HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Summer '12 Prospect Rankings: #6

View Poll Results: Who's the best Jackets prospect of the 5 listed?
Matt Calvert 11 20.37%
Michael Chaput 10 18.52%
Oscar Dansk 30 55.56%
Cody Goloubef 2 3.70%
Tomas Kubalik 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2012, 04:50 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

vCash: 500
Voted Dansk

Add Korpisalo, after watching futility in net, I have a total new appreciation for having a # of great goalie prospects

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Korpi isn't even in my top 20. If he gets added before Tynan, I will set TWO posters on fire each day.

(EDIT: to be fair, he is in my list of four "honorable mentions", tho. I really do think we should go the distance and have five players in the poll for #20, but Sam doesn't seem to like that. Go figure. )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 08-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:33 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Voted Calvert , add Audy-Marchessault

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:45 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There are two things to blame:
1) the random number generator at random.org, for picking your name, and
2) YOURSELF, for voting to add someone other than Tynan in the last poll.
I will not forget this.

08-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Voted Dansk.
Add Tynan (think of the children).

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Voted Dansk.
Add Tynan (think of the children).

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:22 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Voted Calvert because I don't believe we've seen the best of him yet. And guess who I want to add? Hint: Forsberg.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:50 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
So? That's, what, 4 days worth of pretty low-key hockey?

Voted Dansk, add Korpisalo.
The point being, he was 3rd of 4 guys. And don't tell them it didn't matter. Both days I went, I saw those guys busting their hump trying to impress. At one point, during shootout drills, Dansk threw his stick in disgust with himself.

I guess this is where I fall out of line with the draftniks and prospect experts. I am voting on who's better right now combined with who has the best NHL potential based on what I've seen, either from video/in person or whatever, not who "will be" based on whatever magic beans I'm willing to buy.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 08-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.
SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
The point being, he was 3rd of 4 guys. And don't tell them it didn't matter. Both days I went, I saw those guys busting their hump trying to impress. At one point, during shootout drills, Dansk threw his stick in disgust with himself.

I guess this is where I fall out of line with the draftniks and prospect experts. I am voting on who's better right now combined with who has the best NHL potential based on what I've seen, either from video/in person or whatever, not who "will be" based on whatever magic beans I'm willing to buy.
Well let me ask you this, how many guys look like total studs in camp and turn out to be worthless? Every year there are a handful. Prospect camp isn't a great barometer for such evaluation. Just sayin'.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:31 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Well let me ask you this, how many guys look like total studs in camp and turn out to be worthless? Every year there are a handful. Prospect camp isn't a great barometer for such evaluation. Just sayin'.
Remember Petr Straka?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Korpi isn't even in my top 20. If he gets added before Tynan, I will set TWO posters on fire each day.

(EDIT: to be fair, he is in my list of four "honorable mentions", tho. I really do think we should go the distance and have five players in the poll for #20, but Sam doesn't seem to like that. Go figure. )
I don't really understand why you like Tynan. Odds are he'll never make the NHL. I mean he could, but a lot has to happen. If he does manage to be an NHL 4th liner, then so what? Doesn't make him a top 10 prospect.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

The "magic beans" can work out, or they can fail. If there were a perfect formula, everyone would go from bad to great in a very short time, and the only parity in the league would be due to players getting old and retiring - because any team finishing at the bottom would know exactly who to grab.

I can see what you're saying, but I still think you're selling a guy short due mainly to the fact that you haven't had many viewings on him. And, I agree with the above posters - some players look like Wayne Gretzky at those camps and go on to do virtually nothing in the pros. Heck, everyone was ready to offer a first line spot to Kyle Wilson after the training camp he had last year. Did it matter when the games started to matter?

Old
08-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I don't really understand why you like Tynan. Odds are he'll never make the NHL. I mean he could, but a lot has to happen. If he does manage to be an NHL 4th liner, then so what? Doesn't make him a top 10 prospect.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:24 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Point well taken, but at some point you have to measure what you see. Voting any G in the top 5 prospects implies to me he's ready to start competing as a pro. Dansk isn't even close. I think York and Forsberg are well ahead at this point in time, however less their pedigree is and however much more 'promise' Dansk holds.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone's votes or opinions, I just didn't really understand the ranking at this point in time.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:26 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
I don't get it either, fwiw. For me, there are a lot of guys to vote on before Tynan enters the discussion.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:00 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
I don't get it either, fwiw. For me, there are a lot of guys to vote on before Tynan enters the discussion.
He's a very similar player to Atkinson. I think that, coupled with his outstanding freshman season and supposedly insane work ethic is why Viqsi likes him so much. He would be my prospect crush too, if Savard wasn't still considered a prospect.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I like him for the same reasons and demonstrated abilities that I like in Atkinson. (HF staff seem to agree, as they've got them both rated as 8.0D, but, well, that's a whole 'nother flamewar.) I rate Atkinson higher mostly because he's proven a heck of a lot more at higher levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
He's a very similar player to Atkinson. I think that, coupled with his outstanding freshman season and supposedly insane work ethic is why Viqsi likes him so much. He would be my prospect crush too, if Savard wasn't still considered a prospect.
I also endorse this reply.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue with anyone's votes or opinions, I just didn't really understand the ranking at this point in time.
Fair enough, I won't try to force my opinion at all, just explaining to you why I have him so high

Old
08-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Fair enough, I won't try to force my opinion at all, just explaining to you why I have him so high
Ditto.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
TJ Tynan is a vanilla midget that won't ever amount to anything in the big leagues, brother. The crusierweights can crusierWAIT.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

Not sure what you're about with "magic beans." I'm all for buying based on what I've seen, but I'm also going to give some credence to the opinions of folks who've watched these kids play way more than I have.

Quote:
Point well taken, but at some point you have to measure what you see. Voting any G in the top 5 prospects implies to me he's ready to start competing as a pro. Dansk isn't even close. I think York and Forsberg are well ahead at this point in time, however less their pedigree is and however much more 'promise' Dansk holds.
But here's the crux, I think. The cruteria "ready to start competing as a pro." That may or may not affect how others are voting. Do you feel the same about any top 5 prospect, or only the goalies? And only for the top 5?

It's an inexact science, thus why we vote, allowing many opinions and methodologies to affect the results. Much more fun than "Samkow's Blog: Top 20 CBJ Prospects, 2012."

Old
08-05-2012, 10:31 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Understandable since he was drafted 95 this year

Quote:

Maybe it is my disgust with our not having better #1 goalies. I'm sure it is just wishful thinking

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote