HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Insider Rangers article

Old
08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Can Nash and Gaborik play together? On the PP? Both of them are shooters. If Nash is the #1 option which he will be,Gaborik will see time on the 2nd PP unit which gets 40-50 seconds after the 1st unit has been on the ice. Nash. Stepan. Callahan. Richards and DZ on the points.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:36 AM
NYR Viper

I see no reason why the #1 PP unit could not be:

Nash-Stepan-Gaborik
MDZ-Richards

Nash is a pretty good passer and Gaborik has shown he can be as well. Having (2) shooters opening up lanes for eachother and not allowing the other team to key-in on one of them is a good thing. Nash can help retrieve pucks as well. If we were talking Gaborik and Semin I would agree.

Nash can also play around the net on the PP.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:38 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Callahan is 100% getting first PP ice time. He's scored 32 PP goals in the last 3 seasons.

08-03-2012, 11:48 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

As I recall Detroit often uses/used Zetterberg and Datsyuk on separate PP units. I'm confident we could put together two competent units.

Callahan - Stepan - Gaborik
MDZ - Richards

Nash - Boyle - Kreider
McD/Staal - Stralman/Girardi

That's one area where losing Dubi and AA is gonna particularly hurt. Who's gonna center the second PP unit? Boyle is pretty much the only option.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
As I recall Detroit often uses/used Zetterberg and Datsyuk on separate PP units. I'm confident we could put together two competent units.

MDZ - Richards

Nash - Boyle - Kreider

That's one area where losing Dubi and AA is gonna particularly hurt. Who's gonna center the second PP unit? Boyle is pretty much the only option.
If Boyle does nothing except screen the goaltender it's not that bad.

If he can get that aspect of his game down he becomes a lot more valuable.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I knew many would disagree with me, and I am not talking about needing a player who fights all the time up there, but it would be nice to have a player who can stand up for his teammates every once in a while if need be. That is why Dubinsky was/is so valuable. They are hard to find.

All I am looking for would be a Simmonds/Hartnell/Kunitz type of complimentary player. Someone with some "jam" as Torts puts it. I know Callahan will do it. Same with Boyle and to a lesser extent Pyatt, but it would be nice to have that top-6 player with some size and snarl to their game. That's all.

I just know how physical the games within the division get. I am holding out hope for Yogan to continue to develop into that type of top-9 power-forward who can do some of that. Miller is in that same mold as well.
Ryan Clowe, one can only wish

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
I just know that just by looking around the division most of the teams have those types of players. I also know that they are invaluable to a team and that I envy the fact that the Flyers have both Simmonds, the Penguins have Kunitz, the Devils have Clarkson. Those players are difficult to play against because they can do it all.
Agreed, but Prust certainly couldn't "do it all" and Dubinsky didn't do much of anything, last year.

So...still not seeing any major drop-off in toughness. Add Kreider, who is a big, strong guy that isn't afraid of contact. I think we'll be fine.

Then we have the 4th line. I don't see this team having any issues with toughness. Adding Doan would only cement this notion.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Blue Blooded

I'd play the PP units like this:

PP1:
Code:
              Callahan
Nash (D at faceoffs)          Gaborik
       Richards (Faceoffs)  Del Zotto
PP2:
Code:
              Kreider/Pyatt
Stepan (Faceoffs)        Hagelin/Kreider
      Strålman        McDonagh
LH Richards has a LH playmaker in Nash down low, and RH Stepan has a RH Strålman at the point.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:

MDZ - Richards

Nash - Boyle - Kreider

We need to have a competent first PP unit before we start worrying about a competent 2nd unit

Calad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Garfinkel1

Hads-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Step-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Cally

that is a very fordable top 9. Pyatt is the weakest link. I think many of you under-rate Boyle (partly because Torts over-rates him , and Cally is a 2A,1C player on the 3rd line.

The big key here is this -- As long as no player takes a significant step back next season -- Dare I say, top 10 offensive unit?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Hads-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Step-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Cally

that is a very fordable top 9. Pyatt is the weakest link. I think many of you under-rate Boyle (partly because Torts over-rates him , and Cally is a 2A,1C player on the 3rd line.

The big key here is this -- As long as no player takes a significant step back next season -- Dare I say, top 10 offensive unit?
I think you mean formidable? haha

**unless of course you mean the top 9 have the propensity to own certain American automobiles.**

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
hagelin allows you to leverage a 3rd liner into a top line position without losing anything from that line.

you're not gonna lose too much going from Nash-Richards-Gaborik to Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik

I say that because theres only so much puck to go around for those guys...and because Hagelin can do so much dirty work and is a borderline elite level board player (which is remarkable considering his size). Using Hagelin with those 2 lets you put 1 of Callahan or Kreider with Nash and Stepan...and the other gets put on the 3rd line.

