HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #6

View Poll Results: #6
Jordan Schmaltz, D 24 38.10%
Brett Ponich, D 1 1.59%
Jani Hakanpaa, D 23 36.51%
Sam Kurker, RW 0 0%
Cade Fairchild, D 9 14.29%
Philip McRae, C 6 9.52%
Joel Edmunson, D 0 0%
MacKenzie MacEachern, LW 0 0%
Sebastian Wannstrom, RW 0 0%
Dmitri Jaskin, RW 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvillewr4 View Post
does anyone else love the fact that we are debating as to who is our 4-6th best prospect and we have 4-5 diff defensemen we could choose from who can be nhl ready in 2-4 years (cole, fairchild, hakanpaa, schmaltz, edmunson)

thank you scouts and DA!!
It's a fun debate. The defensemen projects are somewhat varied in profile. Schmaltz and Hakanpaa have the highest ceilings IMO, but they come at it from totally different directions. Hakanpaa is huge, physical, solid defensive defenseman, has EJ athleticism. Improving his offensive game steadily and really only needs to improve a little on skating, which is traditionally one of the easier things to work on. He's actually quite fluid in motion, just needs to get his first couple of steps to be faster. Schmaltz, on the other hand, has the offensive IQ but none of the physicality or defensive acumen Hakanpaa has and is farther away. (That's my justification for voting Hakanpaa ahead of Schmaltz.)

Then you have Cole who's NHL-ready and has some ceiling still to spare. Edmundson and Ponich are projects, with Edmundson probably passing the earlier-drafted Ponich just because Ponich's last season was troubling coming off the knee injury. These guys are boom-bust projects. Fairchild seems to be an overachiever in the Russell mold. Then there are guys like Parayko and Walters and Lindbohm who were drafted this year and we know relatively little about. Going to be interesting in particular to track Parayko at Alaska-Fairbanks next year.

There's only one area where the Blues really need an organizational infusion and that's at natural center. You've got Berglund, Backes and that's kind of it. Yeah, there's McRae but he's not there yet. All the rest of the prospects project at wing in the NHL, even Seaman.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:37 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Went Schmaltz because I believe his upside is higher than Hakanpaa's by a hair's breadth. Hakanpaa is closer, but I think Schmaltz will eventually be better.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:36 PM
tvillewr4

ive noticed a couple people mention kurker as a pick they are really starting to like. anyone have any good liinks to his style of game or video of him?

tvillewr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvillewr4 View Post
ive noticed a couple people mention kurker as a pick they are really starting to like. anyone have any good liinks to his style of game or video of him?
http://thehockeywriters.com/sam-kurk...spect-profile/
I couldn't find any videos, but here is a nice little article on him if you are interested.
I heard someone on here say he seems like a "poor-mans Backes" which seems pretty accurate as well.

Bluesnatic27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:47 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Went Schmaltz because I believe his upside is higher than Hakanpaa's by a hair's breadth. Hakanpaa is closer, but I think Schmaltz will eventually be better.
I hope it's more than that. Schmaltz is a first-round pick.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
And Hakanpaa's value has risen to about that level, in the sense his upside is now a really solid 2nd pairing guy. And that's what I think Schamltz ends up being at. Stop using "he was drafted earlier" as an answer for everything.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

That article used "Chris Neil with a better shot" to describe his NHL potential. That's a pretty apt comparison, though I would argue 3-4 years at BU should help him round out both his offensive and defensive games. I think he could end up being better than just "Chris Neil with a better shot".

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:06 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Lol you just can't get over that can you? The greatest Dman in this era was not selected until the 3rd round. Keith Yandle was taken in the 4th round. Kris Letang was taken in the third round. Edler was taken in the third round. Mark Streit was taken in the 9th round, as were Jaro and Elliott both. Obviously can't forget about Datsyuk and Zetterberg either. It just so happens that sometimes the scouts undervalue good players.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
The entire point of doing this ranking is to ignore the draft position and appraise the players as to their value NOW. There's a hell of a lot more information available than there was at each player's respective draft day.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
stlweir

Stating the obvious, a big part of rating prospects is taking into account where players were drafted in this past draft. Other players who are 2-3-4-5 years past their draft years are much easier to have a handle on when evaluating. Most of the kids just drafted are 18 years old and have a lot of room for growth.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The entire point of doing this ranking is to ignore the draft position and appraise the players as to their value NOW. There's a hell of a lot more information available than there was at each player's respective draft day.
This is the differing opinion that makes the discussion great. Some people put more value on how close their are to the NHL and some people put more value on their ceiling and potential.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

I've been hearing so much about this hakanpaa guy (especially from Nines lol) and his steady defensive play with good size and speed. Do u guys know of any actual quality videos of him I could watch to give my own scouting report of the guy? other than a quick highlight video that makes him look like Pronger.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Watch the WJC from last year. I thought he was the best player on team Finland.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:15 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Alright thank you. I'm gonna try and find some video on that.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I think people are over playing the first round pick thing with Schmaltz as I feel like he was a decent reach there.
Jaden Schwartz and David Perron were both thought of a reacts as well.....

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:49 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
Jaden Schwartz and David Perron were both thought of a reaches as well.....
As was Oshie.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:18 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
As was Oshie.
So was Schmaltz.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:01 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Schmaltz - First round pick, top two ceiling

Hakanpaa - later round pick, #5-6 ceiling.
someone better tell Roman Polak. if you dare open that door.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:28 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Would anyone oppose naming Hakanpaa the #7 prospect and skipping that round of voting?

Old
08-06-2012, 11:29 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Would anyone oppose naming Hakanpaa the #7 prospect and skipping that round of voting?
Not me

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
We're not in a rush here, may as well collect the votes and see.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1242287

Old
08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
execwrite

Wow - looks like I really stirred up the Finnish contingent here.

All the love for Hakanpaa is great - but if he's a better prospect than our #1 pick - Houston, we have a problem.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:21 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:

All the love for Hakanpaa is great - but if he's a better prospect than our #1 pick - Houston, we have a problem.
It's such a crap shoot though. We're looking at 18 year old kids, when drafting. Do you really know what you have, when they probably won't make an impact for 4 years? Where would Hakanpaa be draftwise, if he would have been drafted this year? I kind of liked it better roughly 20 years ago when you knew what you were getting in a player and that they could probably step right on your roster or be a year or two away. It is fun to follow kids in their development though.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

He is better than our top pick this year. And we don't have a problem. Blues just got caught in a bad spot and had to settle for a completely one-dimensional player who could be something if he improves the non-existent dimension to his game. On the other hand, Hakanpaa overachieved and turned into something. That happens too.

You didn't so much as "stir up the Finnish contingent" since Hakanpaa basically led this entire poll til the very end when Schmaltz edged ahead and it was called. Instead, it was more like you further revealed the way you think of prospects. First, you always plug in prospects to the starting Blues lineup in future line projections well before they're ready, overrating prospects at the expense of established players, but second, you seem to do this on a very regimented "where were they drafted" basis. Hakanpaa as a 4th rounder possibly being better than a 1st rounder just is beyond your ability to grasp. Hence, "Houston we have a problem" and all these other things. Schmaltz is a super raw pick and a huge gamble. Right now we're on the wrong side of that gamble until he improves. He was even cut quickly from US WJC camp. There may have been a brother factor but there isn't a single report that he was particularly good at camp. Schmaltz really isn't better than Hakanpaa at this point. No matter where they were drafted.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote