Old
08-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Western Culture: "Kids decide what sports they like"
Asian Culture: "Government guides kids into a sport they think their body type will succeed in"

It's pretty obvious why the Chinese do so well in the Olympics reading it like that. The Chinese get the advantage to pick and choose and train at a younger age. The US get the advantage of stronger body types.

The Asian culture don't think of it as "slavery", where as we obviously think it's too harsh. Culture Clash.
You think families bite their tongues for National pride? You don't think they care about their children being taken? Not "guided" Taken and forced into something.

How about we take your 4 year old first born and make them train their whole life for weightlifting or wrestling. Then we they fail we can put them in a camp and put your whole family to shame.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
You think families bite their tongues for National pride? You don't think they care about their children being taken? Not "guided" Taken and forced into something.

How about we take your 4 year old first born and make them train their whole life for weightlifting or wrestling. Then we they fail we can put them in a camp and put your whole family to shame.
Would I get money? Then go ahead and take.

edit: ridiculous stereotypes

Last edited by Eisen: 08-04-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:18 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Would I get money? Then go ahead and take.
Exactly. If they were taken without any compensation then it would surely be slavery. These parents have every right to say "no, **** off."

These kids will be fed, clothed, educated, and their families will live a much easier life. The parents aren't being held at gun point.

In North America, because of social convention (a different convention than what China has), we are completely against the fact of "buying children to train them for a sport". In China, because of their own social convention, the families are bettering both themselves, and their children. The country gets what they want, and the parents do what is ultimately best for both.

What you are also not considering is that, the kid has every right to quit should they not like the sport. It is a contract, that the government makes with the family. Of course the government (should they see a very prospectful child) will try to change the childs mind, but that's just them keeping talent.

We(western culture) feel that you can't push your athletes to the pain that is shown in the article because it is "cruel". That is social convention(western). In China, that is not "cruel" and is a matter of practising harder than everyone else.

Here's a small comparison. In school when studying for a big final, many people(western) value rest over over-studying. The Asian culture is different, they think the more practice the better, and that you should persevere over that.

The reason why we are so disgusted by this article is because of different cultures/social conventions clashing.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Spinkis

And then they kick our buts.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:50 AM
zorz

I think there are some real pictures mixed with fakes in that article (for example the first one). That's a good way to make propaganda, to add some truth to into it. Of course I don't know that, but it is a possibility. I don't blindly trust western media.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Sotty

I'm sorry to burst some bubbles here, but that article and the pictures are not exaggerated at all. Many well respected journalists reported pretty much the same for years.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:54 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I think there are some real pictures mixed with fakes in that article (for example the first one). That's a good way to make propaganda, to add some truth to into it. Of course I don't know that, but it is a possibility. I don't blindly trust western media.
So says the man with the Nazi avatar.

The way that the Chinese run their sports programs isn't much different from the stories that have come out of the communist bloc. The difference is that they have no qualms about getting outside assistance or going abroad to train if necessary.

Those familiar with China's preparations for Vancouver 2010 know that too well.

DoyleG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Ceremony
There is Only You

vCash: 18974
And yet they still don't have any hockey players.

(ps the Daily Mail is nonsense, come on)

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:06 AM
SirKillalot

Well. Some nations have pre-arranged marriages. And others have pre-arranged careers.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:40 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Having visited there a couple of times for work, China has changed immensely over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, most people believe whatever propaganda that the media feeds them. I say go visit China and make your own judgements. You'd be surprised.
What part of China?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:11 PM
xi du

Quote:

You would have a point if the Chinese government forced the parents to surrender their kids, but this is done voluntarily. You think that the rich Chinese parents send their kids to sports academies? No they don't. Families do it because it's their best chance for the family to succeed. At least the government is doing something for the kids rather than let them run around without any parenting to grow up and become some gangbanger.

xi du is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I would have said because they have over 1 billion people so that increases there chances of having great athletes.
The scary thing about China is that their recent success is probably only the tip of the iceberg of what's to come

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:12 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Western Culture: "Kids decide what sports they like"
Asian Culture: "Government guides kids into a sport they think their body type will succeed in"

It's pretty obvious why the Chinese do so well in the Olympics reading it like that. The Chinese get the advantage to pick and choose and train at a younger age. The US get the advantage of stronger body types.

The Asian culture don't think of it as "slavery", where as we obviously think it's too harsh. Culture Clash.
Its not Asian culture, the communist do this because they view and portray their victories as victory of the communism over capitalism. The Russians did it, and now they don't and aren't as dominant in the Olympics as they were in the past.

Also the fact people are acting like this story isn't true are unbelievable. Its a proven practice of many communist regimes including China.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Wish I had been forced into doing sport as a living and winning a gold medal at the Olympics. Tough life

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:57 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
What part of China?
Shanghai, Tianjin, and Guangzhou mostly. The major cities.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Shanghai, Tianjin, and Guangzhou mostly. The major cities.
Only a small part of China though.

From those pictures they were taken in Nanning that's nearly 1000miles from Shanghai, 1243m from Tianjin and 314m from Guangzhou.

You only saw a small part of China far away from where this took place.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Its not Asian culture, the communist do this because they view and portray their victories as victory of the communism over capitalism. The Russians did it, and now they don't and aren't as dominant in the Olympics as they were in the past.

Also the fact people are acting like this story isn't true are unbelievable. Its a proven practice of many communist regimes including China.
And Americans never portrayed their Olympic successes as political victories over Communism...

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

Maybe they just want to win.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
zamo86

Quote:
Soviet Union should not be mixed up with Russia alone. Ex-Soviet countries (including Russia) has won 16 gold, 20 silver and 30 bronze medals on this Olympic games which isnt bad at all. By the end of the games the "Soviets" will probably have about 25-30 gold and around 80-90 medals all togheter. So nothing is changed in that department.

Another thing. There is no proof that Chinese children are being forced to do sports and that is just rambling from the western tabloids that cant admit their athletes are not number 1

zamo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:08 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I wouldn't of minded being pushed to a level like that to succeed when I was younger in sports tbh.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The weirdest thing... I check the medal count and am an occasional watcher - but I have yet to see China win a medal. Yet.. they are winning the damn thing!

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The weirdest thing... I check the medal count and am an occasional watcher - but I have yet to see China win a medal. Yet.. they are winning the damn thing!
China is dominating the sports that they're supposed to. It helps that many of them (such as badmitton, table tennis, diving, etc.) have a ton of opportunities to medal. The U.S benefits in a similar way from swimming and track & field.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Skallagrim

Quote:

Get your fact straight before the senseless bashing. Kids at around 7~8 who excel in sports or are in general good physical condition are invited to organized training. Most don't last for more than a year (I was one of them). You can withdraw at any time too. Those that do well get send to higher and higher level with all expenses paid. A classmate of mine made the national swimming team, unfortunately wasn't one of the better ones to make the Olympics.

The training itself can be harsh, and I don't see any problem with it.

Skallagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:43 PM
HotPie

A thread of American's vilifying the Chinese in order to rationalize their inferior status to them at the olympics.

How quaint.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
A thread of American's vilifying the Chinese in order to rationalize their inferior status to them at the olympics.

How quaint.
....with butt hurt Canadians not far behind!

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote