HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The MLD 2012 Thread II

Old
08-07-2012, 09:27 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Methinks you might not be very well acquainted with my good friend M.S. Excel. Really helpful fellow, he is.

And if you're not, just ask for help, TDMM or I can make sure we have the full draft order posted from the get-go.

Also, Blachford is a very good pick.
Please don't volunteer me for something that tedious

I did help when I could by adding a bunch of rounds in the middle of the draft

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Methinks you might not be very well acquainted with my good friend M.S. Excel.
Did he play for the Flames? I have to admit I am not acquainted with him. I graduated from university before the Internet Age (pre-Windows), when computers were for nerds, scientists, accountants and games.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Canadiens1958

Minor League Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
The difference with AHL vs. international players is that AHL players were trying to break into the NHL, but failing to do so.
Let's take the AHL to represent the various minor leagues - WHL, QSHL/QHL, EPHL, CHL.

A number of players had made the NHL but did not last or were playing out a career. Will not list names to avoid influencing the draft.

QSHL / QHL featured players who combined work with hockey. You had the transients that were sent by the parent NHL teams to develop but you had long termers who had some NHL experience but combined work with hockey/ A few had great success winning homours at the WC level.

Goalies were a different matter. NHL went to a two goalie system during the last years of the O6 era. Suddenly the number of NHL goalies doubled with no drop in performance. Regardless how you distribute the goalies 6 came from the minors.

Goalies played Senior/minor hockey for the combined financial benefits of two incomes . Refused NHL contracts that would require a stint in the minors since there was no net salary benefit to them.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 08-07-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: oops
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Please don't mention undrafteds on this thread.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Rob Scuderi

I tried to buy some time for Vecens to come online but I'm getting antsy. Am I good to pick or should I hold off until the third one from 70s comes in?

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I tried to buy some time for Vecens to come online but I'm getting antsy. Am I good to pick or should I hold off until the third one from 70s comes in?
Go ahead, his clock is expired.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
I'm up next and have to go to work soon (in 35 minutes),it's Wednesday afternoon here. So I hope the picks are made asap.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Rob Scuderi

Alright then, Pittsburgh will use our first set of double picks on a pair of fourth liners.

C Michal Pivonka

Pivonka gives us another big center to put into the fold and is a defensively responsible playmaker with size, much like Koivu. Pivonka was more physical however.

LW Martin Gelinas

Gelinas is a gritty winger who will give Don "Count" Grosso a run for his money going for the clutch goals.

Have at it VI,

Old
08-07-2012, 10:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Just pick. 70s obviously doesn't mind being skipped, as it's happened almost every round so far

Edit: you already did. Pivonka's a good pick.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Just pick. 70s has obviously doesn't mind being skipped, as it's happened almost every round so far
True. I just figured he made 2/3 so if the third was on the way I didn't need to swoop in.

Quote:
Edit: you already did. Pivonka's a good pick.
All Vecens on that one. I lobbied for Koivu over him because I was worried how substantiated Pivonka's defensive game was, but reading through your guys' series with Billy last year it didn't seem a huge concern.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Was hoping to get Pivonka myself...nice pick.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:18 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Pivonka's a good pick.
The Capitals fanchise leader in assists. Loved the guy. He is better than M. Koivu in a 3rd line role imo, though Koivu has a captaincy advantage.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Lokomotiv selects three-time retro-Selke, three-time top-5 scorer in top league of the time, forward Jack Findlay. The fourth line should be perfect for what he brings.

The next Lokomotiv is the star of several international games, starting with the Canada Cup (1976), hulking pivot Viktor Zhluktov .

Bio to come.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:28 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I challenge you to find a reason Ultimate Hockey decides to give Findlay those "retro Selkes."

Looking forward to the bios of him and Zluktov. I've always thought the second tier Euro stars of the 70s and 80s were underrated. The hard part is figuring out which the best ones are!

Old
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
I challenge you to find a reason Ultimate Hockey decides to give Findlay those "retro Selkes."
You're right. The book is crap. They don't know what they are talking about. They probably just pulled their decisions out of the air. Forget that. Totally discount the three top-5 scoring finishes as well.

I will provide a full bio of Zhluktov, as promised. I have a day off of work next week and have bios as the only thing on my plate then! all day bio construction site will my room be.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
You're right. The book is crap. They don't know what they are talking about. They probably just pulled their decisions out of the air. Forget that. Totally discount the three top-5 scoring finishes as well.

I will provide a full bio of Zhluktov, as promised. I have a day off of work next week and have bios as the only thing on my plate then! all day bio construction site will my room be.
Sometimes it seems like it!

Old
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Canadiens1958

Two Goalies

Montreal Orfuns adopt two goalies - Jonathan Quick and Carey Price:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...quickjo01.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...priceca01.html

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

I was going to post that I love the last dozen picks or so. But now I can't. Two off-the-board goalies, one I heemed and hummed about picking last year, in the end, AFTER the AA Draft, but didn't, simply because there was still a better candidate undrafted. The other has ONE great year and suddenly is a MLD pick?

Old
08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I was going to post that I love the last dozen picks or so. But now I can't. Two off-the-board goalies, one I heemed and hummed about picking last year, in the end, AFTER the AA Draft, but didn't, simply because there was still a better candidate undrafted. The other has ONE great year and suddenly is a MLD pick?
To be fair, Quick has been a beast for the last 3 years.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
vecens24

Quote:
I don't think mods should have any more power to change rules than anyone else.

Personally, I don't care when double picks start, but it seems a little late to have the discussion as they are supposed to have already started.
Everything is pretty much right on the money here. Especially the bolded part, as much as sometimes we'd like it to be that way .

Quote:
1. Were they among the 2000 picks in the ATD+MLD+AAA+AA+A last year? (See links on first page)
2. Every team can easily handle a big question mark (high risk, high return) on the BENCH, as one of the EXTRAS, so if you wanna go for one of the off-the-board undrafteds and debut them in this draft, then it's safe to do so late, as an extra. Or, alternatively, wait and debut them in the AAA Draft later this fall.
Quote:
I understand the logic of picking "question marks" and benching them, but I also think its a cop out. Nobody is going to bother exploring how good a spare is
Quote:
But how do you know of they are arguably ATD picks if you're just going to stick them on the bench and forget about them?

The nature of a "question mark" is that he might actually be really good and perhaps more worthy of a spot than the second tier NHLers who always populate the MLD.

Of course, there are some GMs who are brutal in evaluating such players, so draft at your own risk
Yeah I think it's kind of a cop out to pick the player, then stick them on your bench and say oh well. We picked Gut with full intention of playing him. He's a third line puck mover and a second PP guy. I think he will be VERY admirable in these roles. The only thing is that we now have to find a stay at home guy who can cover for Gut when he makes runs up the ice, which he does.

Also, yeah VanI. Gut and Tikal, while being partners for 4 years and a VERY good pairing, were just that, only partners for four years. Tikal proved his mettle against superior opponents, then was the rival of Ragulin. He deserves the selection over Gut for sure. However, they were the prototypical offense defense pairing that is so coveted. Gut led major tournaments in defenseman scoring 5 times in an 8 year span. That's pretty damned impressive. I think Gut is absolutely a more than adequate third pairing, PP guy here in the MLD. Probably he'd even be okay on a second pairing here. But I don't think I'd feel particularly confident with him in the ATD. There just honestly isn't enough substantiation about his defensive ability at this point in time. We'll see what more I can come up with. Hopefully there is more out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Connecticut selects RW Cecil Blachford
I've been looking at him for a while trying to dig up information about his offense, but never really brought him up to BBS because we were going wiht more of a two-way third line and I just couldn't find enough. If you're drafting him for leadership, intangibles, and defense though, great great pick here.

Quote:
Sorry, I was at the Pirate game. lol

Quote:

Looking forward to the bios of him and Zluktov. I've always thought the second tier Euro stars of the 70s and 80s were underrated. The hard part is figuring out which the best ones are!
Hahah yeah I mean....I'm certain they gave out those retro-Selke's for a reason, but what those reasons are is anyone's guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
I don't think I'd be opposed to Quick being here necessarily as a backup with a guy with a strong, long track record ahead of him, but yeah with Price I think it's horrible.

You should drop Price and pick up a guy with a longer track record at the end of the draft. I have him with a single 4th place in AST voting, and not much longevity or anything else. He is absolutely out of place here.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
I've been wondering when Quick would go. I think your pick is fine. It's interesting that he was undrafted in the Single-A 2011 draft, but maybe he didn't meet a games played requirement.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I'm surprised about the resistance to the Carey Price pick. I certainly get it because he's very inexperienced, relatively speaking...

I don't mean to put down another pick, I'm just asking for educational purposes...

Cam Ward: 414 GP, 205-149-46, 2.74 GAA, .910 save pct., 21 SO (6 seasons, not including coming in late in 2006 from a backup role)
Conn Smythe, 2x playoff participant
1x All Star
Hart: t-17th
Vezina: 7th, 7th
Goalie AST: 7th, t-8th
Top-10 Wins: 3, 3, 4
Top-10 GAA: N/A
Top-10 Save Pct.: 8
Top-10 Shutouts: 6, 9, 10

Carey Price: 271 GP, 124-104-35, 2.56 GAA, .916 save pct., 16 SO (5 seasons, twice as a platoon goalie)
4x playoff participant
3x All Star
Hart: 7th
Vezina: 5th, 9th
Calder: 4th
Goalie AST: 4th (also was on the All-Rookie Team)
Top-10 Wins: 1
Top-10 GAA: 9
Top-10 Save Pct.: 6, 7
Top-10 Shutouts: 3

Those are really terribly different resumes minus the Conn Smythe (which wasn't exactly the most impressive CS I've seen, but that's relative immaterial as Price has never gotten a team to that level to be fair)?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:39 PM
vecens24

Yeah....I wasn't a big fan of the Cam Ward pick either. He's got nothing better than a 7th in AST voting (which I think is actually pretty indicative of his play. I don't think there's been a season where I would say he was better than that), plus that Smythe which is obviously big. But yeah I'm not a big fan of either selection. I think Ward also works as a backup who can come in for some big games for a guy with a longer track record. Price has legitimately one season where I'd say he gets a good amount of value from.

But it's not necessarily even the selection of Price that is bad to me, it's pairing him with Quick. Neither has any sort of long term track record.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:46 PM
seventieslord

Alright, I'll catch up with Baldy Cotton, LW. Cotton was a spunky, gritty player with very good offensive skills for a bottom-six suited player available now (his best six offensive seasons by percentage scores are 61, 60, 53, 48, 48, 40, same total score as Chamberlain, who I drafted earlier for similar reasons except Chamberlain was bigger, tougher, better defensively and even more of a factor in the playoffs)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:49 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah....I wasn't a big fan of the Cam Ward pick either. He's got nothing better than a 7th in AST voting (which I think is actually pretty indicative of his play. I don't think there's been a season where I would say he was better than that), plus that Smythe which is obviously big. But yeah I'm not a big fan of either selection. I think Ward also works as a backup who can come in for some big games for a guy with a longer track record. Price has legitimately one season where I'd say he gets a good amount of value from.

But it's not necessarily even the selection of Price that is bad to me, it's pairing him with Quick. Neither has any sort of long term track record.
The perception with Ward seems to be that he is better than his numbers. Not saying I necessarily thought it was a great pick, but I thought I would pipe in with that. He was 16th on my list, which means I saw him as an acceptable backup. Price and Quick weren't on my list at all.

Wow, I have a ton of picks to comment on and other stuff. I never pay attention to this thing during the weekends, compounded by the fact that almost every weekend this summer has been a long one for me. I have to be at my desk at work or I won't check in. (How sad is that?)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote