HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Drizzt1

vCash: 500
So people wouldn't trade Alexander Ovechkin, for Gabriel Landeskog? Ovechkin can dominate a game. He's 27, and has 679 points, in 553 games.

That's Joe Sakic territory.

Ok, Caps media, fans and team were down on him last season for only scoring 38 goals. BUT, wasn't Backstrom sitting out for 1/2 the season?

Also, based on looks, I'm no expert on dudes, but yeah, Lando probably has Ovechkin covered, but then again, that's not saying much - Ovi has a head like a robbers dog

Old
11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
So people wouldn't trade Alexander Ovechkin, for Gabriel Landeskog? Ovechkin can dominate a game. He's 27, and has 679 points, in 553 games.

Ok, Caps media, fans and team were down on him last season for only scoring 38 goals. BUT, wasn't Backstrom sitting out for 1/2 the season?

Also, based on looks, I'm no expert on dudes, but yeah, Lando probably has Ovechkin covered, but then again, that's not saying much - Ovi has a head like a robbers dog
I wouldn't do it either.

It's not because Ovechkin isn't an all-star player, which he is, there is no doubt. It's because with Ovechkin, it ALWAYS seems like it has to be about HIM. A player like that, with that kind of world-class talent, getting benched at times by his last 2 coaches? What the hell is that about? Everyone thought the issue was Bruce Boudreau, so the Caps get rid of him and bring in Hunter and the difference in play with Ovechkin is negligible?? WTF?

THAT is the reason why I wouldn't do it.

Sure Ovechkin will probably outscore Landeskog well into his late thirties but Landeskog will INSPIRE his teammates with his play and is a consummate team player. I said it before his draft year and I'll say it again, Landeskog is the kind of player that you win championships with.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Joakim LindstrŲm is second in SEL scoring with 30 points in 22 games. SEL has gotten worse and worse and the numbers players can put up there means very little. It's closer to AHL than NHL these days.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Ceremony
I wanted to accept

vCash: 20250
I don't normally do this, but the Avs trade in this thread deserves torn to bits: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=55920403

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Ceremony
I wanted to accept

vCash: 20250
Quote:

I'm alright with the guy who is 19 and was our best player for stretches in his first season.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I don't normally do this, but the Avs trade in this thread deserves torn to bits: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=55920403
That trade suggestion is a disgrace.

Secondly though, they do make a good point. Johnson has under achieved and disappointed most of his career to date, but he's young, and can improve - and needs to.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:

Take in account his ego problems, huge contract, play level etc.. Ovechkin is declining already and with all his problems, I would stay away.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:02 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
My favourite poster has entered that thread.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Nihiliste

EJ probably stole Eskimos gf or something

Old
11-21-2012, 01:16 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
EJ probably stole Eskimos gf or something
did Eskimo and Flithynote share a gf?

Old
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
My favourite poster has entered that thread.
Thanks man. yo:

Old
11-21-2012, 03:02 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Thanks man. yo:

I was talking about myself.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I was talking about myself.

Geez, what an ego.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Lonewolfe2015

People are just jealous we managed to trade for a #1 defender and starting goaltender without losing any crippling assets. On top of that we have probably a top 5, 3-deep center trio in the league.

They'll take whatever chances they can to bash our team while they continue to develop, but once we start winning it will be no surprise to some of these geniuses that such a young roster finally got its act together and played to their potential.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
People are just jealous we managed to trade for a #1 defender and starting goaltender without losing any crippling assets. On top of that we have probably a top 5, 3-deep center trio in the league.

They'll take whatever chances they can to bash our team while they continue to develop, but once we start winning it will be no surprise to some of these geniuses that such a young roster finally got its act together and played to their potential.
Re our center depth: At present, our high, or upper end is far from anywhere NEAR the top of the league production wise. That being said, our bottom third centermen (don't even know who out of Stazz, Duchy or O'Reilly that is tbh) is quite a bit better than a fair amount of the opposition.

Does that make our top three centermen as a core top five in the league? At present, no. Not by a mile. Potentially though, yes.

In order for our centermen to play to their potential, they need to be surrounded by an additional one to two blue chip, marquee wingers.

I really wish had kept all of Fleishmann, Mueller and Liles, who we all pretty well let go (after giving stuff up to acquire the first two) for nothing.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:
Re our center depth: At present, our high, or upper end is far from anywhere NEAR the top of the league production wise. That being said, our bottom third centermen (don't even know who out of Stazz, Duchy or O'Reilly that is tbh) is quite a bit better than a fair amount of the opposition.

Does that make our top three centermen as a core top five in the league? At present, no. Not by a mile. Potentially though, yes.

In order for our centermen to play to their potential, they need to be surrounded by an additional one to two blue chip, marquee wingers.

I really wish had kept all of Fleishmann, Mueller and Liles, who we all pretty well let go (after giving stuff up to acquire the first two) for nothing.
Who is better than us? There might be a few teams but we are top 5.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Who is better than us? There might be a few teams but we are top 5.
But what are we going off? Production? Two way play? Last years stats? Career stats? Where their respective teams finish? Puck control? Balance? Injury prone or not? Ability to dominate the opposition? Diversity (wingers playing center and vice versa)?

What are you basing your theory on? Then we can have a decent debate about it. Look at:

Seguin, Bergeron and Krejci. Are those guys better than out three? What about the unknown group of Staal, Staal and Ruutu, now that they have Semin and others?

Top FIVE? Big call. And I purposely missed the heavy weight teams like Philly, NYR, Detroit (to a lesser degree, as they lost a top three guy), Penguins and co. in that.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:
But what are we going off? Production? Two way play? Last years stats? Career stats? Where their respective teams finish? Puck control? Balance? Injury prone or not? Ability to dominate the opposition? Diversity (wingers playing center and vice versa)?

What are you basing your theory on? Then we can have a decent debate about it. Look at:

Seguin, Bergeron and Krejci. Are those guys better than out three? What about the unknown group of Staal, Staal and Ruutu, now that they have Semin and others?

Top FIVE? Big call. And I purposely missed the heavy weight teams like Philly, NYR, Detroit (to a lesser degree, as they lost a top three guy), Penguins and co. in that.
It should be Bergeron, Krejci and Kelly because Seguin plays wing, and yes we are better than that group. We could be better than the 'Canes 3 because Ruutu is easily the worst player but E.Staal is also easily the best player out of the 6 centers. The only team in my opinion that have a better group of top 3 centers is Pittsburgh. If the Hurricanes run with Staal, Staal and Ruutu and don't put either Ruutu or E.Staal on the wing then they could be better than us as well.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Lonewolfe2015

No criteria, just on the whole center-depth.

I gave it a decent thought, but not enough to be 100% sure. Pitts and LAK are the only teams that I see as clearly above us center-wise. SJS, Carolina, Boston, Van, Det being debatable based on how they use their players. But with the rumor being E. Staal centered by J. Staal, Pavelski centered by JT or Couture, Seguin at wing, Zetterberg at wing occasionally and Vancouver having lost Hodgson, I really don't see us any worse off than #4-5 in the league at any given time center-wise.

Overall, not in one particular parameter.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:37 PM
NHL33*

Given Duchene and Stastny's inconsistencies, and O'Reilly's unproven offensive nature, I don't see how anyone can definitely say the team is top 5 in the league in terms of centers.

I don't think O'Reilly is a fluke, I do think Stastny has finally overcome the horrendous 2011 hump, and Duchene probably can't repeat as bad of a season as the last one, but objectively there should be some healthy skepticism because the team deserves it.

I would take Boston, Vancouver, San Jose, Pittsburgh, LA, Philly, etc., instead quite easily and I'm not sure if I'd necessarily slot Colorado in the top 10. It'll be a better debate once we see how the players respond next season, whenever that is.

Duchene's development worries me but both him and O'Reilly are still fairly young so there's potential. Drizzt nailed it.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Given Duchene and Stastny's inconsistencies, and O'Reilly's unproven offensive nature, I don't see how anyone can definitely say the team is top 5 in the league in terms of centers.

I don't think O'Reilly is a fluke, I do think Stastny has finally overcome the horrendous 2011 hump, and Duchene probably can't repeat as bad of a season as the last one, but objectively there should be some healthy skepticism because the team deserves it.

I would take Boston, Vancouver, San Jose, Pittsburgh, LA, Philly, etc., instead quite easily and I'm not sure if I'd necessarily slot Colorado in the top 10. It'll be a better debate once we see how the players respond next season, whenever that is.

Duchene's development worries me but both him and O'Reilly are still fairly young so there's potential. Drizzt nailed it.
Yeah, I have to agree they're probably not top 5 at this point, although they have the potential there. I would feel comfortable slotting them in the top 10 right now though.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Its ridiculous how overrated Wings prospects get to be just because of a few late round steals drafted many years ago by the Wings...

The only reason anyone with half a brain would consider Nyquist way ahead of Sgarbossa right now is because of this Wings draft phenomenon...

Even Barrie and Smith are very close to one another.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Lonewolfe2015

So, with this looming full season lockout upon us, what are the odds we see O'Byrne leave the team over the summer?

Old
11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Avs71

Quote:
So, with this looming full season lockout upon us, what are the odds we see O'Byrne leave the team over the summer?
Pretty good. I would base this on three reasons:

1) O'Byrne is a classic player that the Avs probably feel they could replace with someone cheaper.
2) This could be the summer money is spent on finding another top pairing guy.
3) A spot for Barrie or Elliott.

Sadly the Avs will still have Hunwick, Wilson, O'Brien, Zanon, and Hejda all under contract. Then there is EJ, Barrie, Elliott, and an outside chance of Siemens?

Was nice having him, but he is as good as gone.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Zandar

Quote:
most players have left the team over money and/or ice time. O'Byrne has been a team guy since day one and would still figure into a decent amount of ice time if he stays so there is no concern over ice time. He also isn't a big name D or would have this season to "play above his ability" to garner a huge raise so money shouldn't be an issue...especially with the cap falling and less being available per player.

Closed Thread