HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The MLD 2012 Thread II

Old
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
How many players on the actual game roster? This is not specified in the introduction.
It's like a modern NHL roster: 12 F, 6 D, 2 G.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:44 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

12F, 6D, 2G is the basic set up needed at minimum, plus a coach.

Though a 7th D is expected to see some ice time, assistant coaches are of course an option, and extra forwards and 8th dmen and 3rd goalies possibilities to be considered if and where needed to cover for injuries, suspensions, certain match-ups, what have you.

Quote:
How long is the post draft UFA period? Again not specified to in the introduction.
There will be an ADD/DROP period immediately following the last pick clock of the last round. At that time, not a moment sooner, a pick may be DROPped in a post followed in the same post by a pick ADDed. This is not encouraged but an option for those GMs who feel they have made a tragic mistake in drafting a real stinker. It is a feature provided to give hope to GMs who regret a pick and wish some sort of second chance.

Last edited by VanIslander: 08-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Canadiens1958

Skaters/Goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
It's like a modern NHL roster: 12 F, 6 D, 2 G.
Simply 18 skaters, 2 goalies. Thank you.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Canadiens1958

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

Though a 7th D is expected to see some ice time, assistant coaches are of course an option, and extra forwards and 8th dmen and 3rd goalies possibilities to be considered if and where needed to cover for injuries, suspensions, certain match-ups, what have you.

There will be a two-day (48-hour) ADD/DROP period immediately following the last pick clock of the last round. At that time, not a moment sooner, a pick may be DROPped in a post followed in the same post by a pick ADDed. This is not encouraged but an option for those GMs who feel they have made a tragic mistake in drafting a real stinker. It is a feature provided to give hope to GMs who regret a pick and wish some sort of second chance.
Thank you. Are trades allowed during this period?

Old
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Rob Scuderi

Pittsburgh selects RW Glen Murray and D Tom Bladon

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
I guess so. Sure. We've never had that happen post-draft, but it sounds preferable to add/drop if you have a deserving pick that simply doesn't fit your squad, and/or you have a need to fill. Do so during the add/drop period. No trading once playoffs get going.

Last edited by VanIslander: 08-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
How many players on the actual game roster? This is not specified in the introduction.

How long is the post draft UFA period? Again not specified to in the introduction.
Hedberg answered the first one. Traditionally you can add/drop (the UFA period) until lineup assassinations end - about a week or so after drafting.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I guess so. Sure. We've never had that happen post-draft, but it sounds preferable to add/drop if you have a deserving pick that simply doesn't fit your squad, and/or you have a need to fill. Do so during the two-day add/drop period. No trading once assassinations and playoffs get going.
We allowed add/drop the entire length of assassinations during the ATD.

I don't care either way whether we do it that way again

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
And only now does it occur to me that one could use his first 7 picks on 1890s superstars and have them play the whole 60 minutes

(no punishing them for era!)

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Canadiens1958

Atd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And only now does it occur to me that one could use his first 7 picks on 1890s superstars and have them play the whole 60 minutes

(no punishing them for era!)
Suspect they would have disappeared prior to the MLD.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Lokomotiv will be coached by Bob Hartley, a champion at every level he has coached: junior A, major juniors, AHL, NHL and most recently Swiss league. He began his career coaching a Junior-A team to the championship trophy, thereafter going to major juniors where he coached Laval to a league championship and a trip to the Memorial Cup tourney in 1993. He then coached an AHL team to two divisional titles and a Calder Cup win in 1997. A year later he got an NHL job coacing the Avalanche, leading them to their first Northwest division title, upsetting Detroit's hopes of a threepeat when Colorado defeated them in the second round of the playoffs, though the Avs fell to the eventual cup champs Stars in the western finals. His second year in Colorado was much like the first: a divisional title, a second round defeat of Detroit and third round loss to Dallas. In his third year at the helm, the Avalanche won the President's trophy and the Stanley Cup (2000). The following postseason, Hartley became the first head coach since Billy Reay to guide his teams to four consecutive conference final appearances. Hartley left Colorado and went to Atlanta during the next season and in his first full season as Thrashers coach he set a franchise record for wins and points, following that up with the team's first ever winning season. His third year in Atlanta he led the team to the playoffs and its first divisional title.

Quote:
Tambellini’s team, Zurich’s ZSC Lions, won the title by upsetting SC Bern in seven games in April.

“I’ve never had a coach who has wanted to win so bad,” said Tambellini, who’s back in Vancouver for a few months before heading back to Europe in early August.

He’ll do anything to win. That’s where you hear about how he pushes guys and makes them uncomfortable, but he just wants to win so bad that he’ll push as many buttons as it takes. It’s hard but I can respect that. You know where you stand with him. He has a relationship with each of his players and he cares about each person. He works with the young guys, but he also challenges them to be better.”

Tambellini also credits Hartley for pushing the right buttons when Zurich was down 3-1 in the seven-game final to Bern.

“We go to practice — Game 5 is the next day — and he’s pushing us, grinding guys harder than all year,” said Tambellini. “I’d never seen this before in that situation. But it pissed us all off so we go into Game 5 fired up, half at him, but it brought the emotion out of us. So we beat Bern in overtime and pushed it to seven games.

“But that’s Bob. He never stopped from Day 1. He said we’re going to shock the Swiss hockey world. Some people laughed at that, but he kept pushing and by the end of it guys were believing in it.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ha...268/story.html

Old
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
We allowed add/drop the entire length of assassinations during the ATD.
Did you? I guess we could do it that way. Originally the add/drop was for mercy, not for strategic jostling during assassinations. Oh well. No need to prevent someone from doing so, as long as it's done BEFORE the playoff voting starts.

ADD/DROP on this thread, clearly and BOLDLY please. (But of course, no add/drops to begin until after this round is finished!!!! GMs have their last rounds of picks to make first, before add/drops).

Old
08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Who can take a 2-man list for my final 2 picks?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:33 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Jacques Laperriere injury gave both regular season TOI. By mid playoffs it was clear that Rpbinson had become #4 ahead of Murdoch.
fair enough, mid-playoffs makes sense.

Quote:

Though a 7th D is expected to see some ice time, assistant coaches are of course an option, and extra forwards and 8th dmen and 3rd goalies possibilities to be considered if and where needed to cover for injuries, suspensions, certain match-ups, what have you..
If you think about it, and look at what happens with REAL rosters, ALL your spares are important parts of your team. They will ALL play some games, and a couple of them could even play a full season if you get just one or two major injuries at one position. At any given time you are most likely to have two regulars out of 18 injured, suspended or scratched. So two spares playing is the norm. Adjust that by 2 either way for periods of prosperity or turmoil.

Quote:
I would assume so.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:27 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Left winger Steve Konowalchuk. The 6'1 207 lbs. WHL MVP had scored 51 goals, 104 points his last year of juniors, but like many NHL defensive forwards. he uses his basic skating and stick skills in a checking role at the pro level., The big and mobile winger was captain of the Capitals for two seasons as a result of a player vote. The 11-year Washington veteran had four 40+ point seasons, alternating between a scoring line and checking line throughout his career, used on both special teams. Internationally, the American was selected for the 1996 and 2004 World Cup teams, a testament to his ability, and while his contributions are less apparent from scoresheets, he did score two goals in each of the 2000 and 2002 world championships. He is renowned for his work ethic, character and responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov. 2000
... heart and intensity...

From the day he joined the organization as its fifth pick (58th overall) in the 1991 Entry Draft, Konowalchuk has been a shining example of a strong work ethic and unwavering determination.

I like to be out there at the end of games or in overtime. Early in my career, I had the opportunity to play with Kelly Miller and Dale Hunter and those guys were known for their heroics, too. So I just kind of played hard with them. You play with guys like that in overtime and they’re geared up and they’re ready and it makes it easy.”

Besides his dogged work ethic and his willingness to go to the net and other high traffic areas, Konowalchuk’s versatility also makes him a valuable guy to have around. Drafted as a center, Konowalchuk has played primarily left wing in the NHL, but he is still capable of taking and winning faceoffs when necessary. He is a staple of the team’s penalty killing unit and can also perform on the power play. Konowalchuk is comfortable whether he is skating on a scoring line or a checking line, and he is effective in both roles. But regardless of which line he is on, his game doesn’t change.

“Even when I’m on a scoring line, I’m going to help create more chances by still checking the other team – still forechecking hard,” he explains. “I think if I’m playing with [Adam] Oates, obviously you have to be ready to get some more shots because you’re going to get the puck a lot more than [you’re going to get] with any center in the league. You’re going to get chances with that puck and you’re going to get time. So you just have to be ready that way.
“When you play with [Jeff] Halpern, you come and you’re going to wear the other team down and he’s going to be right there with you battling, and you’re going to create your chances driving it to the net and stuffing it out of the corners. I try to stay the same with whomever I’m playing with. I don’t think anybody can change their game. You are who you are and I like to think I can help out a little bit on whichever line I’m on.”

Now in his 10th NHL season, Konowalchuk has risen through the ranks of the Capitals’ system from rookie to veteran leader. He ranks fifth on the team in seniority as a Capital, trailing only Calle Johansson, Olaf Kolzig, Peter Bondra and Ken Klee. Early in his career, he often skated on a line with Hunter and Miller, two longtime team leaders. Now, Konowalchuk is a leader himself. He wears the alternate captain’s “A” on his sweater.

“I remember playing with those two guys and it was so easy for myself to come to the rink and be ready every night because they were,” he says of his apprenticeship with Hunter and Miller. “I didn’t have to worry about my linemates. All I had to worry about was not letting them down because Dale Hunter and Kelly Miller didn’t have a bad game. As a young kid, I thought that was amazing for them to be able to play a thousand hockey games and play every one as hard as they did – to their top level every night. That’s one thing I wanted to try to do myself. [I thought] hey, if they can do it, I want to come every night and learn from them.”

It’s obvious that Konowalchuk learned a lot from them and the Caps can only hope that current and future Capitals’ youngsters learn in turn from him. Like Hunter and Miller before him, Konowalchuk carries on a proud Capital tradition of hard work and diligent play, shift after shift, night after night. He plays every game hard – to his top level every night. Just ask the other 29 teams in the league that have to play against him.
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42561

Quote:
Steve Konowalchuk was one of those rare elite role players that was impossible for any hockey fan not to admire.

Konowalchuk was equal parts of heart and intelligence. He was a courageous digger and mucker, working hard for every goal and every win, using every ounce energy on every shift. Yet his understanding of the game made him a brilliant player in his own right. He was a defensive genius, a regular on the PK especially when 2 men down.

He was an impact player, knowing when to change the pace of a game with an energy shift or a big hit. Simply put, he was a coach's dream - great character, great work ethic and a complete team player. His offensive game was anything but fancy and his totals never grand, but there was not a coach in the league who would not take Steve Konowalchuk exactly as he was.

Best known as a long time Washington Capital, Konowalchuk finished his career with the Colorado Avalanche. His career ended in a bitter form of irony. This heart and soul player was forced off the ice by doctors after a rare heart disorder named QT syndrome was discovered.

The Salt Lake City-born Konowalchuk totaled 171 goals and 225 assists in 790 NHL games. He also played for the U.S.A in two World Cups and two World Championships.
http://washingtoncapitalslegends.blo...nowalchuk.html

Last edited by VanIslander: 09-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old
08-14-2012, 04:07 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Who wants to take a list for my final 2 picks?

08-14-2012, 04:13 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Who wants to take a list for my final 2 picks?
I could.

Old
08-14-2012, 04:32 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
I could.
Just sent, thanks.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Canadiens1958

Ed Johnston and Guy Boucher

Montreal Orfuns adopt goalie - Ed Johnston

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...johnsed01.html

and assistant coach Guy Boucher:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/bouchgu99c.html

Note we were skipped way too early as was the following GM.

2:27AM to 6:24 < 4:00

next PMed

Old
08-14-2012, 05:34 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The four hour clock began once I picked.

And the following GM was skipped automatically because he has picks to amke up from last round (as per ATD subboard tradition).

All is well.

Old
08-14-2012, 05:49 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Monarchs SKIPPED

Chicago Blaze listpick defenseman Dave Lewis and winger Martin Havlat.

TDMM and Dreakmur PM'd.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Canadiens1958

No

Quote:
The four hour clock began once I picked.

And the following GM was skipped automatically because he has picks to amke up from last round (as per ATD subboard tradition).

All is well.
No, your first of two picks was at 10:43 PM and the second at 2:27AM
and I was notified at 2:49 AM. Regardless, I was shorted.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:11 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

My apologises if my PM came halfway into your clock.

Maybe it's just my computer... I have major screen visual problems... either you know what I mean or you don't... I figured it out.. it still works but with minimal visuals, so 1995ish... it really threw me for a loop... plus I'm at work.

Note: while the next GM should PM as soon as they can, the clock doesn't stop if a GM is tardy or negligent.

In my defense I usually send EXTRA PMs to GMs... I just was caught unaware by this technical problem and as I am at work (it's 8pm here, I work until 10pm) I simply thought the site had a temporary quirk and checked back a bit later...

Old
08-14-2012, 08:27 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Winnipeg selects G Don Beaupre & F Pat Boutette

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Dreakmur

We'll take Wildor Larochelle and skip our other pick since we have no idea right now.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote