HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Olympics talk

Old
08-07-2012, 02:02 PM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
It's called a sports bra.

In non-breast news, FIFA is 'investigating' comments the Canadian players made about the referee after yesterday, threatening suspensions for the bronze medal game.

I really hope they realize the Canadians had legitimate beefs and let them play.
The Canadians really do not have a very legitimate beef, since a number of calls went their way as well, including a couple of non-calls in their own penalty box, and a clear corner taken away from the US. They could also have been playing a player down if the referee was not so forgiving. Besides, the indirect free kick and ensuing hand ball were the correct calls.

However, I hope they realize that those comments, one in particular, were made just after a gutwrenching loss in which both sides gave everything they had. Hopefully, no Canadian player is suspended for the bronze medal game, especially since the main offender was the person who scored their hat trick. Maybe an appropriate apology could forestall any possible suspension.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:22 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Which rule is that? You could argue the indirect free kick given but that handball was about as clear by the rules as you can get. It was not deemed intentional, or she would have been given a red card for doing that in the box. However, it was a handball.
There is no such thing as unintentional handling of the ball. If a handball is called, by the Laws of the Game it is ruled a deliberate touch.

In my opinion, the Canadian player was turning her body to protect herself from the shot when the ball hit her forearm. In my view, that's not a handball, but the referee thought otherwise, and that's the only opinion that matters.

It's not clear as day. It's a judgement call.

Further, a red card for a handball in the penalty area only occurs by deliberately handling the ball to take away a clear goal or goal scoring opportunity.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
jfb392

Quote:
First, I agree completely that the game was poorly called on both sides. The US could easily have been awarded 2 pk's, plus numerous other situations.

However, the holding of the ball was one thing the referee got right. McLeod had been warned, and it was quite egregious. In the first half she had handled the ball too long on numerous occasions. When she was finally called for it, she had held the ball for 10 seconds. Incidentally, Solo got called for the same thing a few years ago. As for the ensuing handball, that was the correct, and easy call.
The call may have been by the book, but it wasn't needed and if it was going to be called, it should have been called strictly.
If it was called strictly though, things would have gotten out of hand:
Quote:
neatebuzzthenet Just had someone tell me McLeod held the ball 6 sec. or longer 3 times in the same. Hope Solo did it 8 times. Just sayin'. #Olympics #canWNT
http://twitter.com/neatebuzzthenet/s...53319897456640

So yeah, it's by the book, but it happens in every game and is never called.
To pull it out then is just ridiculous.
The spirit of the rule is to make sure that the GK can't just sit there with the ball infinitely.

And here's why it happened:
Quote:
neatebuzzthenet Not a soccer guy, but the great Abby Wambach influencing Norwegian ref just means W-SOC is the NBA. Stars get calls. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/olym...st-canada.html
http://twitter.com/neatebuzzthenet/s...86500776374273

So much drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Came here not to post that, but to say my curiosity was piqued by everyone's comments yesterday, and wonder if there will be a rebroadcast. Internet search hasn't turned up anything yet....
I looked on NBCOlympics.com and didn't find anything, but if you want to find and use a Canadian proxy, CTV has a replay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Yeah, I know. I've never liked that it was called like that, since the rule reads otherwise.

Or it could have been that I was always terrible at soccer.
I hate the call too.

In this case it particularly bad because I believe women are taught to protect their chest in these situations like men are taught to protect themselves.

Quote:
Which rule is that? You could argue the indirect free kick given but that handball was about as clear by the rules as you can get. It was not deemed intentional, or she would have been given a red card for doing that in the box. However, it was a handball.
A handball is deliberate contact of the ball with the arm or hand.

Unintentional contact or instinctively protecting yourself is not a foul by the rules and should never be called, IMO.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Beerz

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...st-canada.html

During the second half, with the U.S. frantically trying to speed up the game while attempting multiple comebacks, Wambach began running near referee Christiana Pedersen and counting off the seconds that McLeod held the ball. She said she often got to 10 and into even the teens.

"I wasn't yelling. I was just counting," Wambach revealed Tuesday during an interview at the team hotel. "Probably did it five to seven times."

The last time came in the 78th minute, with Canada trying to milk a 3-2 lead. McLeod made a save, and Wambach began counting again.

"I got to 10 seconds right next to the referee, and at 10 seconds she blew the whistle," Wambach said.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
The call may have been by the book, but it wasn't needed and if it was going to be called, it should have been called strictly.

The spirit of the rule is to make sure that the GK can't just sit there with the ball infinitely.

https://twitter.com/neatebuzzthenet/...86500776374273

So much drama.

I looked on NBCOlympics.com and didn't find anything, but if you want to find and use a Canadian proxy, CTV has a replay.

I hate the call too.

In this case it particularly bad because I believe women are taught to protect their chest in these situations like men are taught to protect themselves.

Unintentional contact or instinctively protecting yourself is not a foul by the rules and should never be called, IMO.

Per FIFA.

A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. This refers to a player either attempting to protect himself from injury, for example by placing the hands in front of the face and then being hit by the ball, or a player being hit on the arm by the ball without moving towards the ball and without being able to move out of the way. An example might be a snap shot hitting the arm of a defender at point-blank range. However, if a player's arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not.

Her arm was in an unnatural position... She flared her arm elbow out to block the shot... It's CLEAR AS DAY... it's a handball.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
aceface33

Quote:
The goalkeeper is supposed to control the ball with her hands, including bouncing it to herself, for no more than six seconds. In many ways, it's a laughable rule: U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo is one of the quickest in the game at getting rid of the ball, but it's not unusual to see her go over that limit.

But McLeod pushed the rule to the extreme. The first time she caught the ball Monday night — off a deflected header — she held it for 17 seconds before punting it away. A couple of minutes later, she controlled it for 16 seconds. There was another 16-second possession later in the half as she cradled the ball, gave it a bounce, walked forward and directed traffic.

"Their plan is to slow down the game," U.S. coach Pia Sundhage said. "If I put myself in (their coach's) shoes, it's about game management, slow down the game and you feel like you have a chance to win against the States."
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...ss-to-u-s.html

As much as I hate to question "natebuzzthenet".

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I still think Tancradi's head-stomp in the penalty area that was flat out missed was just as much of a deciding factor since she's the second most dangerous Canadian on their team, not to mention having to play a player down for an extended period. It likely would've spelled an outright US win.

And for all of Herdman's carping about illegal play, the ones doing the evident holding, grabbing and stomping were the Canadians.

08-07-2012, 03:42 PM
LucilleAustero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I still think Tancradi's head-stomp in the penalty area that was flat out missed was just as much of a deciding factor since she's the second most dangerous Canadian on their team, not to mention having to play a player down for an extended period. It likely would've spelled an outright US win.

And for all of Herdman's carping about illegal play, the ones doing the evident holding, grabbing and stomping were the Canadians.

That was brutal.

Someone should ask Herdman what he thinks about this "highly illegal tactic"?

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

All USA final in women's beach volleyball.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

http://twitter.com/neatebuzzthenet/s...86500776374273

So much drama.

I hate the call too.

This from the the guy that keeps pushing the drama in this thread. I know you hate all things American when it comes to Canada -vs- USA but let it go already.

The were numerous missed calls on both teams. The worst being Carli Loyd getting stomped in the face by Tancradi. A play that would have been a red card had any offical seen what happened.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleAustero View Post

That was brutal.

Someone should ask Herdman what he thinks about this "highly illegal tactic"?
I'm a little surprised Tancradi was able to finish out the game without getting tossed. The stomp on Carli Loyd's face was hardly the only incident. As Chain pointed out, her cross body block on O'Reilly. Tancradi and her "mates were fouling all over the place and got away with quite a lot. Her play certainly added to the drama but a better called game has her tossed well before the end.

The Canadians tried to pound the US into submission with hard fouls, cheap shots, clutch and grab tactics throughout the game. It almost worked. I do find it funny that the same poor officiating that allowed them to get away with playing that way is being blamed for their loss. Had the game been called tighter, I highly doubt they would have been in the game to the extent they were.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-07-2012 at 04:36 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
BowieSabresFan

"A handball is deliberate contact of the ball with the arm or hand.

Unintentional contact or instinctively protecting yourself is not a foul by the rules and should never be called, IMO."

That may be your opinion, but you're not interpreting the rule correctly. If the handball had been deemed deliberate, it would have been an immediate red card because it was in the box. That is the rule. However, what she did do was bring her arm up in an unnatural position, and that is what she got called for. A handball is not necessarily for deliberate contact. Incidentally, the ball hit two Canadian players in the arm/hand on that kick.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

This from the the guy that keeps pushing the drama in this thread. I know you hate all things American when it comes to Canada -vs- USA but let it go already.

The were numerous missed calls on both teams. The worst being Carli Loyd getting stomped in the face by Tancradi. A play that would have been a red card had any offical seen what happened.

Not to mention Alex Morgan being accosted in the penalty area .... The Canadian defender had her hand in Morgans' shorts holding her ... I saw that happen quite a few times as US players were running down the wing with the ball.

The ball going out of bounds at the end line was a bad call but it didn't amount to anything and the linesman was on the opposite side of the field ..it's not hard to miss a call like that.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
"A handball is deliberate contact of the ball with the arm or hand.

Unintentional contact or instinctively protecting yourself is not a foul by the rules and should never be called, IMO."

That may be your opinion, but you're not interpreting the rule correctly. If the handball had been deemed deliberate, it would have been an immediate red card because it was in the box. That is the rule. However, what she did do was bring her arm up in an unnatural position, and that is what she got called for. A handball is not necessarily for deliberate contact. Incidentally, the ball hit two Canadian players in the arm/hand on that kick.
This; if the ball was to hit someones hand and stop a cross for a clear goal scoring chance, it's going to be a penalty even though the defender obviously didn't mean to block it with his/her hand.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:14 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
This; if the ball was to hit someones hand and stop a cross for a clear goal scoring chance, it's going to be a penalty even though the defender obviously didn't mean to block it with his/her hand.
Yep, that part of the FIFA rule reads..

"However, if a player's arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

Hence the "accidental" part of the handball, while still being a foul.

Old
08-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Yep, that part of the FIFA rule reads..

"However, if a player's arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

Hence the "accidental" part of the handball, while still being a foul.

I heard a US player had the ball hit her hand/arm earlier in the game... I didn't see it. They're complaining about that not being called as well....anyone know if her hands/arms were at her side or outstretched/unnatural position?? Again i missed that play.

Last edited by Beerz: 08-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I heard a US player had the ball hit her hand/arm earlier in the game... I didn't see it. They're complaining about that not being called as well....anyone know if her hands/arms were at her side or outstretched/unnatural position?? Again i missed that play.
Her arm was down at her side. That was just fine. Folks will complain that one was called and not the other, but they were two entirely different scenarios.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:10 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
I can't believe people are actually trying to say the 6-second call was the correct call. Aboslutely no freaking way is that the right call. Even though it favored the US it honestly made me a little sick that a ref would insert herself into a game like that. Almost every time a goalkeeper gets the ball and doesn't immediately throw he/she will have the ball for 10 seconds. On the play, she wasn't even off the ground until half the time was up, with players all around her. She has to give time for her teammates to get down field after a corner before she punts the ball. And nobody is sprinting downfield.

If the ref thought she was taking an inordinate amount of time (and they were nowhere near that point when she blew the foul, IMO) she should have carded her. This happens far more often than giving an indirect in an absurdly danergous area.

I didn't think it was a handball, either. It looked to me to be in line with the defender and it was instinctual self-defense. To call that after the above is incredibly harsh.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I can't believe people are actually trying to say the 6-second call was the correct call. Aboslutely no freaking way is that the right call. Even though it favored the US it honestly made me a little sick that a ref would insert herself into a game like that. Almost every time a goalkeeper gets the ball and doesn't immediately throw he/she will have the ball for 10 seconds. On the play, she wasn't even off the ground until half the time was up, with players all around her. She has to give time for her teammates to get down field after a corner before she punts the ball. And nobody is sprinting downfield.

If the ref thought she was taking an inordinate amount of time (and they were nowhere near that point when she blew the foul, IMO) she should have carded her. This happens far more often than giving an indirect in an absurdly danergous area.

I didn't think it was a handball, either. It looked to me to be in line with the defender and it was instinctual self-defense. To call that after the above is incredibly harsh.
I was surprised at the "delay of game" call. You very, very rarely see it called. By the book though, it was probably a correct call, especially if you take into context what McLeod had been doing all game. Still, if I was the Canadians, I would have been a tad upset about that one.

The handball was an easy call though. You can't pull your arm up, stick the elbow out at that angle, and expect anything other than the call that was made.

Still, the Canadians got away with an awful lot that game, so they can't complain too much.

I can't wait for the Japan/US game tomorrow. If it is only half as entertaining as the US/Canada game, it will be a great one.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

200M final is at four PM yes? Watchin that live on the iPad. None of this tape delay ****

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:35 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
I was surprised at the "delay of game" call. You very, very rarely see it called. By the book though, it was probably a correct call, especially if you take into context what McLeod had been doing all game. Still, if I was the Canadians, I would have been a tad upset about that one.

The handball was an easy call though. You can't pull your arm up, stick the elbow out at that angle, and expect anything other than the call that was made.

Still, the Canadians got away with an awful lot that game, so they can't complain too much.

I can't wait for the Japan/US game tomorrow. If it is only half as entertaining as the US/Canada game, it will be a great one.
"By the book" is not the way to go about it in this case. The rule is simply not inforced. There's a reason that even the US analyists who are involved in the sport have said that this was a brutal call. It is mostly people unfamiliar with the sport trying to defend it.

And no, the handball was not "an easy call". There are plenty of shades of gray when it comes to handball, and the shot being in-line with the defender with the arms coming up in self-defense is certainly one of them. Of course with you still defending the delay of game call, I sense a bit of bias here.

Hopefully this ref doesn't get anymore major international assingments. The 6 second-rule fiasco should be enough to keep her out of these events....not to mention how awful she was the rest of the game.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:01 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

A great article on the sexpot that is the summer Olympic village. Makes me want to take up something like racewalking.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
"By the book" is not the way to go about it in this case. The rule is simply not inforced. There's a reason that even the US analyists who are involved in the sport have said that this was a brutal call. It is mostly people unfamiliar with the sport trying to defend it.

And no, the handball was not "an easy call". There are plenty of shades of gray when it comes to handball, and the shot being in-line with the defender with the arms coming up in self-defense is certainly one of them. Of course with you still defending the delay of game call, I sense a bit of bias here.

Hopefully this ref doesn't get anymore major international assingments. The 6 second-rule fiasco should be enough to keep her out of these events....not to mention how awful she was the rest of the game.
According to TSN, she's been sent home. Rightfully so.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
So boxing is actually fixed. Not just bad refs. Like Azerbaijan paying 9 million to AIBA for medals. And myriad random matches drawing showers of boos on terrible decisions.

**** AIBA. **** IOC.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Boxing is odd -- wouldn't the IOC want the best possible fighters for the games rather than a bunch of unproven amateurs? If the same rules apply that saw baseball get nerfed -- that the best players don't participate -- why not give boxing the heave too? Odd double standard.

Oh, and the Hungarians just lost in men's waterpolo. Italy wins it by 1... and no 4-peat for Hungary.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote