HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Two Ottawa trades, Oilers & Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
I wouldnt' do that Florida deal. Gudbranson means more or less what JovoCop did when he came in. Steady presence on the blueline that isn't afraid to muck it up. He had a good season last year and he wasn't afraid to step up and fight people. Add ontop that he said he actually wants to play for Florida. Methot is a step down from him imo, Gudbranson looks like he can be a solid #2-#3 and he's still very young. Peumpel isn't really necessary since Florida has very high quality prospects that slide into the top six and they still have Versteeg, Weiss, Fleischmann, etc. there's no reason to sell off Gudbranson for that return. The bottom six in Florida is fine, the top six will be getting a big boost from Huberdeau this year, there's no reason to do that trade.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Guys on Ottawa that throw their bodies around.

Neil
Smith
Cowen
Methot
Greening.

See what you did?

Old
08-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
You don't know enough about Smith, Borowiecki and Bishop then.
Even if those players are as good as advertised they will not displace the depth prospects we already have. Our prospect depth is very strong right now , so to trade 2 players who each have higher ceilings than anything coming in is foolish.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Villager
SMASHBROS2014

Pass from Edmonton

Old
08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Ben Bishop, is not better then Devan Dubynk or Tyler Bunz and it would be debatable who is better between him and Roy. Doesn't help the Oilers, if anything gives them problems.
Wait, what?

Would any NHL team give up a 2nd round pick for Tyler Bunz or Olivier Roy?

You are crazy if you don't believe Big Ben is a valuable chip. Bishop is already a very capable backup, with the potential to be much more, he could end up better than Dubnyk in the long run.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
You don't know enough about Smith, Borowiecki and Bishop then.
So, who plays 2C for Edmonton.... Not Smith that's for sure!
Maybe Hall, but then Oilers are REALLY thin on LW, considering Hemsky is also gone.

No from Edmonton.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
Wait, what?

You are crazy if you don't believe Big Ben is a valuable chip. Bishop is already a very capable backup, with the potential to be much more, he could end up better than Dubnyk in the long run.
Based on their play, yes. And I probably wouldn't even give up Bunz for a 2nd

Old
08-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Based on their play, yes. And I probably wouldn't even give up Bunz for a 2nd
I'd let Roy go for a 2nd, but not Bunz.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:14 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Wait, what?

Bunz was the WHL goalie of the year, and could be the Oiler goaltender of the future. The Oilers are better off without Bishop, better off keeping and developing what they have.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:24 AM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
I wouldn't touch the Edmonton deal. Two soft, offensive perimeter players while shipping out our bottom 6 and defensive grit for the future.

I doubt Florida accepts the second deal (I'm not sold on Gudbranson anyways)
hfboard at its finest.

making assumptions on other teams players without watching those players actually play. hemsky is anything but soft, in fact the reason hes become injury prone the last few years is because he doesn't play on the perimeter, goes to the tough areas and takes huge hits to make plays. as well, gagner is definately not soft, but he is smallish and easier to knock off the puck purely due to lack of physical strength.

as for the trade itself, i don't know near enough about the other players to say one way or the other if it would be a fair deal.

Old
08-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Bunz was the WHL goalie of the year, and could be the Oiler goaltender of the future. The Oilers are better off without Bishop, better off keeping and developing what they have.
Considering Bishop was called the best goalie not playing in the NHL, I think that trumps the WHL.

I think it is fair to say that all sides say no..

Old
08-04-2012, 08:32 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Considering Bishop was called the best goalie not playing in the NHL, I think that trumps the WHL.

Read this report then Bishop is far from being ranked the best goalie not in the NHL . the have many ranked higher them him . Because someone on TSN makes a IMO statement means nothing

it will not let me post the link so check it out at
the-nhls-next-generation-of-goalie-superstars

Old
08-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
I believe Jacob Markstrom holds that honour.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Read this report then Bishop is far from being ranked the best goalie not in the NHL . the have many ranked higher them him . Because someone on TSN makes a IMO statement means nothing

it will not let me post the link so check it out at
the-nhls-next-generation-of-goalie-superstars
So, I am not suppose to listen to respected hockey experts at TSN, or the writing staff at NHL.com but I am suppose to trust some guy I have never heard of? Some guy that cant even proof read his own work, which isn't even an article, but a slide show. Slide shows are used to show what outfits celebs are wearing. Not professional writers. He use HF for his rankings. We all know how great those are.

When Ben Bishop got traded he was leading the AHL in both save percentage and GAA.

"Bishop's numbers in the NHL have been unimpressive. He has 23 games under his belt with a 7-8-2 record."

6 of those games were in 2008/9
7 were in 2010/11.
Tell me, how well did the Blues do those years?

The only reason Bishop was in the AHL this year is because he was behind Elliot and Halak. You know them right?

What it comes down to Bishop is going to be a number 1 and I would rather keep him then the 1 night wonder and mr glassky.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
TSA0402

The funny part is that usually these quantity for quality involve a really good player.

These deals are crap for the opposing team, but I'm not sure Ottawa does them either.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:

Some people have been rumoured to say that, but who. There is a good chance Bishop will not make the Senators this year, and what I've read they're hoping for Lehner. If is also been said by some people thought the Senators paid too much for Bishop, in most part to his UFA status next year. If Bishop doesn't make the Senators this year, they'll lose him to waivers for sure.

Why trade for a goalie that will not make the team and the Oilers would lose to waivers.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:13 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Like Zack Smith, but he's a 3rd/4th line C at best and don't want to see Horcoff as a 2nd line C again. If the Oilers were going to trade Gagner, they would need a RHC to replace him.

Ben Bishop, is not better then Devan Dubynk or Tyler Bunz and it would be debatable who is better between him and Roy. Doesn't help the Oilers, if anything gives them problems.

Mark Borowiecki wouldn't crack the Oilers top 6 prospective D, why would the Oilers want him.

A bottom 6 player and a couple of B prospects for 2 top 6 players, talk about giving the Oilers the SHAFT.

Erik Gudbranson will not being moved any time soon and will take a lot more then what is being offered, brutal.
Sam Gagner is a third line center, and for what Zack Smith brings to a team is more valuable. Oiler fans overrate Gagner way too much. On a bad team he's a #2C, not a good one.

Bishop is better then Dubynk or Bunz.

And Borowiecki would be on the Oilers next season.

Hemsky will play 50 games this year max, wouldn't mind him though I guess.

I personally would give up Zibanejad for Gudbranson. He's a top pairing D and would solidify our D. We have depth up front and you have to give to get.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:18 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Some people have been rumoured to say that, but who. There is a good chance Bishop will not make the Senators this year, and what I've read they're hoping for Lehner. If is also been said by some people thought the Senators paid too much for Bishop, in most part to his UFA status next year. If Bishop doesn't make the Senators this year, they'll lose him to waivers for sure.

Why trade for a goalie that will not make the team and the Oilers would lose to waivers.
You couldn't be more wrong...

He's guarenteed to be on the NHL team next year, and our GM was considering trading Robin Lehner. Lehner will be given one more year in the AHL, then at the end of this year, Craig Anderson's contract is up. For the 2013-14 season Lehner and Bishop will both compete for the #1 job. And giving up a 2nd for a potential number one goalie is nothing.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Bottom line, every team in the deals lose.

No no no and no.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
You couldn't be more wrong...

He's guarenteed to be on the NHL team next year, and our GM was considering trading Robin Lehner. Lehner will be given one more year in the AHL, then at the end of this year, Craig Anderson's contract is up. For the 2013-14 season Lehner and Bishop will both compete for the #1 job. And giving up a 2nd for a potential number one goalie is nothing.
Anderson's contract is not over at the end of this year, he has 3 years left on his deal.

2012-13
2013-14
2014-15

Then he is a UFA.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:12 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

For both Edmonton and Florida...

Not only are they giving up the best player in the deal (hmm...), but the return doesn't justify making such a move. Yeah, you could make a case about value (I don't think you can), but still...

These deals just don't take the other side (Edmonton or Florida) into consideration. It would be like the Pens offering up a 1st, 2nd, and a B level prospect for Turris.

Last edited by TheRollingPuck: 08-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old
08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Sam Gagner is a third line center, and for what Zack Smith brings to a team is more valuable. Oiler fans overrate Gagner way too much. On a bad team he's a #2C, not a good one.

Bishop is better then Dubynk or Bunz.

And Borowiecki would be on the Oilers next season.

Hemsky will play 50 games this year max, wouldn't mind him though I guess.

I personally would give up Zibanejad for Gudbranson. He's a top pairing D and would solidify our D. We have depth up front and you have to give to get.
Coming from the team who calls Turris a perfect 2c, even though Gagner was drafted the same year, and has been the better player for all 5 seasons so far.

I don't mean that as a shot against Turris, but Gagner gets horribly underrated, not overrated. Oilers fans simply want to move him, because we want one of our top 2 centers to be a bigger player. If RNH were the size of Getzlaf, Gags would be a great 2c for us.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Wait, what?

It doesn't matter if a team would offer a 2nd round pick for Bunz or Roy because the Oilers need them in the system and likely wouldn't trade either for that anyway, especially Bunz. Bishop got a second because he has developed further, so yes, he is better right now, but Bunz and Roy still have the potential to be better. As in, actual NHL goalies.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Sam Gagner is a third line center, and for what Zack Smith brings to a team is more valuable. Oiler fans overrate Gagner way too much. On a bad team he's a #2C, not a good one. Gagner is a second line center. Check the top sixty centers in the NHL (not just stats either). He is among them.

Bishop is better then Dubynk or Bunz. He is not better than Dubnyk. He is better than Bunz now but Bunz certainly has more upside.

And Borowiecki would be on the Oilers next season. And who would he replace? Certainly not Whitney, J. Schultz, N. Schultz, Smid, Sutton, or Petry, and possibly not Peckham. We don't need more AHL call ups, we already have an AHL All Star in Plante, Teubert and Taylor Fedun type guys.

Hemsky will play 50 games this year max, wouldn't mind him though I guess. Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'd love to know the lotto numbers for next week

My opinion on a few things. You're right that Gudbranson for Zibanejad isn't a horrible deal though.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
supert

Quote:
So, I am not suppose to listen to respected hockey experts at TSN, or the writing staff at NHL.com but I am suppose to trust some guy I have never heard of? Some guy that cant even proof read his own work, which isn't even an article, but a slide show. Slide shows are used to show what outfits celebs are wearing. Not professional writers. He use HF for his rankings. We all know how great those are.

When Ben Bishop got traded he was leading the AHL in both save percentage and GAA.

"Bishop's numbers in the NHL have been unimpressive. He has 23 games under his belt with a 7-8-2 record."

6 of those games were in 2008/9
7 were in 2010/11.
Tell me, how well did the Blues do those years?

The only reason Bishop was in the AHL this year is because he was behind Elliot and Halak. You know them right?

What it comes down to Bishop is going to be a number 1 and I would rather keep him then the 1 night wonder and mr glassky.
What about the Oilers AHL goalie here a little information

For his efforts last season with the Barons, Danis was named the Aldege “Baz” Bastien award winner as the American Hockey League’s outstanding goaltender. He was also voted a Western Conference All Star and named the goaltender of the First Team AHL All Star Team.

Dam we got the best goalie because of what he did in the AHL........

Here another little bit of information .

Hockey Futures gives Lehner a 7.5 prospect talent score, compared to Bishop's 7.0, So you can see they even have your other goalie ranked higher

You do know experts have a say in this ,So, I am not suppose to listen to respected hockey experts . See i can do it to

Last edited by supert: 08-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Closed Thread