Loui Eriksson
Vern Fiddler
Michael Ryder

NHL.com's 30 Teams, 30 Days
Overview of Off-season Moves
Jagr's Impact on the Roster
6 Questions for the Dallas Stars
Potential Lines

Heika's Stars blog is going to cover the 30 top current Dallas Stars, and I figured it might be fun to follow along and give us something else to discuss.

Heika wasn't really clear on if Trevor Daley is the #1 player in his opinion or if Daley is just the guy he is starting with.

Quote:
Listed at 5-11, 198, [Daley] is a very solid all-around defenseman. He is a great skater, he can make a smart outlet pass, and he can defend well with his stick and his positioning.

He’s not going to muscle the bigger players out in front of the net, and he’s certainly not going to be an intimidating force, but he doesn’t get pushed around either.
One of the key discussions in the article is Daley's expanding role. He's more involved in the community, his leadership role is getting bigger, with Souray moving on his role on the PK could expand, and there's a legitimate possibility he could be Dallas' top D next season.

Heika raises some interesting questions at least in the article.

Is Daley Dallas' #1 D if no changes are made to the roster? It's clear Robidas has held that distinction by default for a while, but at 35 he might take a backseat this season.

Heika had to go with the annual question of will Daley finally breakout offensively this year? With a historically bad PP, you'd think every spot is up for grabs. At RD on the #1 unit you could have Larsen, Daley, or Robidas. Daley getting Top PP time could help him finally break the 30 point plateau, but I don't expect a major jump in production.

Who will Daley play with? Heika goes with Goligoski or Dillon, and I still get the feeling he'll ultimately work with Dillon. That said, since 2 smaller D have to player with each other next year, I would prefer a Goligoski-Daley combo over any other small D combo they could come up with.

Last edited by BigG44: 08-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Daley ought to be playing 18 minutes a game at ES. That and the PK are where his responsibility should increase. Trying to make him into a PP catalyst is jamming a square peg in a round hole. The only answer there is Larsen.

I don't really understand this top 30 thing either.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:26 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Daley ought to be playing 18 minutes a game at ES. That and the PK are where his responsibility should increase. Trying to make him into a PP catalyst is jamming a square peg in a round hole. The only answer there is Larsen.

I don't really understand this top 30 thing either.
Agree on both accounts. I think Larsen is our best shot of any D in the system at becoming a #1, and we need to give him the ice time and line mates to do so. Daley's awesome and all, and he is definitely a leader on this team, but am I wrong in thinking that when he's Robidas' age (if he's even with the team), we'll be saying the same things about him as we are about Robi? I get that they play different styles, but still. Iono.

He has shown some decent offensive talent though. Wouldn't mind some minor time paired with Larsen on the top PP, and he could probably look good on the 2nd unit.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:34 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
30 is a strange number... that's more than an nhl roster.

agreed about daley and pp duties. the offensive game he has isn't tailored for quarterbacking a pp. he's better off the rush. he doesn't have a big slap shot. nor a wrister that gets through traffic and hits the net. and his creativity/vision/passing isn't exceptional either.

he's had his chance to develop those parts of the game, and he hasn't done it. i like his role as it stands right now. he's a lock for 25+/-3 points. that's fine with me.

ginblossoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:17 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Heika covered Loui Eriksson today.

He calls him Dallas top player, but mainly by default.

Quote:
Now, Kari Lehtonen’s impact on the club clearly is more significant because of his position. And as Lehtonen pushes to become one of the top 10 goalies in the league, his importance also rises. Jamie Benn is the player who most people target when asking about the team’s best player, but he still is developing, and he still has yet to put up the bigger numbers that everyone is expecting.

So that leaves Eriksson.
An impressive streak:

Quote:
Yes, Eriksson still is underrated, but his run of three straight seasons of 70 or more points puts him in pretty elite company. He’s one of just seven players in the NHL to pull off that trick (Steven Stamkos, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis, Anze Kopitar and Henrik Sedin are the others). And not since Mike Modano’s run of five straight 70-point seasons ended in 2004 has anyone done that for the Stars.
A key point of this article was Eriksson's versatility. He plays LW and RW, he's equally competent in both offensive and defensive situations, and he is a catalyst for any line he's placed on (unlike previous theories about Richards or Neal elevating Eriksson's game).

One final point about GMJN's proposed line of Eriksson-Benn-Jagr, Heika thinks part of the reason the team feels Eriksson will mesh well with Jagr is his understanding of both the European and North American style of hockey.

There's not much to add here. I think Heika did a solid rundown of Eriksson and his impact next season. I think he's probably wrong though that Eriksson is going to be a guy that Benn or some high profile FA signing in the future will have an easy time in passing in terms of value.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:25 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Heika covered Loui Eriksson today.

He calls him Dallas top player, but mainly by default.

An impressive streak:

A key point of this article was Eriksson's versatility. He plays LW and RW, he's equally competent in both offensive and defensive situations, and he is a catalyst for any line he's placed on (unlike previous theories about Richards or Neal elevating Eriksson's game).

One final point about GMJN's proposed line of Eriksson-Benn-Jagr, Heika thinks part of the reason the team feels Eriksson will mesh well with Jagr is his understanding of both the European and North American style of hockey.

There's not much to add here. I think Heika did a solid rundown of Eriksson and his impact next season. I think he's probably wrong though that Eriksson is going to be a guy that Benn or some high profile FA signing in the future will have an easy time in passing in terms of value.
Still find it hard to believe some people don't consider him a top 10 winger.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
BigG44

NHL.com's 30 Teams, 30 Days: Dallas Stars

Embedded in all of the Dallas Stars 30 Teams, 30 Days articles is a video of E.J. Hradek's opinion of the Stars.

His biggest questions mark for the Stars is Jagr and Whitney being productive, Top 6 players at 40 years old. He calls the team a bubble team again to make the playoffs, but he ultimately thinks they get over the hump because new owner Tom Gaglardi will be willing to spend if the team has a need.

The first article from NHL.com is just a rundown of Dallas' moves this summer. The most interesting piece from that article is some new quotes from Tom Gaglardi.:

Quote:
"We've been able to remake our team a bit and we like it," Stars owner Tom Gagliardi said. "It fits very well with our long-term direction. We had to give up a couple of assets to get there, but we like who we've brought in and the deals we made. We feel fortunate we got done what we wanted to get done in pretty short order. We're a better hockey team today."
Quote:
"You look at Jagr and the kind of success he has had working with younger players, which is what we are," Gagliardi said. "You look at the season that Claude Giroux had and I think Jagr deserves some credit for Giroux's year and the way he improved as a player. I am excited about the kind of effect Jagr can have on our young players, the Jamie Benns, the Loui Erikssons, the Matt Frasers and all the way down the line. He's a lead-by-example guy, extremely hard-working. What he can do on the ice and in the locker room is something we'll be able to measure for a number of years."
Matt Fraser receives another mention. I'm not sure exactly where he fits, but this guy clearly is in the running for a Top 12 roster spot. This is probably a better question for Cin, but did Fraser play any RW in Austin? I don't know that I've ever seen Morrow play RW once. In my perfect world, I'd love to see Morrow pushed down to the Fiddler line so Dallas could go with Fraser-Eakin-Vincour.

The next article focuses on Jagr's potential impact on the roster. I don't think there's anything new, but I just love re-reading the Jagr quotes:

Quote:
"I started the season at 240 and I felt pretty good," he said. "Then I dropped to 228 and I didn't feel that good. I thought my shot wasn't the same way. … That's the experience I learned last year, if I lost the weight I would be quicker. But I wasn't necessarily quicker and I didn't feel that comfortable with my shot in the second half of the season because I lost some pounds."
Quote:
"The most important thing for the young guys is to learn to listen," Jagr said. "There's no secret to success. It's hard work. Talent is good, but without the work, you don't have a chance. You have to work harder than the other guys. You have to be willing to give up a lot. If it were easy, everybody would do it. It's not easy; only one guy can be the best. That's why you have to work the most."

Jagr can point to his resume for proof of hard work equaling success. He doesn't have to be the dominant force he was in the 1990s now, but the hope is he can help the next generation of Dallas players the way he helped the next generation in Philadelphia.

"Ten or 12 years ago, I felt I was the best player in the world," he said. "I knew how to get there. I just don't have the tools right now to do it. That way I can help the young guys."
6 Questions for the Dallas Stars
  1. What did coach Glen Gulutzan learn?
  2. Can Kari Lehtonen stay healthy?
  3. Are the Stars tough enough?
  4. Will the older players hold up for 82 games and the playoffs?
  5. Will the power play be better?
  6. Who plays defense?

Here is the response to "Who plays defense?".

Quote:
Alex Goligoski and Stephane Robidas likely will make up the top pairing, but beyond that, nothing is set in stone. Veterans Fistric, Rome and Trevor Daley will compete for spots with youngsters Brenden Dillon, Jamie Oleksiak and Patrik Nemeth.

Dillon, an undrafted free agent who had 29 points in 76 American Hockey League games last season, could be a player to keep an eye on.

"He had a real good first year last year in Texas," Stars director of player personnel Les Jackson told NHL.com. "I believe he's going to be around the big team this year. He's really taken a huge step forward. He's going to have a real good chance of making the big club this year."
NHL.com takes a stab at the roster:

Quote:
Forwards

Loui Eriksson - Jamie Benn - Jaromir Jagr

Ray Whitney - Derek Roy - Michael Ryder

Brenden Morrow - Vernon Fiddler - Cody Eakin

Eric Nystrom - Tom Wandell - Tomas Vincour

Toby Peterson

Defensemen

Alex Goligoski - Philip Larsen

Trevor Daley - Stephane Robidas

Aaron Rome - Mark Fistric

Jordie Benn

Goaltenders

Kari Lehtonen

Richard Bachman
Cody Eakin did primarily play wing in his rookie year with Washington, and it's not uncommon to start a young center off at wing to ease the transition to the NHL. I think Eakin ultimately plays center to start the year, but it's not a terrible idea should Wandell force the Stars hands to give him a regular spot at center.

Quote:
The Stars basically have seven top-six forwards, and if everyone is healthy it looks like the captain is the odd guy out. Should Ryder not be able to replicate his success from last season, Morrow would be an easy replacement. Eakin came aboard in a deal for Mike Ribeiro, and could be ready for regular NHL duty, but he'll face some competition for that spot in training camp. Matt Fraser was unheralded before last season, but 37 goals in the American Hockey League will make people take notice. More heralded Radek Faksa and Scott Glennie could also be in the mix with a strong camp.

That "one player short" idea with the defense corps could be outdated if one of the team's kids wins a spot in the top six. Jamie Oleksiak, Brendan Dillon and Patrik Nemeth could help the Stars at some point in the near future.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:05 PM
BigG44

NBC Sports

Fairly basic rundown of the off-season.

Not much of a look at Jamie Benn.

Again ... minor look at the Dallas D.

Have to admit that I wasn't impressed with any of those articles. If you're looking for Cliff Notes of the Cliff Notes on the Dallas Stars, you found them.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:12 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Great compilation, thanks for this Big.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:32 PM
BigG44

Heika on Vern Fiddler

Heika acknowledges on paper that Fiddler looks like he'll have a diminished role in 2012-13 playing 4th line minutes at ES. Unfortunately, Heika makes a solid point that he's the type of player a coach tends to lean on which could earn him an even bigger role.

I don't like that idea at all. He wasn't terrible by an stretch of the imagination, but he did nothing to prove last year that he was a good option to face the opposition's best players. I'd much rather see Dallas roll the dice with a younger, potentially offensive minded third line than what we saw last year.

I think Heika's potential line combo of Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt is solid, but I do hope they still get Sceviour and Wandell in the mix.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Heika on Vern Fiddler

Heika acknowledges on paper that Fiddler looks like he'll have a diminished role in 2012-13 playing 4th line minutes at ES. Unfortunately, Heika makes a solid point that he's the type of player a coach tends to lean on which could earn him an even bigger role.

I don't like that idea at all. He wasn't terrible by an stretch of the imagination, but he did nothing to prove last year that he was a good option to face the opposition's best players. I'd much rather see Dallas roll the dice with a younger, potentially offensive minded third line than what we saw last year.

I think Heika's potential line combo of Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt is solid, but I do hope they still get Sceviour and Wandell in the mix.
Fiddler is like Rome, but a forward.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
BigG44

Heika on Michael Ryder

2 important questions are raised. Who will Ryder play with, and what is his future with the organization?

Heika on who he could play with:
Quote:
Free agent Ray Whitney is what’s known as a play-making winger. He’s a quick, smart left wing with great vision, and he helped linemate Radim Vrbata score 35 goals in Phoenix last season. Vrbata is a right-handed right wing who had the best goal-scoring season of his career.

Hmmm. That sure makes it sound like there could be excellent potential chemistry between Whitney and Ryder (who is also a right-handed right wing). Second line center Derek Roy is expected to be out until late November following shoulder surgery, and the Stars still have to decide what they want to do in the second line center spot until that time. But if Whitney and Ryder can establish second line chemistry, then maybe the center position won’t be as important on that line.
Heika thinks Ryder may have a future with the organization, but I think Whitney being signed for a 2nd year pretty much stops that. Fraser, Chiasson, Glennie, and Reilly Smith would probably all need to suffer through average to below average seasons for Dallas to re-sign Ryder IMO. In reality, two of them could have established themselves in the Top 6 before the year is even over.

I like Ryder. I love what's he's done in Dallas in 1 season, but I don't think they'll spend money on him ... not when you have several prospects pounding on the door for an NHL spot. Just like they've left room this summer for Dillon to earn a role in the Top 6 on D, I think they'll go into next summer reserving at least 1 and probably 2 or more Top 9 roles for prospects like Fraser, Chiasson, Glennie, etc.

IMO, it's safe to assume that Benn, Eriksson, Whitney, Eakin, and Vincour will be firmly entrenched in the Top 9 next season. I do believe there's a good chance Derek Roy returns as well. Yes that likely leaves open a spot for Ryder, and I'd love him to return. Unfortunately, if his agent is smart, Ryder will be looking to cash out on a last big contract. He'll look for more years than Dallas will feel comfortable committing to IMO.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:36 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Ryder could very easily regress next year too, consistency has never been his forte. Seeing its a contract year for him I think he'll be fine, but - like Roy - I want to wait and see how he performs next year before thinking extension.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Ryder could very easily regress next year too, consistency has never been his forte. Seeing its a contract year for him I think he'll be fine, but - like Roy - I want to wait and see how he performs next year before thinking extension.
That's true. The good thing Ryder has going for him is it would seem unlikely that he'd fall out of the Top 6 at this point.

I'd love to see that happen, and it is not because of any animosity or ill will for Ryder. Michael in the Bottom 6 almost surely means a young player stepped up in a huge way.

I think that Ryder has a relatively easy path to at least 20 goals though, and he can hopefully reproduce his success from last year. Even as a 3rd line forward with minimal PP time in Boston he was putting up 18 goals.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:42 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Its my own fault for continuing to follow him, but I get so annoyed by Worley posting his top 20 players of all time, then getting ******** when people disagree with him.

Quote:
Brandon Worley ‏@brandonworley

I'm surprised to see some that feel so strongly Ott was too high at #15.
Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Robidas might just be the most underrated player in Stars history. #comeatmebro
Quote:

I am lost as to why people are so upset with Stephane Robidas being higher on our list than Hull.
Keep drinking that Kool-Aid Brandon.

Old
08-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Wait, seriously, Robidas higher on a list of top players of all time than Hull?

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

I wish I could say that was just trolling like the Modano-worst-Star-of-all-time article, but...

That's also taking the term "media" very loosely.

Old
08-12-2012, 04:26 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Wait, seriously, Robidas higher on a list of top players of all time than Hull?
as Dallas Stars. The argument is clearly longevity but i really dont think Robidas has dont nearly as much in his career as Hull did in those 3 years.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:30 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Its my own fault for continuing to follow him, but I get so annoyed by Worley posting his top 20 players of all time, then getting ******** when people disagree with him.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid Brandon.
I actually think Robidas might be the most overrated Dallas Star ever.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:01 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I actually think Robidas might be the most overrated Dallas Star ever.
Agreed

Old
08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
as Dallas Stars. The argument is clearly longevity but i really dont think Robidas has dont nearly as much in his career as Hull did in those 3 years.
Even when thinking of longevity it's still, at best, a bad joke.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Brandon Worley has always been a horrendous "hockey mind". Nothing new here

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
BigG44

Haven't updated this a ton because feels sort of pointless with the looming, potential lockout and the negative feelings coming out of the meetings.

Heika had a good update on Robidas yesterday though where he explained how Robidas could still be a valuable member of the team (which I honestly do agree with), but the coaches have to stop pretending he's the best defender ... a true #1 ... for this team (I don't know if they can).

Old
08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

It was still riddled with the classic media softball take on Robidas though. He's the Michael Young of Stars hockey. They feel a need to defend him for some reason. I mean, you've got to be out of your mind if you seriously thought Robidas was our best Dman last season, I'm sorry. I don't know who these "most people" are that Heika's asking.

It's sentences like this that drive me up the wall:
Because, on most teams, Robidas probably shouldn’t be your No. 1 defenseman.
Which should read, "On all teams, Robidas unequivocally should not be your No. 1 defenseman."

Old
08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
BigG44

I'm often hard on Heika, but he can't just rip Robidas. Yes he softens the blow in many ways, but he at least came to the right conclusion that Robi can't lead this teams defense.

Heika has to work with these guys to get stories. I can't really see him writing a hard hitting story without burning bridges. Yes it was a bit soft, but his point was still true.