HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2012, 03:21 AM
  #451
Drizzt1
Registered User
 
Drizzt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Do you seriously scan all threads looking for people that might mention someone from the Islanders???
I think you'll find CREW99AW is closer to the mark with his description than your statement.

The guy is minus 39 over 6-7 year career (which is minus 7 per on average) playing against top defenses.

Johnson is minus 26 in 4 years.

Then again, if I'm honest, I'd go with Johnson out of the two if I were picking.


Last edited by Frenchy: 09-15-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: read your PM
Drizzt1 is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 08:39 AM
  #452
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
How exactly do those stats or your anecdotal evidence demonstrate that Streit is defensively strong?
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you since I don't watch the Isles but that's not much of a case

The poster claims that Streit is awful in his own end, while ignoring that plenty of players have trouble shaking off the rust after missing a full yr.

My argument is that Streit was very good at both ends of the ice pre-surgery and both the Isles and Oilers, seem to expect him to return to pre-injury form next season based on Edmnton's recent attempt to trade for him and the isles refusal to move him.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 08:46 AM
  #453
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Do you seriously scan all threads looking for people that might mention someone from the Islanders???
No, I seriously scan threads looking for discussions that interest me. I've come across plenty of NYI posts, either shaking my head at the poster's inaccuracy or laughed at trade proposal without commenting.

Comments like this: Streit is brutal in his own end, deserve comment.
Why not point out how solid in both end of the ice Streit was pre-surgery?
Why not point out that last season, was his first season after missing a full yr?
Why not also point out how much Streit's play improved after the trade deadline?
Why not also point out, how the isles brushed aside Edmonton attempt to trade for Streit this summer?

Or would you rather get half a picture?

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 08:55 AM
  #454
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,549
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Sooo should we be hearing about RoRs new contract soon? My understanding is all new deals have to be made today
I'm hoping...

but hope withers

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
  #455
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,878
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I'm hoping...

but hope withers
Apparently all contracts had to be into the league office by 5pm EST yesterday...but it's strange to wake up and read tweets about Lucic's extension this morning

RockLobster is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 09:29 AM
  #456
Ceremony
Moderator
Transcendence
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 72,385
vCash: 499
Vote Johnson

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  #457
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,417
vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The poster claims that Streit is awful in his own end, while ignoring that plenty of players have trouble shaking off the rust after missing a full yr.

My argument is that Streit was very good at both ends of the ice pre-surgery and both the Isles and Oilers, seem to expect him to return to pre-injury form next season based on Edmnton's recent attempt to trade for him and the isles refusal to move him.
You seem to be making an assumption that Bender is basing his comment solely on last season. People sometimes have different perspectives on players; deal with it.

If you want to pursue the discussion and prove that Streit is good in his own end then you might want to do it with something other than points, +/-, or the fact that Edmonton tried to acquire him since none of them prove much, if anything, out of context.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 10:31 AM
  #458
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,137
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Or would you rather get half a picture?
Because we're not Islanders fans and the only reason they were brought up was because one of the people in this thread were making an argument for your rebuild against our rebuild?

And frankly, EJ is 2x the defender in his own zone Streit is. It shouldn't have even of been an argument.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
  #459
Cypher
#GenieArmy
 
Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 140
Bob McKenzie

Quote:
I'm told there's no chance Subban signs in MTL today, same with Del. Zotto in NYC and quite likely same for Kane (WPG) and O'Reilly (COL).

Cypher is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 01:20 PM
  #460
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,704
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No, I seriously scan threads looking for discussions that interest me. I've come across plenty of NYI posts, either shaking my head at the poster's inaccuracy or laughed at trade proposal without commenting.

Comments like this: Streit is brutal in his own end, deserve comment.
Why not point out how solid in both end of the ice Streit was pre-surgery?
Why not point out that last season, was his first season after missing a full yr?
Why not also point out how much Streit's play improved after the trade deadline?
Why not also point out, how the isles brushed aside Edmonton attempt to trade for Streit this summer?

Or would you rather get half a picture?
That sure is a lot of energy wasted. In almost 10 years since I've been on this board, I'm not sure if I've ever gone on another team's board to defend a player. I could care less if another fanbase is talking amongst themselves about a player.

Foppa2118 is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
  #461
falconski
Unregistered User
 
falconski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,068
vCash: 500
Per Dater, avs and o'reilly waiting for next CBA to negotiate

falconski is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
  #462
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,948
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No, I seriously scan threads looking for discussions that interest me. I've come across plenty of NYI posts, either shaking my head at the poster's inaccuracy or laughed at trade proposal without commenting.

Comments like this: Streit is brutal in his own end, deserve comment.
Why not point out how solid in both end of the ice Streit was pre-surgery?
Why not point out that last season, was his first season after missing a full yr?
Why not also point out how much Streit's play improved after the trade deadline?
Why not also point out, how the isles brushed aside Edmonton attempt to trade for Streit this summer?

Or would you rather get half a picture?
I was just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
You seem to be making an assumption that Bender is basing his comment solely on last season. People sometimes have different perspectives on players; deal with it.

If you want to pursue the discussion and prove that Streit is good in his own end then you might want to do it with something other than points, +/-, or the fact that Edmonton tried to acquire him since none of them prove much, if anything, out of context.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I saw more of Streit when he was with the Habs (local) than I have with the Isles, maybe he's cleaned up his defensive game...I don't watch the Isles enough to say for sure, but the times I've seen him, he's been great on the PP and poor defensively. That's my assessment for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
So for those of you discussing prospect lists previously, how do you get access to see them live to make informed decisions?

I've never really been able to nail down a solid schedule around prospects to view them on tv, they're not on the channels I have usually.
Well, there is a lot of junior hockey on TV, in Canada anyways.

Sportsnet usually shows 2 games per week from all three of the Major Junior Leagues in Canada on Fridays and Sundays.

Then there are the tournaments, World Juniors (these prospects are usually drafted though) the under 18s (April), the under 17s (around x-mas), the top-prospect game and some college games on NBCSN.

By the time the under 18 tournament rolls around, you've probably gotten a good look at most of the top 30-50 rated prospects for the upcoming draft. There are always the USHL guys who are hard to get a look at but the top ones have almost always gotten themselves on their country's teams at some point anyhow.

While you obviously only get a small 'window' into how a player is performing during a given period during the season, you can still get a good feel for how they understand the game, which in my opinion is extremely important.

It's certainly not an exact science and I certainly don't get to see all of the top 200-300 guys like I'd like but I'm only doing this part-time as a hobby anyways.

I'm just happy I've been right more than I've been wrong so far.

I hope that answers your question.

Bender is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 01:40 PM
  #463
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,948
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
Per Dater, avs and o'reilly waiting for next CBA to negotiate
So I look forward to seeing how much O'Reilly signs for TODAY then.

Bender is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  #464
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,498
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
Per Dater, avs and o'reilly waiting for next CBA to negotiate
I'm glad Pierre LaCroix is no longer the GM because he would have traded his ass by now. If this was Duchene, some of the posters here would be calling for his head and would want him traded as well.

Avs can be a weird organization when it comes to negotiations so I hope they get a deal done quickly after the lockout ends and don't have any hard feelings towards the O'Reilly camp afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
So I look forward to seeing how much O'Reilly signs for TODAY then.
Dater isn't Eklund. He gets a lot of criticism from posters on this site but he's not that bad.


Oilers sent Eberle, RNH, Schultz, and Paajarvi down to the AHL. I wonder if we'll hear anything from the Avs regarding Landeskog.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
  #465
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I'm glad Pierre LaCroix is no longer the GM because he would have traded his ass by now. If this was Duchene, some of the posters here would be calling for his head and would want him traded as well.

Avs can be a weird organization when it comes to negotiations so I hope they get a deal done quickly after the lockout ends and don't have any hard feelings towards the O'Reilly camp afterwards.



Dater isn't Eklund. He gets a lot of criticism from posters on this site but he's not that bad.


Oilers sent Eberle, RNH, Schultz, and Paajarvi down to the AHL. I wonder if we'll hear anything from the Avs regarding Landeskog.
To be honest P.L. didn't trade holdouts until they missed camp...and he usually signed them first and then traded them. ROR hasn't missed camp yet as it will be cancelled in less than a dozen hours.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 05:41 PM
  #466
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,498
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
To be honest P.L. didn't trade holdouts until they missed camp...and he usually signed them first and then traded them. ROR hasn't missed camp yet as it will be cancelled in less than a dozen hours.
Good point. For some reason I thought Drury got traded before camp started. It has been too long.

I still worry about the negotiations though. I would hate to see the organization sour on O'Reilly because of this.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 06:08 PM
  #467
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Good point. For some reason I thought Drury got traded before camp started. It has been too long.

I still worry about the negotiations though. I would hate to see the organization sour on O'Reilly because of this.
I'm not worried.
1. PL is in still in the organization but I do believe he's loosened the reins on his GM.
2. Joe Sakic is in the organization and I believe he understands hockey.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Joe Sakic talks about our organizational strengths and weaknesses. I think he's now a key cog in the wheel without the title but one that everyone listens too. Does he believe we need to go another full year before declaring one of our centers available. Does he already know who he wants as a one-two center punch? Does he believe we should keep all three and continue with the potential of having three scoring lines? Would be fantastic to peek inside his mind for a day.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 06:46 PM
  #468
NHL33*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Oh man, a Mark Streit debate. I can't wait until the dregs of the lockout bring out Michael Grabner and co. out of hibernation.

NHL33* is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 07:32 PM
  #469
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 50
Perhaps Avs and O'Reilly have a short term plan B in place they can use to get him ready for season, if they can't agree on a longer contract once the CBA is in place. There won't be time for drawn out negotiations.

Freudian is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
  #470
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,704
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Perhaps Avs and O'Reilly have a short term plan B in place they can use to get him ready for season, if they can't agree on a longer contract once the CBA is in place. There won't be time for drawn out negotiations.
That's what I thought too, but it's too late now. Winnepog locked up Kane though long term. $31.5M for 6 years ($5.25M per).

Another stinger for Duchene. Just on a numbers basis, his 150 points in 219 games compare favorably to Kane's 126 in 213 games.

Foppa2118 is online now  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:29 PM
  #471
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,878
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
That's what I thought too, but it's too late now. Winnepog locked up Kane though long term. $31.5M for 6 years ($5.25M per).

Another stinger for Duchene. Just on a numbers basis, his 150 points in 219 games compare favorably to Kane's 126 in 213 games.
Sherman thus far hasn't handed out those types of longer term contrats to players coming off of their ELC's. Perhaps the Avalanche as an organization doesn't believe that players should get that right off the bat.

Stastny's contract extension coming off of his ELC was while FG was still running the show.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 02:15 PM
  #472
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
That's what I thought too, but it's too late now. Winnepog locked up Kane though long term. $31.5M for 6 years ($5.25M per).

Another stinger for Duchene. Just on a numbers basis, his 150 points in 219 games compare favorably to Kane's 126 in 213 games.
I think duchene wanted the contract he got. Hes a humble guy and wants to redeem himself.

TheFactor is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
  #473
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
These Stastny trade proposals have gotten to another level now. Really pissing me off

TheFactor is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
  #474
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,704
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Sherman thus far hasn't handed out those types of longer term contrats to players coming off of their ELC's. Perhaps the Avalanche as an organization doesn't believe that players should get that right off the bat.

Stastny's contract extension coming off of his ELC was while FG was still running the show.
Unfortunately for Duchene, it seems like the Avalanche is the only organization left in the league that still believes in the 2nd contract. We'll see if the new CBA changes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
I think duchene wanted the contract he got. Hes a humble guy and wants to redeem himself.
I wouldn't go that far. More like he didn't fight them too much on the contract they wanted to give him.

Foppa2118 is online now  
Old
09-16-2012, 02:48 PM
  #475
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,137
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
These Stastny trade proposals have gotten to another level now. Really pissing me off
At least it's a new team to discuss with.

Although the folks that think Leddy is close value to Stastny need to give their head a shake. He's young and still promising, but his defensive game is an eye sore and we've already got Elliott who should be as good.

The only player I'd want from Chicago is Keith. Interestingly, this point in time is probably the closest to available he will ever be.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.