HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ryan McDonagh vs Nikita Nikitin

View Poll Results: Who's got the brightest future poll: Ryan McDonagh vs Nikita Nikitin
Nikita Nikitin 26 12.81%
Ryan McDonagh 173 85.22%
even 4 1.97%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
RyanCallahan24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
you forgot Habs fans
Haha what do you mean, I thought Gomez for McDonagh was a good trade . You're saying that they're bitter?

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
McDonagh was a top pairing defenceman on the 2nd best team in the league basically as a rookie (playing in just 40 games during his 1st year)

Nikita also had more experience in playing against better than NCAA talent for 5 years prior to coming to the NHL.

Granted that time was spent in the KHL, but I would argue that there is tougher competition in the KHL than what McDonagh had to face here in the NCAA.

McDonagh's a better player today. AND his ceiling is alot higher.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

McD is overrated while Nikitin is underrated. They are close but it's still McD.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
McDonagh was a top pairing defenceman on the 2nd best team in the league basically as a rookie (playing in just 40 games during his 1st year)

Nikita also had more experience in playing against better than NCAA talent for 5 years prior to coming to the NHL.

Granted that time was spent in the KHL, but I would argue that there is tougher competition in the KHL than what McDonagh had to face here in the NCAA.

pretty much this x10

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Nikitin has been playing pro for 8 years now. THAT's why he is more proven than McDonagf for me. McD had a great ONE full year in the NHL, no doubt about it. He's a hot sh** right now... But if you look at the past. I still remember the year when Barret Jackman won the Calder. Everyone remember what Myers had done in his first year. Or Cam Fowler. We all know how these boards were obsessed about those young talented kids. But if you take a look at the next poll on these boards (top-50 defenseman) you won't find neither of them on the list. That's a tendency - often young d-men are cooling off and becoming average NHLers.
Jeez, I remember Steve Mason's first year in the NHL! Look where he's now.

People never learn that first year means a little... Nikitin proved that he can play pro game at the highest level, he's been doing that for 8 years now! McD had 1 great year and everyone is raving about him. Good for you, enjoy the moment. Let me have my based on the history doubts.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Ryan McDonagh and boy does it hurt

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
Nikitin has been playing pro for 8 years now. THAT's why he is more proven than McDonagf for me. McD had a great ONE full year in the NHL, no doubt about it. He's a hot sh** right now... But if you look at the past. I still remember the year when Barret Jackman won the Calder. Everyone remember what Myers had done in his first year. Or Cam Fowler. We all know how these boards were obsessed about those young talented kids. But if you take a look at the next poll on these boards (top-50 defenseman) you won't find neither of them on the list. That's a tendency - often young d-men are cooling off and becoming average NHLers.
Jeez, I remember Steve Mason's first year in the NHL! Look where he's now.

People never learn that first year means a little... Nikitin proved that he can play pro game at the highest level, he's been doing that for 8 years now! McD had 1 great year and everyone is raving about him. Good for you, enjoy the moment. Let me have my based on the history doubts.
and in all that rambling you just did,it still doesnt take away from the fact that McD is already better. the guys been playing as a pro for 8 years and still struggles in his own end of the ice.thats great he can score and all,but you usually want your DEFENSEman to be at least above average in their own zone too.

funny,just looked up his career stats on nhl.com and they dont even keep +/- overseas lol

his point totals dont seem all that impressive over there either.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
and in all that rambling you just did,it still doesnt take away from the fact that McD is already better. the guys been playing as a pro for 8 years and still struggles in his own end of the ice.thats great he can score and all,but you usually want your DEFENSEman to be at least above average in their own zone too.

funny,just looked up his career stats on nhl.com and they dont even keep +/- overseas lol

How Nikitin still struggled in his own zone ?

I just can't give a damn between the late "my player is better than yours" war since I'm neither a CBJ nor a Rangers fan.

McDonagh gets a deserved love and is a well known talent, no problem with this. Also, you may prefer him over Nikitin, quite fair.

But please don't say things that are just not true. The way he played last season, Nikitin is a 3 zone force.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

McDonagh is rapidly becoming grossly overrated on HF (what else is new?) but he is still clearly, clearly better than Nikitin, who is a good player himself.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
McDonagh is rapidly becoming grossly overrated on HF
i agree.every team should have defensemen who are elite shutdown defenders with the potential to score 40+ points per season.

why every team doesnt have 3 or 4 of them,ill never know

Old
08-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
i agree.every team should have defensemen who are elite shutdown defenders with the potential to score 40+ points per season.

why every team doesnt have 3 or 4 of them,ill never know
Relax. The very evident fact that McDonagh is overrated on these boards doesn't mean he's not a great player, and I certainly didn't say otherwise.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

McDonagh is overrated now, but hes good.

Nikitin is underrated, but hes good.

Simple as that.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Relax. The very evident fact that McDonagh is overrated on these boards doesn't mean he's not a great player, and I certainly didn't say otherwise.
just because a bunch of people say 1 thing on a site doesnt make it true.i dont see how hes overrated,hes only going to get better,which is scary.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:53 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
just because a bunch of people say 1 thing on a site doesnt make it true.i dont see how hes overrated,hes only going to get better,which is scary.
Myers, Jackman, Schenn, Pitkanen, Hedman also were going only to get better. I remember Pitkanen was scoring almost a point per game in his 2nd NHL year.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:14 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Myers, Jackman, Schenn, Pitkanen, Hedman also were going only to get better. I remember Pitkanen was scoring almost a point per game in his 2nd NHL year.
Um, Hedman has been getting better...

Back on topic though. I doubt very many people will be able to compare these players objectively. One player plays for one of the biggest markets in the NHL and in front of a Vezina winning goal tender. The other player plays in a much smaller market in front of probably the worst goalie in the NHL.

I'm not going to say who I think is better because I honestly don't know. Their circumstances are too different to get an accurate comparison from stats, and I don't watch nearly enough of their games (mainly Nikitin) to get an idea of how each player plays.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
sure,some players regress after their 1st season,but that doesnt mean every player does.some players bounce back after a bad 2nd year,case in point,Michael Del Zotto

Old
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Nikitin is underrated in the sense that he's a bona-fide top 4 defender, and not some fringe NHLer some people would assume he is just because he plays for Columbus, but McDonagh is a bona-fide #2 and he's three years younger. My Russian homerism just can't come to terms with the obvious discrepancy in talent.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:46 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Not so much people knew this already, I applaud you sir for this knowledge and advanced stats will certainly not disagree you neither. their numbers together were impressive.

McDonagh-Girardi was impressive too. A great pairing, no doubt about it.
Jackman-Polak was the most effective defensive pairing in the league just a few seasons ago. Neither are top pairing defensemen. "Advanced stats" really aren't all that advanced.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Jackman-Polak was the most effective defensive pairing in the league just a few seasons ago. Neither are top pairing defensemen. "Advanced stats" really aren't all that advanced.
Your comment doesn't make any sense.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:18 AM
bizzz*

Quote:

Are you retarded? That's a pure stupidity. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Not sure if serious...
Easily, McDonagh AINEC.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Your comment doesn't make any sense.
Let me clarify:

About 3 seasons ago, maybe 4 my memory is a bit fuzy, advanced stats had the Barrett Jackman and Roman Polak pairing (top pairing on the Blues at the time) as the best defensive duo in the league.

They clearly weren't. When one starts using stats that are derived from formulas that contain unreliable variables (+/-, SOG, hits, blocks, GvA, TkAs, etc.) the results are just as unreliable. Then there are the variables that the player has very little control over but still affect their advanced stats, such as Saves.

That said, Nikitin developed quite nicely once he finely was on a team that had someone that spoke the same language. It is closer than many on here are making it out to be, but the answer is still McDonagh

Last edited by bluemandan: 08-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.
bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Corey Perry*

Ryan McD by far

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Let me clarify:

That said, Nikitin developed quite nicely once he finely was on a team that had someone that spoke the same language. It is closer than many on here are making it out to be, but the answer is still McDonagh

Well, with this I totally agree.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Are you retarded? That's a pure stupidity. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Games Played Goals Assists Points

2002-2003 Avangard-34 3 7 10
2003-2004 Omskie -34 3 8 11
2004-2005 Avangard-12 0 0 0
2004-2005 Omskie-31 3 8 11
2005-2006 Avangard-43 1 2 3
2005-2006 Omskie-1 0 0 0
2005-2006 Russia-WJC-6 0 0 0
2006-2007 Avangard-54 1 15 16
2007-2008 Avangard-57 3 11 14
2008-2009 Avangard-53 4 11 15
2009-2010 Avangard-43 4 9 13

2010-2011 Peoria Rivermen-AHL 22 3 11 14
2011-2012 Blues 7 0 0 0
2011-2012 Blue Jackets 54 7 25 32

NHL Totals 102 8 33 41

His stats playing overseas were marginal at best as shown above.his NHL stats are better,but theres no guarantee he wont regress next year.since you seem to put McD in the regressing category,i think its only fair that your guy goes in there as well.for all we know,last year might have been a fluke year for him offensively when you look up the numbers hes put up in the past.

but hey,keep on insulting people,that will surely prove you right and them wrong.

as for his defense,i watched over 40 BJ games last year,and hes adequate at best in his own zone.playing with a good defenseman like Tyutin helped to cover up his many mistakes.