HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Buffalo

Old
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 View Post
1. Trade him because he is 5th in ATOI
2. He is a UFA at years end
3. Free's up actual $$(not cap hit) for Doan
4. Potential to move up in what is perceived as a strong draft class

I thought the trade had some merit
Cash is not an issue. Pegula is one of the richest owners in the league who has no problem spending lavishly on players, facilities, etc (as shown by major front-loaded deals for Ehrhoff and Myers). He has no problem cutting checks for 10M+ to a player in the first year of a deal.

Regehr was also 1st in PK ice time for the Sabres...he has a role and he plays it. He doesn't have to eat minutes. He plays PK and the tough minutes against top opposition (along with Sekera). Ice time is not an issue.

Plus just in terms of balance on our blue line, I don't think we'd move the bigger, physical Regehr. A guy like Leopold is far more likely to be moved because we have Myers, Ehrhoff, and Sekera as puck movers with Brennan/Pysyk/JGL in the stable. Plus the whole theme of this offseason was to become a tougher team to play against--trading Roy for Ott, signing Scott to handle the heavies, drafting a ton of big, physical players. Regehr fits into that.

IMO Regehr could very easily be re-signed next summer, so no reason to move him now. UFA status isn't terribly important.

As for potential to move up? I wouldn't think it's enticing enough to part with Regehr--who would improve Montreal and therefore likely make their pick later.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Habsrback

Would be a fair deal for both if Montreal was in Cup contention, but in the current situation, Bergevin would be crazy to pay that price.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:46 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Would be a fair deal for both if Montreal was in Cup contention, but in the current situation, Bergevin would be crazy to pay that price.
No, it wouldn't. Bournival + 3rd =/= Regehr. Regehr has a role in Buffalo and he plays it well, and there's not anything there worth giving that up for.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:55 AM
HiddenInLight

After all pegula personally went through to get regehr to waive in the first place he might just implode if regier shopped regehr. Sorry but he wont be traded.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra La La View Post
I'd do it in heartbeat. Swapping firsts could be huge. And Regehr is a pending UFA.
Actually with him moving his family to Buffalo its quite likely he is fine staying in buffalo at a hometown team discount....he doesnt want to move his family again.

i am not worried about Regher being a UFA.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:15 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Neither team says yes.
Agreed.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Cannonball0828

I do this if I'm Buffalo. Swapping first rounders could be huge and Regehr is a UFA at the end of the year anyway. I don't think Buffalo is ready to make a run at the cup this year anyways, so they just load up more for the future.

Cannonball0828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball0828 View Post
I do this if I'm Buffalo. Swapping first rounders could be huge and Regehr is a UFA at the end of the year anyway. I don't think Buffalo is ready to make a run at the cup this year anyways, so they just load up more for the future.
I don't see that much difference between a healthy Montreal and Buffalo to warrant it at this point. In fact, a key injury (say Miller) for Buffalo with the questions they already have down the middle and this could be the Sabres lottery pick going the other way. No thanks.

08-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't see that much difference between a healthy Montreal and Buffalo to warrant it at this point. In fact, a key injury (say Miller) for Buffalo with the questions they already have down the middle and this could be the Sabres lottery pick going the other way. No thanks.
I think the proposal was Buffalo would get the option to swap firsts. I would hope if Buffalo's pick was the lottery? They would decline the option.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:13 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I think the proposal was Buffalo would get the option to swap firsts. I would hope if Buffalo's pick was the lottery? They would decline the option.
Exactly. It's buffalo's option, not Montreal's. That's deal breaker for me.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Exactly. It's buffalo's option, not Montreal's. That's deal breaker for me.
I didn't catch it as the option, so yeah, I get that the risk is all on Montreal and that would make it a non-starter from the Habs' perspective.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Never ever move a 1st round pick when you just finish the previous year in the bottom 5. That's not gambling, that's pure stupidity.

I understand Montreal was an improbable bottom 3 team but still.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Neither team says yes.
This guy gets it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote