Pay issues continue in WWE

Old
07-09-2014, 09:16 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Pay issues continue in WWE

Quote:
The Wrestling Observer is reporting there is still a lingering unhappiness in WWE when it comes to pay, as several different aspects of talent compensation have wrestlers upset.

As we exclusively reported a couple weeks ago, WWE is back to enforcing a dress code, and is fining talent who do not dress professionally in public. Additionally, talents are being fined for showing up late to events, and itís being said even a minute late could get you fined.

This past week, the second quarter royalty checks were issued, and if youíre a top star in WWE, the first quarter checks are typically around $70,000 for video games. As we noted before, top guys got around $11,700 in the first quarter of this year, and the second quarter was even worse, as a big topic of conversation in WWE was top guys getting $1,555 royalty checks.

The big thing talent is holding out for as of now is WrestleMania 30 pay, as checks are supposed to be mailed out next week. Nobody has been told anything regarding how talent will be paid, so if itís based off PPV revenue, it will be way down from last year due to the WWE Network. If pay is based on a Network percentage, it could be more.
those are incredible paycuts for "top guys"
I wonder what could happen if those WM checks are bad

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
The ship is clearly sinking, wouldn't be surprised to see everyone jump ship from TNA WWE to Jarrett's new promotion when the opportunity presents itself.

Seriously though, if you are showing up late, that is kind of an issue so fining someone sounds fair enough. That particular doesn't seem like a big deal at all imo.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:23 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
the dress code, lirl

That pay... ouch. That's a huge drop.

Fined for being late? Whatever. You can't show up late at the job you do anyways, at least you shouldn't be allowed to. If these guys can't get to the arena by 2pm on the day of the show they should be fined. It's not like it's 8am or something.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them." - PK Subban
He has physical charisma. When he talks he sounds like a gps device in a car. "In 500 feet, belie dat!" - NewAgeOutlaw
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:32 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

the fines sound like penny pinching to me.
"oh your shirt isn't tucked in, $500 fine!"
all to cover for the network costs

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
For those that aren't on salary at my work, if they're late, they aren't getting paid for that time they weren't there. Not too dissimilar to being fined really.

Showing up on time is a pretty important responsibility in their job, particularly when you're doing shows lives, and even if it isn't for a live show you can be potentially holding up a taping that could screw up all sorts of things.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:40 PM
MP92

I remember listening to a shoot interview with RVD complaining about the dress code and fines. Ya know he can't be happy . Luckily for him, he's only there temporarily and doesn't really need the gig.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:47 PM
M.C.G. 31

The dress code... blah

You look at those numbers regarding pay though and you can't help but connect it to the CM Punk walk out. The boys need bigger downsides or % of merch or a network % if their bonuses are going to get cut that much.

Old
07-09-2014, 10:13 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
That pay cut
Ouch

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:09 PM
TheBeastCoast

The ship is sinking and CM Punk is sitting on a life raft a mile out waving goodbye

TheBeastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:23 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Unless a superstar has truly better alternative, which I doubt most do, then nothing will change.

IMO, wwe has so much leverage in the market that it's probably a wise business move.

In all honestly I bet most of the talent is actually overpaid now. How many of them truly draw fans in to spend ?

I'd love to see wwe merch sales per talent made public.

The key thing I wonder is shouldn't theses bonuses be predetermined formulas per contract? Does wwe changing their revenue streams possibly give talent grounds to void the contract?

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ambrose View Post
the dress code, lirl

That pay... ouch. That's a huge drop.

Fined for being late? Whatever. You can't show up late at the job you do anyways, at least you shouldn't be allowed to. If these guys can't get to the arena by 2pm on the day of the show they should be fined. It's not like it's 8am or something.
they are travelling from city to city, there are complications some times.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:35 PM
M.C.G. 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
they are travelling from city to city, there are complications some times.
They travel at night right after the show. Even if you get lost, you'll find your way back before 2pm lol.

Now obviously if it's the winter and there's a snowstorm, that's a different story.

Old
07-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Unless a superstar has truly better alternative, which I doubt most do, then nothing will change.

IMO, wwe has so much leverage in the market that it's probably a wise business move.

In all honestly I bet most of the talent is actually overpaid now. How many of them truly draw fans in to spend ?

I'd love to see wwe merch sales per talent made public.

The key thing I wonder is shouldn't theses bonuses be predetermined formulas per contract? Does wwe changing their revenue streams possibly give talent grounds to void the contract?
Those guys are worth every cent they get, they cripple themselves for the company. I don't think the Network will be around much longer and things will go back to something somewhat similar to prior to the network, which in WWE lore will likely rank up their with the McMahon's football & bodybulding leagues & Senate campaigns as gigantic failures / cash drains. After the initial six month period is over I doubt it lasts a full year.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:57 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ambrose View Post
They travel at night right after the show. Even if you get lost, you'll find your way back before 2pm lol.

Now obviously if it's the winter and there's a snowstorm, that's a different story.
Elijiah Burke missed a show because he drove to the wrong city and it ruined his career.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
Those guys are worth every cent they get, they cripple themselves for the company. I don't think the Network will be around much longer and things will go back to something somewhat similar to prior to the network, which in WWE lore will likely rank up their with the McMahon's football & bodybulding leagues & Senate campaigns as gigantic failures / cash drains. After the initial six month period is over I doubt it lasts a full year.
Of course it will last a full year. They haven't even opened it up internationally. With the kind of investment that they're doing and the reality is that it's not doing THAT poorly...it's just not up to their expectations and the expectations they portrayed to the public. This was a huge fundamental shift for them and growing pains should have been expected. Once the contracts run out for them to open it up internationally, they'll get a boost in subscriptions to a level that is healthier for them. This isn't one of those things that they will cut bait on quickly.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:18 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Time for a WWEPA.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:23 AM
YoungSinatra
Scotchtape

YoungSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:38 AM
M.C.G. 31

Full report from the observer

Quote:
A lot of talent unhappiness over money. Thatís always a concern, but thereís a realization that nothing is going to be done or changed as the complaints are that guys in the same positions are making less money on the same houses, for reasons explained here weeks ago. The company announced a fining system in recent weeks which didnít help. They are back on the dress code kick, in the sense that if you were in public anywhere you are seen by fans, you have to dress in a professional manner. A failure to do so will result in a fine. It was also said that as far as arrival times at all arenas, if you are even one minute late arriving, a fine will be implemented. Then, this past week, the quarterly royalty checks were sent out. If you recall from the last quarter, the usual video game royalty check in the first quarter, the big one, has historically been around $70,000 if you are a star and in the game. Obviously if itís a bigger star, itís bigger, but that figure would be for people who would be considered major stars. Well, people at that level for the most part got around $11,700 for the first quarter of this year. Mick Foley went on a public rant about it. Lots of talents were privately very unhappy. One person who alerted us said that it was the nature of the sending of revenues from 2K Sports and the timing is different but some of it would be made up for during the next quarter. Well, the second quarter royalty checks came in and the number that most of the top level guys got was $1,555. I will say this much, there were guys in WWE who talked with UFC guys in Las Vegas and the subject came up. It was a pretty big deal this weekend. The WWE guys didnít feel so bad because almost none of the UFC guys get anything from the video game. I believe if you are on the cover or are used in the video game ad itself you make something, but just being in the game you donít. Don Frye refused to allow his likeness in the game the first year and I guess they felt it important enough that he got paid, but nowhere near what WWE people got. But thatís probably the reason heís not in the new game.

The big thing is that WrestleMania payoffs should be mailed out this week. Nobody has been told anything, but if the talent is getting paid only on the PPV revenue, that will be down significantly from last year and bonuses will be declining monthly from the other shows. But if they pay a percentage of the network revenue to talent, the gap may close for Mania and be the same or more for the rest of the shows.

The feeling is no talent is going to do anything, because they all recognize there is nowhere else any of them can go and make even close to what they are making. But money concerns are not only the biggest issue from a management standpoint, now itís also the most concerning issue among the wrestlers.

Old
07-10-2014, 12:51 AM
SANTArelli25
SAMCRO

vCash: 445
Sounds like they desperately need money and they'll take it from their talent if necessary.

WWE Network was a huge **** up.

SANTArelli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 06:55 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
I am not sure the Network was a big **** up. The concept is a great idea IMO.
They executed quite poorly. Why is it still not available to international fans?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Doesn't the video game bonus have a lot to do with THQ going out of business? And that, in theory, it should be back to normal with WWE 2k15?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastCoast View Post
The ship is sinking and CM Punk is sitting on a life raft a mile out waving goodbye
I got a chuckle out of this

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote