HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Name a player, get a scouting report

Old
01-30-2013, 03:14 AM
Kyle93

vCash: 500
I'd like to know more about Jamie Benn, thanks!

Kyle93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:47 AM
g3ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Gimme some Logan Couture. I know he's a good goal scorer but I know little about his skating, one on one moves, defensive game, etc.
I think I saw someone mention around here that Logan is good at everything, but not great at anything, and I don't think there's a better way to describe him. He can score goals, pass, play a two-way game, and mix it up a bit physically. He's one of those guys that's just fundamentally sound, and can play in all situations.

His 2 biggest drawbacks though are his skating and his lack of one-on-one moves. Couture is an average-to-good skater, which at the end of the day gets the job done, but doesn't really wow you. As for his one-on-one moves, Logan is very skilled, but he has more of that grinder mentality, and doesn't really do too much skill-wise in one-on-one situations. He'd much rather dump-and-chase, rather than try to deke someone.

As a Sharks fan, I love Logan, but I also see his limitations. A very good player, but a notch below that superstar level.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Frankie Corrado, anyone?

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Frankie Corrado, anyone?
The Good:

- Next Bobby Orr

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Frankie Corrado, anyone?
Strengths:
-Solid in virtually all facets of the game
-Compete level is high and he can play any style, at least in junior
-Very good hockey sense with a good first pass and sound defensive instincts
-Not afraid to bring it physically although is a bit undersized to do so at the next level

Weaknesses:
-I'd question his upside; obviously a very good pick for where he was drafted but if the Canucks are expecting him to be a top pairing guy they'll be disappointed
-Size could be a potential issue but at 6'1'' he's not exactly diminutive either
-Doesn't have a wow factor in any aspect of his game; not necessarily a bad thing for a defensemen

Conclusion:
I'd say he has second pairing NHL upside and I'm pretty confident he'll play 500+ games in the NHL which is a great compliment for a guy drafted so late. Maybe Josh Gorges with slightly less shutdown ability would be his upside.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
piere McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Mike Komisarek
Komisarek is a big body D and is at his best when he is standing infront of our net and clearing people out of the way. He is mean in the corners and makes players question if they want to go in there with him.

He is a bad skater and makes bad choices with the pucks. He has no offensive game at all, but has a surprisingly heavy shot.

Komisarek will have himself a game where he looks like the best defensive D in the league once or twice a month.

piere McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Strengths:
-Solid in virtually all facets of the game
-Compete level is high and he can play any style, at least in junior
-Very good hockey sense with a good first pass and sound defensive instincts
-Not afraid to bring it physically although is a bit undersized to do so at the next level

Weaknesses:
-I'd question his upside; obviously a very good pick for where he was drafted but if the Canucks are expecting him to be a top pairing guy they'll be disappointed
-Size could be a potential issue but at 6'1'' he's not exactly diminutive either
-Doesn't have a wow factor in any aspect of his game; not necessarily a bad thing for a defensemen

Conclusion:
I'd say he has second pairing NHL upside and I'm pretty confident he'll play 500+ games in the NHL which is a great compliment for a guy drafted so late. Maybe Josh Gorges with slightly less shutdown ability would be his upside.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Dat slapshot

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
BlueDream

- Kyle Brodziak

- Jordan Nolan

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:20 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Mike Kostka Defense 6'2" 210 Shoots: Right

Strengths: Has good size for the position, has decent puck moving skills and has developed the carom shot better then anybody since Gretzky, but needs to utilize it more for maximum effect

Weakness: through no fault of his own has galvanized LeafLand who is relentlessly turning him into the new Larry Murphy. Needs to be more physical especially with Leaf fans who've never tied their own skates

Career Potential: will become a dependable complimentary NHL Dman who can play in the bottom 4, more likely then not somewhere other than Toronto

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
I'd like to expand my knowledge in regards to Ben Eager
A skilled player who has never seemed to be able to "put it all together". Because he has the size and stength, He's survived as a grinder, but can go overboard and take some incredibly stupid penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Gimme some Logan Couture. I know he's a good goal scorer but I know little about his skating, one on one moves, defensive game, etc.
He's not fast, but can keep on his feet. He's certainly not a dangler, he makes a living with his shot and going in for the garbage goals. Good defensively and strong on the puck. Physical in the sense that he'll dig pucks out of corners and fight to get those garbage goals, but not in the sense that he is throwing his weight around or hitting people.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Black and Gold

Could someone tell me more about Eric Johnson?

Black and Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:32 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold View Post
Could someone tell me more about Eric Johnson?
Big smooth skating D-man. Great with board-work, can really lean on forwards. Good in one on one situations due to skating. A good puck carrier through the neutral zone, can use his size to protect the puck well. Makes a good outlet pass and has good hands.

Tends to try to do too much. Often skates the puck up ice through opposing players only to shoot into the goalies chest. Makes amazing plays than makes a silly mistake after. Although he has a booming shot, he has a hard time getting the puck on net.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:37 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Buffalo prospect Kevin Sundher please...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:47 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Can someone tell me about jannik hansen
Strengths: He's a fast skater with a strong sense of balance and agility. Combined with his tireless work ethic, that makes him particularly effective as both a forechecker and a backchecker. Not afraid of being physical, finishing his checks at every turn and getting mucky around the net; sometimes he'll throw the big hit or get in on the scraps. He's shown good passing skills and willingness to go for the garbage goals which grants him some offensive upside.

Weaknesses: Questionable offensive vision and poor shot selection keeps him from being a Top 6 forward. Sometimes he'll get too pissed off and throw a big check on the first thing that's moving, regardless if it's a player with the puck or the referee.

He's an ideal bottom 6 forward who can occasionally fill for injured top 6 wingers.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
tc23

vCash: 1636
I'd like to learn about Alex Burmistrov. What kind of game does he play? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What's his role on the Jets and future upside? Has he met draft expectations?

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Alexander Urbom, anyone?
Tough to get a read on him with a small NHL sample size. He's a very slick, good skater for a big body and he is your all-around defenseman with very hard shot that he seldom uses. He's got a decent knack for offense but it's not what he's going to be known for. He's got size, but he's not particularly physical, although he does use it from time to time. More of a positional defender than a physical one, but uses his body when he needs to. In the mold of a Henrik Tallinder/Braydon Coburn type player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Matt Taormina

Thank you in advance.
As a Devils fan, sad to see him go. The kid has great offensive vision, he really is so smart in the offensive zone. He's good at getting his shots on net in nice deflectable areas. Should be able to effectively quarterback a power play if you need him. He is a bit small so he has the tendency to get out muscled on defense, but he's not a liability by any means. His defensive play is actually pretty strong, and he's a smart player.

With the Devils glut of defenseman, there was no room for him, but at the top end, he could be an offensive contributor on the second pairing, but he's more likely to be a third pairing guy. He reminds me a lot of Peter Harrold in the skill set.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
- Jordan Nolan
Hits everything in sight. Pretty good, but not great, fighter. Gives 100% hustle every game. He is a big reason for the success of LA's 4th line.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
I'd like to learn about Alex Burmistrov. What kind of game does he play? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What's his role on the Jets and future upside? Has he met draft expectations?
His style is a lot like Datsyuk when he was younger. He has average speed and shot, but his puck skills like a lot of Russians are elite. He can dangle with the best of them but he hasn't learned to apply it into game situations consistently as far as scoring goes.

Already the best defensive forward on the team. Super strong on his skates- last week he levelled Chara with a hit lol.

He can turn the puck over a ton when he's not on his A game, which is more often than you'd like being only 21 still. If he ever learns to play with consistent grit he could be a Selke calibre 2nd line on wing or Center that puts up around 50 points with a goal scorer on his line

I can't see him ever being a #1 C, but Couturier sounds like the closest comparison I can think of. But I haven't watched couturier much at all so maybe flyer fans could help me out.

In that case...Sean Couturier

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:01 PM
CBJFan19*

Jonathon Audy-Marcchessault
just got called up to Columbus today

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
CBJFan19*

Boone Jenner

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Samsonov14
Best chimp ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
I'd like to know more about:

Douglas Murray
Evander Kane
Brandon Prust
This is a NYR fan's assessment of Prust, right after the trade to Montreal. I asked a friend of mine about him, and this is what he had to say. It's missing the Pros and Cons, but is a pretty solid encapsulation of what to expect:

"Prust is awesome in all those little ways you want your fourth liners
to be awesome. He's a middle-weight, but will fight anyone. He lives
by "The Code", sometimes even accepting fights when he shouldn't
because he knows it's the other guy's job to fight at that point. He's
also more than a meathead. He'll penalty kill, play hard and he is -
by everyone's account - a stellar "locker room guy".

Put simply, I think he's a great signing for Montreal. He'll bring
them a lot of what they need - toughness, character and a
defense-first mindset. He won't score more than a handful of goals,
but that isn't why you sign Prust.

I'm really bummed to see him leave the Rangers, but I understand them passing on him. He signed for $2.5 million/year, which is crazy
enough, but he also signed for four years, which seems a few too many (especially at that price) for a player like him. The NHL is so skewed with their contract durations that four years doesn't seem long, but it's eons in a sporting life, particularly for fourth-liners."

The dude who told me this knows hockey, and loved Prust. Take it as you see fit.

Samsonov14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:23 PM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
His style is a lot like Datsyuk when he was younger. He has average speed and shot, but his puck skills like a lot of Russians are elite. He can dangle with the best of them but he hasn't learned to apply it into game situations consistently as far as scoring goes.

Already the best defensive forward on the team. Super strong on his skates- last week he levelled Chara with a hit lol.

He can turn the puck over a ton when he's not on his A game, which is more often than you'd like being only 21 still. If he ever learns to play with consistent grit he could be a Selke calibre 2nd line on wing or Center that puts up around 50 points with a goal scorer on his line

I can't see him ever being a #1 C, but Couturier sounds like the closest comparison I can think of. But I haven't watched couturier much at all so maybe flyer fans could help me out.

In that case...Sean Couturier
Thanks for the info.

Burmistrov's always been a player that I found interesting. Made the NHL right after the draft and from the games I've seen he has a ton of skill but doesn't have a lot of points. Good to hear that he's been excelling defensively though.

With regards to his offensive game, would you say that development of consistency and offense was hurt by being brought into the NHL too early (aka being rushed) or is it appear to be one of those things that he'll improve on and continue to develop over time? Does he play the wing currently or does he play center and where has he looked the most comfortable?

Thanks again in advance!

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Phenomenon13

A report on Ryan Johansen Please! WHat are his offensive, defensive, skating, physical play, etc... Has he been moved to wing or is he still playing center?

Phenomenon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:29 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Everybody praises him but I never get a chance to watch him play.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Numminen

Brock Beukebooom

Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote