HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Screws Up New York Attendance Numbers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 03:13 AM
  #1
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Tough Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
ESPN Screws Up New York Attendance Numbers

Just checked some stats and the Rangers are near the bottom of the league in attendance. This was pretty shocking, considering they are a Stanley Cup favorite and the city itself is massive.

What's going on?

I thought it might be because the Knicks are good this year, but even they aren't selling out.



*Edit*

Answer on post 17.


Last edited by Tough Guy: 02-02-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:14 AM
  #2
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,120
vCash: 500
Expensive. Not having a good start.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:24 AM
  #3
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...-ticket-in-nhl

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:25 AM
  #4
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Tough Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
?

Rangers are a little above average. Is that bad? Toronto is almost twice as expensive (which is obscene).

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:32 AM
  #5
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
?

Rangers are a little above average. Is that bad? Toronto is almost twice as expensive (which is obscene).
Do you have stats for more teams? Me thinks cities that aren't exactly known as hockey cities (not to say the Rangers don't have a great following) are going to struggle because of the lockout.

Is this just a phenomena in New York? If so my best bet is the poor start but I can't see that drastically changing the statistics.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:43 AM
  #6
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
95% of capacity

Must be because of the lockout. New York isn't like a Canadian city where hockey is the only thing one can do

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:43 AM
  #7
Oilking83
Registered User
 
Oilking83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
The thing I found interesting is the top 6 teams are Canadian teams then Ottawa's all the way down at 15 anyone know why that is?

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:45 AM
  #8
kaiser matias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moilers View Post
The thing I found interesting is the top 6 teams are Canadian teams then Ottawa's all the way down at 15 anyone know why that is?
Their arena is outside of Ottawa in a suburb and a hassle to drive to/from for games. Combine with poor product the past couple years, and attendence drops.

kaiser matias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:47 AM
  #9
Oilking83
Registered User
 
Oilking83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
Their arena is outside of Ottawa in a suburb and a hassle to drive to/from for games. Combine with poor product the past couple years, and attendence drops.
Well Ottawa's been a pretty good team for the past decade so I don't think that's it and the list was average cost of ticket's not attendance figures.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:49 AM
  #10
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,613
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moilers View Post
Well Ottawa's been a pretty good team for the past decade so I don't think that's it and the list was average cost of ticket's not attendance figures.
It is stupid trying to get in and out of there. Unless I have awesome seats, I never go.

__________________
Hardly Human
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:50 AM
  #11
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,761
vCash: 1100
I don't know if they're down so much as everyone else is up.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:53 AM
  #12
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
95% of capacity

Must be because of the lockout. New York isn't like a Canadian city where hockey is the only thing one can do
Vancouver says hi.

God I'm such a spoiled little brat, I can't wait to move from Vancouver even though it's honestly such a fantastic place to live.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:54 AM
  #13
Oilking83
Registered User
 
Oilking83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
It is stupid trying to get in and out of there. Unless I have awesome seats, I never go.
I guess a better question would be why would they build their arena in the middle of no where? lol

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:58 AM
  #14
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,613
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moilers View Post
I guess a better question would be why would they build their arena in the middle of no where? lol
If you live in Kanata or Stittsville it is convenient because you can go backroads or get off 1 or 2 exits down, but I'm in Nepean and the 417 is a joke most of the time. I think because they were a newer franchise, they never had one in their downtown area like Toronto or Montreal (or most cities).

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:00 AM
  #15
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Tough Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
95% of capacity

Must be because of the lockout. New York isn't like a Canadian city where hockey is the only thing one can do
Honest question. Have you ever been to Toronto or Montreal?

P.S. As an aside, NHL attendance is insane this year. 20/30 teams are playing to full capacity and 27/30 are above 90%.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:05 AM
  #16
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
They haven't sold out? That's strange. I thought they always did considering the population.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:33 AM
  #17
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 11,789
vCash: 500
didn't the rangers lose seats because of the renovation? where are you getting the numbers from?

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:34 AM
  #18
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
didn't the rangers lose seats because of the renovation? where are you getting the numbers from?
They are down to 17,200 with the renovations and ESPN is reporting a 94.3 attendence figure for them on the chart BUT i think they just didn't account for the renovations in the spread sheets.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:57 AM
  #19
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
They are down to 17,200 with the renovations and ESPN is reporting a 94.3 attendence figure for them on the chart BUT i think they just didn't account for the renovations in the spread sheets.
This.

ESPN still using last year's max capacity even though renovations have knocked down max capacity to 17,200 for this (and next?) season until the bridge is put in.

Non-story

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:31 AM
  #20
ichabod13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
did opening night sell out?
maybe people are saving their money for super blah parties.....
maybe people are saving their money for the next WWE pay-per-view......( id pay to watch that before i paid for a super blah party...)
maybe its because of their not so great start this season.....
maybe espn has an old seating chart......
it could be a bunch of things man.


Last edited by spiny norman: 02-02-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: not needed
ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:42 AM
  #21
Anisimovs AK
Registered User
 
Anisimovs AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
did opening night sell out?
maybe people are saving their money for super blah parties.....
maybe people are saving their money for the next WWE pay-per-view......( id pay to watch that before i paid for a super blah party...)
maybe its because of their not so great start this season.....
maybe espn has an old seating chart......
it could be a bunch of things man.
Actually, if you did a google search and/or lived in the area, you would realize that MSG's hockey capacity is down to 17,200 due to renovations. Then you would see that their attendance is 17,200, and their percentage capacity is listed as 94.5% on ESPN's site. Then you would realize 94.5 percent of 18,200 is 17,200. Then you would realize that you are wrong, and this thread is a non story.

You can quote this when their attendance stays at 17,200 for the ENTIRE season.

How the hell is this a thread?

The capacity for hockey has been as follows:

17,250 (1968–1972)
17,500 (1972–1990)
16,792 (1990–1991)
18,200 (1991–2012)
17,200 (2012–present)


Last edited by spiny norman: 02-02-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: qmep
Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:48 AM
  #22
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
How can anyone in Canada afford season tickets? Some of those prices are ridiculous, it's nice living in the cheap south.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:04 AM
  #23
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
How can anyone in Canada afford season tickets? Some of those prices are ridiculous, it's nice living in the cheap south.
Vancouver is the 36th most expensive city to live in the World, first in North America, so I think they're used to it.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/vancouver+...994/story.html

Our GDP per capita isn't that exactly high either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mestic_product

Quite frankly I just go to games infrequently and when I do I sit in the nose bleeds.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:07 AM
  #24
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimovs AK View Post
Actually, if you did a google search and/or lived in the area, you would realize that MSG's hockey capacity is down to 17,200 due to renovations. Then you would see that their attendance is 17,200, and their percentage capacity is listed as 94.5% on ESPN's site. Then you would realize 94.5 percent of 18,200 is 17,200. Then you would realize that you are wrong, and this thread is a non story.

You can quote this when their attendance stays at 17,200 for the ENTIRE season.

How the hell is this a thread?

The capacity for hockey has been as follows:

17,250 (1968–1972)
17,500 (1972–1990)
16,792 (1990–1991)
18,200 (1991–2012)
17,200 (2012–present)
Calm down. The guy was asking a question that he had no way of knowing the answer to without asking it in the first place.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:48 AM
  #25
Drunkspleen
Face of the company
 
Drunkspleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bear Country
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
I'm willing to bet the Canadian dollar strengthening against the US dollar plays a big role in Canadian markets topping out the league in ticket costs.

Go back to 2003 and that $88 USD average in Montreal is suddenly a $58 USD average right in line with the league average.

It's the same in Australia, we still pay much higher rates in terms of US dollars for many goods based on our historically weaker dollar, even though we've been around parity for years now.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.