HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm-Chi (2 proposals)

Old
08-05-2012, 03:33 AM
SilverHaireDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
So you're saying if Smid was involve in a Weber trade you would turn it down?
Weber isn't going to be traded any time soon since the 14 year offer sheet he signed was matched by Nashville.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:37 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Weber isn't going to be traded any time soon since the 14 year offer sheet he signed was matched by Nashville.
He's not but u never know. I was just giving an example. If the right proposal comes up and it involves Smid and something significant comes back you send Smid away. The only untouchables are Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, J. Schultz, and Klefbom.

Last edited by oilwings: 08-05-2012 at 03:42 AM.
oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:45 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
He's not but u never know. I was just giving an example. If the right proposal comes up and it involves Smid and something significant comes back you send Smid away.
Considering who our GM is and the current state of our defense the odds of such a thing occurring is pretty low, your position seems more geared towards eliciting an a reaction as opposed to an honest discourse.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:52 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Considering who our GM is and the current state of our defense the odds of such a thing occurring is pretty low, your position seems more geared towards eliciting an a reaction as opposed to an honest discourse.
Nope. It's my honesty here. Smid is not on my untouchable list.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:00 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Edmonton can't trade Smid. On a good team he's probably a #3 guy because of his lack of offense but he's still very important to the D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
You are a fake oiler account cause no one who watched smid last year could think anything other than 1st pairing shutdown.
No one other than you could have said that Horcoff is better than Mike Richards.

Smid's developing into a shutdown guy, but unless he's paired with a Weber or Karlsson he's probably not on a top pairing. Solid player, though. Tough ES duties, top PK unit.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
So you're saying if Smid was involve in a Weber trade you would turn it down?
Yes clearly the most extreme possible example is what i'm reffering to. When a player is listed as "untouchable" it means a reasonable deal for both parties is unlikely to occur. At the end of the day any player could be traded for the right package.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Smid should be. Unless he was being packaged for a better D coming back(not just an offensive guy) it would not make sense to trade him...and nobody is moving a D better than him. The Oilers would come to regret moving him very quickly as he covers very well for his partner. I mean do you really think it's Petry leading that line? Don't get me wrong Petry's a great player but is still a rookie and it's Smid anchoring that line (our best line). Let him develope into our own Regher-esque player because we really need one of those in the top 4.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:32 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Think more Jason Smith. That's what he is for this Oilers team. The blue-collar, tough as nails, take no prisoners SOB whose ideally a #3 but plays well on a top-pairing.
Smid loves the city and is just what the oilers need right now

I am not even going to comment on the second deal

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:33 AM
supert

Quote:

I will make a bet Weber does not look as good this year with out Suter . Any time Ryan was out of the line up Weber stats looked bad

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:48 AM
supert

Quote:
He is on my . He loves being an Oiler . He still is getting better . Be great to trade him and have a new guy asking to be traded out of Edmonton a year later . We have some up and coming D . I think the players that are good and want to be here should not be moved . A player that loves the Oilers will only help bring in RFA . It only take one that demands a trade to set a team back . RFA remember the one that wanted out not the 10 then loves the team and city . Everyone remembers the bad not the good
I do not live in Edmonton , but i say if the city was good enough for Gretzky F anyone who does not want to be on our team . They should be honour to play for the team the best hockey player the world has ever seen played for . Players today have no honour . It not a right to play in the NHL .
As an Oiler fan i would trade Justin back to the Ducks before i would trade Smid ...Karma its a beautiful thing .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I don't get the 2nd proposal. Why give Hjammer and get Smid? I like both but in the end it's a wash for the Hawks. Smid may be slightly better but Hjammer knows the team, city and the same goes for EDM & Smid.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I am Canadian
Have faith.

Quote:
Give me a break. Just because you play on a 1st pairing doesn't mean you're a #1 Dman. Right now the Oilers don't have a #1 Dman period and not many teams have a #1 dman.

Examples of a #1 dman, some are elite and some are not; Pietrangelo, Doughty, Weber, Suter, Chara, Pronger, Keith, E. Johnson, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Campbell, Subban, Vishnovsky, Del Zotto, Staal, McDonagh, Karlsson, Coburn, Letang, OEL, Yandle, Boyle, Hedman, J. Carlson, Green, Bogosian, and Byfuglien.
LOL at some of these names.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

but he is missing some names like Seabrook and Edler

Old
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
As a Hawk fan, Id rather have your #1 draft pick next year.
And I'd be more than willing to accommodate that if one of Keith or Seabrook is hopping on a plane for E-Town.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't get the 2nd proposal. Why give Hjammer and get Smid? I like both but in the end it's a wash for the Hawks. Smid may be slightly better but Hjammer knows the team, city and the same goes for EDM & Smid.
In what world is a 3rd pairing defenseman for a 1st pairing defenseman a wash?

Old
08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeane View Post
To Edm:
Lalonde
Pirri/Morin
Hjalmarsson

To Chi:
Gagner
Smid
Almost as good as some Wild fan wanting Toews for Backstrom.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
SDig14

Quote:
If the right deal comes up Smid is gone. He's not an untouchable on the Oilers. Smid is a good dman but nothing special.
No one is claiming he is an amazing player, but teams with questionable defense don't trade a good young dman unless they are getting an even better D in return.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Scary list.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:18 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
No one is claiming he is an amazing player, but teams with questionable defense don't trade a good young dman unless they are getting an even better D in return.
Last year Chicago's D didn't play much better, the big difference was Seabrook. Asking for Smid would be like Edmonton asking for Seabrook, and both will not happen.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Nope. Both are #2.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Nope. Both are #2.
No they aren't. Edler is arguably top 10 ffs.

And nobody called Smid a #1 BTW. There is zero question imo that he is a top 60 defender in the NHL.

Also none of these guys are #1's E. Johnson (AINEC, 2nd pairing minutes and competition with poor boxcars relative to role does not = #1), Gudbranson (AINEC still has a ways to go), Kulikov (#2 maybe, but he's still developing his all around game), Vishnovsky (not after last season), Del Zotto (AINEC still developing and was somewhat sheltered), Staal (#2 not a wide enough range of skills, and struggled a little bit coming back from a concussion. This one is debatable however), Coburn (#2 pehaps debatable though), OEL (not yet, but he's close. It's debatable.), Yandle (#2, he got sheltered minutes and is not a complete enough player imo. Overrated on here, but he is close and it is debatable), Boyle (it's close but i think he's more of a #2 now), J. Carlson (it's debatable but i think he took a step back this season), Bogosian (not yet solid top 4, #2 is fair), and Byfuglien (maybe if he played defense every once in awhile, he needs to be sheltered).

Last edited by Eskimo44: 08-05-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
No they aren't. Edler is arguably top 10 ffs.

And nobody called Smid a #1 BTW. There is zero question imo that he is a top 60 defender in the NHL.

Also none of these guys are #1's E. Johnson (AINEC, 2nd pairing minutes and competition with poor boxcars relative to role does not = #1), Gudbranson (AINEC still has a ways to go), Kulikov (#2 maybe, but he's still developing his all around game), Vishnovsky (not after last season), Del Zotto (AINEC still developing and was somewhat sheltered), Staal (#2 not a wide enough range of skills, and struggled a little bit coming back from a concussion. This one is debatable however), Coburn (#2 pehaps debatable though), OEL (not yet, but he's close. It's debatable.), Yandle (#2, he got sheltered minutes and is not a complete enough player imo. Overrated on here, but he is close and it is debatable), Boyle (it's close but i think he's more of a #2 now), J. Carlson (it's debatable but i think he took a step back this season), Bogosian (not yet solid top 4, #2 is fair), and Byfuglien (maybe if he played defense every once in awhile, he needs to be sheltered).
I agree with this. MDZ has a first makes me laugh.

But OEL to me is, and will be for a long time a numero uno!

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeane View Post
It is a open forum. I have seen much worse trades, watch the personal attacks. It was a thought. Especially if Hammer goes back. He needs a change of scenery
He doesn't need a change of scenery...he needs Campbell back.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:42 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It's not as horrendous as some are making it out to be, but it doesn't make sense for the Oilers. A reverse type trade, where multiple lesser pieces are mover for a responsible, solid defenseman would be ideal for the Oilers.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
In what world is a 3rd pairing defenseman for a 1st pairing defenseman a wash?
in what world is Hjalmarsson a 3rd Pairing guy and Smid a 1st pairing guy???

both are what they are, defensiv minded 2nd pairing guys