HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Buffalo

Old
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
CanadienKid25

vCash: 50
Montreal - Buffalo

Its been quite awhile since I've done a proposal, don't be shy

To Montreal : 2013 UFA - 3mil - Robyn Regehr (conditional on waiving NMC)

To Buffalo: Michael Bournival + 3rd + Rights to switch 2013 first rounders

I figure Regehr is 5th in ATOI / game last year for the Sabres need to move a Dman anyways, so he may want a bigger role with Montreal as they have question marks on defence (Markov come back to true form?, Kaberle continue his accountable play?, Emelin hits a sophmore slump?). We could use the toughness and blocked shots too. If everything works out, it makes Weber more expendable as well.

Bournival is a C+/B- prospect, the 3rd adds a sprinkle of value, and the rights to swap #1's next year is the enticing bit for Buffalo.

Both teams are looking to improve to playoff teams this year.

Is the value there or does Regehr warrant a more quality return?

CanadienKid25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Value is probably there..... But I have no interest in moving Regehr.

I doubt he'd want to waive his NMC anyways since he picked up his family and moved last year.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Pure garbage for Montreal.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:39 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 View Post
Its been quite awhile since I've done a proposal, don't be shy

To Montreal : 2013 UFA - 3mil - Robyn Regehr (conditional on waiving NMC)

To Buffalo: Michael Bournival + 3rd + Rights to switch 2013 first rounders

I figure Regehr is 5th in ATOI / game last year for the Sabres need to move a Dman anyways, so he may want a bigger role with Montreal as they have question marks on defence (Markov come back to true form?, Kaberle continue his accountable play?, Emelin hits a sophmore slump?). We could use the toughness and blocked shots too. If everything works out, it makes Weber more expendable as well.

Bournival is a C+/B- prospect, the 3rd adds a sprinkle of value, and the rights to swap #1's next year is the enticing bit for Buffalo.

Both teams are looking to improve to playoff teams this year.

Is the value there or does Regehr warrant a more quality return?
You can't send money as part of trades last time I checked?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

No chance Regehr waives again this quickly and I can't see the Sabres doing it anyways.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:44 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I'd be for it without the option to swap draft picks.

Habs D would be

Markov-Gorges
Regehr-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin

Ex.Bouillon,Daiz or Weber

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Absolutely not from Buffalo. Regehr's one of our best and most consistent defensemen and he won't waive his NMC again, not that we'll ever ask him to and want to trade him anyway. He likes Buffalo and it's his and his family's home. He's off-limits for those reasons. That and he provides all the things the Sabres have been trying to add more of this offseason, not subtract.

Reggie's not available for trade, plain and simple. If we're trading a defenseman, it'll be someone like Leopold or Weber (highly unlikely considering the Ott connection).

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Tra La La

I'd do it in heartbeat. Swapping firsts could be huge. And Regehr is a pending UFA.

Last edited by Tra La La: 08-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I'd be for it without the option to swap draft picks.
So why would Buffalo do it, then? After all, you're a Habs fan not a Leafs fan, right?

Regehr might not be what he once was, but he's still pretty damn valuable.

Best case he's a 2nd pairing shutdown behemoth who strikes fear in the hearts of his enemies, protects the wives, children and elderly, is respected within the community and fights terrorism as well as communism.

Worst case, we've got ourselves a physical veteran 3rd pairing d-man who can mentor the young ones and teach Brad Marchand some manners.

So, I ask you, why trade him?

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:19 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
So why would Buffalo do it, then? After all, you're a Habs fan not a Leafs fan, right?

Best case he's a 2nd pairing shutdown behemoth who strikes fear in the hearts of his enemies, protects the wives, children and elderly, is respected within the community and fights terrorism as well as communism.

Worst case, we've got ourselves a physical veteran 3rd pairing d-man who can mentor the young ones and teach Brad Marchand some manners.

To be honest I'm not sure how to reply to this.

I don't think the Sabres would trade him, but that doesn't mean Mtl has to overpay.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:20 PM
CanadienKid25

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post

1. Trade him because he is 5th in ATOI
2. He is a UFA at years end
3. Free's up actual $$(not cap hit) for Doan
4. Potential to move up in what is perceived as a strong draft class

I thought the trade had some merit

CanadienKid25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:39 PM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 View Post
1. Trade him because he is 5th in ATOI
2. He is a UFA at years end
3. Free's up actual $$(not cap hit) for Doan
4. Potential to move up in what is perceived as a strong draft class

I thought the trade had some merit
I was replying to the guy who didn't want to swap 1st rounders. And I may or may not have used some irony. Btw. if you find some, you can keep it

Actual cash is all but a non-factor for the Sabres since Pegula took over. And Doan isn't very likely to sign with Buffalo, anyway, tbh.

Moving up in the 2013 draft would be nice and, in fact, the only enticing thing about this trade proposal. But even that might not be enough for the Sabres to even consider trading Regehr.

After all, I'm of the impression that the Regehr trade was not just about getting a coveted player, but primarily about establishing a certain culture of doing business.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Edgeworth*

if I'm Buffalo I say hell yes. McNabb will be coming up and Regehr would be more or less regulated to sub-15minutes wouldn't he? The option to switch first rounders is amazing. If Montreal sucks, which could totally happen, you get a shot at a lottery pick for a pending UFA.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Meh, I probably wouldn't do on the 1st round swap, although I expect Montreal to be in the 8-12 overall range and not the 1-5 range. I like Regehr, but Montreal isn't in a position to contend (where a short-term contract like Regehr's would be helpful) and I'm fairly certain Regehr is at a point in his career where he'll be looking to sign with a contender, or at least a team farther along than Montreal.

Basically, Montreal isn't a great target to trade a rental to.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Pass from montreal. No interest in that 1st round swap and habs have a bunch of D on 1 way deals, how will this work?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Hell I like regher but why not, this isnt our year anyways, keep building the future

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Regehr actually performed the role Buffalo wanted him for last year and did it well. I don't see the incentive to deal him, regardless of his contract status and the enticement to potentially swap 1sts isn't nearly juicy enough.

No thanks from Buffalo.

08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
sabrescupbound

That's a tough one. I'd love the pick but the Sabres identity has changed to an ungentler, nastier Sabres. And Reiger taking guys to the boards all the time is a big part of that. He may not be the best defensemen, but guys hate playing against him.

sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Neither team says yes.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
tsujimoto74

There's no reason for Buffalo to do this, and Regehr won't waive his NTC.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
As much as I'd like Regher I'm extremely happy Buffalo fans say no. I would hope that if bergevin proposed this DR says no on the spot. Not because I'm a buffalo fan(obviously not) but because this can be catastrophic for the habs. If that pick is a lottery pick, oh boy... Not to mention, habs have these guys on 1 way contracts:

Markov
Subban
Emelin
Diaz
Boullion
Kaberle
Gorges
Weber

With top prospects like

Beaulieu
Tinordi

who may or may not surprise and look like call-up material.

Add Regher and then what? we don't have the capspace, we don't have a good team to justify trading the future for a rental and we just will have too many D.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I feel like the only deal that the Sabres would involve Regehr in would be something moving him back to Calgary. They made it a pretty big deal going out and meeting with him, trying to convince him to come be a part of something in Buffalo, etc., so I just don't think they'd turn around and make him move again. Even if it was a trade back to the Flames, I could still only see it as something like him re-signing in Buffalo but sending him back there near the end of his deal.

Ignoring that and just looking at the value, still wouldn't do it. Not the player he once was but his style of play is what the Sabres have lacked forever and would be in need of it again in the event they traded Regehr.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
As much as I'd like Regher I'm extremely happy Buffalo fans say no. I would hope that if bergevin proposed this DR says no on the spot. Not because I'm a buffalo fan(obviously not) but because this can be catastrophic for the habs. If that pick is a lottery pick, oh boy... Not to mention, habs have these guys on 1 way contracts:

Markov
Subban
Emelin
Diaz
Boullion
Kaberle
Gorges
Weber

With top prospects like

Beaulieu
Tinordi

who may or may not surprise and look like call-up material.

Add Regher and then what? we don't have the capspace, we don't have a good team to justify trading the future for a rental and we just will have too many D.
What's the worse it could have turned out for the Habs. You get a D that was showing signs of pillar in the ice syndrome. And we get Nathan Mackinnon. (JK) It would have been a bad deal for Montreal IMO. But I'd have said hell yeah.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Regehr actually performed the role Buffalo wanted him for last year and did it well. I don't see the incentive to deal him, regardless of his contract status and the enticement to potentially swap 1sts isn't nearly juicy enough.

No thanks from Buffalo.
Accurate explanation.

I'd also be quite surprised if Regehr signs anywhere else next summer. I think staying in Buffalo will be his top priority and there's no reason to believe we won't re-sign him well before July 1st, 2013 anyway, as long as he doesn't slow down too much and his play doesn't regress before then. He means a lot to this team and the organization and is very well-liked as a person and player.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Hahaha.. what the hell?

First of all, Bournival is an awesome prospect. Secondly, we are giving away a potential Top-10 1st rounder for Robyn Regehr? Seriously? Plus, we throw a 3rd rounder just for fun?

A horrid proposal, IMO.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote