HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby's trainer: "He's been symptom-free"

Old
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That's also an excellent point.
I've never really given this a lot of thought. I wonder how they would have fared. On the one hand, the smaller ice and more physical game might not have treated those guys well over the course of an 82-game season. On the other hand, they were ostensibly in much better shape than their NA counterparts, so perhaps they would have actually fared extremely well. Very interesting to contemplate...

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Nobody EVER put a body on Gretzky. Two reasons: They would get the **** kicked out of them by McSorely or Semenko.
Gretzky rarely got hit simply because he was the most slippery player in the NHL. He had his enforcers. So did several other superstars, they just weren't as elusive as Gretzky.

Really, Semenko was a deterrent because he was a great heavyweight, but you're acting like he was in a league of his own or that other stars around the league didn't have bruisers who were every bit as tough as Semenko, which is misinformed. This is a time where guys like Dave Brown and Clarke Gillies played, and wouldn't give two ***** about having to fight Semenko.

Never mind that McSorely was never an overly-feared fighter, and Gretzky still put up 168 points when he came to a terrible Kings team.

Quote:
Gretzky was one of very few "athletes" playing in the NHL at the time. He trained, and he took care of himself. Guys used to smoke between periods, and drink beers in the locker room. As a whole, the NHL was full of beer league players back then.
Gretzky was a pipsqueak. Let's not pretend he was the picture of a modern pro athlete, even if he didn't indulge vices like many hockey players back then.

Quote:
The goalies rarely took away the lower part of the ice, had much smaller pads, and weren't nearly the level of athlete guys back in the 90's were, let alone today.
Same goalies everyone else was shooting on.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 08-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
spcastlemagic

"Why don't you ever try to hit Gretzky?"

"I AM TRYING!!!"

- every defenseman/fan interaction in the 80s

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Shady Machine

I'm still waiting for this supposed evidence that Crosby's best goal scoring days are behind him.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

If Sid's shot is the same as it was before the concussion I don't see why he couldn't push for 60 goals.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Til the End of Time

crosby is coming back from a traumatic brain injury.

most players, including the successful ones, change their game somewhat upon returning from such injuries.

we've only seen crosby play a handful of games since his return. and in those games he wasn't soft, but he also seemed to have returned to more of a passer mentality. it is a small sample size though.

but it seems logical that crosby would alter his game and maybe avoid the more dangerous areas of the ice, which happens to be where he scores most of his goals.

plus young phenoms tend to peak in terms of goal scoring in their early twenties.

i dont think its unreasonable to suggest his wont score 50 goals anytime soon. i dont really care tho as long as he produces points.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Crosby went to the dangerous areas and tried to pick fights with people in the playoffs. He's not gonna change his game, his injuries have been flukes.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Kimble View Post
Crosby went to the dangerous areas and tried to pick fights with people in the playoffs. He's not gonna change his game, his injuries have been flukes.
that remains to be seen. fluke or not, bad luck or good luck, they were serious injuries. it would be stupid not to change his game somewhat. that doesnt mean becoming an inferior player.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
crosby is coming back from a traumatic brain injury.

most players, including the successful ones, change their game somewhat upon returning from such injuries.

we've only seen crosby play a handful of games since his return. and in those games he wasn't soft, but he also seemed to have returned to more of a passer mentality. it is a small sample size though.

but it seems logical that crosby would alter his game and maybe avoid the more dangerous areas of the ice, which happens to be where he scores most of his goals.

plus young phenoms tend to peak in terms of goal scoring in their early twenties.

i dont think its unreasonable to suggest his wont score 50 goals anytime soon. i dont really care tho as long as he produces points.
What does a passer mentality have to do with being less physical? I'm not really sure what to say about the rest of this other than I disagree.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
What does a passer mentality have to do with being less physical? I'm not really sure what to say about the rest of this other than I disagree.
to score goals like he does he will have to go to the dirty areas in front of the net. if he plays more of a playmaker role he can avoid some of that. he'll still be tough in the corners and such, like he was.

i just think he needs to play a bit smarter overall. we saw him seek out scrums and after the whistle crap on his first return, which i did not like. crosby himself even said he was probably too aggressive during his first comeback. thats why he toned things down a bit the second time around. i dont like him trying to pick fights with people, seems stupid to me.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
to score goals like he does he will have to go to the dirty areas in front of the net. if he plays more of a playmaker role he can avoid some of that. he'll still be tough in the corners and such, like he was.

i just think he needs to play a bit smarter overall. we saw him seek out scrums and after the whistle crap on his first return, which i did not like. crosby himself even said he was probably too aggressive during his first comeback. thats why he toned things down a bit the second time around. i dont like him trying to pick fights with people, seems stupid to me.
I agree with all of that. The point where I disagree is that any of that means he will score less goals. If he is going into the corners to fight and dig for pucks, he's going to go in front of the net to score. The after whistle scrums and all of that will be less, but to me that has nothing to do with scoring goals.

Plus he's Crosby. If he can change his game, he can learn to be a better scorer off the rush or in other situations, etc.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
I agree with all of that. The point where I disagree is that any of that means he will score less goals. If he is going into the corners to fight and dig for pucks, he's going to go in front of the net to score. The after whistle scrums and all of that will be less, but to me that has nothing to do with scoring goals.

Plus he's Crosby. If he can change his game, he can learn to be a better scorer off the rush or in other situations, etc.
we shall see.

its not an unreasonable opinion to think his goal scoring may decrease, at least for a season or so.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Just got back from Watching Sid practice.

Was flying out there smiling and having a lot of fun. He was mostly playing, scrimmaging, and doing drills with Beau Bennett.

Bennett's hands are def. there, but his skating and most importantly his foot speed needs A LOT of work.

It was crazy how many pens, former penguins and prospects were out there today.

Sid, Dick Park, Mike Comrie, BB, Dustin Jeffery, and two or so other players I couldn't really identify.

Other NHLers practicing today were Perros, Ryan, Miller, Stoll, I think David Krejci

Was a lot of fun and nice to see Sid flying and completely owing people in practice.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post

Was flying out there smiling and having a lot of fun. He was mostly playing, scrimmaging, and doing drills with Beau Bennett.

Bennett's hands are def. there, but his skating and most importantly his foot speed needs A LOT of work.

Sid, Dick Park, Mike Comrie, BB, Dustin Jeffery, and two or so other players I couldn't really identify.

Other NHLers practicing today were Perros, Ryan, Miller, Stoll, I think David Krejci

Was a lot of fun and nice to see Sid flying and completely owing people in practice.

Thanks for the write-up. Where was this ?

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Saku11

Quote:
i dont like him trying to pick fights with people, seems stupid to me.
Thats his game though and i dont see it changing. He is very charged up and aggressive out there. 9 out of 10 times it results in him playing a great game and the one time he takes a stupid penalty or starts rough stuff with someone. And thats the way i see it will be.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Thanks for the write-up. Where was this ?
Toyota Sports Center. The practice facility of the Kings.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
People do nothing by trash this guy, yet Sid and his camp have nothing but positive things to say about him? Wonder which side is correct: direct quotes from the best player ever or speculative fans/media?
The correct people are the people who recognize he is not a medical expert (by any reasonable definition) and that people can be duped into believing they're being helped by hype + placebo effect. IMO Sid and his parents got duped and probably realize as much by this point. Also Sid is not going to say anything negative about the guy that he can't definitively prove otherwise he would be sued into oblivion and lose.

I believe half the reason Carrick does what he does is for the hype factor and the possibility of earning settlements off of athletes and others who might speak out afterwards. The guy is bordering on being an absolute con-man IMO.

Quote:
The nature of that particular injury seems extremely difficult to diagnose/treat without a dedicated MRI machine. Since the treatment involved actually getting neck surgery, I'm not sure what more Dr. Carrick could have done?
This is your whole problem. He's not a doctor or anything close to being a doctor. What he could've done is stop mis-representing who he is, and get the hell out of the way. He has no medical degree, never went to medical school AFAIK. The person who prescribes your flu medication every winter is more qualified to talk about Sid's physical health and condition than Carrick, even if he's only dealt with a handful of concussions his/her whole career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post

Great update. Thanks!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Saku11

Come on guys, this device doesent look suspicious to me at all im sure it cures concussions like hell.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Great update. Thanks!
no problem!

Old
08-07-2012, 12:34 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
This is your whole problem. He's not a doctor or anything close to being a doctor. What he could've done is stop mis-representing who he is, and get the hell out of the way. He has no medical degree, never went to medical school AFAIK. The person who prescribes your flu medication every winter is more qualified to talk about Sid's physical health and condition than Carrick, even if he's only dealt with a handful of concussions his/her whole career.
Crosby is the one who came to Dr. Carrick, not the other way around. They knew what they were getting with Dr. Carrick (not an MD) and still chose to go to him. Not sure how he mis-represents himself as he claims to be a chiropractic neurologist (whatever that may be), not a medical doctor. He has a PhD and graduated from chiropractor school, so if your issue is with him calling himself "Dr.", sorry but he earned it.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Crosby is the one who came to Dr. Carrick, not the other way around. They knew what they were getting with Dr. Carrick (not an MD) and still chose to go to him. Not sure how he mis-represents himself as he claims to be a chiropractic neurologist (whatever that may be), not a medical doctor. He has a PhD and graduated from chiropractor school, so if your issue is with him calling himself "Dr.", sorry but he earned it.
He is not a doctor. He has not earned being called a doctor. There's no room for argument there. His own website does not call him a doctor, because he isn't one.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...tic-neurology/

This article by Steven Novella specifically addresses Crosby going to this guy. I can't imagine how you are not sure how he misrepresents himself, but simultaneously acknowledge that he claims a meaningless title with hazy, scientific-sounding implications, but unless you're a complete idiot this should clear things up.

Last edited by Fordy: 08-07-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:52 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
He is not a doctor. He has not earned being called a doctor. There's no room for argument there. His own website does not call him a doctor, because he isn't one.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...tic-neurology/

This article by Steven Novella specifically addresses Crosby going to this guy. I can't imagine how you are not sure how he misrepresents himself, but simultaneously acknowledge that he claims a meaningless title with hazy, scientific-sounding implications, but unless you're a complete idiot this should clear things up.
Thanks for the insight. Perhaps this could be of use to you: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:08 AM
JTG

Physical therapists are also Dr's

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:51 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Perhaps this could be of use to you: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy
Well, by your impeccable logic, in 9 months, I shall be able to not only treat Sidney Crosby, but treat you. And my medicine is cruel.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Perhaps this could be of use to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote