HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Anyone know if The Cup is coming out this year? I know UD was having some financial difficulty and hasn't been able to get everything done on some sets, but every year I look forward to the Cup. Amazing thrill opening a pack or two of those (before heading to eBay to get the actual card I wanted haha).

Old
08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Anyone know if The Cup is coming out this year? I know UD was having some financial difficulty and hasn't been able to get everything done on some sets, but every year I look forward to the Cup. Amazing thrill opening a pack or two of those (before heading to eBay to get the actual card I wanted haha).
One of the shop owners on a message board I go to said September 11th as the release date. But with UD, who knows, they may push back the release date again.

Brendan Smith of the Wings(top) and Eddie Lack of the Nucks(bottom) via Twitter a month ago.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 08-31-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
08-31-2012, 08:23 PM
punk_o_holic

More Cup sample pics....

Old
08-31-2012, 08:24 PM
punk_o_holic

And these (sorry, there is a limit per pics in a post)

[/QUOTE]

Old
08-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Holy ****... those cards are GORGEOUS. I wish I had the money to buy a box of them, but they're waaaaaaaaaaay out of my price range..

Old
08-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I'm saying that the reason OPC and Score are so cheap is because they're meant more towards kids and beginners collecting. Think about it, a kid who is in it to collect their favourite player, are they going to buy 5 packs for $5 or 1 for $5? You're getting what you pay for, a bunch of base cards, a few inserts, and maybe just maybe, a jersey piece.

Most adults are in it to have an actual collection to show, or to make money off of. That's why they buy the $5 packs, or the $100 boxes. It's for people looking for hits, not just their favourite players. I don't bother with OPC or Score because I know i'm not getting much out of it. For the price I would pay trying to find a hit in those packs, I could buy a pack of the more expensive product and know i'm getting a hit. Yes i'm missing out on all the lovely base cards, but i'm not in it for that.
If someone wants a collection to "show", they shouldn't be buying anything current. If they want to make money off the cards, they are chasing their tails buying $5 packs of cards as well.

I don't buy into the gimmicky cards of today. The cheap stuff is the only stuff worth collecting these days. The gimmick cards are a scam.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I don't buy into the gimmicky cards of today. The cheap stuff is the only stuff worth collecting these days. The gimmick cards are a scam.
Just got a nice set of 90 base cards from the 2002-03 UD Piece of History set for $9, feels good man. What I love about this set is that it's mostly players who played in the 90s but have now retired and are all good. They don't make sets like that excluding expensive ones like artifacts which noob collector's like me don't care for.

The only funny thing though is that the whole set is notable players (for the time being at least) but then in the goalie section, they include Dan Cloutier, Brent Johnson, Marc Denis, and Mike Dunham lol (a few other ones like Chechmanek but at least they were good at the time).

Was also going through some of the cards I got not too long ago and came across this gorgeous set called Bowman Chrome Refractors from 03-04. It doesn't show very well on this picture because you can't see the shiny/chrome from it but gorgeous set and the card cost me 25 cents Also love the back, sorta unique. I hate the back of autos and some of the other expensive type of cards, all it says is "congrats you've received an autographed blah blah."

Old
08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
If someone wants a collection to "show", they shouldn't be buying anything current. If they want to make money off the cards, they are chasing their tails buying $5 packs of cards as well.

Please explain to me how buying something such as Prime or The Cup, is getting scammed? If i'm in it to collect autographs or game-used cards, why would I bother buying cheaper sets where i'm not going to get any? I'm not saying there's anything wrong if you want to buy a bunch of base cards, but it's just not for me. Personal interests, can we leave it at that?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:11 PM
illpucks

Why are people here saying 90s cards have no value but the new cards have value. I thought value would increase over time, no?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I have like, 4000 hockey cards in my closet, mostly from '06-'07 and earlier. Can only imagine what that (coupled with my 3000 Pokemon cards) will be worth in several years.

Looks like a solid haul, though. I'd be happy.
man i used to have a holographic first edition charizard in a tin of full of holos, and i lost them in some move to a new home when i was a kid.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Why are people here saying 90s cards have no value but the new cards have value. I thought value would increase over time, no?
No because the 90s cards were mass produced. You could get multiple cards of a star rookie in a box back so based on supply/demand, the "special cards" now are worth more. Plus the companies got smart and catered to people who spend a lot on it by creating more expensive products.

However I personally value a cool looking 90s card of a good notable player more than a card with a jersey patch and no stats on the back from one of today's players. But that's as a PC, a lot of people buy them to trade or sell them so they want ones where the value will go up, the 90s ones can be had for less than $1 usually.

Old
09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Please explain to me how buying something such as Prime or The Cup, is getting scammed? If i'm in it to collect autographs or game-used cards, why would I bother buying cheaper sets where i'm not going to get any? I'm not saying there's anything wrong if you want to buy a bunch of base cards, but it's just not for me. Personal interests, can we leave it at that?
No, we can't leave it at that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, you have been duped into believing the autograph cards and the jersey cards have some kind of premium value. Those values are artificial, driven by hype and marketing to help the card makers sell their product. There is no real instrinsic value - just the value created by hype. Give it a few years, the hype dies down and people see those cards for what they are. Elaborate scams. Upper Deck sells their inventory and makes their money, collectors are left with cards that lose value as they age.

Don't buy the hype. You are better off investing in Mike Bossy or Ken Dryden rookie cards - those have real value.

Old
09-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, you have been duped into believing the autograph cards and the jersey cards have some kind of premium value. Those values are artificial, driven by hype and marketing to help the card makers sell their product. There is no real instrinsic value - just the value created by hype. Give it a few years, the hype dies down and people see those cards for what they are. Elaborate scams. Upper Deck sells their inventory and makes their money, collectors are left with cards that lose value as they age.

Don't buy the hype. You are better off investing in Mike Bossy or Ken Dryden rookie cards - those have real value.
Believe me, if I had the money for it, i'd buy those type of cards. But I don't, so I buy what is available for me, which are the new cards. The closest thing that comes to it for me, is a 78-79 O-Pee-Chee Doug Wilson RC. Not much, but I was pumped when I bought something that old for $2 when I was 12 (7 years ago).

Also, I buy the auto/jersey cards for WHAT THEY ARE, not what they're worth. Regardless of the value, if it goes up or down, I like knowing that I have a John Tavares autograph. I won the auction on eBay for $10, so even if it DOES go down in value, its not like i'm out some crazy amount of money. I refuse to pay any more than $25 for CURRENT cards, with the most i've paid being I think $15 for one. And the only time I get boxes, are when they're given to me for gifts.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:35 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:

I agree and disagree with you.

Disagree
For me, I'm not collecting to make money off of my cards in the future so I would rather collect cards of my fav players over the cards that you mentioned. I don't plan on selling my cards but if I have emergency and need money, I know I will take a massive loss if I were to put my cards up for sale. I personally like the "current hyped" cards over "vintage" cards as well. I will give the same response to people who say, "I can't believe people will spend this much money on a Shield card when you could buy a game used jersey for much cheaper". I would rather collect cards then game used jerseys. Collecting current cards over vintage/game used items is just my preference of choice for my enjoyment, not a investment.

Agree (probably won't make sense, it's late and I'm tired but I'm agreeing with you)
It's like when pulling a game used jersey or auto card were one and every 200+ packs. During those times, those cards were worth something because they were rare and were hard to pull/acquire. But now, you get a jersey or auto in every box you buy. So having a game used jersey or auto card isn't worth the same like back in the day. Same with Shield cards, those were super rare but now the card companies are producing them every year which is bringing down the price of the cards as it gets older(for example, I paid $700 for a Nash shield. I paid that much because it was "hyped" because it was new and because it was a 1/1. Next year, the same card came out but it was from a different year. Then that card has all the hype and everyone wants that card. Had I tried selling my Nash card when the new one came out, I probably would have got $400 or less and not the $700). Before, shield cards were 1 copy per player. Last year, Panini came out with a high end set called Dominion. Some of the shield cards were 5 copies per player. They probably did that because they knew collectors would still want it(I'm guilty of being one those collectors). Did you know a lot of the rookies shield cards aren't game used? It's from a photoshoot and like you said, with the hype, people will spend big bucks for it(again, I'm guilty but I got lucky and mine might have been from a game and not a photoshoot). Panini just came out with a new card. It has the strings from the jersey by the collar. Lots of hype on those and think those are going for a decent amount right now. By next year, Upper Deck will do the same and Panini will come out with those type of cards and those cards won't be as special as it is today. Imo, eventually, the market will be flooded with those types of cards and the price of those cards will drop.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 09-01-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old
09-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Elever
Hth

Anyone here know or wanna share any stories or info about through-the-mail autograph cards? I started designing my own for recently retired guys but I wanna do some for Avs prospects. I found some of their addresses through sportscardforum but the problem is that with Joey Hishon for example, it lists his Owen Sound address where he played jnr rather than his AHL address or his hometown. And a lockout complicates it more, do you send it to Colorado or Lake Erie, etc.

Not really gonna bother getting them for Landeskog or Duchene or O'Reilly cos maybe the card would never return but would be cool to get them for prospects

Old
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
ForzaItalia

Anyone know of the Panini hockey sticker yearbooks? I have the older O-Pee-Chee ones. I have them filled out with all the stickers from 1981-82 season to 1986-87 season.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I gotta scrounge together 500 bucks.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Elever
Hth

I found a few hockey cards in a flea market out of all places today (in the basement of Dixie Outlet Mall near Toronto lol). Bunch of cheap ones, mainly Score cards from the 90s. Got really excited because I found a Valeri Kamensky card from his Nordique days lol, he was my 3rd favourite Avs player.

I thought I'd assemble a Valeri Kamensky card set because none of his cards are expensive and his NHL career wasn't 20 yrs or anything but there are 150+ Kamensky cards lol so not gonna bother with that (though I will try to find one from his last season which I haven't been able to do yet).

Couple questions, is there a database which lists every card every created for a player? Checkoutmycards has the majority but if the card is sold out then it won't list it. And other question, is there a place other than eBay for someone in Canada (or in the GTA) to buy really cheap base sets of cheap 90s cards? I saw some at a few Mississauga stores including the flea market but they were mostly $30+ and I've gotten UD Series 1 or 2 base sets alone from right now for ~$20.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Greeningfan14

Got 2 2012-2013 Score boxes, totally worth it.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Just saw that these were released in Panini Prime:

Has anyone seen helmet decal cards before?

Old
09-02-2012, 11:13 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Just saw that these were released in Panini Prime:

Has anyone seen helmet decal cards before?
I think Panini is the first company to produce helmet decal cards. I think ITG tried to back in the day but couldn't figure out how to make the helmet piece flat or something.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I want these cards just because they look so nice.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:17 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Some of those patches

Old
09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

It seems like The Cup gets released later and later every year. Quite a late release for a 11-12 set.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Elever
Hth

Does anyone know of a free sports card organizer software for hockey which lets you import an entire base set in and other cards without scanning the picture?

It doesn't need to have any buy/sell features, just care about being able to put players in without having to manually write out the card info.

Closed Thread