HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TNSE lease of the Icecaps to St J. How does it work?

Old
08-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
You also have to take into account the distance between all those cities
They are all relativley close to each other.
Wpg & StJ's are not the closest cities to each other
Yep. Maybr its semantics but two games acroas town is a lot different then 12 games halfway across the country

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:55 AM
trouty

Could they move 2 games its probable but still difficult.St John's generially goes on big road tripps then a 6 game home stand so moving 2 to western Canada would be a hastile.Kingjet brings up teams with short distances and small fan bases.Add in he's naming many teams we will never play.

trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Frankie

for sure they'll play a handful of home games in winnipeg in the event of a lockout.

and to the original question, the icecaps are a cash cow for danny williams, not for tnse.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:14 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
for sure they'll play a handful of home games in winnipeg in the event of a lockout.
(...)
How do you figure? There's a contract in place to play in St Johns.

An exhibition game? I could see that happening, but it appears that there's nothing scheduled at the moment.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

and to the original question, the icecaps are a cash cow for danny williams, not for tnse.
okay, this something people don't seem to realise.

Leased to Danny Williams: it's pretty "hands off" on a business side from TNSE as far as non-hockey personnel decisions are handled.

current-vs-historic context: 1 or 2 games played in the parent arena of AHL franchises that are located quite close to eachother is not the same as "a handful"(i'm assuming 3-4 +?) games played halfway across the continent.

Location, location, location: Those teams that have played in the parent arena were still playing within the geographic confines of their conference. Ice Caps do not play any teams from the northwest, thus playing out of winnipeg would be increased travel expenses (which is apprently the ultimate boogy-man in the AHL) for very little gain for anyone.

Gain: They don't gain anything by playing here. It won't sell out, they'd get at max 10k people, and actually run the risk of selling less then the 6k+ they have in st johns (unlikely, i know, but still a risk). So why? Why would you do it? because a select few jets fans want them too?

There's a lot more logistics included in doing something like this then folks seem to think, not to mention taking product (which is obviously in lower supply then demand as per season ticket sales) away from STJ to fulfill a completely unknown demand.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
trouty

AHL sked comes out today,so i guess we will see,id assume some games will be played in nhl buildings in close distance to their Parent club,will Winnipeg host any hmmm thats tough

Old
08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
trouty

Quote:

Frank hates Danny Williams and dont go to any games,nor do his taxes come out of the Icecaps being here,yet the city makes millions off the Icecaps

If Danny Williams wants to throw his money at the AHL Frank and it costs you ZERO then why complain.I tend to not complain about stuff that dont cost me,unfortunitly unlike you my taxes are wasted on the arts here in the City,but i dont go and cry on their boards

Old
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Frank hates Danny Williams and dont go to any games,nor do his taxes come out of the Icecaps being here,yet the city makes millions off the Icecaps

If Danny Williams wants to throw his money at the AHL Frank and it costs you ZERO then why complain.I tend to not complain about stuff that dont cost me,unfortunitly unlike you my taxes are wasted on the arts here in the City,but i dont go and cry on their boards
what are you talking about?

i simply answered the question....danny is making the money off the icecaps, not tnse. he's making a fortune from this team, good for him.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

http://cdn.rapidmanager.com/ahl/file..._sked_team.pdf

No games in Winnipeg.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
shocking....

Old
08-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think there's still bound to be some games in Winnipeg

Last edited by Mathil8: 08-20-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Quoting mishap
Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:

I have been very happy with how St. John's has embraced our AHL affiliate and I'm happy True North has decided to keep all the home games in Newfoundland & Labrodor.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
MooseJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I have been very happy with how St. John's has embraced our AHL affiliate and I'm happy True North has decided to keep all the home games in Newfoundland & Labrodor.
The ice caps fans love trashing Manitoba and the jets now....saying winnipeg and manitoba cant afford to pay the salaries of millioaire hockey players. goof thinks the government runs the jets.

MooseJets is offline   Reply With Quote