HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmet

Old
08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
cherrypik

vCash: 500
Helmet

I'm currently wearing a helmet dating back to the mid-90s. The padding inside has become rather hard. Can I replace the padding or should I purchase a new helmet? I guess my question is do they expire?

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post
I'm currently wearing a helmet dating back to the mid-90s. The padding inside has become rather hard. Can I replace the padding or should I purchase a new helmet? I guess my question is do they expire?
The outer plastic has likely degraded over time as well. Helmets don't really expire, per se, but the certification does and it's recommended that you get a new one every several years.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
The outer plastic has likely degraded over time as well. Helmets don't really expire, per se, but the certification does and it's recommended that you get a new one every several years.
That's pretty much it right there as always. I'll just add that a helmet should also be replaced after any major impact and when the foam becomes brittle/dried.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
cherrypik

Thanks for the input guys!

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Hank4Hart

depends what shape the helmet is in.

the foam in the old mid 90's helmet are mostly the rubatex foam, they harden overtime and lose their protection. the plastic does become more brittle overtime, but you can usually tell with your own judgement if they still have some life left.

for example, i still use my jofa 282 helmet made in 1983 and a cooper sk2000 made in 1992 to play in goal with and i am perfectly fine even after getting smoked by pucks, but thats only because i make sure the foam inside is still good.

what kind of 90's helmet do you have? if you own a old cooper helmet then i know someone that sells new foam to replace the old crappy ones.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Stickchecked

The one comment I would make: If the helmet doesn't fit very well, get a new one. I had a 14 year old that worked fine, was as little big but it didn't bother me when I played. Then I bought a new helmet and this one fits perfectly snug.

WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

Without a doubt, I feel more comfortable holding onto the puck and for longer than in my old helmet.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Helmets typically should be replaced every 3-5 years or if you get a devastating hit in one.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Helmets typically should be replaced every 3-5 years or if you get a devastating hit in one.
not if his helmet was made with the rubatex foam.... those foam stay good after big hits. its the new EPP foam or whatever its called that would break down

Old
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
not if his helmet was made with the rubatex foam.... those foam stay good after big hits. its the new EPP foam or whatever its called that would break down
If you want to argue molecular level tearing and breakdown, but in simple terms, it's a 'better safe than sorry' thing.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you want to argue molecular level tearing and breakdown, but in simple terms, it's a 'better safe than sorry' thing.
true, i can agree with that.

Old
08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the padding inside is hard, clearly the foam needs to be replaced, and you might as well do the whole helmet at once.

I'm not as big a proponent of replacing EPP foam helmets after minor hits. They aren't the same type of collapsible foam as in bike helmets and are a lot more resilient (and actually not as helpful). But for sure a major, major hit could cause damage to the helmet itself. Better safe than sorry in that case. And VN foams will harden over time, which makes them uncomfortable and less useful in absorbing hits.

Replacing a helmet after 3-5 years or after a huge, huge hit would be a good practice. And helmets are pretty cheap, you can get a solid one for $50-60.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote