HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #15

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #15 Prospect?
Ben Hutton 2 1.61%
Wesley Myron 0 0%
Ludwig Blomstrand 0 0%
Matthew Beattie 1 0.81%
Steven Anthony 1 0.81%
Peter Andersson 0 0%
Kellan Tochkin 2 1.61%
Darren Archibald 1 0.81%
David Honzik 0 0%
Alex Grenier 3 2.42%
Stefan Schneider 0 0%
Bill Sweatt 8 6.45%
Prab Rai 1 0.81%
Alex Friesen 45 36.29%
Pathrik Westerholm 0 0%
Adam Polasek 34 27.42%
Jeremy Price 4 3.23%
Henrik Tommernes 22 17.74%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
Friesen
Price
Polasek
Sweatt
Tommneres
Honzik

The rest are either too recently drafted to know enough about, or are of the Rai/Tockin/Schnieder/Anthony ilk where we wait for their contracts to end.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
alternate

Went with Polasek, but it was a toss up between him and the Swede for me. I think Polasek and Tommneres have split each other's vote a bit...anyone scared off by Friesen's size relative to the role he'll need to play is going with a defensman, but have two similar (as far as prospect rating) options. I wonder how many people that voted for Tommneres would vote for Friesen in a run-off...I'd bet most would vote for Polasek.

run-off!!!

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Tommernes. Probably our most underrated prospect.
He is very underrated. According to Swedish fans, he was Frolunda's best defensemen and one of the best in the league. Really stepped up his defensive game.

Illmatic Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Bitz and Bites

Went with Tommneres due to his potential and the fact that he's developing well and getting tons of playing time in his league.We do have a number of skill D-men coming through the system so he has quite a few others he will have to pass in the depth chart if he his to make the NHL though.

Polasek is a real close second and might have a better shot due to the fact that he plays the type of physical game that we're lacking with our defence prospects and could be a very good left side complementary partner for a more skilled RH guy like Tanev,Corrado,or Price.

Friesen I don't really see a place for with Laperrier,Gaunce and Mallet ahead of him on the bottom 6 centre depth chart unless one of them ends up in the top 6.

Last edited by Bitz and Bites: 08-03-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Bitz and Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodstar View Post
I'm disagreeing with a lot of the choices done by the voters.

I think Sweatt should have been above Rodin. Rodin has more potential for sure but Sweatt has proven a lot more than Rodin has.

Tommernes should be higher than McNally. Very high TOI in the Swedish League, PPQB potential, and further along the development curve. Similar players at different points in their development.

Obviously just my opinion.
It's good to have your opinion. Don't know Tommernes but I do agree with you on Sweatt.

I think we're under ranking McNally as well

Edler Revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:16 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He was among the oldest players in the league, and hadn't improved his production in 3 years.

He's a good junior player, but PRO is a whole other level....hopefully he can make the transition smoothly (my expectations are tempered).
Probably the reason he's all the way down @ 15. If he was 18 with all these praises, he would be top 5.

His production hasn't improved much (tho it has slightly) but his defensive skill seem to have improved quite a bit over the last 2 years. Also his production 2 years ago wasn't bad and if anything makes you wonder if its a 1 year wonder but he proved he's capable of 60 points in the Jr (not saying a ton but its much better than 30 points, if he was a constant 6 point player at the time of his draft instead of 30/60 in his last 2 season, his draft position would've been quite a bit higher).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
tommernes is still spending another year in sweden, isnt he?

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:12 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Sweatt is starting to look like a true tweener. Will be okay in call ups, but won't do anything substantial to impress or to stay. He works hard, that you can tell, but doesn't really contribute enough. Personally, I don't see him in the Canuck organization after his contract is up this year.

I definitely like Rodin and even Friesen more than Sweatt though. Rodin has the kind of hands and vision Sweatt can only dream of, while having comparable defensive games. Friesen might lack some size on Sweatt, but he plays just as physical if not more. Both are at least above average skaters, but Friesen has looked good QB Niagara's PP for the past few years, good passing skills in transition, and although its tough to compare against AHL and OHL, it appears Friesen has the clear edge defensively on Sweatt as well.
100% agree.

I'm far from a big fan of Rodin, but his offensive skill package is way ahead of what Sweatt has. Sweatt has wheels and some hard work, but as described above...he's that classic 'tweener' in that he has no defined role. Not skilled enough for the top-6. Not gritty enough and/or doesn't bring enough to the bottom-6. Which also fits him into that mold of the NHL/AHL tweener. The sort of 'depth' guy who plays a few games up as a filler here and there, and that's about it.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
This better be a joke. He's about to turn 23 and he wasn't even good in the ECHL. He'll be lucky to carve out an ECHL career, let alone an AHL one.
I think Rai will do okay in the ECHL. Gets a pass for last season due to missing so much time with injuries. Probably doesn't have a great future above that level though, so shouldn't be anywhere near #15 on the prospect list.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:38 PM
thefeebster

Not sure where to put this but its a good read. Its an NHL.com article ranking our top 10 prospects with the help have Dave Gagner. Look at how we stack up:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639152

Taking out Kassian and Tanev like they did.

HFboards voters list Gagner's list
1. Nicklas Jensen 1. Eddie Lack
2. Eddie Lack 2.Nicklas Jensen
3. Jordan Schroeder 3. Kevin Connauton
4. Brendan Gaunce 4. Jordan Schroeder
5. Kevin Connauton 5. Anton Rodin
6. Frankie Corrado 6. Brendan Gaunce
7. Joe Cannata 7. Joe Cannata
8. Anton Rodin 8. Frank Corrado
9. Patrick McNally 9. Patrick McNally
10. Joseph Labate 10. Yann Sauve

Some interesting quotes in there too.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
ahahah holy **** he's high on everybody and then he gets to sauve and its just like

"well we dont expect much this year and he got hurt he might barely make the nhl"

what the hell does he think of #11

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:42 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Aside from Jensen above Schroeder and K-Conn in the top 3 I think his list is alright.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:03 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^ Interesting list, thanks for posting.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
timw33

I like what he says about Sauve. It's a very honest assessment.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Pseudonymous*

I like the comments about Rodin, definitely helps my perception of him. Looks as if he might have been ranked a little low on our list.

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote