HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Name a player, get a scouting report

Old
08-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Dan K211
Jaws

vCash: 500
Name a player, get a scouting report

Since it's impossible to watch every hockey game and very difficult to watch West games if you live in the East (and vice versa), I thought it'd be handy to have a thread where you can name a player on a team and get a scouting report from a fan of that team.

What does a good shift from this player consist of? What does a bad shift consist of? What's he like on the bench or behind the scenes (many teams have local shows that take the viewer behind the scenes into the lockerroom)? Strengths/weaknesses?

I'll pretend someone said Brent Burns.

Burns has all the physical tools to be a good defenseman. He is able to make the first pass to get out of the defensive zone and quick enough to jump up into the same play. Defensively, one on one he is agile and lanky enough to stay with quick forwards and strong enough to handle big forwards. In corner battles he will use his size and strength to put a forward down. He has a strong wrist shot that either gets on net or is shot high which he uses more often than his slapshot.

He struggles with quick defensive reads and figuring out who his man is on the rush. He will take himself out of position to make a big hit and I've seen him go for a hit while defending a 3 on 2. When play in the defensive zone is slow, he excels with his length and strength. When the rush is coming fast is when he is at his worst, defensively.

Away from the ice he has a huge reptile collection. He has tattoos that cover a lot of his upper body and seems like a light hearted kind of guy.

I'd like to know about Stephan Weiss.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
the edler
Inimitable

weiss is a good canadian boy from toronto, he likes to play hockey and is quite good in the locker room

his dream is to win stanley cup with the new york islanders

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
weiss is a good canadian boy from toronto, he likes to play hockey and is quite good in the locker room

his dream is to win stanley cup with the new york islanders
Wow, OP's idea got screwed up pretty quick lol

I'll give it a push just to keep it going....

Phil Kessel

Lol fire away!

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
AlvintheChoster

I would like to know about Ryan Clowe

AlvintheChoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Give me knowledge about James van Riemsdyk (flyers fan most likely)

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Wow, OP's idea got screwed up pretty quick lol

I'll give it a push just to keep it going....

Phil Kessel

Lol fire away!
Phil Kessel has explosive speed and agility and one of the best snap-shots in the league. He uses his speed to get around defenders on a rush and will often quickly release his effective snap-shot. He also has under rated hockey sense and play making abilities, and he thinks the game better and has more offensive creativity than he gets credit for.

His weaknesses are physical play occasional defensive errors.

I'd like to hear a report on Patrice Bergeron.

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreWest View Post
Phil Kessel has explosive speed and agility and one of the best snap-shots in the league. He uses his speed to get around defenders on a rush and will often quickly release his effective snap-shot. He also has under rated hockey sense and play making abilities, and he thinks the game better and has more offensive creativity than he gets credit for.

His weaknesses are physical play occasional defensive errors.

I'd like to hear a report on Patrice Bergeron.
Elite 2 way centreman. Excellent hockey sense, very strong around the boards and is a face off expert.

Above average in every category. Possesses an unmatched work ethic and great leadership qualities.

Relies on his positioning, strength and board work in the defensive end of the rink and does an excellent job of transferring that skill-set to the offensive end allowing him to generate most of his offense down low.

I wanna hear about Matt Moulson

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Give me knowledge about James van Riemsdyk (flyers fan most likely)
Assets: Skilled offensively for a player his size; heavy wrist shot, even though his release isn't the quickest; loves taking the puck wide on dmen and using his long stride to beat the dmen for high quality scoring chances; great finisher around the net; still has upside.

Weaknesses: Defensive effort is OK, but he will never be known for his defensive prowess...gets caught out of position on D a lot; has a frame to dominate physically but unfortunately does not have that innate mean streak to assert himself physically; consistency issues...looks all-world one game and is invisible the next; injury concerns (mostly hip issues), but that is mostly overblown.

Someone give me a scouting report on Logan Couture please.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no

I'd like a report on Alex Pietrangelo

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Someone tell me about Cam Fowler.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Sam Gagner intrigues me, info please?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
keslerburrows

The really short guy on montreal that's name desharnais I think.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvintheChoster View Post
Physical winger with a mean streak. Never afraid to drop the gloves or stand-up for teammates. Doesn't throw big hits. Excellent along the boards and good at playing the possession game. Despite his playmaking tendencies, he has some pretty nice hands hands and an underrated shot. Sub-par skating and mediocre, at best, defensive play. Occasionally gets too emotional for his own good and takes stupid penalties. Money in the shootout.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Great idea.

Tell me about Ryan O'Reilly.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvintheChoster View Post
Clowe's best assets are his size and strength. In the offensive zone, once he has the puck along the boards and can place himself between the defender and the puck, there are few players in the NHL better at protecting the puck and maintaining possession. The defender is left standing behind Clowe just staying with him while not being able to reach the puck. Once he has ownership of the puck, he looks to dish. He is often guilty of staying on the perimeter doing what I described above and not taking his big frame to the net. All his goals are from close to the crease.

Clowe's aggression makes him a great policeman for his teammates. He will troll the opponent by his chirping and is always willing to back it up with fisticuffs where he is a legit heavy middleweight/ light heavyweight.

Clowe is a below average defender due to his lack of foot speed and top speed. He is not able to stop and start well with long clunky strides. He is often said to be trying to play like Thornton by staying on the perimeter and looking to dish. He will take bad penalties out of frustration.

Clowe has been on post game interviews criticizing the team leadership out of frustration on more than one occasion. He takes losses harder than guys like Thornton and Marleau and that endears him to many Sharks fans.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

Jonathan Bernier please.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:32 PM
kingsboy11
Comeback King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Jonathan Bernier please.
He is a very capable NHL goalie someday once he gets a shot somewhere else. Very sound technically, very skilled with the puck. The one thing that he does not do well is that he is not usually good at the beginning of games, but as the game goes on he is a brick wall.

I would give you more analysis, but he doesn't play that much. someone else might elaborate better than me.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Assets: Skilled offensively for a player his size; heavy wrist shot, even though his release isn't the quickest; loves taking the puck wide on dmen and using his long stride to beat the dmen for high quality scoring chances; great finisher around the net; still has upside.

Weaknesses: Defensive effort is OK, but he will never be known for his defensive prowess...gets caught out of position on D a lot; has a frame to dominate physically but unfortunately does not have that innate mean streak to assert himself physically; consistency issues...looks all-world one game and is invisible the next; injury concerns (mostly hip issues), but that is mostly overblown.

Someone give me a scouting report on Logan Couture please.
Couture's best assets are his hockey IQ and quick accurate wrister. One of the best ways to describe him is good at many things, great at nothing. He seems to always be in good position and it just seems like "the puck follows him". Average top speed, for a player his size, with good agility. He's solid defensively using his smarts.

So far, I have not seen much of a playmaking ability from Couture though he is good at continuing puck possession by dishing off. He is not a strong player and can be taken off his game with physicality. LA in specific has been out to get into his head by being overly physical. Sharks fans kid that Clowe is his personal bodyguard as Clowe has dropped the gloves on numerous occasions after an opponent has taken liberties on Couture.

Scout Stephan Weiss, anyone?

Old
08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password is Taco View Post
I'd like a report on Alex Pietrangelo
Alex Pietrangelo is one of the best defensemen in the NHL. He is extremely smart, and it shows. He rarely makes a poor decision, and when he does make one, they're often not in his own zone. He's not overly physical, and instead relies on excellent positioning, a quick stick, and the ability to read the game in order to take away time and space from the puck carrier. Offensively, he is a fantastic passer, and has a shot that somehow always makes it through. Once he got accustomed to Hitchcock's system, he took off offensively. He is also a very good skater. Really not much more to say here. Blues' best player, most important player, and one of the best in the league. Could easily contend for the Norris this upcoming year.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I'd like to know more about Torrey Mitchell.

Thanks in advance.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Noel92

I'd like to know about Devante Smith-Pelly.

Noel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Marfy
Jooordaaan Ebeeerle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Sam Gagner intrigues me, info please?
Slightly to above average vision, average wrist/slap shot that is accurate but could really use some more speed. Decent skating speed, though came into 2011-12 Oil camp much faster until an unfortunate ankle injury that forced him out of a couple games and more or less killed his skating gains. Good choice for the shootout as he has deviated from using just his one forehand move when he broke into the league. Not physical though willing to fight at times when he feels like he needs to assert himself or make an impression. Pass first player.

Not a great face-off man though getting better. Very average defensively, though effort is there. Struggles with consistency which is probably biggest issue though only 22 could still easily find his rhythm. His play is really dependent with his confidence level which will hopefully grow with maturity. Already 5 years NHL experience under his belt. Most Oiler fans will tell you that after the season is over, he always leaves you with the impression that you wanted/expected more than he delivered.

Marfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:08 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Ian Cole if possible

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setowildfan View Post
I'd like to know about Devante Smith-Pelly.
Strenghts:

Strong, physical, decent defensively and can look pretty fast at times. Is pretty good around the opposing crease.

Flaws:

Is still pretty raw, especially offensively. Right now he's not a very good passer or puck possession player, and he's not going to snipe it up the top corners either.

I wouldn't call his skating mobility and lack of a mean streak weaknesses, but those are things he could improve to make him even tougher to play against and an even faster/better skater.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:23 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan K211 View Post
Scout Stephan Weiss, anyone?

it's stephen weiss, here's his assets, flaws and potential from the hockey news

Quote:
ASSETS: Possesses tremendous acceleration, two-way instincts and scoring ability. When on top of his game, he's creative and makes his teammates around him better. Is usually solid on face-offs despite not being very big.
FLAWS: Isn't very strong, nor is he great at fending off the tight checking, although he has improved that aspect since he's often pitted against opponents' top lines. Can struggle in tough contests, since he isn't physical at all.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Solid two-way center.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote