HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Name a player, get a scouting report

Old
08-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
I'd love to hear about how Oleksiak is developing

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:24 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Someone tell me more about Michael Leighton
Strengths: Plays well in front of stacked teams. Very good at making you unsure if you actually scored on him or not.
Weaknesses: Weak shots from the faceoff circle going five-hole in crucial games situations have a tendency to beat him. Not consistent enough to be a legitimate starting goaltender on most teams in the NHL.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Ian Cole if possible
Ian Cole is a difficult one. He is built like a wall, and is incredibly strong. He isn't afraid to use his body, and his strength transfers to his legs, as he's quite difficult to knock off the puck. When he's playing well, his defensive game revolves around strong board work and the ability to clear the front of the net with ease. He is positionally sound, and skates well. Offensively he won't amount to much, 20-30 points probably. However, he sometimes takes silly penalties, and is very inconsistent.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Shareefruck

Great idea. This kind of thing should be stickied.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

this is a great thread, can anyone give me some info on Grabner, I liked him a lot and am generally interested on how he's developing.

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:59 AM
binx bolling

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
this is a great thread, can anyone give me some info on Grabner, I liked him a lot and am generally interested on how he's developing.
Obviously, everything revolves around his speed. He's at full speed in three strides, making him a dynamic transition player. Groin issues hampered him last year and defenses dropped back to compensate, reducing his chances.

He has a good wrister that takes more time to get off than you'd like. Also, his legs sometimes seem ahead of his mind and he gets in too deep to make effective moves on goalies. They too have scouted him and try to wait him out, usually to pretty good success.

His passing is average to good and needs swift skaters on his line to really maximize his skill set. He's best when he can create chances with the puck on his stick so his offensive zone play can be frustrating sometimes. He does have a good puck pursuit though and finds lose pucks. What he does with the puck once he has it is another story. Playmaking is not his game.

Defensively, he's not physical and his positioning isn't perfect but his speed allows him to compensate. This will be his biggest growth area and make him an excellent top 9 player.

Overall, he's a very talented athlete with flashes of brilliance but generally mediocre hockey IQ. He's got a good work ethic and will improve his defensive game the most.

20-24 Gs should be just about right for for his prime along with PK time and solid checking.

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:43 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvintheChoster View Post
I would like to know about Ryan Clowe
Strengths: Very, very strong. Amazing board play and a great possession player. Won't get knocked off the puck. He's get great hands for someone I thought would be a 4th liner 6 years ago. Signature backhand move in the shootout that somehow fools goalies every single time, despite the fact that they should know what's coming. A real stand up guy, he's not afraid to call out himself or his higher profile teammates. He's a big-game player.

Weaknesses: His style is punishing on others and himself. I fear that he's going to start suffering a lot of injuries as he ages. He's slow as rocks, can't skate to save his life. And he's prone to extremely stupid turnovers. He tends to make bad decisions on when to become involved in a fight, and often takes himself off the ice in exchange for an enforcer, which is a very bad trade for his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Someone give me a scouting report on Logan Couture please.
Strengths: High hockey IQ. He's got great vision and great, soft hands. He's a very technical player. He has a nice shot and good-but-not-elite playmaking ability. He's very responsible defensively in that sneaky way that Datsyuk is. He's not a great skater, but he's very agile. Not afraid to park in front of the net. He's extremely consistent game to game, especially for someone his age. He slips hits pretty well. Can play C or LW. Good on faceoffs. Always in the right place at the right time. And he's very mature for his age, despite his obsession with Drake Lyrics.

Weaknesses: He takes a beating along the boards, just because he's a smaller dude and an average skater. And he doesn't have huge upside. He's most suited to be a 1B type of center. But he would suffice as a #1C on a poor team.

This is a great idea for a thread.

I'd love to hear about Mikkel Boedker, Kyle Okposo, and Victor Hedman, if you please.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 02:02 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Nobody asked for one about Nik Backstrom, but I just posted this in the finland vs usa goalie thread, and thought it might do well to be placed here anyway...

Backstrom...

Very overrated... and I say that as a Wild fan. He's one of the worst on the list from either country.

If he's already square to the puck... no problem, he's good positionally... but the moment you make him move you have him beat. He is very slow with his lateral movement, and even slower trying to recover from being out of position. He tends to go down early, and once down, he stays down forever, often times taking himself out of the play.

Add that to his weak glove hand (seriously, never seen any goalie give up more rebounds directly out of his glove than Backstrom, unfortunately, that's when he actually gets the glove there, which he usually doesn't)... and you have a goaltender that can put up stats with a very good defense in front of him, but if you need him to bail you out... you're up **** creek without a paddle.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:34 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

I'd like to know more about bobby orr...er, I mean drew doughty. Will he be a 1st pairing d-man?

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Michael Frolik ?!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Dan K211
Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Luca Sbisa

Andrew MacDonald

Jamie McGinn
From his time as a Shark:

McGinn's best assets are his quick first strides, physicality, and good wrist shot. He has good speed that allows him to finish his checks and he is willing to finish them with aggression. He can get off a quick wrister and is willing to crash the net. He is actively vocal on the bench and can drop the gloves adequately as a light middleweight.

McGinn's main weakness is his overall hockey IQ. Defensively, he doesn't show much anticipation and can be seen floating around in the defensive zone. Not due to lack of effort, but more for lack of knowing what to do and where to go once play is set up in the defensive zone. Offensively, he does not use his line mates well. He can protect the puck pretty well using starts and stops and his quickness, but does not do much to maintain possession through passing to teammates. Does not do well when looking to set up teammates. He is at his best when he keeps the game simple and crashes the net using his solid frame and quick shot.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Erik Gudbranson.

His current ability and potential ceiling. Thank you in advance.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Luca Sbisa

Andrew MacDonald

Jamie McGinn

Thanks to Elvstrand, binx, and Dan for their replies!

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Scout report on Scott Gomez, thanks.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Jeremyisgood

I'd like to hear some opinions on Brandon Sutter from Hurricane fans.

Jeremyisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Noel92

Interested in Patric Hornqvist. Can any Pred fans give me a report?

Noel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Fine young man
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1268
Linus Omark?

Fine young man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine young man View Post
Linus Omark?
Decent talent.

Good pair of hands, accurate but not very hard shot.

Short but not small. Plays heavy and protects the puck well.

Entitled attitude that will spell the end to his career as an oiler.

Nothing to get excited about as a player. Probably has no future in the NHL but would be a fan favorite sensation in Europe.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:24 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyisgood View Post
I'd like to hear some opinions on Brandon Sutter from Hurricane fans.
Not a huge or especially physical guy, but truly outstanding on defense. Strong skating and intelligence keep him in position, and he has a good active stick when he gets within reach of the puck.

The way we used him, it's hard to say exactly where his offensive ceiling is. He's not super skilled but he has the fundamentals to produce points. One of the running gags around him was that he is money on breakaways but horrible on penalty shots. If he is put in position to be a scorer, he might have 25-goal upside.

Great personality, good in the locker room, part of a legendary hockey family. A consummate professional NHL'er.

Overall, he's basically a smaller, slightly less skilled version of Jordan Staal. He's going to have a long career.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Victor Hedman
I'll give this a shot.

Pros:
- Huge Frame @ 6'6"
- Excellent reach
- Very good with his stick
- Good skater (not just for his size, for his size he's a fantastic skater)
- Good shot
- Can log a ton of minutes

Cons:
- Still has occasional brain farts.
- Big and strong, but not very physical
- Needs to show more consistent poise with the puck in his own end.
- Could produce more offensively.

Hedman just finished his 3rd NHL season. He has shown steady improvement since day one. Currently I would rate him as an ideal #2 dman, he can log the minutes and shutdown opponent's top forwards, but he doesn't produce enough points or play physical enough to be a legit #1 yet. The offensive potential is there and he has shown flashes of utilizing it.

He's only 21, so it's fully expected that he will continue to improve. He looked very good when he was given powerplay time at the end of the year. Better goaltending and more help on defense besides Eric Brewer should allow him to develop into a legitimate #1 Dman.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:57 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
I'll bite. Bobby Orr on the breakout. May as well not even exist if anything other than a breakout for his own team is going on.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
bigsick

Jacob Josefson

David Ullstrom

Tommy Wingels

please and thank you

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Well Gomez' game is built on speed. The guy has to be one of the most skilled player in the history of the game to carry the puck from the defensive end to the offensive zone. But that's pretty much all he's good at nowadays.

Defensively, he's okay. When he hustles, his speed allows him to be in decent position all the time and to pressure the puck carrier. He isn't very physical though and won't engage in puck retrivals really. He is half-decent on faceoffs though.

Offensively, he's a mess. I can't believe the amount of points he used to put up with New Jersey. He always gets forced to the outside and has one of the weakest shot I've ever seen. He's supposed to be a skilled playmaker but he isn't, his passes are extremely hard to catch, they're usually off target and too strong. He isn't a guy that will make it easy for his linemates with crisp, accurate passes.

So what you get is a $7,4M 3rd line center that's extremely soft, doesn't bring a whole lot defensively or offensively but has incredible speed and solid neutral zone dangling moves.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:29 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
Jacob Josefson

please and thank you
Dynamic skater with elite offensive vision. Very slick set of hands, adept at setting up plays from the half boards, on the fly, and out of the corners. Though he lacks overall strength, he is a very responsible defensive player, and is not afraid to take a hit to make a play. Needs to work on his finishing and getting open in the offensive zone without the puck. High IQ player with a ton of potential. Safe bet to be at least a top 6 player in his prime, good for 60+ points.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by setowildfan View Post
Interested in Patric Hornqvist. Can any Pred fans give me a report?
I'm a Canucks fan but I watch a lot of centre-ice so this will be a preliminary report, and then a Preds die-hard can augment what I have here:

Hornqvist is, in someways, the closest player to the now retired Tomas Holmstrom. Hard-working, good in the corners. Strong on the puck, great in front of the net. Great at getting the puck up quickly from in tight, and strong on deflections. However, he skates like he's in mud. Not a truly elite player, but the kind of player that can be the perfect compliment to the right line.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote