HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Question about Michael Mersch and Christopher Gibson

Old
08-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Question about Michael Mersch and Christopher Gibson

Couldn't find the general prospect.. How do you guys see him turning out? Any shot at the NHL level?

and chris gibson?

Last edited by Krishna: 08-12-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Basilisk

vCash: 500
It's a little early to assess Mersch, but I've heard he's really, REALLY good on the PK.

This might be a make or break year for Gibson. He needs to show massive improvement or face the threat of a "bust" moniker......

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
It's a little early to assess Mersch, but I've heard he's really, REALLY good on the PK.

This might be a make or break year for Gibson. He needs to show massive improvement or face the threat of a "bust" moniker......
Uhhhh yeah, no.

Gibson won't even be 20 until halfway through this season. He was deemed a bit of a long term project from the start, and that's not even factoring in that goalies tend to take longer to develop anyway.

I mean, we're not even a year and two months from when he was drafted, and he's almost a bust?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
....and he's almost a bust?
He's not improving. I keep seeing the word "raw" associated with his game. IMHO, "raw" is just a nice away of saying "the kid's game isn't progressing".

By this time next year, if the word "raw" is STILL associated with Gibson's game, then expect to see the word bust start to be used....

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:18 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Uhhhh yeah, no.

Gibson won't even be 20 until halfway through this season. He was deemed a bit of a long term project from the start, and that's not even factoring in that goalies tend to take longer to develop anyway.

I mean, we're not even a year and two months from when he was drafted, and he's almost a bust?
I totally agree with this. Even in the prospect camps he's been to, the kid has had goalies in front of him that the staff has focused on (that are older). Look at someone like Howard or Schneider (I'm not saying Gibson will be as good as those two). They were in the minors for a long time. Howard had only played a few games (about 6-8) until he was 25 years old. That's 5 1/2 years from now for Gibson. Schneider is just now 26 1/2 and about to be a #1 goalie for the first time. Before the 10-11 season, Schneider had only played in 8-10 games in the NHL. Both of these goalies were at one point in their development called a "bust" and went through ups and downs.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
He's not improving. I keep seeing the word "raw" associated with his game. IMHO, "raw" is just a nice away of saying "the kid's game isn't progressing".

By this time next year, if the word "raw" is STILL associated with Gibson's game, then expect to see the word bust start to be used....
No, "raw" is a way of saying that there are brief flashes of brilliant play but that those aren't the norm for a player. The potential is still there for that to become the norm but just not currently. I don't see how you can make the argument that he isn't improving, he's a goalie on a middle of the round team playing in the QMJHL. His numbers are never going to amazing because of that. He was 9th in GAA, and Save %. Also if you saw any of the playoffs last year he was a big part of a nice little run that the Sags made to the QMJHL semi-finals. Still plenty time (he'll have probably at least 3 years time before he gets a look at the NHL) for him to improve his play and saying he is a bust now is just un-founded and completely untrue. He has the physical tools already and really just needs to work on the mental aspect of the game. He struggles with regaining his focus after a bad goal, and has trouble reading plays and remaining in position, but thaose are almost the same flaws that Quick had when he was in college.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:59 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:

Actually, Gibson was much better in this year's development camp than last year's. His game is improving, just give him time...

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Surely you're joking... He was drafted LAST year....... He is a 19 year old kid...... Jonathan Quick was in the ECHL 3 years older than Gibson........

Quote:

That's just asinine. You are living a fantasy where all prospects dominate every league straight out of the draft... Not everyone can be a first overall pick you know. It is very normal for goalies and defensemen to develop well into their early 20's. Forbort is a raw prospect, doesn't mean he is a bust already. What is this? Make the NHL in two seasons or else you are a bust?...

Raw just means that he has a much higher ceiling, and great tools to work with, but doesn't know how to use them as a pro yet, but he is someone that the development staff can work with easily because he already has the abilities.

There is zero rush to get him to dominate the AHL or something next season, or else tell him he is a career minor leaguer. I don't even know what to say to that... That is like saying if a kid can't graduate a university in two years, then he is obviously a bust and a disappointment and will never amount to anything...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

He's 19 bro.

Go ahead and shoot me a list of goalies who "made it" in the NHL at or before the age of 22

I'll be waiting.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:33 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Gibson showed great improvement over the second half of the season. He had a rough first half, but this can be partly attributed to changes in his game he was making after meeting with Kings management for the first time.

I think you'll see a very good season from Gibson this year, assuming he doesn't have any injuries or ther setbacks.

I think Gibson will solidify himself as a Kings prospect this season and be viewed as our goalie of the future (as dumbed down of a statement as that is given Quick is really the future for a decade or so) for LA after this season is finished.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Mersch has a lot of potential, as he's a very strong player, has skills, coachability, and a solid work ethic. He has all the tools to be a formidable power forward if he continues to develop and commit himself to the professional game and regime. Obviously there are no guarantees, but even if his skillset doesn't translate to a top line player, he has everything that would make him a solid bottom 6 player.

As for Gibson, I don't like him a lot. I hope he proves me wrong, though, but the good news is he has plenty of time to prove me wrong and turn things around.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote