HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Franchise Hockey Manager 2014

Old
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I got to thinking...how on earth would a relegation system work alongside a draft?

This has me utterly puzzled on the logistics...if it comes down to one or the other I'm always going to go with a draft, but I was really wanting to set up a NHL/WHA relegation system.
Just found this post by archibalduk on the EHM forums, who is currently a tester for FHM 13:

Quote:
I'm afraid promotion/relegation is unlikely to be possible for leagues with conferences/divisions. :-( It's just those leagues that are undivided (i.e. those that don't have conferences and divisions - such as the Eliterserien, etc).

01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Just found this post by archibalduk on the EHM forums, who is currently a tester for FHM 13:
That makes sense. I was just toying around with potential divisions and that issue came up...I was contemplaying having a league where everyone just plays everyone else 3-4 times and having it like a European soccer league anyway...ditching divisions/conferences wouldn't be a deterrence for me at all.

It's still the draft that could make or break relegation/promotion for me. I have absolutely no clue how that would or could work and without a draft then I have no interest in using relegation.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Archibalduk compiled what is known so far and posted it at the EHM blueline forums! Check it out!

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...p?f=23&t=10424

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

So, what do you guys plan on doing?

I'll likely do many different files, as I'll probably play the **** out of FHM, but I'm thinking of tackling 3 different games right off the bat.

1. 2012-2013 Montreal Canadiens
2. 1985-1986 Montreal Canadiens
3. 1991-1992 Pittsburgh Penguins

I still don't think historical mode is getting the hype it truly deserves. I'll say it again...think of the possibilities.

For historical mode, I think I'll set up the Penguins file first. I know, I know probably a cheap choice as they were stacked, but what can I say..this file appeals to me. I think it has to do with the fact that my father is such a huge Penguins fan, and I remember watching documentaries as a child on the club during their cup years. Oh, and I loved their jerseys. Plus..who wouldn't want that lineup?

I plan on building my club around Mario Lemieux, Kevin Stevens, Jaromir Jagr and Mark Recchi on offense, while Murphy, Coffey and Samuelsson will be the focal points on D. Of course, Recchi was traded in a deal to acquire Tocchet that season, but I plan on changing history and keeping Recchi instead.

I'll likely dangle one of Ron Francis or Joe Mullen for help on D, as my offense will be pretty stacked. Brian Leetch and Chris Chelios will likely be my top 2 targets, but I imagine the price will be steep.

I'll likely stick with a Barrasso/Pietrangelo tandem in goal, with Young waiting on my reserve list. I'll be in the market for a better backup goalie though, should any teams inquire about Pietrangelo..which is unlikely.

Oh, and I plan on inquiring about Shayne Corson. I wonder if the Habs will take Bob Errey for him straight up? I assume no. Perhaps this will be where picks/prospects come into play.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-13-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 06:38 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
So, what do you guys plan on doing?

I'll likely do many different files, as I'll probably play the **** out of FHM, but I'm thinking of tackling 3 different games right off the bat.

1. 2012-2013 Montreal Canadiens
2. 1985-1986 Montreal Canadiens
3. 1991-1992 Pittsburgh Penguins

I still don't think historical mode is getting the hype it truly deserves. I'll say it again...think of the possibilities.

For historical mode, I think I'll set up the Penguins file first. I know, I know probably a cheap choice as they were stacked, but what can I say..this file appeals to me. I think it has to do with the fact that my father is such a huge Penguins fan, and I remember watching documentaries as a child on the club during their cup years. Oh, and I loved their jerseys. Plus..who wouldn't want that lineup?

I plan on building my club around Mario Lemieux, Kevin Stevens, Jaromir Jagr and Mark Recchi on offense, while Murphy, Coffey and Samuelsson will be the focal points on D. Of course, Recchi was traded in a deal to acquire Tocchet that season, but I plan on changing history and keeping Recchi instead.

I'll likely dangle one of Ron Francis or Joe Mullen for help on D, as my offense will be pretty stacked. Brian Leetch and Chris Chelios will likely be my top 2 targets, but I imagine the price will be steep.

I'll likely stick with a Barrasso/Pietrangelo tandem in goal, with Young waiting on my reserve list. I'll be in the market for a better backup goalie though, should any teams inquire about Pietrangelo..which is unlikely.
90's flyers with Lindros and broad st. bullies era.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to take control of the team maybe a few years before the '93 Cup run, in hopes of obviously changing history.

Then I would like to take control of the Leafs after the 04/05 lockout (we can do that right?) and hopefully secure them a playoff position within a couple of years, instead of the 6+ playoff-less seasons we've seen lately.

Honestly, I'm more excited for this game than any in recent memory. I hope the release isn't far off.

01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
As a Leafs fan, I'm going to take control of the team maybe a few years before the '93 Cup run, in hopes of obviously changing history.

Then I would like to take control of the Leafs after the 04/05 lockout (we can do that right?) and hopefully secure them a playoff position within a couple of years, instead of the 6+ playoff-less seasons we've seen lately.

Honestly, I'm more excited for this game than any in recent memory. I hope the release isn't far off.
Yup, we can play any season from 1947-48 to present day, and go from there.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I'm still trying to decide what my first game will be - either picking up from 1967 and handling the growth of the league the way I would have liked it (Rockies stay in Colorado, Nordiques stay in Quebec, North Stars stay in Minnesota, expansion to Portland instead of Florida, etc.) while playing as the Penguins or a tiered global system.

The more I think about it the more I'm liking the idea of a tiered system.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I'll probably start with an Expansion team... Seattle or Portland.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Yup, we can play any season from 1947-48 to present day, and go from there.
Awesome.

Then yes, I think I'll actually first start by taking over the Leafs right after the lockout. Rebuild the team the right way, instead of quick fixes and botched opportunities.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Think I'll start in '67 as the Penguins in there first year.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
I have a few games in mind.

1) Modern Oilers: Will be my first game. Probably will be a testing one while I learn the game. Will probably restart it afterwards.

2) Oilers pre-gretzky trade: Would love to fantasize what would have happened if Gretzky stayed on the Oilers.

3) Fantasy world league: Will take lots of time to set up, but a global league with promotion and relegation is just way too appealing. Being in a game, not having to worry about the real life logistics would be great.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:32 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Cool. Looks a lot like Football Manager which I love.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:37 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Will it be possible to do the 2004-2005 season?

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
Will it be possible to do the 2004-2005 season?
Jeff has stated that yes, it will be playable with the as-planned schedule.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

And a quick note for those planning on starting with a historical season from just a few years ago - remember that historical mode and modern mode will work differently. An example being no minor leagues in historical mode...only NHL.

So, what I'm getting at is, if you want to start in 2005-2006 and play through present day, remember that once you get to 2012-2013 and beyond, you're technically still in historical mode. So although the correct players (and obviously fictional rookies in the future) will appear in the game, you won't be able to use all he features of modern mode, even though you're technically in present day.

So, for me, historical mode makes more sense if you're planning on starting quite a few years ago, or if you only plan on going for so long. If you want to start 3 or 4 seasons ago and plan on going well into the future, it probably makes more sense to just stick with modern mode.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
StormSurge9

Wow, I thought EHM would never get old, but this will likely make my EHM days a thing of the past.

First Historical Mode file? Trying to replicate the Red Wings back to back cups in 97/98

Also would like to see how the CHL is worked out, love playing junior leagues. If it's anything like EHM, I'll be happy.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
And a quick note for those planning on starting with a historical season from just a few years ago - remember that historical mode and modern mode will work differently. An example being no minor leagues in historical mode...only NHL.
Yea I know I just want to do the one or two seasons where Ottawa was stacked(2004-2005).

Old
01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
Wow, I thought EHM would never get old, but this will likely make my EHM days a thing of the past.

First Historical Mode file? Trying to replicate the Red Wings back to back cups in 97/98

Also would like to see how the CHL is worked out, love playing junior leagues. If it's anything like EHM, I'll be happy.
With the editable content I have no doubt it will be better than the last version of EHM which, as far as I'm concerned was fun but got old quick especially with the 50 ppg players every year along with the couple at a 150.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Playmaker

I *love* historical mode. It's the feature that gets me really hyped about this. Here are some teams I want to play as:

- Ducks and Panthers in their inaugural seasons. What a nostalgy trip.

- Colorado Avalanche, any era, since I'm a fan.

- Montreal Canadiens from the 93-94 season. That was the first time I played EA NHL games. Such a classic team with Muller, Bellows, Damphousse, Roy...

Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Canucks from expansion pretty much has to happen. No way it could go worse than IRL.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Canucks from expansion pretty much has to happen. No way it could go worse than IRL.
You guys could turn into the leafs.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:28 PM
RO8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
You guys could turn into the leafs.
We've followed suit with 0 cups in near 50 years.

I would probably play Canucks from the 90's though, I miss that old skate logo plus Bure would be awesome.

RO8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

My lines to start the 1991-1992 season:

Kevin Stevens - Mario Lemieux - Mark Recchi
Joe Mullen - Ron Francis - Jaromir Jagr
Bob Errey - Jiri Hrdina - Bryan Trottier
Troy Loney - Ken Priestlay - Jamie Leach
Shawn McEachern

Larry Murphy - Ulf Samuelsson
Paul Coffey - Gordie Roberts
Phil Bourque - Grant Jennings
Jim Paek
*threw this together fast, so some may be on their off side. But these are the pairs I'm initially going to go with.

Tom Barrasso
Frank Pietrangelo

I still plan on adding Shayne Corson, hopefully sending Bob Errey to the Habs with picks and prospects if needed. Also, will likely dangle Mullen for a top-4 D.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:43 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Is the game out ?

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote