HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Bobby Orr article...

Old
08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
galaxytrash

vCash: 500
Interesting Bobby Orr article...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1672/index.htm

sorry if this has been posted before, but i thought it was interesting enough to chance it.

why, oh why couldn't we have got him a few years sooner.....

galaxytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:06 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was hard to believe Orr was a Blackhawk. The excitement and hope that he could still play (a season or 2 would have been fantastic) even though the doctors had already proclaimed that his days were numbered. He could still play alright, in fact still dominate like he always had, but only in short stints until his knee swelled and the pain was too much and he was forced to rest it. When he did play it was easy to forget that he was playing in pain and it just kept getting worse, the rests between appearances longer. He didnít last very long as a Blackhawk but I am still happy that they gave him the chance to play. It was a sad ending and an even sadder day for hockey when the greatest player that ever played this game had to hang Ďem up at such a young age.

I thought at the time that Orr would struggle with life after that. He was so shy and didnít seem interested in the least in staying in the game that had been his entire life since before puberty But I was wrong. He has done very well for himself and it is always great to see him close to the game after all this time.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I remember it like it was yesterday. It was hard to believe Orr was a Blackhawk. The excitement and hope that he could still play (a season or 2 would have been fantastic) even though the doctors had already proclaimed that his days were numbered. He could still play alright, in fact still dominate like he always had, but only in short stints until his knee swelled and the pain was too much and he was forced to rest it. When he did play it was easy to forget that he was playing in pain and it just kept getting worse, the rests between appearances longer. He didnít last very long as a Blackhawk but I am still happy that they gave him the chance to play. It was a sad ending and an even sadder day for hockey when the greatest player that ever played this game had to hang Ďem up at such a young age.

I thought at the time that Orr would struggle with life after that. He was so shy and didnít seem interested in the least in staying in the game that had been his entire life since before puberty But I was wrong. He has done very well for himself and it is always great to see him close to the game after all this time.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, you look at the numbers with the Hawks and they are very good. Over PPG, must have been exciting to watch as a Hawk.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

I remember it well, too. Came on the heels of Bobby Hull leaving...

Quote:
Orr brings to the Black Hawks an offensive dimension that they have lacked since 1972, when the Chicago management refused to sign Bobby Hull for about half the $3 million it cost to obtain Orr.
Sad that Wirtz saw the light too late.

Quote:
...Still, Reay was hardly despondent.

"I'm convinced now that the personality of a team needs a player with charisma," he said, "and Orr's presence definitely has changed this team's personality.
I believe that this "charisma" is very important in professional sports for a team to succeed. IMO, our guys who fit this bill are Sharp and to a lesser extent Kane. Can't win without the guys who keep the team loose while still performing at a high level.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yeah , I hate any negativity towards Sharp, he's our heart, he's been here with everyone through it all.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote