HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Collected when I was a kid, mostly mid-to-late-70s years. Been in a trunk with all my other cards for years. Happened across this thread and got me thinking about them. Maybe I'll post some pix.
That would be sweet to see some of them. If you are really interested in graded them and have questions....send me a private message and I'll give you a run down on my experience.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFanInVic2011 View Post
That would be sweet to see some of them. If you are really interested in graded them and have questions....send me a private message and I'll give you a run down on my experience.
Here are just a few, years are (I think) '74, 75, 79 and 80.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
melly451

I'm thinking about starting collecting hockey cards, and had a few questions. Which brand should I get? It's been a while since I've been down the trading card lane at a store, so I really only remember Upper Deck. Also, about how much are a pack? I don't want to get too nuts spending my cash on a hobby.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly451 View Post
I'm thinking about starting collecting hockey cards, and had a few questions. Which brand should I get? It's been a while since I've been down the trading card lane at a store, so I really only remember Upper Deck. Also, about how much are a pack? I don't want to get too nuts spending my cash on a hobby.
As far as I know, there are only 2 types of cards.
- Collector cards
- Rare cards

Do you want to buy a a pack for 3 bucks for 15 cards? Hoping for your favourite team and players?
Or do you want to buy a pack for 6 bucks for 4 cards? Hoping for a signed, used jersey patch that the odds are 1/64 boxes?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Chobomin

How much is a OPC Patrick Roy (10/mint) rookie card worth nowadays? I traded for one 15 years ago and it's sitting in my toy safe.

Wondering if I should let it go for a tidy sum or maybe keep it safe to pass down onto the next generation (when I start my own family that is).

Old
02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Free Hockey Card Day (meaning a special pack they make which is nice to have) this Saturday I think. Check the UD Blog for the list of stores.

The US one is the week after that I believe.
Yeah what's up with that? I might go to the stores here on Saturday for fun and see what all that's about. If you go to participating stores do you only get one pack per person?? Or can you buy the whole 16 card set for like $10 or whatnot.

Of course the one card that I really like from this set appears to be a "a gift with purchase from shop owners while supplies last." It's this 1987 Canada Cup Lemieux and Gretzky card here...

Pretty cool.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
tlallstar6

I have an order coming in today or tomorrow that I plan to bust this weekend.

1 - 2012/13 Panini Certified Hockey Hobby Box
1 - 2012/13 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Hobby Box
1 - FREE: 12 (L1) 9x 2011/12 Upper Deck Victory Hockey Pack

I ordered the exact same things two weeks ago.

Since I started collecting a few months ago, I have also opened a Panini Contenders 11/12, ITG Goalies 11/12, and a ton of miscellaneous ITG and Panini 11/12 packs from a local card shop.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlallstar6 View Post
I have an order coming in today or tomorrow that I plan to bust this weekend.

1 - 2012/13 Panini Certified Hockey Hobby Box
1 - 2012/13 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Hobby Box
1 - FREE: 12 (L1) 9x 2011/12 Upper Deck Victory Hockey Pack

I ordered the exact same things two weeks ago.

Since I started collecting a few months ago, I have also opened a Panini Contenders 11/12, ITG Goalies 11/12, and a ton of miscellaneous ITG and Panini 11/12 packs from a local card shop.
Don't like ITG products personally. A lot of grey area as to whether their game worn cards are genuine/certified.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Don't like ITG products personally. A lot of grey area as to whether their game worn cards are genuine/certified.
Ummm what?
As someone who's been collecting for almost 10 years, I can tell you that ITG is the only company that actually cares about their collectors. Dr.Price goes out of his way to get collectors opinions and is actively involved in the card collecting community. He participates on numerous message boards with us and even goes as far as asking which players we'd like to see included in the set. Over the past few years, i've personally given up on Upper Deck and their rotten customer service and I only crack ITG boxes nowadays.

I have no doubt that their game-worn cards are geniune/certified. Some collectors have even been able to photomatch their jersey/patch card to the exact game that the jersey was worn.

ITG has posted pictures of their warehouse with their game-used jerseys a couple of times and they've even brought some of their vintage game used stuff to the Toronto Expo. Almost all their jerseys are "game-worn" rather than Upper Deck who uses a lot of "photoshoot" jerseys..

I'm very curious as to where you got this information..

Old
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
tlallstar6

I got this card in my ITG goalie box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-ITG-Betwe...p2047675.l2557

only difference being it was Red. Must have been his team canada glove?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
This problem exists for all of the companies as the swatches are completely unverifiable.

ITG is run like a mom and pop organization where you have the quality controlled by one person who is a maverick and makes business decisions based on ego. There are stories where the owner will visit a local card shop with a stack of autographed cards...how's that for inventory control.

Then you have the big guys who hire monkeys to make cards...can they really tell me that patch is Sidney Crosby Penguins game used or is it leftover Noah Welch Penguins photo shoot?? Once cut up, it's super easy to get pieces of different players of same team mixed up.

Thus if I collect cards with jersey swatches, I don't pay a premium or consider them super-valuable based on the swatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Ummm what?
As someone who's been collecting for almost 10 years, I can tell you that ITG is the only company that actually cares about their collectors. Dr.Price goes out of his way to get collectors opinions and is actively involved in the card collecting community. He participates on numerous message boards with us and even goes as far as asking which players we'd like to see included in the set. Over the past few years, i've personally given up on Upper Deck and their rotten customer service and I only crack ITG boxes nowadays.

I have no doubt that their game-worn cards are geniune/certified. Some collectors have even been able to photomatch their jersey/patch card to the exact game that the jersey was worn.

ITG has posted pictures of their warehouse with their game-used jerseys a couple of times and they've even brought some of their vintage game used stuff to the Toronto Expo. Almost all their jerseys are "game-worn" rather than Upper Deck who uses a lot of "photoshoot" jerseys..

I'm very curious as to where you got this information..
None of ITG's stuff is licensed. To me and the majority of collectors, none of it's legit. There's no gray area here. 100% not legit for collecting. They are more like novelty cards.

Photoshoot jerseys are typically used on cards where a new player had not yet played any games at the time the cards were made. As someone who has no license, Dr. Price only uses non-NHL minor league game used for prospects...to be real he probably couldn't eve schedule a photoshoot with a current NHL-er.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

So who picked up their free pack of cards yesterday???

I wanted to, but given the fact that the roads are still a mess here I said **** it.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:42 PM
canadianmagpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
So who picked up their free pack of cards yesterday???

I wanted to, but given the fact that the roads are still a mess here I said **** it.
I guess they had more than they thought at the Hockey Day in Richmond, BC event because they were giving everyone three or four packs. Then if you got doubles then you would leave them on the table so that others could complete a set. I've got everything but that Gretzky/Lemieux card and I'll be giving that to my two and a half year old niece to see if she likes them.

I bought the first cards in about 15 years.... I was tempted to by a box from a seller but just stuck with a Peter Forsberg Challenge for the Cup jersey card and a Joe Sakic/Peter Forsberg double jersey card for $12. The Forsberg alone was $8-20 in the Beckett, the other I couldn't find but I'm pretty sure it would be more than $4 so even if I decided to sell at the low price, I could probably make my money back.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post
I guess they had more than they thought at the Hockey Day in Richmond, BC event because they were giving everyone three or four packs. Then if you got doubles then you would leave them on the table so that others could complete a set. I've got everything but that Gretzky/Lemieux card and I'll be giving that to my two and a half year old niece to see if she likes them.
You mean you don't have the Gretzky/Lemieux card because you're giving that card to your niece? Or your giving her the other 15 "normal" cards in the set?

Man I wish I could have gone out here and got a few packs yesterday. Easy little sets like this one (while often not worth much) are fun.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:18 AM
canadianmagpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
You mean you don't have the Gretzky/Lemieux card because you're giving that card to your niece? Or your giving her the other 15 "normal" cards in the set?

Man I wish I could have gone out here and got a few packs yesterday. Easy little sets like this one (while often not worth much) are fun.
Just giving her the 15 normal, though I don't have the Gretzky/Lemieux (didn't know about it before I read it on here).

One of my fondest memories was the McDonalds sets before they went all out crazy and made them more expensive to collect. I stopped buying McDonalds quite quickly after that.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
This problem exists for all of the companies as the swatches are completely unverifiable.

ITG is run like a mom and pop organization where you have the quality controlled by one person who is a maverick and makes business decisions based on ego. There are stories where the owner will visit a local card shop with a stack of autographed cards...how's that for inventory control.

Then you have the big guys who hire monkeys to make cards...can they really tell me that patch is Sidney Crosby Penguins game used or is it leftover Noah Welch Penguins photo shoot?? Once cut up, it's super easy to get pieces of different players of same team mixed up.

Thus if I collect cards with jersey swatches, I don't pay a premium or consider them super-valuable based on the swatch.

None of ITG's stuff is licensed. To me and the majority of collectors, none of it's legit. There's no gray area here. 100% not legit for collecting. They are more like novelty cards.

Photoshoot jerseys are typically used on cards where a new player had not yet played any games at the time the cards were made. As someone who has no license, Dr. Price only uses non-NHL minor league game used for prospects...to be real he probably couldn't eve schedule a photoshoot with a current NHL-er.
Either you're paranoid when it comes to this case or you dont know what you're talking about. ITG was licenced before and the fact they arent now has nothing to do with anything of their quality control. Upper Deck sometimes switch things up that has been seen on dual player jersey cards, but ITG uses only game-used memorabilia and i have little doubt in their products.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:31 AM
diceman934

Anyone know what this card maybe worth, I'm thinking of selling it. Hand auto from Orr.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

Anyone know what this card maybe worth, I'm thinking of selling it. Hand auto from Orr.
$75-100. I would buy it myself if i was'nt broke.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:37 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
75 bucks, maybe a little more.
Cool....I would have though it would be around $100 but $75 is nice.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Cool....I would have though it would be around $100 but $75 is nice.
You probably can get 100 when Ebay is'nt flooded by these and other Orrs from the same set anymore.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:51 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
You probably can get 100 when Ebay is'nt flooded by these and other Orrs from the same set anymore.
Thanks.....hit me with a PM if you are interested and can get the money soon.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:19 AM
AlMo

Quote:

You have a Mike Bossy rookie card there......think it sells for about 50 bucks or more. Nice card to have.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:

The Bossy is a sweet card. Is it Topps or OPC? I have a Bossy rookie that I sent in to get graded. It came back as a 3....the reason why?.....because of the centering....horrible centering. The rest of the card was perfect.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly451 View Post
You can't go wrong with Upper Deck. However, there are many variations of UD (eg. SPx, SP, Artifacts, Victory...the list goes on). They all have great insert cards which are the "money cards". The main companies now are UD, Panini and ITG. All three of them have some great inserts.

Of note....Beckett posted a press release a few weeks ago indicating that the rookies cards that are currently out for this year's sets....are the only rookies that will be published this season. For for guys like Yakupov for the Oilers....one will have to wait until Oct to get his rookie. card.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

If collectors were afraid or it wasn't legit then I'm sure Beckett would publish their cards in the monthly magazine. Just saying.

Closed Thread