HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I think Minnesota would just dump Heatley for picks and prospects.
No they wouldn't. They just made two huge additions, they're not about to trade one of their premier players before atleast seeing how there team comes together with Suter and Parise now on the squad.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:30 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No they wouldn't. They just made two huge additions, they're not about to trade one of their premier players before atleast seeing how there team comes together with Suter and Parise now on the squad.
Well if the cap is $58m they would have too cut someone. They would have to shed ~$10m in cap space. Not sure how they would do that without moving Heatley.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well if the cap is $58m they would have too cut someone. They would have to shed ~$10m in cap space. Not sure how they would do that without moving Heatley.
Dumping Bäckström and Bouchard would do the trick I guess.

Though their goaltending would then rely on Harding and Hackett which wouldn't sound so good for them.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
You may very well laugh, but the cap will be much higher in 5 years, let alone 13 years, and if the economic crisis lasts that long, I'd be very surprised.

The Suter and Parise signings are good ones.
The economic crisis likely won't last that long, but I doubt there would be a huge change inflation wise. Just as a stab in the dark, I'd say it will be like having a 41 year old with a $6-6.5 M cap hit in todays numbers, instead of the $7.5 M number they have now. Still a lot. It's not like the cap or inflation is gonna double in a decade.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
And from reading it, unless I missed something, all it says is that Mueller was surprised that he wasn't qualified...which is easy to understand because I think even we fans here were surprised at that as well.

But I don't see where it says that we just didn't let him know. Not that it would surprise me if we didn't, for reasons that Foppa2118 just listed.
Instead, he wasn't qualified and automatically became an unrestricted free agent. It was something that came as a surprise to the young forward.

"Absolutely. I was shocked. To be honest, it left that really sour taste in your mouth. Kind of wonder why and what's going on."

Old
08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Foppa2118

You would think at some point the Avs organization would realize they don't have the draw for UFA's they used to, and that these players that have been traded or let go keep telling unfavorable stories about how cold the Avs.

I mean what's the point in being such d*cks? It's like they go out of their way sometimes to have a player leave on a bad note. How is that beneficial? You can't show a player a little respect? You don't think they tell other players unfavorable stories about your organization? Some of whom are players you will hope to sign in the future?

How could a player expect to be comfortable with their place on the team, when they see how easy it is for the Avs to just turn their backs on guys. That doesn't sound like a place a UFA would want to go to. Why would they?

Last edited by Foppa2118: 08-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old
08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I honestly don't believe that we entirely didn't tell them. It make sense for a FA to suggest they were unexplicably let go, then the organization didn't want them back.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Instead, he wasn't qualified and automatically became an unrestricted free agent. It was something that came as a surprise to the young forward.

"Absolutely. I was shocked. To be honest, it left that really sour taste in your mouth. Kind of wonder why and what's going on."
It's entirely plausible that Mueller was told that he wasn't going to be qualified, and therefore was "Shocked" that he wasnt.

Peter didn't come right out and say, "I hear nothing until the deadline passed, and found out I wasn't qualified when I read it on DenverPost.com" or make any such implications that it happened as such.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
It's entirely plausible that Mueller was told that he wasn't going to be qualified, and therefore was "Shocked" that he wasnt.

Peter didn't come right out and say, "I hear nothing until the deadline passed, and found out I wasn't qualified when I read it on DenverPost.com" or make any such implications that it happened as such.
Definitely. In fact I would say that's more likely. Still, whether it's warranted or not, it sure seems like too many guys leave this organization with a bad taste in their mouth for one reason or another.

Not everyone is gonna leave with warm fuzzy memories, and they have to do what's best for the organization, but being cold and business like in your decisions doesn't mean you have to be cold and business like in your treatment of players. Too many guys seem to walk away with that impression, whether it's warranted or not.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

To be fair to the Avs it's a bit rich saying there was a sour taste in his mouth when he got a two year contract off them not long after being injured, with no clue about when he'd be back.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
To be fair to the Avs it's a bit rich saying there was a sour taste in his mouth when he got a two year contract off them not long after being injured, with no clue about when he'd be back.
True, and the Avs did show faith in him to a certain extent. I wasn't commenting on whether players should have a sour taste, but rather that a larger number than you would hope do seem to have that reaction.

The fact is, he didn't make comments like they were good to me while I was there, and just wanted to go in a different direction. He made comments about how he was shocked, and that it left a sour taste in his mouth, and made him wonder why. This doesn't sound like they sat down with him, or had a good honest conversation on the phone. He wouldn't be saying he didn't know why, or what was going on if that were the case.

It's not an epidemic or anything, but something has always seemed to be lacking in how they part ways with players. I can't tell if it's by design, and if so what the benefit would be.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Drizzt1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
True, and the Avs did show faith in him to a certain extent. I wasn't commenting on whether players should have a sour taste, but rather that a larger number than you would hope do seem to have that reaction.

The fact is, he didn't make comments like they were good to me while I was there, and just wanted to go in a different direction. He made comments about how he was shocked, and that it left a sour taste in his mouth, and made him wonder why. This doesn't sound like they sat down with him, or had a good honest conversation on the phone. He wouldn't be saying he didn't know why, or what was going on if that were the case.

It's not an epidemic or anything, but something has always seemed to be lacking in how they part ways with players. I can't tell if it's by design, and if so what the benefit would be.
Brunette, Lappy, Anderson, Stoa, Lindstrom, Quincey are some others who have raised concern when their time was finishing with us.

Some of those players are very classy characters.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Brunette, Lappy, Anderson, Stoa, Lindstrom, Quincey are some others who have raised concern when their time was finishing with us.

Some of those players are very classy characters.
Funny thing is 3 of those guys wanted more than the Avs would give them, 2 were not good enough to be retained and 1 we actually screwed up on.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
CB Joe

It a rebuilding team. There is going to be a lot of turnover and not everyone is going to be happy about it.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:56 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
how long is it going to be before Leaf fans just start proposing Bozak for Stastny?

Old
08-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
how long is it going to be before Leaf fans just start proposing Bozak for Stastny?
How long until we finally accept the deal?

Old
08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
It a rebuilding team. There is going to be a lot of turnover and not everyone is going to be happy about it.
They've had the same approach through successful years, rebuild on the fly years, and the most recent youth rebuild.

I feel like it's a business approach PL had and instilled in his successors. The only reason I can think of is to motivate players and keep them from getting complacent. I just don't think it's worth it.

I mean how do you offer a guy like Foote a lowball deal a month before free agency and then just never talk to him again when he turns it down. This is one of your biggest leaders and a guy that helped you win two cups. You can't just get on the phone with him and explain why you can't offer him more money and wish him luck when he says he can't accept it?

If thats how they treated a guy like Foote, that's how they probably treat most all the guys they let go or trade. Most teams are up front and honest about why they're moving them. You hear coaches talk about how they want to be the guy to talk to players and tell them why they're moving them. You see GM's on behind the scenes type shows from all the sports sit down and have talks with guys about why they're parting ways.

I just watched that hard knocks show the other day and they had that conversation with like three guys they parted ways with. The Avs don't feel the need to do that. That's why guys like Mueller leave and talk about not knowing why they didn't qualify him and that it left a sour taste in his mouth.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 08-31-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old
08-31-2012, 01:44 AM
PAZ

Quote:
You would think at some point the Avs organization would realize they don't have the draw for UFA's they used to, and that these players that have been traded or let go keep telling unfavorable stories about how cold the Avs.

I mean what's the point in being such d*cks? It's like they go out of their way sometimes to have a player leave on a bad note. How is that beneficial? You can't show a player a little respect? You don't think they tell other players unfavorable stories about your organization? Some of whom are players you will hope to sign in the future?

How could a player expect to be comfortable with their place on the team, when they see how easy it is for the Avs to just turn their backs on guys. That doesn't sound like a place a UFA would want to go to. Why would they?
I'd be willing to players don't factor that much in too much when signing with a team, or else they'd ask for a NTC if they were. Philly is a prime example, trade away Richards, Carters, Van Remsdyk, and players like Simmonds, Hartnell all sign extensions.

Also, I don't think we're being dicks, when we just hear it from one perspective. When players text current Avs players (Little comes to mind), all we hear is how good the city is, the fans, etc. End result is players sign where they think it's most suitable for them (whether it be money, lifestyle, team quality, etc).

Old
08-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

When did Lindstrom or Stoa ever say anything about being let go?

Old
08-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I'd be willing to players don't factor that much in too much when signing with a team, or else they'd ask for a NTC if they were. Philly is a prime example, trade away Richards, Carters, Van Remsdyk, and players like Simmonds, Hartnell all sign extensions.

Also, I don't think we're being dicks, when we just hear it from one perspective. When players text current Avs players (Little comes to mind), all we hear is how good the city is, the fans, etc. End result is players sign where they think it's most suitable for them (whether it be money, lifestyle, team quality, etc).
I think those are the biggest factors, and for a lot of players, they're just happy to get the deal they wanted. But in the case of vets looking to sign a deal it could play a factor. How big that factor is, is anyones guess, but I guess my point was that there's really only negative implications of walking away from players in the fashion they do. I don't see any positives, and if anything it just seems like the right thing to do on a human level to be up front and honest with players, and try your best to leave on the right foot.

Mueller had struggled through a lot, and he basically just got dumped with no idea of whether he was gonna play in the NHL again. Luckily for him Tallon took a chance on him, but just on a human level, wouldn't you want to have a good phone call with the guy after all he's been through if you're Sherman or Sacco. If they did that he wouldn't be talking about the sour taste in his mouth, and that he was left wondering what was going on, and why.

Take for example the Parise Suter situation. I'm not saying this affected their situation per se, but in a situation like that where say the money, and quality of life may be close to equal from a few teams, but one has a repuation for treating their players like family, and players have nothing but nice things to say about the organization when they leave, versus a team like the Avs. It's not that they would have a strong negative reaction towards the Avs, it's more that they have a strong positive impression about the other team, and are a little hesitant over how they would be treated with the Avs.

Things like that go through players heads. If they're capable of coldly turning their back on players like Foote and Mueller, are they gonna do the same thing to me if something doesn't go well? They're gonna be a lot more confident the other team will stick with them, and feel like more a part of a family, than they will with the Avs where they may just feel like an asset they have no problem turning their back on. It's not gonna be the biggest factor at all, but it's possible it could sway someone away from the Avs under equal circumstances with another team. And for what? Because of little things like not explaining to Mueller why you're letting him go, and trying to make sure he doesn't leave with a sour taste in his mouth, which you should be doing anyway, even without the business implications.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 08-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 08:09 AM
CB Joe

Players the Avs front office may have interest in?

Who are some players the Avs front office have shown interest in?

After the Avs acquired EJ, O'Byrne, and McGinn it was said that the Avs have been interested in these guys for a significant amount of time. I'm just wondering who else is out there that might be on their list.

I'm thinking Nick Foligno may be on the list. I remember the rumors of the Avs scouting the Sens pretty intensely at the trade deadline. I think they were trying to build a deal around Foligno for Quincey, but the Avs went with Quincey for Downie instead, and the Sens went with Foligno for Methot.

Also, there were some rumors about the Avs being one of the teams interested in JVR.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:13 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Who are some players the Avs front office have shown interest in?

After the Avs acquired EJ, O'Byrne, and McGinn it was said that the Avs have been interested in these guys for a significant amount of time. I'm just wondering who else is out there that might be on their list.

I'm thinking Nick Foligno may be on the list. I remember the rumors of the Avs scouting the Sens pretty intensely at the trade deadline. I think they were trying to build a deal around Foligno for Quincey, but the Avs went with Quincey for Downie instead, and the Sens went with Foligno for Methot.

Also, there were some rumors about the Avs being one of the teams interested in JVR.
Bryan Little was someone TPS confirmed that the Avs had interest. He stated that Little and his agent have known the Avs have had interest for a while now, and even thought a deal was close, because Little asked Galiardi how the city was and everything.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Bryan Little was someone TPS confirmed that the Avs had interest. He stated that Little and his agent have known the Avs have had interest for a while now, and even thought a deal was close, because Little asked Galiardi how the city was and everything.
How does that end up happening, especially with the tight lipped Avalanche? I don't think Little has a no trade does he? Not like the Jets would have told him.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
How does that end up happening, especially with the tight lipped Avalanche? I don't think Little has a no trade does he? Not like the Jets would have told him.
It was during this last year's trade deadline, TPS is acquaintences with Galiardi, and had said that after the trade deadline that Bryan Little had asked TJ about the Avs organization, and that TJ had nothing but good things to say about the city, fans, etc. despite his current standing with the team, he had good things to say apparently, about the team.

And TPS has gone on to say that it's become apparent that Little and his agent have known that the Avalanche have had interest for a while now, and we know that it fits Sherman's MO, acquring players from the 2006 Draft!

Old
09-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
It was during this last year's trade deadline, TPS is acquaintences with Galiardi, and had said that after the trade deadline that Bryan Little had asked TJ about the Avs organization, and that TJ had nothing but good things to say about the city, fans, etc. despite his current standing with the team, he had good things to say apparently, about the team.

And TPS has gone on to say that it's become apparent that Little and his agent have known that the Avalanche have had interest for a while now, and we know that it fits Sherman's MO, acquring players from the 2006 Draft!
I know, and I remember TPS's comment.

I meant how does that end up happening that Little found out about the Avs interest?

Closed Thread