HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Name a player, get a scouting report

Old
08-04-2012, 05:03 AM
tmwctd

vCash: 500
Alex Auld please

Many thanks in advance!

tmwctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:59 AM
MrSnrub

I'd like to know about Josh Gorges. Who's going to tell me about him?

MrSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:18 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Bernier: very technically sound, even more so than Quick. May not cover the bottom of the net as well as quick, but makes up for it with his glove. Wants to be a starting goalie and is very capable.

Someone tell me about Linden Vey.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Vertzedyek

Mustapha Lemieux.

Vertzedyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:23 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
I wanna hear about Matt Moulson
Assets: He can park his ass right in front of the net and is not afraid to get the garbage goals. He has scored 30 goals the past three season with Tavares as his center. He has a sneaky wrist shot that he isn't afraid to use from the dots. Moulson's chemistry with Tavares is just uncanny. They always seem to know where one another is on the ice at all times.

Weakness: He has to be one of the softest players in the league. He's not going to finish his checks. His defense is kind of questionable, but in my opinion, his offense makes up for his lack of defense.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:57 AM
wwvdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertzedyek View Post
Mustapha Lemieux.
Undersized in length, oversized waist. He's got a very bad temper that takes many penalties and gets into fights every match. Found his level in the Test-HL and will never make the NHL.

HTH.

wwvdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwctd View Post
Many thanks in advance!
Alex Auld

Bauldy is a very poised keeper, big body, positionally sound, can make the athletic save. He will let in the soft one with alarming regularity (usually down low if memory serves) but can be relied upon to squeak out some wins when sparingly and judiciously used.

The best thing about Alex is his attitude. The man is genuinely happy to do what he's doing and is widely acknowledged as a great teammate. This is important as a backup (less tension, positive atmosphere).

For some reason I cannot fathom, he always plays his worst games against the Leafs.

As for current status, he was even more marginally used last season than usual which I believe adversely effected his confidence (even if that wasn't the issue, something was up and he wasn't his usual self). When the opportunity arose for him to step in with Craig Anderson out after an unfortunate icepick incident, Auld was less than inspiring, as he had been in all his limited action to date. First, Lehner was called up, then Ben Bishop was brought in and Auld became the forgotten man. So he remains...

He's now with EC Salzburg in Austria. I think last year was just a down year and if given another opportunity in the NHL he'd be a good backup again. Moving to Austria is certainly a pretty choice though.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Great idea.

Tell me about Ryan O'Reilly.
The kid has close to if not elite defensive awareness. Led the league in takeaways last year. Incredible work ethic. He's the fist one on and off the ice in practice. He used to run around pepsi center for warmups which is kind of cool. Like I mentioned great takeaway ability mostly due to his grit and body positioning. Great at intercepting passes. Has decent vision. I could easily see him putting up over 45 assists. Leadership qualities are there. Very well may be the captain in a few years. He is physical but not overly physical relies much more on his positioning. His shot is good enough but nothing to drool over. His release can be slow at times. He should be a consistent 20 goal scorer as soon as next year as he put up 18 last season.

His strengths are definitely on the defensive side of the puck but as he has shown last season he is no slouch in the offensive zone. I would like to see him improve on his speed but he is definitely not a slow player. Improving on his first two steps could even further more improve on his takeaway ability. I'm thinking he should be a consistent 60 point player with Selke caliber defence.

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'd like to know more about Torrey Mitchell.

Thanks in advance.
One of our fastest players on our team last year. Not as shifty as Havlat, but has the breakaway speed that would rival Marleau's. Good stick defensively and is willing to work all around the boards. Is a pretty good Pk'er but was mismanaged by our crappy PK system. Has excellent work ethic and never takes a shift off. Doesn't mind going to the net, but it's not his best asset. Is actually a pretty good faceoff guy.

He's undersized and could take a beating from playing around the boards from time to time. Nicknamed "Stonehands", he has trouble getting shots to the net and finishing. Get used to hearing your announcer say, "and Mitchell fans on the pass". Decent at best carrying the puck and not a playmaker by any means.

Bottom line: A typical 3rd line center that can net you 10 goals or so. Fans will love him for his incredible work ethic and fearlessness, but will be frustrated every time he blows a scoring chance. He'll make you miss Antii Miettinen by the all-star break.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
TheStroker

Tell me about my man, Akim Aliu.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:52 PM
ShootIt

Weiss: Good vision on the ice. Playmaker first, but can score if he plays with another playmaker. Accurate slapshot but will look to pass first instead of using it. Is also a solid back checking center. Is defensively responsible and is not a liability in any zone. Not as fast as he was to start his career but is a good skater.

Lacks physicality, average height-5'11 and never lived up to his pre draft hype. His shot power is average. Nothing about his game is great, but does well at all facets of the game. Above average faceoff center. Does not shy away from contact, nor is he afraid to block a shot occasionally

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
One of our fastest players on our team last year. Not as shifty as Havlat, but has the breakaway speed that would rival Marleau's. Good stick defensively and is willing to work all around the boards. Is a pretty good Pk'er but was mismanaged by our crappy PK system. Has excellent work ethic and never takes a shift off. Doesn't mind going to the net, but it's not his best asset. Is actually a pretty good faceoff guy.

He's undersized and could take a beating from playing around the boards from time to time. Nicknamed "Stonehands", he has trouble getting shots to the net and finishing. Get used to hearing your announcer say, "and Mitchell fans on the pass". Decent at best carrying the puck and not a playmaker by any means.

Bottom line: A typical 3rd line center that can net you 10 goals or so. Fans will love him for his incredible work ethic and fearlessness, but will be frustrated every time he blows a scoring chance. He'll make you miss Antii Miettinen by the all-star break.
Thanks!

I seriously doubt the highlighted part, though; Antii Miettinen was our 1st line winger for an entire year. As long as Mitchell stays on the 3rd line, I'll be happy.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:30 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Tell me more about DAVID BACKES -CENTER *-*STL

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnrub View Post
Josh Gorges has solid positionning which often results in him blocking shots (his specialty). He's an amazing penalty killer and knows how to use his stick smartly and effectively in order to block the passing lane or deflect a shot over the net. He is known for working hard and being a leader.

On the other hand, his lack of size for a defenseman makes it hard for him to clear the crease or to win battles 1 on 1 with bigger forwards. He is not a physical defenseman by any means but he does enough to separate the puck from the player who's carrying it and will deliver a punishing hip check or hit once every blue moon. His break-out pass is average but his shot is well below-average. His shot isn't really precise nor powerful but it is better than some of the defensemen who play a similar game. Comparable Rob Scuderi and Daniel Girardi.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Tell me more about DAVID BACKES -CENTER *-*STL
while still many think he`s a right-winger, he is one of the best defensive centers in the league
extreme good 2-way game, very physical and very, very tough
will never get real 1st line center points but still can score, has a good vision, some skill, decent skating and is top-scorer on a defensive orientated team
he never quits, is a true warrior and leader, just wants too much sometimes and takes a few bad penalties

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

Tell me of the one they call Lundin, Michael.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Luca Sbisa

Andrew MacDonald

Jamie McGinn

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

McIlrath, Dylan

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Luca Sbisa
Is a fast skater (among the Ducks fastest) and also has great mobility. Is very physical and can deliver bone crushing hits. Will drop the mits and is an ok middle weight fighter.

Will score some points, but still hasn't reached his potential offensively. Question is if he'll ever reach it, he might not have the offensive IQ at the highest level.

I'd label him as a two-way guy for now, but his defenitely better defensively than offensively, but not near elite at either.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
The really short guy on montreal that's name desharnais I think.
Desharnais has incredible offensive vision and passing ability. Can make plays out of nothing and will create a lot of scoring chances for his linemates during games.

Sure he is small, but he wouldn't have put up that many points if he couldn't handle the tougher NHL guys. His biggest asset is his brain, he is so intelligent along the boards and in the corners that he rarely gets checked and often comes out with the puck.

A very smart playmaker that has had to adjust to being smaller than everyone since his QMJHL days, so he knows what he's doing. Was once named ECHL playoff MVP. His speed used to be an issue but I would now consider him above average per NHL standards.

Realistically should be a solid 2nd line C with 70 pts potential, really useful on the PP.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnrub View Post
Gorges is a defensive minded defenseman that will do absolutely everything to block as many shots as possible. He is a guy that relies on positionning to defend and has solid skating abilities that allows him to really own the defensive zone.

He is too small/weak to be considered a physical defenseman and will often be hit hard by forechecking players. That definitely won't stop him though as he is a warrior and a leader and always gets up.

Offensively he has one of weakest shot I have ever seen, but at least he is a good enough passer and skater that he is able to get the puck out of our zone well enough and that is all that's asked of him.

Career potential has pretty much been reached, he just needs to keep playing the way he is. A #4 defensive D that can play a shutdown role, great on the PK and an excellent leader/warrior.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Vertzedyek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwvdw View Post
Undersized in length, oversized waist. He's got a very bad temper that takes many penalties and gets into fights every match. Found his level in the Test-HL and will never make the NHL.

HTH.
Thanks.

Vertzedyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:50 PM
binx bolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Luca Sbisa

Andrew MacDonald

Jamie McGinn
Strengths: good positioning and work ethic with above average speed. The key to MacDonald's game is his stick - which is at league max - and his willingness to block shots with his body. His stick checks are the core of his play in the d zone. he's accurate and timely though he uses them more to disrupts than he does to try and win the puck.

Lastly, he as a hard low shot though he thinks defense first and doesn't create enough opportunity for himself to use it. (unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on harmonic last year.) he's surprising good on the rush but at times shaky holding the blue line.

Weakness: he's not the strongest player and has trouble controlling players around the net. He battles but can lose position to bigger forwards. I've seen this along the boards as well.

Ceiling: simply put, he's reached it. He is a legit 3-4 option for most teams in the league. Maybe for a handful he'd be the anchor of the third pairing.

My ask: evader Kane

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Liminality

Could someone tell me more about Colin Wilson and how he's developing?

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Someone tell me more about Michael Leighton

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote