How China stays winning at the Olympics

Old
08-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
China can keep winning all the medals they want in diving , ping pong, and badminton for all I care...
That's pretty much the point. Only during the Olympics do we get worked up over such inconsequential ****. I say let the Chinese have their day in 20K racewalking and the like!

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 08-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:05 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

China at present has an immensely powerful economy and a burgeoning middle class that is the largest in the world.

But no, their Olympic prowess is attributed to a couple of photographs via perhaps the most deplorably inflammatory and arrogant media in the western world.

The Chinese press should run with images and videos of Western parents berating and abusing players and referees at their kid's Little League games.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
China at present has an immensely powerful economy and a burgeoning middle class that is the largest in the world.

But no, their Olympic prowess is attributed to a couple of photographs via perhaps the most deplorably inflammatory and arrogant media in the western world.

The Chinese press should run with images and videos of Western parents berating and abusing players and referees at their kid's Little League games.
Do those images make it through the Chinese firewall though?

Old
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
Yeah that is kind of weird. The Chinese Women had a decent team in the 90`s but now both squads suck.
why is it weird, is China good in any team sport?

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Population size is an advantage that China has.

Specific body type is an advantage that America has.

Freaks of nature (by Asian standards) are more apt to appear if you have a larger amount of people to choose from.

I worded it incorrectly. American body types gives America a unique advantage. I just believe that the sheer amount of numbers that the population offers and the absurd amount of money the government throws at its potential athletes outweighs our genetic superiority.

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.
I understand the concept of a "chinese" body type which is akin to most mongoloid skeletal types. The height isn't there in most cases as is the skeletal structure to support large muscle masses.

But what exactly is the "American" body type. I'm left scratcting my head. I do notice a disproportionate amount of black athletes in track (mainly running) and a disproportionate amount of Caucasian athletes in aquatics. But it's usually across all countries. What body type does America have that Australia, Canada, Great Britain, and Germany, and Russia don't have?

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:37 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
why is it weird, is China good in any team sport?
Nothing for men.
The women used to be good at volleyball and soccer.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
I understand the concept of a "chinese" body type which is akin to most mongoloid skeletal types. The height isn't there in most cases as is the skeletal structure to support large muscle masses.

But what exactly is the "American" body type. I'm left scratcting my head. I do notice a disproportionate amount of black athletes in track (mainly running) and a disproportionate amount of Caucasian athletes in aquatics. But it's usually across all countries. What body type does America have that Australia, Canada, Great Britain, and Germany, and Russia don't have?
There really isn't an "American" body type. I think what the poster was getting at is the typical American is considerably bigger and stronger than the average Chinese.

Old
08-07-2012, 06:03 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I think what the poster was getting at is the typical American is considerably bigger and stronger than the average Chinese.
And fatter.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:46 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Do those images make it through the Chinese firewall though?
That joke doesn't even make sense.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:09 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallagrim View Post
Swimming as well. I wasn't one of the best at it but definitely could last longer in the system had I choose to. I ended up focus on my school work and 20+ years later I don't regret it as I'm about to get my PhD later this year.
Goodness, quite the decision. I once quit a sport when I was younger, but it was due to me not liking the coach, schooling probably never crossed my juvenile mind. And congrats on the PhD, which was more difficult, that or the training as a kid?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
And fatter.
Where are you from?

Old
08-08-2012, 04:49 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Offering some insight here since I think I'm one of the few people here who have had first hand experience with Chinese sports training.

I was a swimmer from middle school up till my first 2 years in college. I lived in Hong Kong when I was in high school, and for two summers I had an opportunity to spend 2 weeks in Kunming and Dongguan's sports institutes to train with the local swim team.

During those times I had never seen any form of child abuse or whatever garbage the article was spewing. The equipment and living conditions were slightly run down, but definitely nothing out of the ordinary. We did do a lot of painful stretching with trainers because swimmers have to be limber and I'm sure I made faces similar to those kids, but never did it come close to being considered as abuse. In between training sessions, we'd lounge around, read some books, or play ping pong or something. Overall, an intensive but rewarding experience.

From what I experienced, I can tell you that their training is on par with the training I received in the US...we ran similar programs and did 2 sessions a day plus a bit of land training. The biggest difference that I noticed was that when training in China, they focused a lot more on technique, whereas in the states, we did a lot more strength training.

Yes, it's true that the Chinese have a disadvantage when it comes to things like height and strength (for men at least). But they've identified that weakness and compensate for it by working on their technique and endurance. That's why you see Chinese swimmers excel more in certain events but seldom see them do well in sprints where height and strength play a huge role.

This was back during the late 90s, I think right before the Chinese started investing a lot more resources on sports training. I'm sure things have advanced even more since then. Still keep in contact with some of the people I met there, a few have gone into coaching and the rest hold regular jobs.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:53 PM
The ORB

Some of the ignorant xenophobic BS in this thread is laughable.

And the Daily Mail, like most British tabloids is full of utter, inflammatory, twisted, hateful, garbage.

My daughter's hockey club hosted (along with several other Ontario teams) the Chinese women's hockey team when they were living over here in the 6 months leading up to the Vacouver Olympics and played against them, I didn't see any tortured, terrified, oppressed young ladies on that team. Just a bunch of young women excited to be playing a game they love, meeting new people, making new friends and experiencing a new culture, leading up to representing their country in the Olympic Games.

The ORB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:22 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
Offering some insight here since I think I'm one of the few people here who have had first hand experience with Chinese sports training.

I was a swimmer from middle school up till my first 2 years in college. I lived in Hong Kong when I was in high school, and for two summers I had an opportunity to spend 2 weeks in Kunming and Dongguan's sports institutes to train with the local swim team.

During those times I had never seen any form of child abuse or whatever garbage the article was spewing. The equipment and living conditions were slightly run down, but definitely nothing out of the ordinary. We did do a lot of painful stretching with trainers because swimmers have to be limber and I'm sure I made faces similar to those kids, but never did it come close to being considered as abuse. In between training sessions, we'd lounge around, read some books, or play ping pong or something. Overall, an intensive but rewarding experience.

From what I experienced, I can tell you that their training is on par with the training I received in the US...we ran similar programs and did 2 sessions a day plus a bit of land training. The biggest difference that I noticed was that when training in China, they focused a lot more on technique, whereas in the states, we did a lot more strength training.

Yes, it's true that the Chinese have a disadvantage when it comes to things like height and strength (for men at least). But they've identified that weakness and compensate for it by working on their technique and endurance. That's why you see Chinese swimmers excel more in certain events but seldom see them do well in sprints where height and strength play a huge role.

This was back during the late 90s, I think right before the Chinese started investing a lot more resources on sports training. I'm sure things have advanced even more since then. Still keep in contact with some of the people I met there, a few have gone into coaching and the rest hold regular jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ORB View Post
Some of the ignorant xenophobic BS in this thread is laughable.

And the Daily Mail, like most British tabloids is full of utter, inflammatory, twisted, hateful, garbage.

My daughter's hockey club hosted (along with several other Ontario teams) the Chinese women's hockey team when they were living over here in the 6 months leading up to the Vacouver Olympics and played against them, I didn't see any tortured, terrified, oppressed young ladies on that team. Just a bunch of young women excited to be playing a game they love, meeting new people, making new friends and experiencing a new culture, leading up to representing their country in the Olympic Games.
My faith in HFBoards has been somewhat restored. I thank you both.

For the rest of the sheltered fools on this board, get out and live a little. Experience the world. Learn and enjoy other cultures. From the sounds of it most of you will be shocked. Your world's will be turned upside down. Like, ZOMG!! "Our" way of doing things is somewhat different, but not really better or worse!!!! Like WTF! How could this be!!!!!????

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post

This is also very true indeed. Chinese people tend to be detail oriented people. So technique and skill are strongly emphasized in training. That is why China does well in sports involving strong technique (gymnastics, diving, weightlifting, shooting, etc.)

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
sabrefan27

Well the US is well on their way to blowing past the Chinese in medals anyway.

China wins the medals no one cares about. They win mostly judged events that can be subjective.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post

China wins the medals no one cares about. They win mostly judged events that can be subjective.
Weak trolling attempt.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Weak trolling attempt.
He may or may not be trolling, but I do think it's funny that everyone was crowning China after the first week when they won't even finish first in the medal count.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
He may or may not be trolling, but I do think it's funny that everyone was crowning China after the first week when they won't even finish first in the medal count.
Quote:

That's picture book trolling

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Who was crowning China? I find it funny that so many Americans were attempting to detract from the Chinese effort when it seemed possible that their medal victory was in doubt.

The funny part is no one gives a damn about the total medal count.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:34 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Weak trolling attempt.
Uh no. The fact is, more people care about swimming and athletics than they do badminton and table tennis. It's not incorrect that China excels at more obscure events.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
zorz

Quote:
Uh no. The fact is, more people care about swimming and athletics than they do badminton and table tennis. It's not incorrect that China excels at more obscure events.
But to say nobody cares about those events is totally incorrect. And I think the meaning of the Olympics is that every gold/silver/bronze medal has the same value. The US is leading now, so there is no reason to put down China's results.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 0
Quote:
Uh no. The fact is, more people in the Western world care about swimming and athletics than they do badminton and table tennis. It's not incorrect that China excels at more obscure events.
Fixed it for you. Badminton and table tennis are huge in Asia and the last time i checked there a lot of Asians on this planet.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:44 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
Fixed it for you. Badminton and table tennis are huge in Asia and the last time i checked there a lot of Asians on this planet.
Obviously I was exaggerating. I hope no one took the words "no one cares" literally.

The US excels at the major events of the Olympics more so than China. Is that better for you overly sensitive people?

Old
08-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 0
Quote:
Obviously I was exaggerating. I hope no one took the words "no one cares" literally.

The US excels at the major events of the Olympics more so than China. Is that better for you overly sensitive people?
Not sure why you have to pull out the sensitive people ******** but whatever.

I was solely stating that swimming and athletics might be huge in the US and Europe, but there are other parts of the worlds where different sports are also very popular just like badminton and table tennis and China. And there are 1.34 billion Chinese on this planet. Saying no one cares is simply ignorant. The US are great at sports they care about and the Chinese are great at sports they care about.

And us Germans are great with any sports that has a paddle.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote