here? Don't lump me in with a certain group that has nothing to do with this to further your point. For the record, I don't have frattin ahead of Kadri. Look at the prospects ranking thread, neither does the majority of posters here

Old
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I do feel Ashton gets a really bad rap for his 15 game stint this past year as a 20 year old. It's unbelievable how many people feel they have him pegged based on those games.
Well he hasn't really lit it up in any of the leagues he's played in. 42nd in the league in his final year in the WHL, 24th amongst rookies in the AHL last year, and no points in 15 NHL games last year.

He's a great prospect, I just don't see him ever developing top six offensive skills.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think you are doing the same thing. Over rating one and under rating the other. Ashton has never been a real offensive threat at any level he has played at. It is highly doubtful that he develops that at the NHL level. You are projecting him as a top liner, something he has never been at any level.

Throughout Aulies junior career he was a heavily relies on guy to shut down the other teams offense. Recall the 'Twin Towers' and the WJC. Its widel known and accepted that big defensemen take a longer time to develop their game at the NHL level.

And who is talking about Kadri here? Don't lump me in with a certain group that has nothing to do with this to further your point. For the record, I don't have frattin ahead of Kadri. Look at the prospects ranking thread, neither does the majority of posters.
Not really. I have rated both as second pairing players, aka second line forwards, and second pair defender.

I remember the Twin Towers but I also remember how wellwood, esposito was a beast in the WJC too. Tournaments can only prove soo much, yea Aulie was used as one of the twin towers with Guy boucher, but that doesn't mean much if he can't do that in the NHL now does it? As for Ashton not being that Goal scoring guy, he's been around the 25 - 30 goal scoring area in the WHL majority of the time if I recall correctly. I am not pegging him as a finisher that Lupul was in the AHL nor Etem currently. I am just stating this guy has offense for a guy who hits like a truck, plays defensively an so on. Aulie is a guy who is also a huge defensemen with very good defensive talent, hits crazy, and stands up for his team mates but doesn't have that strong offensive game to him, as he is more of a shut down defensmen.

Also 19 goals for a guy who just joined in the AHL is pretty damn impressive.

I am not pegging that Frattin/Kadri debate you at all, I am just stating this is what people tend to do. That's all.