HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappy View Post
How much is a OPC Patrick Roy (10/mint) rookie card worth nowadays? I traded for one 15 years ago and it's sitting in my toy safe.

Wondering if I should let it go for a tidy sum or maybe keep it safe to pass down onto the next generation (when I start my own family that is).
The big question is which company graded the card? If it's a Beckett (not a BCCG) it could be worth quite a bit. Ebay currently has a 9.5 Beckett listed for $1425.00.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFanInVic2011 View Post
The big question is which company graded the card? If it's a Beckett (not a BCCG) it could be worth quite a bit. Ebay currently has a 9.5 Beckett listed for $1425.00.
You can get a graded Gretzky (granted only 8.5) for less than that. The Gretzky rookie has a BV of 800 compared to Roy's 150ish.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

Anyone know what this card maybe worth, I'm thinking of selling it. Hand auto from Orr.
The only thing I could find was this exact card on eBay for $66

Old
02-10-2013, 01:18 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You can get a graded Gretzky (granted only 8.5) for less than that. The Gretzky rookie has a BV of 800 compared to Roy's 150ish.
Beckett's values are when ungraded. Try an eBay search for a high grade Gretzky and see how much they are.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

Anyone know what this card maybe worth, I'm thinking of selling it. Hand auto from Orr.
You should get around 75 dollars for it. I see your card is at 66 with 11 bids.

Quote:
Beckett's values are when ungraded. Try an eBay search for a high grade Gretzky and see how much they are.

For an older card what do you consider a high grade ? For me and a Gretzky rookie it's 7, or higher.

There's a 9 for 5,500
7.5 for 1,200
3 for 550 (and KSA)
8 at 751 with 4 hours left
5 at 200 with 17 hours to go.
8 with 1 day left at 400 0 bids.

Last edited by Analyzer*: 02-10-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 01:42 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
You should get around 75 dollars for it. I see your card is at 66 with 11 bids.

For an older card what do you consider a high grade ? For me and a Gretzky rookie it's 7, or higher.

There's a 9 for 5,500
7.5 for 1,200
3 for 550 (and KSA)
8 at 751 with 4 hours left
5 at 200 with 17 hours to go.
8 with 1 day left at 400 0 bids.
I have looked at the 9's on eBay. There are three Beckett's 9 on for $5000, $5500 and $6500, a PSA $5500. Me, a high grade for vintage cards would be 8 or higher.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Steve Bennett*

Hey! I have a question. And I didn't really wanna read 12 pages thoroughly to find out. Are upper deck hockey cards from the early 90s worth anything? I mean obviously it depends on the player but are any of those gems? And is there a reliable way to find out?

Old
02-10-2013, 02:47 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
Hey! I have a question. And I didn't really wanna read 12 pages thoroughly to find out. Are upper deck hockey cards from the early 90s worth anything? I mean obviously it depends on the player but are any of those gems? And is there a reliable way to find out?
Virtually nothing.

The best RCs from that time (Selanne or Forsberg for example), can be found on ebay at any given time for a couple of dollars.

The inserts (like the Gordie Howe set that I worked so hard to complete) can be found for less than a dollar if you get the right auction.

There are just way too many of them out there.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Virtually nothing.

The best RCs from that time (Selanne or Forsberg for example), can be found on ebay at any given time for a couple of dollars.

The inserts (like the Gordie Howe set that I worked so hard to complete) can be found for less than a dollar if you get the right auction.

There are just way too many of them out there.
Too bad, but good to finally know, thanks!

Old
02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
Too bad, but good to finally know, thanks!
Ya, the unfortunate thing was most cards in the 1990's there was one word for that time frame...overproduction. Even the insert cards are not that highly valued. As previously mentioned a Forsberg or Selanne are in the $3-5 range. But if graded a 9.5 or 10 can be between $50-$100 range.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
The only thing I could find was this exact card on eBay for $66
I have a different card, same card different number.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Tinalera

Wow, reading through this thread and everyone's stories and card pictures, thanks for the trip in the way back machine

Cards were what feels like a lifetime ago for me, but seeing the cards bring back some good memories

Old
02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

I was a big Ray Bourque collector from about, oh say Mid-80's thru mid/late 2000's. Had virtually every card made of him from the beginning through about 1999-2000ish (and those of you who were around through the Pacific Parallel days know what a big deal that is, LOL!!)

All in all i gathered a massive collection of, I don't know - 100,000 cards? Let's put it this way - I used a miniscule portion of it as collateral to buy my first home.

Then one year, Ray Bourque had (and I remember this distinctly) 49 different Game-Worn Jersey cards FROM UPPER DECK ALONE! And - that's when I decided it was time to switch my collecting habits!

So I decided to change things up a bit and do my own thing... I started to MAKE my own hockey cards... Primarily Cut Autograph cards. I enjoyed the process of designing and actually putting them together, and it made for real nice ways to display some of the autographs that I had aquired over the years...

These are a small sample of my home-made jobbies... A number of them have subsequently been slabbed by PSA/DNA...

This one I actually gave away to a friend:

This one I just recently sold on EBay... First and only homemade jobbie I've sold.

This is one of a set of three cards featuring the "Miracle On Ice Counterparts"...
There's this "Coaches" card (the final actual physical card has a white Victor Tikhonov autograph) - and there will be a "Captains" card with Eruzione and Boris Mikhailov cuts, and a "Keepers" card with Jim Craig and Vladislav Tretiak cut autos.

(and the back)

That's a few of them, anyways... If I get some more time, I'll post some more...

Old
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
MrGrinch

My most valuable cards are my Gretzky rookies (x3). Had them ever since I was a kid and one is signed. They aren't in pristine shape but each would definitely pass for a pretty good card and a few bucks.

Funny story when I got the Gretzky card signed I snuck into the old Winnipeg Arena. I was probably like 10 years old and me and a few friends used to do this most weekends (you could always find one door unlocked). The jets were just finishing up practice and Messier and Gretzky were sitting on the bench watching ice cleanup. I was too nervous to ask the Great One for his autograph, so when Mess made eye contact with me hovering over the glass I asked "Mr. Messier can Mr. Gretzky sign my hockey card for me". LOL. He replied and said something like "He's right here why don't you ask him yourself!!". Ah to be a kid again... will never forget that.

My most prized possession are without a doubt my set of 1924 Maple Crispette Montreal Canadiens hockey cards that I found in a shoe box at a garage sale!! Only 25 of the 30 card set are there but my most prized from the collection is the great Georges Vezina. If I have a chance I'll post a few pics...

Old
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
I was a big Ray Bourque collector from about, oh say Mid-80's thru mid/late 2000's. Had virtually every card made of him from the beginning through about 1999-2000ish (and those of you who were around through the Pacific Parallel days know what a big deal that is, LOL!!)

All in all i gathered a massive collection of, I don't know - 100,000 cards? Let's put it this way - I used a miniscule portion of it as collateral to buy my first home.

Then one year, Ray Bourque had (and I remember this distinctly) 49 different Game-Worn Jersey cards FROM UPPER DECK ALONE! And - that's when I decided it was time to switch my collecting habits!

So I decided to change things up a bit and do my own thing... I started to MAKE my own hockey cards... Primarily Cut Autograph cards. I enjoyed the process of designing and actually putting them together, and it made for real nice ways to display some of the autographs that I had aquired over the years...

These are a small sample of my home-made jobbies... A number of them have subsequently been slabbed by PSA/DNA...

This one I actually gave away to a friend:

This one I just recently sold on EBay... First and only homemade jobbie I've sold.

This is one of a set of three cards featuring the "Miracle On Ice Counterparts"...
There's this "Coaches" card (the final actual physical card has a white Victor Tikhonov autograph) - and there will be a "Captains" card with Eruzione and Boris Mikhailov cuts, and a "Keepers" card with Jim Craig and Vladislav Tretiak cut autos.

(and the back)

That's a few of them, anyways... If I get some more time, I'll post some more...
These look better than the majority of cards made these days, well done!! Also, i've always wondered how people make cards.. is it a difficult thing to do? What do you need to do it?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:57 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
These look better than the majority of cards made these days, well done!! Also, i've always wondered how people make cards.. is it a difficult thing to do? What do you need to do it?
For the design I use Photoshop...

As for actual construction... Printing: I've tried a hundred different ways: different printers, papers, etc - Printing services, etc... It always comes back to my inkjet on good photo paper (I have a pretty good inkjet that I use for work purposes... It does a nicer job than - say - Walgreens/Rite Aid or Staples or anything...)

Then it's a matter of cutting and adhering the different layers together. Different custom guys have different methods - I have mine that seems to work pretty well for me (would take an hour to write out step by step directions, so I won't do that)

But suffice it to say: Trial and error is your best bet!

Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Elever
Hth

What do you use to ge tthe back and front of the card to stick together? For my customs, I print the newer ones on photo paper and vintage looking ones on cardstock. The problem I have though is getting them to stick together. I can of course just stick the back and front together but then it's too thin and not thick like an actual card so I'd need something in between. I've tried cutting out pieces of cardboard from cereal or cookie boxes but it doesn't work. Also what trimmer do you use? Fisskars?

Also for the Honoured Members cards which have Cyclone Taylor, Horner, Quackenbush, etc on them, how to you get that white-ish faded out outline outside the player?

Old
02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
What do you use to ge tthe back and front of the card to stick together? For my customs, I print the newer ones on photo paper and vintage looking ones on cardstock. The problem I have though is getting them to stick together. I can of course just stick the back and front together but then it's too thin and not thick like an actual card so I'd need something in between. I've tried cutting out pieces of cardboard from cereal or cookie boxes but it doesn't work. Also what trimmer do you use? Fisskars?

Also for the Honoured Members cards which have Cyclone Taylor, Horner, Quackenbush, etc on them, how to you get that white-ish faded out outline outside the player?
Sticking them together: Spray mount / spray adhesive. Available in most hardware stores.

Cutting them out: An OLFA knife and metal straightedge... (one of those heavier duty x-acto type knifes with snap-off blades). Always assemble your card with "extra" material (ie - assemble a card that is 4"x3" and then cut it down to 3-1/2" x 2-1/2")

As far as achieving thickness or heft to the card... I use either a decent card stock, or (preferably) some matte photo paper between... It really depends on what I'm making. For cut auto cards, I will always use a decent matte photo paper between my "front image" and my "back image". Actually - a couple layers: on that is cut out to receive the cut auto, and one as a backer. Then apply my front image (with the cutout for the auto) on top, and apply the back image over the backer I just mentioned. Four layers of decent photo paper (front, back, and 2 inside) actually makes for a very nice card thickness... some heft without being too clunky.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Oh - and as far as the "glow" around the guys?

I forget - I think in this case I simply used the pen to brush around them and then erased the edges (set the eraser to to a low-flow and low opacity and make multiple passes)

Usually I'd just use an "outer glow" to achieve a similar effect, but I think in this case I was looking for a more "hazy cloudy" look...

Those were done a long time ago though - And I'm getting pretty old! My memory ain't what it used to be!

Old
02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

I need some help fellow collectors!! I'm planning on buying m'lady a ring for our 2-year anniversary next month.. The ring is $599, but since I don't have all the cash and am currently unemployed, I figured it was about time to sell off some of my cards.. Only problem is I don't know what to ask/expect for them!!

Now, there's only 3 cards.. but the BV for them combined is around $450.. The three cards are:

1) 1957-58 Topps John Bucyk RC... BV $250.00
2) 1978-79 OPC Mike Bossy RC... BV $100.00
3) 2011-12 UD Ryan Nugent-Hopkins RC... BV $100.00 (last time I checked)

The RNH I pulled from the pack and put in a penny sleeve followed by a toploader, so i'm not worried about the condition of it. As for the Bucyk and Bossy, I won those on eBay for $50 and $20 respectively.

Condition wise, the Bossy has no creases or rough spots. I'd say the corners are 9-9.5/10, but i'm not a professional. Compared to pictures online, the colouring looks a tad bit darker but that may just be my screen brightness..

The Bucyk isn't in perfect shape.. but it's not in bad shape either. If I had to mark it out of 10, i'd say a 7.. There are no creases or bends on the card, and the only actual flaws I can see are that the corners are a bit dinged, the top edge has a few "rough" spots and the centring is a tad bit off. I knew this going in, but considering who it is and the fact it was only $50, I had to do it..

I don't expect to get $450 back.. I'd never ask for book value.. So what should I ask/expect to get back?

Old
02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

^ I'll try and upload pictures of the cards later on.. that way you can see for yourself.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

I know the ungraded RNHs are selling at about $65 right now. That's on eBay though, so the sellers are pocketing less than $60 after fees.

I don't know much about older/vintage cards pricing though.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I know the ungraded RNHs are selling at about $65 right now. That's on eBay though, so the sellers are pocketing less than $60 after fees.

I don't know much about older/vintage cards pricing though.
That low?! Any time i've seen them they were around $90! Either way, I was going to sell them via Kijiji, that way I can just do everything in person.. and we both KNOW what we're getting.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:36 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Mhm, 65$ is about what you should expect to get for the RNH, I bought one a couple of days ago for 60$.

The older cards you have are a lot harder to put values on without pictures but here's a rough idea..
When it comes to vintage cards, if they're not graded, they won't return nearly as much as they would if they were slabbed. Here's a rough idea of what you can get assuming they aren't graded.

Regarding the Bossy, if it's in absolute perfect condition, I could see it fetching around 75$. Anything less, you'd be looking at around 50$ or so.

The Bucyk, with a card that old I'd have to see a picture. But you said you'd grade it a 7, that's a very high grade for a 50's card. By your description of the card, it doesn't sound like a card with a grade of 7. Just for reference, this is a card graded 7:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Topps-H...p2047675.l2557

But like I said, pictures are a necessity when it comes to vintage cards. Would love to see some pics

Old
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Chobomin

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will do a bit more research and see. AFAIK the card is in absolute perfect condition (for a 25+ year old card anyway). I've had it since grade 8, and now hitting 30, I may need to sell it for real life expenses, but I would prefer not to as it does hold sentimental value and just good ol' memories of when I still collected cards.

BTW, where is a good source/local place to do grading around Vancouver?

Closed Thread