Scoring on all 3 lines, elite players on 2 of the 3.

next season....assuming there is a next season, once gabby gets healthy, you may just see the Rangers rampage through the east.
I agree. It's good asset management to play Hagelin with Richards.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:44 AM
bathgate

If Sauer comes back, this team will be a real threat to win the Cup. Am I the only one concerned that we may have a weakness at center. Stepan slowed considerably against the Devils. If he has hit his ceiling, this team could have some issues. AA centered the second line at the end of the playoffs. Center is a position of concern for me

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:02 AM
bathgate

If Sauer makes it back, we'll have the best goalie and defense in the NHL. The only potential weakness is second line center. Stepan looked terrible against the Devils in the playoffs. Am I the only one concerned about a weakness at center?

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do you guys see Haley making the team anytime in the next year?
at this point yea I think he's the 13th F. He wont play much but he will be an option if someone misses a game or two

as for the PP they have to go Richards, Stepan #1 and #2 Cs so no Richards on the point, no one else can play PP C. Unless they sign Arnott

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Can Nash and Gaborik play together? On the PP? Both of them are shooters. If Nash is the #1 option which he will be,Gaborik will see time on the 2nd PP unit which gets 40-50 seconds after the 1st unit has been on the ice. Nash. Stepan. Callahan. Richards and DZ on the points.
nah they have to be on the same PP Unit, teams wont know what to do and one of them will be open for a snipe.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
I think if we go into the season with the current roster, meaning no Doan/Arnott/etc..., then he'll be our 13th forward ...
Haley reminds me of Prust a lot. If he is our 13th going in to the season, that is the least of our problems

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
I knew many would disagree with me, and I am not talking about needing a player who fights all the time up there, but it would be nice to have a player who can stand up for his teammates every once in a while if need be. That is why Dubinsky was/is so valuable. They are hard to find.

All I am looking for would be a Simmonds/Hartnell/Kunitz type of complimentary player. Someone with some "jam" as Torts puts it. I know Callahan will do it. Same with Boyle and to a lesser extent Pyatt, but it would be nice to have that top-6 player with some size and snarl to their game. That's all.

I just know how physical the games within the division get. I am holding out hope for Yogan to continue to develop into that type of top-9 power-forward who can do some of that. Miller is in that same mold as well.
I totally agree with this.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hads-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Step-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Cally

I would switch Nash and Gaborik. But otherwise that looks really solid.

Stepan has showed chemistry which both Gaborik and Kreider (albeit at different times). Gaborik has shown chemistry with Hagelin, who is a fast speedy winger. Kreider is of the same mold, but is much more talented, and can use his size/strength to create more space for Gabby. Our first line would be a terror on the cycle/forecheck.

Third line is solid. Boyle is an average 3rd line center, Callahan is an elite third line winger, and Pyatt is a slightly below average 3rd line winger.

Fourth line is acceptable. Halpren is great at faceoffs and is a great fourth liner. I'd rather gritty speedy forwards on our fourth line over Rupp and Asham, but it is what it is.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpren-Asham

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:57 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Hads-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Step-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Cally

You realize we were the 11th ranked offensive unit last season, right?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I, myself, still hold out hope for Iginla at the deadline as a rental. He can go back to CGY after the year is over.
Would you really be ok with us giving up a 1st rounder and say Christian Thomas or St. Croix to have Iginla for the stretch and playoffs? A deal like that is a complete bust if we don't win the cup.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Would you really be ok with us giving up a 1st rounder and say Christian Thomas or St. Croix to have Iginla for the stretch and playoffs? A deal like that is a complete bust if we don't win the cup.
I would be. Sometimes you take risks. You obviously only make that trade at the deadline on the premise that you're in good position for a cup run.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:55 PM
geisenNYR

Quote:

MDZ - Richards

Nash - Boyle - Kreider

Switch Boyle and Stepan. Get a little more size and a better faceoff man. Plus you still have 3 good passers. Let Stepan run the second powerplay with Nash and Kreider.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Lundsanity30

Imo the best lines we could put out there to spread out the scoring and not go overkill with Nash-Richards-Gaborik is..

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik (this line clicked all year)
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Asham-Halpern-Rupp

in a perfect world, someone else would be in the 3rd line to push Pyatt to the 4th line, but even if not. I think a line of Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan could wreck, totally wear out the other team, and provide some offense.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Oh they will definitely see some ice time and PP time together IMO.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote