vCash: 457
They are good at repetition sports.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

vCash: 500
I was watching the mens 1500m today and they were talking about the Chinese guy who was the favorite to win gold. They said that Chinese officials picked him out when he was young because he was tall and had the body for swimming. I wonder if these kids even have a choice or if they are forced to train and compete.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I was watching the mens 1500m today and they were talking about the Chinese guy who was the favorite to win gold. They said that Chinese officials picked him out when he was young because he was tall and had the body for swimming. I wonder if these kids even have a choice or if they are forced to train and compete.
They were saying in 2008 that the government would pay parents for their kids to take part in gymnastics

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't trust the Dailymail.

Also to the above person (sabresfan129103), what is wrong with finding the right person for the right sport? I agree they shouldn't be forced into anything, but guiding a kid towards a sport he or she might excel in seems like the logical thing to do. Again, there is a difference between guiding and forcing.

I just feel that North America has a preconceived notion that everything China does is somehow suspect, and that Chinese (same with Koreans) athletes are somehow forced to be great at their respective sport.

The article was shoddy, and I can't believe I find myself defending China when I hate them with a passion since my best friend is Chinese and keeps rubbing their success in my face.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:03 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Having visited there a couple of times for work, China has changed immensely over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, most people believe whatever propaganda that the media feeds them. I say go visit China and make your own judgements. You'd be surprised.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
AvsPredsFan19

The people are awesome but the government....not so much. Those pictures are disgusting.

Last edited by AvsPredsFan19: 08-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.
AvsPredsFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
I would have said because they have over 1 billion people so that increases there chances of having great athletes.

Last edited by Justified: 08-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Don't trust the Dailymail.

Also to the above person (sabresfan129103), what is wrong with finding the right person for the right sport? I agree they shouldn't be forced into anything, but guiding a kid towards a sport he or she might excel in seems like the logical thing to do. Again, there is a difference between guiding and forcing.

I just feel that North America has a preconceived notion that everything China does is somehow suspect, and that Chinese (same with Koreans) athletes are somehow forced to be great at their respective sport.

The article was shoddy, and I can't believe I find myself defending China when I hate them with a passion since my best friend is Chinese and keeps rubbing their success in my face.
Every few years it is a different boogeyman:

First it was the commie, cold, robotic Russians. Later on, it was those dastardly Japanese and their ancient and mysterious ways. After that, it was those cave-dwelling, brown terrorists. Now it is those brutal, oppressive Chinese. Who will be next? Those suave, hairy, cologne-ridden South Americans? Maybe if the Indians get their act together, it will be them: first they come for our tech support, then the sport glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Having visited there a couple of times for work, China has changed immensely over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, most people believe whatever propaganda that the media feeds them. I say go visit China and make your own judgements. You'd be surprised.
You and your common sense have no place here! North American/European mainstream media does not do propaganda. Why? Because it is democratic, that is why!

Now if you people will excuse me, I will now go to Breitbart/Fox News and read from a fair and balanced news source on how Obama is the devil incarnate and is plotting to take everyone's guns away.

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
crt

By being the most populous country in the world?

crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I would have said because they have over 1 billion people so that increases there chances of having great athletes.
India?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
India?
They are all about Cricket. They dont count .

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Slopo

China may have changed but that doesn't mean the practice of taking kids from their parents at a young age has (Russia does this too, but I'm not sure how greatly nowadays).

The mentality of winning at all costs is evidenced by the article I posted about a diver's family hiding her grandparents' deaths for several years and her moms bout with cancer as well.

Slopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:49 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Romania used to do it with their gymnasts as well. I remember Sports Illustrated had a pictorial of their training area before the 96 games in Atlanta and it was basically the same gist (though without the crying children). A bunch of female kids bending their bodies like pretzels and basically doing their own chores because they didn't live with their families.

All that said, I remember reading about Nadia Comaneci (who Bela found on a school playground) and how she was grateful for everything because she feels she was treated and ate better than many of the other kids when she was growing up. It was a rough life, but an idea that it could've been rougher. Considering how expensive all this training is (even some US athletes have had their parents move across country for them or have to send them elsewhere while they stayed behind), some of them are probably lucky they were chosen as opposed to what could have been.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 08-03-2012 at 11:54 PM.
KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
xi du

When you're poor and have a hungry mouth to feed, you do what's necessary. Those kids are fed, clothed and educated. At least they will grow up being of sound mind and body and will appreciate what they have in life compared to kids in the US.

xi du is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Shoddy journalism.

It feels like Scott Templeton wrote it.
(heads up, "The Wire" tribute!)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Eisen

OMFG, pictures of children training hard in a shoddy environment.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:49 AM
clefty
What?

I like that they post an image of the swimmer, Yi Shewen. She's forced to train in the ghastly hellhole known as......

Gold Coast, Australia.

The Horror.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Then I see no reason why you two should remain friends.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:50 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

This is simply a culture clash.

The Chinese begin training when younger than everyone else. They also train a lot harder than everyone else. They are very good in repetition sports and since they train younger and harder, they are so much better in these repetition sports. IE: Math (, sort of).

The only thing that should be in question is does China "force" kids to become athletes. That is the only issue.

Of course since the Chinese have such a big population there will be "Freaks" that can compete in sports not considered repetition sports.

Diving, Gymnastics, Badminton, Table Tennis, etc. Repetition sports.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Yeah its definitely a culture clash to have children taken from their homes and forced into slavery to perfect some 'sport' they might not even like.

Quote:
Yeah its definitely changed the rich have more money and the poor are just as poor.

Quote:
China may have changed but that doesn't mean the practice of taking kids from their parents at a young age has (Russia does this too, but I'm not sure how greatly nowadays).

The mentality of winning at all costs is evidenced by the article I posted about a diver's family hiding her grandparents' deaths for several years and her moms bout with cancer as well.
The USSR did it I'm not too certain Russia has done it in the last 20 years.

Quote:
When you're poor and have a hungry mouth to feed, you do what's necessary. Those kids are fed, clothed and educated. At least they will grow up being of sound mind and body and will appreciate what they have in life compared to kids in the US.
You know these kids were taken away from parents unfit to care for their children?

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Daily Mail

Who takes Daily Mail seriously?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:38 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Western Culture: "Kids decide what sports they like"
Asian Culture: "Government guides kids into a sport they think their body type will succeed in"

It's pretty obvious why the Chinese do so well in the Olympics reading it like that. The Chinese get the advantage to pick and choose and train at a younger age. The US get the advantage of stronger body types.

The Asian culture don't think of it as "slavery", where as we obviously think it's too harsh. Culture Clash.