HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would it take Toronto to get Upshall?

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2005, 11:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
But he can play professional, and has for the last couple of years. I'm not saying that Weber wouldn't make it but there still is the possibility.

It was just a proposal. I'm just a fan of Upshall. I also liked what I saw of Weber at the WJC. Nashville fans are always posting that they need a skilled centerman, and Stajan could potentially fill the role. I appreciate Stajan's talents and abilities, I just didn't like how he was thrown around last year (like a ragdoll). Sure he could gain the weight, but he still seemed timid playing amongst NHL calibre players. I know it was his first full year, but you have to play like a man to stay in the big leagues.

and i agree that nashville should throw a LITTLE extra in with upshall to make the deal happen...but throwing shea weber in is throwing A LOT extra in. klein, stehlik, hutchinson, niskala are all solid prospects(with klein and hutch toward the higher end) that WOULD be available, but weber is the only d-man in that mold that we even have, and is hands down our number 3 prospect, behind only suter and radulov.

Old
01-18-2005, 12:07 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
and i agree that nashville should throw a LITTLE extra in with upshall to make the deal happen...but throwing shea weber in is throwing A LOT extra in. klein, stehlik, hutchinson, niskala are all solid prospects(with klein and hutch toward the higher end) that WOULD be available, but weber is the only d-man in that mold that we even have, and is hands down our number 3 prospect, behind only suter and radulov.

Ok, I didn't realize that Nashville was as depleted with prospects as we have been. I would have thought Weber would have been ranked amongst the top 10, but not in the top 5. Thats just shows how much I know about Nsh prospects. Any other suggestions?

Old
01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Upshall, as a gritty right wing with scoring touch(something the Preds have in spades) is probably one of our best trading chips. What we need is a center, and this deal was actually thrown around with some Toronto fans on our board a while back.

to NAS: Stajan(young center with second line potential, ideal to play behind Legwand)
to TOR: Upshall(Gritty second-third line Ryan Smyth type)
Andrew Hutchinson(explosive offensive d-man, behind only Kronwall(and only by a point in less games) for AHL defensive scoring title and with an impressive showing in limited NHL time)

Hutchinson hurts almost as bad as Upshall to deal. He's a guy that tends to be underrated simply because no one really knows who he is, but he's big(6'2, 205) has a laser-accurate cannon of a shot, young(24) and is pretty much NHL ready now. If Toronto wasn't interested in Hutch, something could probably be swung to make it Kevin Klein instead.
You forgot to mention Hutchinson's defense. He doesn't have NHL caliber defensive instincts. He reminds me a lot of John Slaney.

Even your team page(which hasn't been updated in a while) has him at a 5.0 prospect rating, and 18th on the list behind Suzler.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...50&hubname=NAS

Old
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
You forgot to mention Hutchinson's defense. He doesn't have NHL caliber defensive instincts. He reminds me a lot of John Slaney.

Even your team page(which hasn't been updated in a while) has him at a 5.0 prospect rating, and 18th on the list behind Suzler.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...50&hubname=NAS

Hutchinson is closer to Mark Eaton than John Slaney...and Eaton went from being absolutely dreadful defensively to our best defensive d-man in one season's time simply by hitting the weight room hardcore. Hutch doesn't lack the instincts or positioning, he's simply a little weak in the upper body, though even if he didn't get better defensively it's not like he'd be the only great offensive d-man that was less than stellar defensively.

Old
01-18-2005, 03:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

As for the rankings...bear in mind that George did them in a "worst case scenario" as opposed to the "unbridled optimism" way that some pages were done..and like you said..it's been a while since they were updated. A lot of those will change when we get a new writer. Some will go lower...but some will go higher, Hutch's probably included.

Old
01-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
I like Upshall, but I can't see him being anymore than a 3rd line guy. Maybe a 2nd/3rd line guy at some point in his career... but mostly on the 3rd line.

just like stajan.

Old
01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
As for the rankings...bear in mind that George did them in a "worst case scenario" as opposed to the "unbridled optimism" way that some pages were done..and like you said..it's been a while since they were updated. A lot of those will change when we get a new writer. Some will go lower...but some will go higher, Hutch's probably included.

i watched plenty of Hutch at MSU. He didn't impress me there, and his stint in the NHL didn't either. I just dont think he has what it takes.

Old
01-18-2005, 03:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
i watched plenty of Hutch at MSU. He didn't impress me there, and his stint in the NHL didn't either. I just dont think he has what it takes.

To be fair, his rookie season in the AHL\ECHL, which would have come after his time at MSU...was pretty bad. he's improved by leaps and bounds, and while I think he's going to be lost in the shuffle in Nashville, where there's a ton of offensive d-men with considerably more upside..he could make a good #5-6 for another team...with lots of power play time. He wasn't spectacular in his time in Nashville last year, but he didn't look out of place, either.

Old
01-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Ok, I didn't realize that Nashville was as depleted with prospects as we have been. I would have thought Weber would have been ranked amongst the top 10, but not in the top 5. Thats just shows how much I know about Nsh prospects. Any other suggestions?
Nashville isn't depleted in prospects. His point was that while they have a ton of defensemen prospects, Weber's style is a rarity in the Preds system therefore he is not likely to be moved. And as an impartial fan in this discussion I'd have to agree. The big, mean, stay at home defensemen have proven their worth in the playoffs in the last decade, I don't think Nashville parts with their only notable prospect of that ilk.

Other suggestions? You'd probably have an easier time acquiring a guy like Kevin Klein who seems to be a bit redundant in the Nashville system. He's still a good prospect but I can't see how Nashville could play all those young defensemen at the same time so somebody probably has to go.

Old
01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
just like stajan.
Stajan's upside is a bit higher than Upshall's. He proved his offensive capabilites last season as a 20 year old.

Old
01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Stajan's upside is a bit higher than Upshall's. He proved his offensive capabilites last season as a 20 year old.
Upshall actually has a lot more offensive potential than..pretty much anything else he has. His numbers reflect his one weakness...his inability to stay healthy. Upshall started last year scoring like it was going out of style and was rolling along this year as well...actually was one of the top contenders to make the team in Nashville among prospects. I think that..IF he can stay healthy(and it's that IF that necessitates throwing in a bonus like a defenseman in this deal) than Upshall should have no problems matching Stajan's output.

Old
01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
I believe Upshall (especially after witnessing what he did at the WJC a few years back) that he will one day captain a team and mold himself into a Michael Peca type player. I realize that we (the Leafs) already have a similar player in Tucker, but he always seems to be involved in any and all trade rumours that come Toronto's way. I personally would like to have both. That's just my 2 cents.

A little late - but lol, Tucker a Mike Peca?????

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

01-19-2005, 08:30 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
A little late - but lol, Tucker a Mike Peca?????

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tell me how they are not similar players.

Old
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

because Peca is a Selke winner\widely accepted as one of the best defensive forwards in the league..and Tucker is an agitator that can chip in a few goals. They're on completely different plateaus.

Old
01-20-2005, 03:44 AM
Pepper

Quote:
The fact that you are asking that question tells me that it's not worth the time.

Any hockey fan who can't tell the difference between Tucker & Peca needs to start paying much more attention.

Old
01-20-2005, 06:21 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
The fact that you are asking that question tells me that it's not worth the time.

Any hockey fan who can't tell the difference between Tucker & Peca needs to start paying much more attention.
I said they were similar, NOT identical. For sure I would rather have Peca, and I do believe he is the better player of the two. Man, if you can't see that(that they are similar) maybe you should watch some HOCKEY. And stop watching the crap your watching.

Old
01-20-2005, 06:31 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
I said they were similar, NOT identical. For sure I would rather have Peca, and I do believe he is the better player of the two. Man, if you can't see that(that they are similar) maybe you should watch some HOCKEY. And stop watching the crap your watching.
What if he's an adult movie critic?

I think you'd be wrong.

Old
01-20-2005, 06:40 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
What if he's an adult movie critic?

I think you'd be wrong.
Nice

Closed Thread